32 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best?

• Fellowship's Theme
    • Isengard's Theme
    • Gondor's Theme
    • Rohan's Theme
    • Mordor's Theme
    • Evenstar (Aragorn and Arwen's Theme)
    • Eowyn's Theme (TT: The Riders of Rohan, 1:42)
    • Hobbit Theme #1 (FotR: Concerning Hobbits, 0:05)
    • Hobbit Theme #2 (FotR: Concerning Hobbits, 0:23)
    • The Ring's Theme (ROTK: A Storm Is Coming, 0:33)
    • Hope's Theme (TT: Isengard Unleashed, 2:12)
    • Rivendell's Theme (FotR: Many Meetings, very beggining)
    • Lothlorien's Theme

With ROTK: CR coming soon, I felt this poll was appropriate.

For the themes that I thought may be unclear, I've provided the point of a certain cue where you can hear them. If any of the other themes are unclear, tell me, and I'll supply the same for them. I think I've included all the themes, but I may have forgotten a few.

Here are my favorites:

1. Gondor's Theme

2. Fellowship's Theme

3. Hope's Theme

4. Rohan's Theme

5. Hobbit Theme # 2

6. Hobbit Theme #1

7. Eowyn's Theme

8. The Ring's Theme

9. Rivendell's Theme

10. Lothlorien's Theme

The rest are great, but IMO, not up to par with the others.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a tough call between two for me. The Ring theme reached out and grabbed me from the beginning of my first viewing of the first film and never let go. I went and bought the CD after just for that (how angry I was when the only statement on the whole disc was the Great River/Argonath one). But the Gondor theme has grown on me more and more, much like RotK as a whole. Hmmmmm...

And I have to give a mention to one of my personal favorites that's not on the list: the Seduction of the Ring theme.

What's the Seduction of the Ring theme? Is it different from Gollum's first theme?
Yes, it's the boys choir theme that plays usually when someone's handling the ring.
Is that the one that consists of 8 notes for the first phrase of the cue? I belive it has 2 eight notes followed by 3 quarter notes, followed by 3 eight notes.
It's a tough call between two for me. The Ring theme reached out and grabbed me from the beginning of my first viewing of the first film and never let go. I went and bought the CD after just for that (how angry I was when the only statement on the whole disc was the Great River/Argonath one). But the Gondor theme has grown on me more and more, much like RotK as a whole. Hmmmmm...And I have to give a mention to one of my personal favorites that's not on the list: the Seduction of the Ring theme.
Is it just me, or does 1:54 of "The Great River" sound very similiar to 7:18 from "The Necklace, The Return, Finale" (from the score Vertigo)? I'm not trying to say Shore copied Herrmann--I'm just pointing out an observation. They both sound magnificent!

I actually only know a few of these...was there ever a thematic analysis of any of these scores?

Ray Barnsbury

Not that I know of...

Here's where the themes are shown in their original form(NOTE: None of these are from the CR):

Gondor's Theme - ROTK: Minas Tirith, 2:47

Fellowship's Theme - TT: The Uruk-Hai, 0:29

Isengard's Theme - TT: Isengard Unleashed, 1:21

Rohan's Theme - TT: King of the Golden Hall, 0:53

Mordor's Theme - TT: The Uruk-Hai, 1:48 (NOTE: at 2:45, it transitions into Isengard's Theme)

Evenstar - FotR: Evenstar ;) , the very beggining

Eowyn's Theme - TT: The Riders of Rohan, 1:42

Hobbit Theme #1 - FotR: Concerning Hobbits, 0:05

Hobbit Theme #2 - FotR: Concerning Hobbits, 0:23

The Ring's Theme - ROTK: A Storm Is Coming, 0:33

Hope's Theme - TT: Isengard Unleashed, 2:12

Rivendell's Theme - FotR: Many Meetings, very beggining

Lothlorien's Theme - FotR: Lothlorien ;) , very beggining

Then there are those themes John Crichton was talking about. I know what he means, but I can't seem to find it in the soundtrack. You can ask him about that.

With ROTK: CR coming soon, I felt this poll was appropriate.

It ouwld be more appropiate when it had come available... to judge ROTK properly...

I think im with either gondor theme or the 'moth/eagles - gandalf - nature' theme.

I actually only know a few of these...was there ever a thematic analysis of any of these scores?

Ray Barnsbury

Not that I know of...

mmm isnt what the CR booklets and pdfs are about?

^Indeed. How can I vote for my favourite theme if it isn't on the list? Or is it "Hope's Theme"?

Failing that I'd vote for the Gondor theme, particularly the fantastic Lighting of the Beacons statement of it.

What's with the current flood of LotR threads recently?

You are aware of the Complete Recordings, aren't you?

You are aware of the Complete Recordings, aren't you?

Yes, but I meant by someone at the board, as has been done for Hook and the Potter scores. I'm not interested in purchasing the Complete Recordings, I was just curious about what the various themes represent, which it seems indy4 has addressed for me. Thanks!

Ray Barnsbury

Which is the eerie theme that begins each of the movies? I thought it was called the "history theme". It plays as the "wingnut" credits are showing. That's by far the best theme of all three mundane scores. I'd like to vote for it but have no idea which of the titles on the poll refer to that theme.

I'm not interested in purchasing the Complete Recordings

:o

:blink:

*sigh* Someone go ahead and call me blind, get it over with. ;)

Ray Barnsbury - who's intentionally not insulting the scores

Which is the eerie theme that begins each of the movies? I thought it was called the "history theme". It plays as the "wingnut" credits are showing. That's by far the best theme of all three mundane scores. I'd like to vote for it but have no idea which of the titles on the poll refer to that theme.

Ring theme.

Ring theme.

I've always thought of it as the 'History' theme too. Isn't the Ring theme the little descending melody heard many times during fotr? Like when Bilbo finally gives up the Ring for instance. Its certainly broody and evil enough to be the Ring's musical signature.

I'm not interested in purchasing the Complete Recordings

:o

:blink:

*sigh* Someone go ahead and call me blind, get it over with. ;)

Ray Barnsbury - who's intentionally not insulting the scores

I'm not at all criticising your point of view.

I'm just very, very surprised at the sudden about-turn I've seen on here with opinions on LotR. One minute the board is going crazy about the next CR arriving, the next it's discussing how 'boring' they are....

Hmm, it doesn't seem much different to me. There's always been a pretty vocal and fervent majority that loves the scores, and then a seemingly smaller group that ranges from indifference to dislike. As I've said before, I certainly enjoy parts of the scores, but don't think they're as great as a lot of people do.

Ray Barnsbury

Ring theme.

I've always thought of it as the 'History' theme too. Isn't the Ring theme the little descending melody heard many times during fotr? Like when Bilbo finally gives up the Ring for instance. Its certainly broody and evil enough to be the rings musical signature.

Prophecy theme maybe?

This a very difficult decision. It probably comes down to Fellowship, Nature, and the first Shire theme. I'll go with the 'Shire' theme.

Where is Sam's theme?

Sam has a theme?! Where is that?

Hmm, it doesn't seem much different to me. There's always been a pretty vocal and fervent majority that loves the scores, and then a seemingly smaller group that ranges from indifference to dislike. As I've said before, I certainly enjoy parts of the scores, but don't think they're as great as a lot of people do.

Ray Barnsbury

The LOTR scores had to grow on me. It's a different mode than the usual film score style--less contemporary, as requested by Jackson. When I first heard audio clips I was very much unimpressed, outside of the clip I heard for "The Black Riders," which sounded perfect to me, having read the books. Then I saw a bit of Fellowship, where Gandalf goes to visit Saruman at Orthanc, and that statement of the Fellowship theme hit me, and I was like, "Wait...maybe there's something to this." The more I listen to them, the more I get it, and the more I find to enjoy.

I highly recommend giving the Complete Recordings a chance, because there are some really cool bits that are exclusive to the extended scores--"Caras Galadhon" is an example, as well as some of the new Rivendell music. And of course, the Shire music is beautiful.

Delorean90--who can't pick between the Fellowship theme, the History of the Ring theme, and the Shire theme

The LOTR scores had to grow on me. It's a different mode than the usual film score style--less contemporary, as requested by Jackson. When I first heard audio clips I was very much unimpressed, outside of the clip I heard for "The Black Riders," which sounded perfect to me, having read the books. Then I saw a bit of Fellowship, where Gandalf goes to visit Saruman at Orthanc, and that statement of the Fellowship theme hit me, and I was like, "Wait...maybe there's something to this." The more I listen to them, the more I get it, and the more I find to enjoy.

Fellowship did not really click with me untill I saw the film a few weeks after I got the CD.

Perhaps that's the biggest difference between John Williams and Howard Shore.

Yes. "Samwise the Brave" from Two Towers.
I don't think that 's really a theme, but it played several times throughout the trilogy. Very beautiful!
The Gondor theme is there, where's the Minas Tirith theme?
They're the same thing. Minas Tirith is the only place you ever get to go to in Gondor (apart from Osgiliath, which defenetly doesn't have a theme).

The Rohan Theme.

Especially as played in "Glamdring"

Hypnotic.

In fact I daresay "Glamdring" is one of the finest film compositions ever. The wide shot of Gandalf and the flaming Balrog falling down the chasm from a distance juxtaposed with Shore's amazing choral work in those few seconds is one of those shots that will forever be engrained in my memory, thanks in no small part to the music. The scope of that moment is just beyond epic or monumental.

In fact I daresay "Glamdring" is one of the finest film compositions ever. The wide shot of Gandalf and the flaming Balrog falling down the chasm from a distance juxtaposed with Shore's amazing choral work in those few seconds is one of those shots that will forever be engrained in my memory, thanks in no small part to the music. The scope of that moment is just beyond epic or monumental.

It's the best cue in TTT (though in my opinion that's not saying much). I also think that's the most overall perfect scene in the entire trilogy.

So much to say, so little time ...

Anyway, the Minas Tirith Theme and the Gondor Theme are not the same. The Gondor Theme is the one heard in "The White Tree", the Minas Tirith Theme or "Silver Trumpets", as somoe call it, is the theme that many associate with Anduril. But it stands for Minas Tirith, not Anduril, which is why you hear it in the additional scene in ROTK, when Gandalf talks about the downfall of Gondor.

Secondly, the motif you hear when Bilbo drops the ring is not some obscure "prophecy" motif, it's the Descending Third motif, one of several Mordor motifs. It's more of a pattern than a motif, but this, amongst others, is the spine of the Mordor music; it's used to depict an air of impending doom. The Skip Beat Ostinato, the Thread Of Mordor and the Descending Third motif are prominent and almost standalone themes in the first act of FOTR, when the threat of Mordor is still just in the air, and has therefor no right to musically dominate yet.

These motifs are short and poignant, so Shore can very poignantly use villainous material without having to quote a lengthy melody.

As the orcs are more and more shown as an extension of Sauron, these shorter motifs are progressively layered with more prominent Mordor material.

And all these brief patterns are mirror images of similar Hobbit figures.

The proper names of the Shire themes are Pensieve Setting, Rural Setting, Hymn Setting and A Hobbit's Understanding. Their accompaniments, which form a mirror to the Mordor stuff, are Hobbit Outline Figure, Hobbit Two-Step Figure, The End Cap, The Hobbit Skip Beat.

The correct name of the theme at the beginning of each film is The History Of The One Ring.

It baffles me that people generally disregarding LotR have so very little understanding of its purpose and meaning.

About the themes: everybody always talks about the obvious choices, Gondor, Rohan, Ring Theme ... but the far greater bliss of LotR lies in smaller themes. I adore for instance "Diminishment Of The Elves", playing when Aragorn visits his mother's grave; or the ingenius Dwarves/ Balrog writing. Or "Evil Times". Or "The Journey There".

It's the best cue in TTT (though in my opinion that's not saying much). I also think that's the most overall perfect scene in the entire trilogy.

Best cue? I don't know, but yes, the scene is arguably the best.

The Rohan Theme.

Especially as played in "Glamdring"

Please explain...

A cue is named after Gandalf's sword? And it has the Rohan theme in it? You mentioned the falling battle with the Balrog. I'm confused :blink::)

sad the CGI-real life blend looks strange.