Good Music Ruined by Your Life....

BLUMENKOHL

Sound can be like a smell, we tend to associate it with events or memories, more than many of our other senses...

So some of you may (or may not) have noticed my absence and lack of interest in the Indiana Jones IV thread and the upcoming movie respectively. Which is a bit odd, because the Indiana Jones series and all things related used to be one of the things I was almost obsessively into...until it became associated with a downward spiral in my life, way back in the olden days...almost a decade ago. To this day, I can no longer really enjoy Indiana Jones or the movies as I used, which is truly truly depressing in and of itself.

Any others out there, suffering from soundtrack-depravity due to association? What soundtrack? Why (if you want to explain)?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean something bad was happening in your life, and it happened to happen when an Indiana Jones movie came out, so now you don't like them?

Sound can be like a smell, we tend to associate it with events or memories, more than many of our other senses...

So some of you may (or may not) have noticed my absence and lack of interest in the Indiana Jones IV thread and the upcoming movie respectively. Which is a bit odd, because the Indiana Jones series and all things related used to be one of the things I was almost obsessively into...until it became associated with a downward spiral in my life, way back in the olden days...almost a decade ago. To this day, I can no longer really enjoy Indiana Jones or the movies as I used, which is truly truly depressing in and of itself.

Any others out there, suffering from soundtrack-depravity due to association? What soundtrack? Why (if you want to explain)?

I really can't say that I do...

There are music, that I love, that is attached to some hard and painful moments... yet, the music remains closer to my heart than the pain.

One time, I thought I was all in love with this chick, so I found this song to associate with my feelings and inspire me.

What a fuckup that was. I don't mind, the song, though, it's still positively affecting in a bittersweet way.

Hook is forever attached to my ex-wife. Do I have a problem with this Williams amazing work? Of course I don't...

And is not being a stroger person... is just the way I am. I can fully understand your point, and I would say that is more than normal to such a thing happen.

I made a bad decision once when I was listening to "The Sith Spacecraft and The Droid Battle". It's forever tainted.

"Lando's Palace," too. Yeesh that was a bad day. Ruined two of my favorite tracks.

I find that these associations disappear when one resolves the pain in one's heart that occurred during the "tainting" of the music. And keep listening to it when you are having happier times and it will become untainted. My son and my wife color everything we experience together with joy . I have had many horrible times and memories, but all's well that ends well :lol:. Just keep your chin up and redefine your regrets as learning tools.

I have had music remind me of things, but they have normally been good times, or old times. Whenever I heard "Dry Your Tears, Afrika," I think of a really great time in my life.

Schindler's List has really caused some problems in my life. Locals weren't too happy when I played "Jewish Town" once in the Muslim quarter of Jerusalem. And that guy with Altzheimers disease in that nursing home didn't appreciate me playing "Stolen Memories" in the background, either. Sorry, I couldn't resist it because when Miguel said that "Hook" is forever associated with this ex-wife, I burst out laughing. Anyway no I can't think of any particular orchestral works that are associate with bad times in my life. Usually I find it is songs that connect most strongly to events in my life. As an example, "Zombie" by the Cranberries will forever be associated with a nubile gyrating Thai woman dancing around a pole in a bar on Ko Samui in Thailand. :lol:

I've never really had this experience, my life is really dull and boring. I get up, go to school, come home, do homework, go to sleep, repeat.

Music is probably the only thing in my life that makes it interesting. Without music, I could not live, it's what gets me up in the morning. Being able to wake up, turn on my iPod and listen to something like Dry Your Tears, Afrika or Immolation (With Our Lives, We Give Life) makes me look forward to the next day.

I can understand what some of you have gone through or are going through, and its a shame some of your favorite music is ruined by those moments. I am still young, so maybe my life holds something more, only time can tell.

I've never really had this experience, my life is really dull and boring.

I get up, go to school, come home, do homework, go to sleep, repeat.

Don't worry. We've all been there in that routine at some stage.

Immolation (With Our Lives, We Give Life) makes me look forward to the next day.

Are you kidding? Sorry if you're not. But it's not exactly a "Yippeee, another day" piece :lol:

I am still young, so maybe my life holds something more, only time can tell.

Never say never again. Always keep your doors open. Life is full of surprises. :folder:

Jeez you people have some baggage.

Though I can't really talk, because Hook represents something to me, but like with all good music, it too is good.

I've never really had this experience, my life is really dull and boring.

I get up, go to school, come home, do homework, go to sleep, repeat.

Don't worry. We've all been there in that routine at some stage.

Immolation (With Our Lives, We Give Life) makes me look forward to the next day.

Are you kidding? Sorry if you're not. But it's not exactly a "Yippeee, another day" piece :mellow:

I am still young, so maybe my life holds something more, only time can tell.

Never say never again. Always keep your doors open. Life is full of surprises. :D

In reference to Immolation, I don't go "Yippeee, another day" just to let you know :lol: What I meant was that it is very personal and important to me. IMO, it's the best piece of music ever written, and it shakes the core of me. It brings emotions that make life what it is.

No. I dont seem to associate music with events in my life.

Me neither.

That's sort of a shame, because it can make your listening experiance even better than normal. Apparently, though (although this hasn't happend to me) it can make it worse, too.

Ah, I have plenty of those CD's. But I make a goal to re-listen to them after a coulpe of years, and forget about the experience - focusing on the music makes you get over said experience. That being said, don't ask me to listen to any of Gershwin's operettas.

Also, Stefan Cosman ruined the Titanic CD for me.

How Can I remember from Sabrina associates to the times when I metand fell in love with my wife. Now I hate the piece.
The mix of that song and a preety girl will do it... it never fails from making you fall in love :mellow:
In reference to Immolation, I don't go "Yippeee, another day" just to let you know :lol: What I meant was that it is very personal and important to me. IMO, it's the best piece of music ever written, and it shakes the core of me. It brings emotions that make life what it is.
Then you really should get the new recording of it with the Boston Pops and the Tanglewood Festival Chorus under Lockhart.

How Can I remember from Sabrina associates to the times when I met

and fell in love with my wife. Now I hate the piece.

The mix of that song and a preety girl will do it... it never fails from making you fall in love :mellow:

I've listened to it and I felt nothing... yet again, I've never been in love.

And was there a good looking girl in front of you? That would made all the diference.

For me, and this is a shame, the music of Bernard Herrmann is almost unlistenable because of the very occurrence to which you are referring. Strange, just a few weeks ago I thought about posting this same thread.

I first began to get into Herrmann's music right at the time when my parents split up. For me, if I listen to Scene d'Amour from Vertigo, it's me sitting there, alone in our house, looking out the window, in the middle of a miserable dead valley summer, wondering what was going to happen. Again, it's a shame, because his music is terrific, but the association...

The Accidental Tourist is also a bit of a downer associationwise, but it's much less of a big deal-- that was just a girl.

And was there a good looking girl in front of you? That would made all the diference.

Even so, I have state-of-the-art resistance powers.

You're gay?

You're gay?

No... he's just stronger than us! :lol:

I was listening to Geisha when the called me to say my friend was in coma. :mellow:

I stopped playing the ipod.

But afterwards, i somehow made the odd connection between leaving the playing in pause and her status. I didnt like that, so i unpaused the music, with the strange hope that her life will continue also. I didnt want to let the battery worn out with the music in pause and then be reset.

I think i did not listen to Geisha for some time after it. But i did not want to let than happen with such beautiful music.

Music always has an uplifting quality to me, probably because my entire life revolves around it.

Regardless of the atmosphere or sentiments the music induces, I am immensely satisfied experiencing it.

For me, music is also a "separate reality", untainted by external reality.

When I write, life makes sense to me, life is beautiful. I have similar feelings when listening to music I enjoy.

Be it mournful, jaunty or jubilant, I am a happy and grateful listener.

Only bad music depresses me. Badly written music, that is.

Music always has an uplifting quality to me, probably because my entire life revolves around it.

Regardless of the atmosphere or sentiments the music induces, I am immensely satisfied experiencing it.

For me, music is also a "separate reality", untainted by external reality.

When I write, life makes sense to me, life is beautiful. I have similar feelings when listening to music I enjoy.

Be it mournful, jaunty or jubilant, I am a happy and grateful listener.

Only bad music depresses me. Badly written music, that is.

My feeling exactly.

Count me in on it too. Some people say, no thanks, I get depressed when I listen to minor mood music. I say, when art manages to squeeze out an emotion, you must consider yourself very happy and you ought to be praising the creator.

Alex

I was in two car accidents within a month and both times "The Helicopter Rescue" was playing. I didn't listen to Superman for quite a while after that.

I was in two car accidents within a month and both times "The Helicopter Rescue" was playing. I didn't listen to Superman for quite a while after that.

I was in a car accident while listening to Williams' Bassoon Concerto. Keep loving it...

I was in a car accident while listening to Williams' Bassoon Concerto. Keep loving it...

Yeah, but you have a John Towner Mobile. :(

Yeah, but you have a John Towner Mobile. :(

Well, it was on another car...

And I wasn't driving myself.

Yeah, but you have a John Towner Mobile. :D

oh :(

Yeah, but you have a John Towner Mobile. :D

oh :(

But no one got hurt, so that was fine... The car, on the other hand...

I tend to associate music with a specific mood (the one it conveys) rather than an event or moment in my life.

I tend to avoid music that has any particular meaning to me when I'm going through a bad time.

Last year when I broke up with my (now ex) girlfriend, that's when CD's like Another 48 Hours, The Peacemaker and Missing In Action get played around here....