POTC Box Set

indy4

They're coming out with a box set of the POTC scores. It includes all three OSTs, plus brand new remixes, plus a behind the scenes DVD. As big as a fan as I am, I don't think I'll buy it (way too much money for on DVD of behind the scenes stuff).

http://www.amazon.com/Pirates-Caribbean-So...6515&sr=1-7

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is as worthless as buying the Original Trilogy box set Lucas released again. I mean why should someone pay that much to buy the CD's again if they all ready have them just for the DVD? That doesn't make sense.

Not as worthless as the Star Wars Box Set, but for me, it's out of my price range(unless it had unreleased music from the movies). Maybe I'll look on ebay for just the behind the scenes DVD.

I'll still buy it. Gotta keep up with owning everything Hans Zimmer.

Why?

I'm a great fan of John Williams, Richard Rodgers, etc. but I wouldn't buy every soundtrack/album related to them.

IF you don't have them, then I would defenetly recomend this set. They are truly magnificent scores, despite what some say, IMO.

POTC was plain bad. POTC 2 was a bit less bad. POTC 3 was actually, quite good...a guilty pleasure at the very least.

You won't be satisfied till you own the man personally. By which time the poor sod will be six feet under with daisies growing on his grave.

Liked bits of the first one.

Hated almost all of the second one.

Really like most of the third one.

Even if the box contained all 3 complete scores I wouldn't buy it - it's a not-too-guilty pleasure for me. Even if I do find some of the themes maddeningly addictive :)

You won't be satisfied till you own the man personally. By which time the poor sod will be six feet under with daisies growing on his grave.

He's been collecting every last strand of hair from his balding head for years!

Remixes? Why in God's name would you want more of that crap? :blink:

Well it's been proven if you keep repackaging crap and re-releasing it people trip over themselves to get it again.

The thing is that they're not just repackaging.

They've added more freshly crapped out turds. Probably because that awful Tiësto remix was a moderate success among the plebs. Idiots.

They've added more freshly crapped out turds. Probably because that awful Tiësto remix was a moderate success among the plebs. Idiots.

That remix was awful. It's the behind the scenes DVD that tempts me, but not enough to buy it.

• 1 year later...

Okay, I've got some holiday money that needs spending, and this is an item that has had my eye for a while.

There are about 6 tracks of new music (not remixes, but actual music), plus a behind the scenes DVD. Is it worth getting it? Mind you, the third PotC is one of my all time favorite scores.

I also thought about TDK set, but I decided against it.

i like it very much for the six tracks! "Marry Me" is one of my favorites - it includes a more orchestral (to my ears, at least) mix of "Up Is Down". I enjoy it way more than the OST version - which I LOVE. The other extras are ok. It includes the demo track that was featured on soundtrack.net a while ago and a couple of mostly-good suites from the third movie.

As for the extra videos - ughh... don't get me started. There are a few featurettes that amount to basically Hans and his gang relaxing on couches and talking about how GREAT of a composer he is. Makes me sick....

Happy New Year!

Truth.

The scores are nothing but whole notes accompanied by lots of percussion hits. I'll pass...

I have this set. Only get it if you can find it really cheap somewhere.

The three film scores are the same as the OSTs; badly arranged, poorly chosen (especially DMC + AWE) etc.

The six new suites are nice of course, but the DVD is nothing to shout about, and as nice as the suites are, more score would have been better!

Truth.

The scores are nothing but whole notes accompanied by lots of percussion hits. I'll pass...

Any sane Pirate would blow the box set out of the water, or make it walk the plank.

There's only a couple of the PotC tracks I really like these days.

"The Medallion" keeps bringing a smile to my face, though.

The boxset contains a couple of new suites which are, as far as I'm concerned, better than the DMC soundtrack itself.

Don't get me wrong, I (and I'm gonna stick my neck out here) LOVE all three Pirate scores, synths or not.

I just think the albums are pretty disastrous.

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

- Most action packed of the three OSTs

- Tracks in a poor order

- Tracks have silly names

- Short in length

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

- Tracks in a better order

- Not many film cues, a lot of suites

- A lot of main score pieces left out

- Insulting remix as a 'bonus' track

- Short in length

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

- Tracks in a silly order

- More film cues

- Much important score left on the cutting room floor

- Silly edits

I'm sure there's other points, but I can't remember right now! :(

It's such a misconception that the Pirates scores are poorly regarded because of synthesizers. Well, I guess a few people dislike them for that reason. I just find the writing to be utterly bland and pedestrian, and I think most detractors will agree with me on this point.

The synths are not the reason that most hate the scores, but as a fan of CotBP score, it would have been much better if it was played with real instruments.

It's such a misconception that the Pirates scores are poorly regarded because of synthesizers. Well, I guess a few people dislike them for that reason. I just find the writing to be utterly bland and pedestrian, and I think most detractors will agree with me on this point.

yes,I agree.

yes,I agree.

Its also RC on autopilot, IE all action stuff sounds the same and from somewhere else.

The first one, yes. The second one, a bit. The third one...nah.

However, despite its unoriginality, I find them all to be very enjoyable scores.

yes,I agree.

Its also RC on autopilot, IE all action stuff sounds the same and from somewhere else.

I can't say this enough - the theme from DROP ZONE is in ALL THREE movies and in the first one's trailer!

Does Hansy really think he's original?

I do enjoy the score, by the way. But I accept them for what they are: formulaic, simple, but-effective music.

I also love the theme from "up is down" - even though it sounds like a rip-off of the golden age swashbuckling scores. Which is ironic since Hans and Jerry Bruckheimer spend so much time bashing the "old-fashioned" pirate scores. That's why they wanted Silvestri off the project!

There are 8 new tracks btw, then the rest are remixes.

I would happily send them to you indy4, but I know you don't like that. So have fun spending $70 for 8 tracks of music.

The scores are good, and original. I'm not doubting that Drop Zone was used in one of the trailers, but it's a popular trailer cue. So what's the point of mentioning that? Zimmer works within a certain range of notes, which is why his action scores all sound similar. He has his own sound, and rarely copies note for note.

It's the ignorance. That's all it is. To you people who hate the man's music and don't know it outside of a few scores, it all sounds the same. Same thing can be said for any other composer: Ennio Morricone, John Williams, Thomas Newman, Michael Giacchino, etc.

For someone who claims to not be that big of a Zimmer fan you sure are desperate to defend him.

And some of do know his music outside of a few scores.

I also love the theme from "up is down" - even though it sounds like a rip-off of the golden age swashbuckling scores.

It's certainly a nice theme. It has a mature, melancholy quality that complements the sadness of the film well. It's still child's play compared to any piece by a great composer, though, and it can really wear on you. I listened to "Marry Me" today. Eleven minutes of that theme over and over, which is ten minutes too many.

I'm sure you're a fan of the Cowboys, but don't you know a lot about other teams?

Yes sometimes I know too much worthless info.... :blink:

But you've just proved my point that I'm not going to base my decision on 2 or 3 scores.

The scores are good, and original. I'm not doubting that Drop Zone was used in one of the trailers, but it's a popular trailer cue. So what's the point of mentioning that? Zimmer works within a certain range of notes, which is why his action scores all sound similar. He has his own sound, and rarely copies note for note.

It's the ignorance. That's all it is. To you people who hate the man's music and don't know it outside of a few scores, it all sounds the same. Same thing can be said for any other composer: Ennio Morricone, John Williams, Thomas Newman, Michael Giacchino, etc.

Drop Zone was used IN THE FILMS - not only in the trailer (which was fine).

And I'm offended by your "ignorance" comment. I enjoy the scores that Hans writes, but he operates, as you said, on a certain range of notes - with very limited results. John Williams, Morricone, Goldsmith etc. write music with a much more varied palette. No doubt this is thanks to their immense talent, classical training and understanding of musical concepts that are "beneath" a rock composer like Hans.

The man writes good music, but is in a much different league than Williams.