LISTEN to CHAMBER OF SECRETS!!!!!!!!!

Bart

I heard the score two days ago and I consider it very good. That new theme in the second track it's beautiful, pure Williams. I'm sure that all those new themes were written by him and that Ross only adapted the music from HP-1 and from the material recorded previously for HP-2. However, it's seams to me that some of the tracks were orchestrated by Williams and others by Ross because some tracks don't quite match Williams style, IMO.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, just to clarify things a little bit........ I talked to my friend at Heyman's company and he says it's mostly Williams on the CD.  No new material by Ross, only adaptations for the movie as Williams couldn't do it because of time.  They are wanting him solely for HP3 if he can do it.  That is all I have to say for now. Bye bye bye

Maybe HPIII has a full Williams score, hasn't Spielberg said that he would like to made that book because its complexity?

Lets see, Williams has done-will do 4 scores this year. HP being almost completely his. WHy in the blazes he could not do JPIII last year, at least in the way HPII has been done? :)

Spielberg wanted to do HP 3 but it's Cuaron who got the gig. Still hopefully Williams WILL be on board.

Spielberg was never in the running for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

I for one am glad, I don't think Spielbergs vision for Harry Potter was very good. Harry Potter should be JK Rowling's vision.

If Spielberg does Potter 3, he'll have to use the same vision that Columbus did, so don't worry.  :)

Morn, A. Cauron has the job of directing Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Spielberg is no where to be found in this magical world.

By the way the Azkaban starts filming in January.

EAJ, who wonders if Chambers is 178 minutes, then how long will Azkaban be, 4 hours? Goblet of Fire 5, 6?

The longer the better.  :)

As many people has said, not for kids. SHould be better arround 2 hours and the rest added for DVD.

Luke, who thinks 3/4 of the kids will not see the movie entirely: :) and ;)

:)

One question about Spielberg.

I read that he was dropped for HP I because he wanted to USArice the movie

I also read that Spielberg dropped HP I because he thought it was not a challenge for him

Which of them is true?

It doesn't matter because he went on to make A.I. the biggest flop of 2001, and Chris Columbus went on to make Harry Potter the biggest hit of the 2001.

It doesn't matter because he went on to make A.I. the biggest flop of 2001, and Chris Columbus went on to make Harry Potter the biggest hit of the 2001.

:)

Luke, whose HP-loving-sister was very dissapointed with the movie.

I read that WB is planning to make Goblet of Fire in a 2 part movie, releasing the 1st part near Halloween and the second part in Chrismas.

If that happens I am going to be so pissed off. I WANT to sit through a 5 hour movie! WB is just trying to pull that off so they get double the box office.

As much as I love Harry potter, I think a 5 hour film is just too much. Most people, once they were told the movie is 5 hours long, would not go and see it. I don't mind going to the theater twice, at least I knwo I will not be watching the Reader's Digest 2 and half hour version of Goblet of Fire.

A:i was not sucessful by Spielberg standards, but I don't think it was a flop. As Scissorhands sai, it grossed more than 200 million.

Yea, tell that to the WB accountants, and all the stockholders whose stock was devalued because of that films failure to achieve big #'s. In the US it made less than $79 million dollars and cost over 90 million. Add about a 50 million dollar marketing campaign in the US alone. It was a flop by any financial standards. Perhaps I shouldn't have said biggest, and instead said one of the biggest. Artistically it must be measured by each individual to determine if it was a success or a flop.

let's re-direct this discussion back to the original topic, shall we?

Ted, who doesn't want another argument about A.I. erupting

I'm new 'round here so forgive me as I try to catch up, but I have a few cents (or dollars) to add to this ongoing conversation.

First up, HP2. Wow... few scores give me the rush of total comfort that only Williams can provide (another i can think of is Empire of the Sun). While this is clearly the work of John Williams, it does have the feel of one of those Varese Sarabande CDs conducted by someone else. It sounds right, but somehow not as authentic. But even so, it sounds great!

For those who doubt Williams wrote the music, if the OFFICIAL source says the music was only adapated by William Ross, then believe it. Nowadays you can't lie or not give credit when it's due. That can lead to lawsuits, and nobody wants that do they? And besides, there have been plenty of times where Williams music was adapted to a lousy sequel, and a lousy score for that matter. You can TELL that Williams didn't write 40 minutes of music for those disasters.

The score for HP2 reminds me of the Williams I really loved in the 80s... just magical. But as of late, I think Williams had really created some of his best stuff. The score for AOTC was great, it was just the cues that weren't new and used in the film that bothered me. Minority Report, very refreshing and just awesome. See? Williams can create something totaly new and different, so don't be quick to judge if something isn't as familiar to you.

A.I.: was a very inspiring film. It had its' dull spots but it's not a failure, especially if Williams is writing the music. :)

Anyway, I can't wait to buy this soundtrack so I can listen to it in the car. Sure some themes resemble other ones, but that is unavoidable with Williams. Just be glad it's not American Journey or whatever that crap was. (see, I'm a critic too!)

Artisticaly it was quite sucessful in IMHO.

good.

RE: Joe's reaction

even better. :)

-ROSS, who HAD to say that.

As many people has said, not for kids. SHould be better arround 2 hours and the rest added for DVD.

Kids sat through FOTR without problems. I guess if the movie is good, it's less of a problem for the kids than for many adults.

I also read that Spielberg dropped HP I because he thought it was not a challenge for him

I've read several times that Spielberg didn't do it because they wouldn't give him enough freedom, i.e. because Rowling didn't want too many changes. I have no idea if that's true, but if it is, I'm glad he didn't do it.

NP: Minority Report (John Williams)

I remember reading that Spielberg wanted Hogwarts to be an American school with like, cheerleaders and stuff like that. He also wanted Haley Joel Osment to play Harry Potter; he was really adamant about that.

The "Music by John Williams" credit is just a commercial ploy, it means something on the poster.

Sorry! I forgot that you worked closely with the two composers. Please, tell us more!!!!!!!

I don't see the point of such sarcasm. It was only my opinion, is my opinion and knowledge not valid?

I don't think it's much of a stretch of the imagination that the film studio might take maximum advantage of the contractual credits in order to promote the film and put it in the best possible light.

The "Music by John Williams" credit is just a commercial ploy, it means something on the poster.

Sorry! I forgot that you worked closely with the two composers. Please, tell us more!!!!!!!

I don't see the point of such sarcasm. It was only my opinion

Then perhaps next time you may want to try and write it as an opinion, not as a fact.

is my opinion and knowledge not valid?

Of course it is.

I don't think it's much of a stretch of the imagination that the film studio might take maximum advantage of the contractual credits in order to promote the film and put it in the best possible light.

That's much better :)

A.I. was a failure on every level IMO.

The last 15 minutes redefines a bad movie ending.

As for those score I am really startin to get to liking it. I think JW deserves a pat on the back for this one.

Kids sat through FOTR without problems. I guess if the movie is good, it's less of a problem for the kids than for many adults.

Er, Kids should not have seen FORT, at lest that its rating...

Luke, who knows kids cannot stay tunned too much time, AND they cannot wait to P :) like adults. That was my point.

Have you thought why the cartoon movies do not last more than 90 min (some even less)?

Have you thought why the cartoon movies do not last more than 90 min (some even less)?

Because it takes along time just to make a cartoon that long,

it rarely has anything to do with attention spans.

Er, Kids should not have seen FORT, at lest that its rating...

They still did though. :)

Luke, who knows kids cannot stay tunned too much time, AND they cannot wait to P  :) like adults. That was my point.

Kids may have shorter attention spans, but it still depends on the film. If it's interesting enough, I bet a Potter film can keep their attention for 3 hours, even more if necessary. It would be a good idea to have an intermission in the middle of the movie though. (Would have the added benefit that my local theatre wouldn't force those intermissions by simply pausing the film after a reel change, which they did with both FOTR and HPPS).

Kids sat through FOTR without problems.

Of course. It's a kids movie.

Do you really meant it?

Yes. Perhaps the book is not for children, but the movie...

Just like the wonderful 'Dark Crystal', but much worse.

I think FOTR takes itself way too seriously and that's why it seems so bloated and childlish sometimes, because the seriousness was not done the right way.

I get the feeling when I watch the movie that it takes iteself so seriously, it is so conviced that it is great, that it becomes lackluster. It is childlish because it thinks it is a thing that it is not. It's just a fantasy movie, not too much message or juice there, but the movie seems conviced that it does have those things.

Well, movies don't think, but I think you get the idea.

Romão, huge fan of the books.

:? No message? Just a fantasy movie??? :? What's wrong with fantasy?

It's about the human side of for example ww2 and how people have to struggle and do what is right. It's also about things like the inhumanness of technology (Saruman represents industrailation etc)

The books have plenty of messages. The movie not really. I enjoyed the movie and there's nothing wrong with it being a fantasy movie, being a genre I love. I just find it overrated when people see the movie beyond that, that IMHO, there isn't much more.