• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay once again, I had the final word!

Actually, Marc did. :rolleyes:

This thread got off to a bad start. To get back on track:

Star Trek III

I've come to appreciate this more and more. Kruge isn't the greatest of villans (though the wonderful Christopher Lloyd gives it his all) but it's full of wonderful moments, the best being stealing the Enterprise and especially the Enterprise's destruction, one of the most powerful moments in all the films. Not to mention David's death. And it managed to bring Spock back without it feeling 100% cliched.

Star Trek: First Contact

Easily the best Next Gen film, and the second and final gasp of greatness for the Borg, a largely boring and overrated villan IMO. This is possibly the best Picard story ever, one of those "perfect" Next Gen characters finally shows some flaws. You completely understand where he's coming from in his quest for vengance, and yet realize when he's taking it too far. It's nice to see everyone else in the cast getting a chance to play too, by the time it got to Nemesis it was Picard, Data, and those other guys. We also get Goldsmith's best Next Gen score here. Or should that be Goldsmith & Goldsmith?

Oh, and the Troi drunk scene? Hilarious.

On the 300 debate (and you can take the fact that I'm a 16-year-old male into account if you like), I gotta say, I like it quite a lot. It's just a fun action movie, yeah, but I think it's well done. It has those "empowering" moments, but those really don't matter; what people remember is the cool-looking CGI and the badass battle sequences. It's pretty mindless, but I at least enjoyed watching Spartans and Persians beating the garbage out of each other for a while. Now some of my friends literally think it's the best movie ever . . . which is ridiculous, but as far as eye-candy goes (and I mean the CGI landscapes and battles, not the ripped dudes), I think it delivers. Some people say that its extremely prevelant use of CG is indicative of how movies rely on computers and it's the death of art, etc. etc., but the look the film makers wanted to create was a kind of overpowering fantasy-storybook-ish type of look, which they did well using CG, so I think its use is appropriate.

Kind of unrelated: my marching band did a show this year featuring a piece from 300 called "To Victory" which was unoriginal but fun.

~Sturgis

My....my thread! My beautiful, beautiful thread! YOU MONSTER!!!!

On the 300 debate (and you can take the fact that I'm a 16-year-old male into account if you like), I gotta say, I like it quite a lot. It's just a fun action movie, yeah, but I think it's well done. It has those "empowering" moments, but those really don't matter; what people remember is the cool-looking CGI and the badass battle sequences. It's pretty mindless, but I at least enjoyed watching Spartans and Persians beating the garbage out of each other for a while. Now some of my friends literally think it's the best movie ever . . . which is ridiculous, but as far as eye-candy goes (and I mean the CGI landscapes and battles, not the ripped dudes), I think it delivers. Some people say that its extremely prevelant use of CG is indicative of how movies rely on computers and it's the death of art, etc. etc., but the look the film makers wanted to create was a kind of overpowering fantasy-storybook-ish type of look, which they did well using CG, so I think its use is appropriate.

The main problem is that the movie has a horrible screenplay, unimpressive supporting cast, and the worst narratin ever. The CG is less of a problem. The movie encourages condescension.

Considering the source material, the look of the movie is actually spot on and probably the best thing Snyder did. The rest is not likable dumb action, it's near insulting. Although, I will say the ending was handled pretty well.

Snyder seems to be a very superficial director. I fear for Watchmen.

It's also kind of hard to root for a society that kills their own babies if they aren't "perfect", ya know? Just a little thing there.

It is a shallow movie, but I enjoyed parts on a shallow level.

Just saw "Good Night and Good Luck" for the fourth or fifth time. My absolute favorite film from 2005.

Beautiful and elegant cinematography and film that takes a somewhat documentary approach to telling the story by integrated actual footage of McCarthy and his hearings. Although Murrow and CBS were not responsible for ultimately bringing down McCarthy, they showed the power the press has as a watchdog on the government and certainly helped in the fight. Easily the best film about journalism since "All the President's Men".

Tried to see There Will Be Blood tonight, but every frickin' show time was sold out, so I settled for a free viewing of:

The Bucket List (***)

I liked it, nothing special in terms of Academy Awards, but it was a nice enjoyable film about enjoying life. I thought it was way too short and would have enjoyed something a little longer that delved more into the characters.

Tenacious D, in the pick of Destiny

ehehehe, ahahahaa!

Why are you laughing AI, you haven't given your review yet.

Oh, this film delivers the funny. Yeah this film is awesome.

The AI gives this film 3.5 from 4.

Unbreakable: Absolutley amazing. The story was one of Night's best. Throughout the film, I was thinking that it was a nice movie, but nothing stupendous. It wasn't until that brilliant ending that both creeped and astonished me that I realized it is a work of genius. This was probably Night's best twist at the end of a film.

Jackson's final comment about how a super hero and super villain are usually complete opposites, and are usually friends was chilling. It was amazing how Jackson seemed like an odd, but normal figure throughout the beggining of the film. When everything was revealed, he truly seems like an insane, evil villain.

The cinematography was Night's best, IMO. It was incredibly unique and different, I'm suprised it wasn't nominated for an Oscar. I think I still like Signs more, but Unbreakable is a close second. It's a shame Night never finished the trilogy he started with this film, I would have liked to see where it went. ****1/2/*****

The score was great, too, particularly when Willis saw all those visions of those criminals. I'll defenetly get it, hopefully soon.

The highlight of the score, to me, other than the electronic "vision" cues, has to be the flashback sequence - especially the full-blown hero theme finally playing as young David rescues his wife to-be.

My....my thread! My beautiful, beautiful thread! YOU MONSTER!!!!

You know, I almost made the subtitle "Part 3: Morlock's Revenge"

Unbreakable: Absolutley amazing. The story was one of Night's best. Throughout the film, I was thinking that it was a nice movie, but nothing stupendous. It wasn't until that brilliant ending that both creeped and astonished me that I realized it is a work of genius. This was probably Night's best twist at the end of a film.

Jackson's final comment about how a super hero and super villain are usually complete opposites, and are usually friends was chilling. It was amazing how Jackson seemed like an odd, but normal figure throughout the beggining of the film. When everything was revealed, he truly seems like an insane, evil villain.

The cinematography was Night's best, IMO. It was incredibly unique and different, I'm suprised it wasn't nominated for an Oscar. I think I still like Signs more, but Unbreakable is a close second. It's a shame Night never finished the trilogy he started with this film, I would have liked to see where it went. ****1/2/*****

Unbreakable is easily Shyamalan's best. I think the bit about it going to be a trilogy is a bit of a misunderstanding, though.

Night was working on a superhero script, but found himself much more interested in everything that happened in the first act than in the other two. So he decided to simply take the story arc of the first act and make a feature film out of that. The continuation of the story was simply abandoned. I don't think he really had plans to actually film the other two when he was working on Unbreakable.

And yes, the score is gorgeous.

The complete works of Bert Haanstra.

Along with Fanfare, I will also watch the short documentaries Over Glas Gesproken en Glas (which was the first ever Academy Award winner for a Dutchie).

Amistad.

What a mess. The film and score are quite weak. I never thought I'd find myself actually cringing at the John Williams score during a film, but his so-called inspirational music that accompanies the "Give us free" scene was so sickly-sweet it actually turned my stomach. The film is so flabby. Even Anthony Hopkins can't save it. In fact, his long rambling speeches are so shoddily performed and edited that they actually add to the film's weaknesses. This could well be Spielberg's worst film IMO. Shame, as the opening half hour (without a word of English spoken) is punchy, dramatic, and very gripping. It just quickly degenerates.

Unbreakable is easily Shyamalan's best. I think the bit about it going to be a trilogy is a bit of a misunderstanding, though.

Night was working on a superhero script, but found himself much more interested in everything that happened in the first act than in the other two. So he decided to simply take the story arc of the first act and make a feature film out of that. The continuation of the story was simply abandoned. I don't think he really had plans to actually film the other two when he was working on Unbreakable.

And yes, the score is gorgeous.

From Wiki:

He has stated that Unbreakable was planned as the first film in a trilogy, but due to its underwhelming box office receipts, doubts the other two films will be made. However, he has never directly ruled out the possibility.
Bruce Willis is pretty much unbreakable in every movie he's in.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

From Wiki:
He has stated that Unbreakable was planned as the first film in a trilogy, but due to its underwhelming box office receipts, doubts the other two films will be made. However, he has never directly ruled out the possibility.

It's not the idea I got from watching the DVD extras.

And I can't even find that quote on Wiki's Unbreakable page

From Wiki:

It's not the idea I got from watching the DVD extras.

And I can't even find that quote on Wiki's Unbreakable page.

I have yet to watch the DVD extras, so maybe you're right.

But the quote is from the M. Night Shymalan page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M._Night_Shya...#Other_projects

But the quote is from the M. Night Shymalan page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M._Night_Shya...#Other_projects

I see. I missed that one. No source is listed, though.

I got a different impression from what he was saying on the DVD. I don't know.

Got:

Zodiac: Director's Cut

The Rock (Blu-Ray)

Man On Fire (Blu-Ray)

Want:

3:10 To Yuma (Blu-Ray)

Shoot 'Em Up (Blu-Ray)

Watched Zodiac: Director's Cut yesterday, and it was even better than I remembered. This film deserves a lot of the Academy's attention, but I doubt it'll get past cinematography. I found it amazing how David Fincher made everything perfect down to the last detail. That's why David Shire composed the score and not Howard Shore, cause Shire is a 70's composer. Hell, he even took the 70's reels of the opening logos of WB and stuck in front of the movie. All the songs are excellent and well used, have been listening to Hurdy Gurdy Man all week. All the acting is superb, even from the secondary and side characters. Don't forget how incredible Fincher is with digital, this movie was shot basically all on green-screen, and it looks live-action. The entire taxi cab scene from the bird's eye view and the entire building construction scene were both 100% digital. Nothing was real. Simply amazing.

Watched Man On Fire (Blu-Ray) and loved the high-def craziness of Tony Scott. Great movie, loved Denzel's acting and the story. Harry Gregson-Williams and Tony Scott were born for each other.

Bought 3:10 To Yuma on Blu-Ray, so I should be receiving that soon.

Watched Zodiac: Director's Cut yesterday, and it was even better than I remembered.

Really? Does this cut go somewhere at some point or does it just play one scene after the other just because that's historically accurate and hence worthy of mention, too?

This film deserves a lot of the Academy's attention, but I doubt it'll get past cinematography. I found it amazing how David Fincher made everything perfect down to the last detail.

Yeah. And he makes sure you see it. Every last detail. Ever last little detail. Inconsequential and pointless? Nah, the film's just accurate.

That's why David Shire composed the score and not Howard Shore, cause Shire is a 70's composer. Hell, he even took the 70's reels of the opening logos of WB and stuck in front of the movie. All the songs are excellent and well used, have been listening to Hurdy Gurdy Man all week

Yeah. Source music and logos. That's how you make a good film.

All the acting is superb, even from the secondary and side characters.

Indeed. The actors really underline how boring their characters are (again, because it's accurate to real-life!!) all through the five hours the film feels like.

Don't forget how incredible Fincher is with digital, this movie was shot basically all on green-screen, and it looks live-action. The entire taxi cab scene from the bird's eye view and the entire building construction scene were both 100% digital. Nothing was real. Simply amazing.

I know! How good is this movie?

Does that mean I can be expecting a bashing?

Well, it's not like you didn't ask for it.

... because "boring" and "pointless" are random words I'm just coming up with to throw a tantrum? Okay then, how about "the film has no focus", "the main story is weak but it still is constantly forgotten in favor of some small detail that doesn't really add anything", "the characters are superficial cardboard cut-outs that go to extremes with no real build-up or explanation" and "it's frustrating to think that you could cut any scene at random and it wouldn't make any bit of difference to the 'plot' - especially in the last, excruciating half of the movie when it turns out the mystery was solved halfway through all along and whatever came after was for nothing"?

Or, if you prefer humor, you can read it here.

I see. I missed that one. No source is listed, though.

I got a different impression from what he was saying on the DVD. I don't know.

I just saw the DVD features, and I think you're right. He never mentioned anything about a trilogy, just a three-part story that was cut down to one. And when it comes to M. Night Shymalan, I doubt a fan with an account on Wikipedia knows more than M. Night Shymalan.

... because "boring" and "pointless" are random words I'm just coming up with to throw a tantrum? Okay then, how about "the film has no focus", "the main story is weak but it still is constantly forgotten in favor of some small detail that doesn't really add anything", "the characters are superficial cardboard cut-outs that go to extremes with no real build-up or explanation" and "it's frustrating to think that you could cut any scene at random and it wouldn't make any bit of difference to the 'plot' - especially in the last, excruciating half of the movie when it turns out the mystery was solved halfway through all along and whatever came after was for nothing"?

Or, if you prefer humor, you can read it here.

Hey, if you hate excellent movies and love to go on and on about nothing trying to prove your point, don't let me get in the way.

Wanted to be the first to post in Part III.

what a waste, you could have at least said you saw something, but no you contributed NOTHING,

I watched Close Encounters of the Third Kind, then original version.

It is as fantastic as I remember, and the music is a massive Johnnygasm

it should never have been tinkered with, it was perfect in its imperfections.

Amistad.

What a mess. The film and score are quite weak. I never thought I'd find myself actually cringing at the John Williams score during a film, but his so-called inspirational music that accompanies the "Give us free" scene was so sickly-sweet it actually turned my stomach. The film is so flabby. Even Anthony Hopkins can't save it. In fact, his long rambling speeches are so shoddily performed and edited that they actually add to the film's weaknesses. This could well be Spielberg's worst film IMO. Shame, as the opening half hour (without a word of English spoken) is punchy, dramatic, and very gripping. It just quickly degenerates.

I agree with every word.

The Bourne Ultimatum: I wasn't bored but that is the only positive thing I can say about this overrated third part.

Amistad.

Everything with Honsou is terrific. Hopkins is very good, and his summation is terrific. The score does go far over the top in that scene and with the Adams theme. But the African parts are terrific, and the ethnic lady singing is quite effective as well. I mean, any film that finds no use for Morgan Freeman is obviously a problematic one.....but still, there's good stuff in there.

Saw Juno. Fantastic. Thank you for smoking is my favorite of the two, but, still, Jason Reitman's first two films are mightily impressive. ***1/2/****.

Lust, Caution. I had great terpidations about this film. The last time Ang Lee made a controversial film, I thought that it wasn't much more to it than Gay cowboys. This time, however, there is much more too it than explicit sex scenes. The story grabbed me. The tension is racked up in a masterful way, and the sex scenes, as well as being (at times) genuinly erotic, were also essential story points, showing the two main characters bare all in every sense.

Two leads are superb. Film looks fantastic, and not stage-y (as many period pieces do). Score is one of the strongest of the year. 'Wong Chia Chi's Theme' is a really great theme. Love that the theme can go in two different directions.

A very strong espionage/love story. ***1/2/****.

Amistad.

Everything with Honsou is terrific. Hopkins is very good, and his summation is terrific. The score does go far over the top in that scene and with the Adams theme. But the African parts are terrific, and the ethnic lady singing is quite effective as well. I mean, any film that finds no use for Morgan Freeman is obviously a problematic one.....but still, there's good stuff in there.

The thing with the music from Amistad is that it's actually very good music, but its beauty is used for evil in the movie. It's like the Lex Luthor of scores. Doesn't do the film any favor.

I say again....huh? What's wrong with most of the African stuff? The American stuff is way too obvious and over the top. The African stuff in general works very well in the film, save the overblown 'Give us Free' scene.

Yeah, the African stuff is fine. It's only the American music that's problematic in its use.

By the way, I've never seen or heard Amistad. I'm just offering my vague interpretations of Elmo's remark.

So basically, you'll agree with any coherently made argument about the matter. If there is a truer form of objective opinion, I haven't heard of it.