Best Original Score

Koray Savas

Best Original Score  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Your favorite score nominated for the 80th Academy Awards.

• Atonement - Dario Marianelli
    • The Kite Runner - Alberto Iglesias
    • Michael Clayton - James Newton Howard
    • Ratatouille - Michael Giacchino
    • 3:10 To Yuma - Marco Beltrami

I am aware that there is already a thread for this years Oscar nominations, but I think a poll would be nice so we can see what everyone thinks about the scores specifically. Simply vote for your favorite or which you think is the best.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm stuck between Ratatouille and 3:10 To Yuma. Beltrami did an excellent job with the film and his score serves great justice to the Leone-style Westerns. I enjoyed Atonement, but it was more or less the same thing throughout. Michael Clayton is great and all, but it doesn't compare to the other nominees. The Kite Runner is decent but I just don't connect with it for some reason, perhaps because I never saw the film. 3:10 is very diverse, unique, and lush with themes and motifs.

I'll wait a little longer and listen to all 5 more before I decide.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of the score to Ratatoullie either. I love pretty much everything else by Giacchino, but that French sound just drives me nuts.

Atonement is terrific, but my lack of affection for the emotions it tried to convey in the film hinder it in my eyes. Ratatouille is good, though I like it far more in the film than on the album. Haven't seen The Kite Runner, but I did like the little I heard of the score. Michael Clayton is a total miss in my eyes.

3:10 to Yuma is my favorite, both in the film and on CD.

It would be nice to see JNH awarded with an Oscar, but I have a gut feeling that that's not gonna happen this year.

Maybe that's NEVER gonna happen, unless he changes his name! <_<

I would've liked Shire's Zodiac score to have been nominated (absolutely appaling that the film isn't up for any awards) along with Greenwood's TWBB score but oh well

The film was released far too early in the year. It's the studio's fault, or who ever decided on the release date. There were too many movies people liked later on in the year to remember that one.

Either Ratatouille or 3:10 to Yuma. I can't decide.

Same here. I'm listening to End Creditouilles right now. It's brilliant and I would love Giacchino to earn his first Oscar, but Beltrami's score works extremely well in the film. It's a very tough choice.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of the score to Ratatoullie either. I love pretty much everything else by Giacchino, but that French sound just drives me nuts.

I don't mind the French influence on the score, I actually like that bit, there's just something about it that seems to bore me...

I've only heard half of Ratatoille.Hopefully I'll make it to the end someday.

K.M.Who therefore can't vote.

:blink:

I don't mind the French influence on the score, I actually like that bit, there's just something about it that seems to bore me...

It's a very energetic score, I don't know how you can get bored listening to it. This Is Me is a nice track that kinda keeps Giacchino's style from his other scores. Cast Of Cooks is a very nice lounge music style track that is similar to cues in The Incredibles. Collete Shows Him Le Ropes is excellent. Basically the theme without all the additions that can be heard in End Creditouilles. Special Order is a cool piece that I like for some reason. And of course, End Creditouilles! An awesome track that I listen all the way through every time.

I finally voted.

3:10 To Yuma.

This is easily Marco Beltrami's best effort, and I have a feeling this is the first and last time the Academy will recognize him. Ratatouille is not Giacchino's best score. I have high hopes for him, and am sure he will return to the Oscars again in his career.

I'm listening to Ratatouille as I type this at work (yeah I know, slow day) and it's brilliant. At first, I was sceptical about the French influences, but actually it's a very fun listen, and has several hugely memorable motifs. Actually, it's my only Giacchino album so far that I can listen to all the way through, and not be tempted to press 'next track' at least once.

Even though I'm confident Atonement will win (foreign name, most acclaimed film, and sounds even more 'flowery' and English than Finding Neverland), I think Giacchino deserves it.

*Reminds self to watch 3:10 to Yuma at some point*

I really hope Atonement doesn't win. It is a fine score but it doesn't deserve it compared to Giacchino's and Beltrami's work. But considering it is nominated for Best Picture as well, it will probably win it...damn the biased Academy.

Atonement will be the Fiding Neverland of 2008.It won't win best picture,best director or best actress but will pick up Best Score as a consolation prize

What Mark said.

I would have preferred any of the other nominees than Finding Neverland. Lemony Snicket and The Village were both excellent scores. Obviously Prisoner Of Azkaban should have won, but I would still have preferred The Passion over Finding Neverland.

If you like bland underscore.

Bland underscore? How can anything in Finding Neverland be considered bland? It's intricately orchestrated, has wonderful themes, and a few great piano solos to boot.

Atonement was my pick. Ratatouille got old quick for me. I just didn't like Yuma for some reason. Must be in some kind of orchestral, classical/romantic period phase.

What Mark said.

I would have preferred any of the other nominees than Finding Neverland. Lemony Snicket and The Village were both excellent scores. Obviously Prisoner Of Azkaban should have won, but I would still have preferred The Passion over Finding Neverland.

Yeap.

I didn't care which score won that year (all 3 of my favourite composers plus Debney) as long as it wasn't Neverland.

What I really hated about that win was that Kaczsmarek said afterwards that he thought he would win because he was attached to a great film, and when the winner was announced, he almost looked like he was expecting it.

Kaczsmarek's music is so bland, he's another overhyped composer.

FSM once had a review of a concert he did and all the critics basically called it the most boring exhibition of music they had ever heard.

I wonder if they will choose a winning soundtrack always regardless of the quality and quantity of the years' output.

What Mark said.

PoA shouldn't have won, even though it was very good Williams' score. PoA wasn't good enough to be on par with his winning scores. The Village should have won that year.

Kaczsmarek's music is so bland, he's another overhyped composer.

FSM once had a review of a concert he did and all the critics basically called it the most boring exhibition of music they had ever heard.

It may be my own chauvinism but how many Kaczmarek's works do you know or did you hear that concert personally? I find his "The Evening" score to be one of my favourites from the recent year. To quote Standbyfax: Finding Neverland is intricately orchestrated, has wonderful themes, and a few great piano solos to boot. In my book it's the opposite of blandness. It wasn't my favourite score from that year, but definitelly was one of the best... let alone it wasn't worse than any other nominee.

-------------------

My pick for this year's gala is Atonement. It's a superb score that works fantastic both in the movie and on an album. I am vary happy thought that Giacchino got his nomination, since Ratatouille is my 2nd favourite from 2007.

No I did not attend the concert but I've heard enough of his music from various scores to know that I will not spend anymore time with his music and move on to something else.

I must say I was quite impressed with Beltrami's work on "3.10 to Yuma".

Or at least, I like its restraint. None of it is great music, but quite some of it is actually good film music.

I found it intelligently scored, and in a very, very modest way (extremely modest, I should say), it taps into some of the brooding, dark qualities that pervade some of Williams' Western work.

The ultimate Western masterpiece, as far as film scoring goes, is "Missouri Breaks". IMHO.

• 4 weeks later...
Andy Trudeau over at NPR picked Atonement: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...toryId=19251328

You can hear a track from each of the scores and read his analysis.

Every previous year for a long time they actually had the clips of Trudeau and Lian Hanson talking. Is that not available this year? I can't find this, it seems like all they have are the snippets from the actual scores. This is really disappointing if it's true.

I haven't heard one or two of these, so don't breathe down the back of my neck, but I voted for The Kite Runner. I love it, and feel it was EXTREMELY effective in the film.

I have now heard and seen Ratatouille, Michael Clayton and 3:10 to Yuma in the film and standalone.

I'm hoping for Ratatouille of Yuma, both of which are very good scores. I hope for JNH only as a career type Oscar.

The ultimate Western masterpiece, as far as film scoring goes, is "Missouri Breaks". IMHO.

It is, if you completely forget about what Elmer Bernstein and Ennio Morricone did in this genre.

Don't forget Goldsmith's outstanding contributions.

The only one I have is Ratatouille, and I find it quite boring. I'm hoping JNH wins, just because I think he's deserved an Oscar for many other film scores.

I didn't see either The Kite Runner or Michael Clayton (and wish I had in both instances), but I loved the music in Atonement. I also loved the music in Ratatouille. However, I'd give the award to 3:10 to Yuma if I got the opportunity; I think that the music did a lot for that movie.

Mainly, as someone else earlier pointed out, I'm just glad Gustavo Santoallala isn't nominated again. Seriously, that guy pisses me off. Not so much because Brokeback Mountain stole another Oscar from Williams (and for one his best scores in years, Memoirs of a Geisha), but because of his second-consecutive win last year.

What killed me about Babel winning (apart from the fact that Pan's Labyrinth was approximately 1000% better) was that some of the score wasn't written for the movie. There is a piece called "Iguazu" that appears in a very prominent way toward the end of the movie that was on an album he made way back in 1998; it had previously appeared in an episode of 24 (the pilot, I believe), and was so prominently used in a first-season episode of Deadwood that it also serves as menu music on the DVDs!

Now, I've got no problem with any of that. However, this specific piece of music was played DURING the Oscars last year, either when the score nominees were being announced or when Santoallala received the award, I can't remember which. So it was kind of obvious that it was this piece of music (which is, admittedly, quite haunting) that won this man a highly underserved second consecutive Oscar.

Swear to God, I came close to heaving my friend's television set out a window.

So yes, mainly I'm happy that he appears to have sat 2007 out. If he's ever nominated again, I may just have to give up watching the Oscars, lest I be inordinately vexed.

It is, if you completely forget about what Elmer Bernstein and Ennio Morricone did in this genre.

Don't forget Goldsmith's outstanding contributions.

There's not really much of a shortage of fine Western scores, as far as I'm concerned.

The one standing at the top of the hill for me, though, will probably always be Lonesome Dove by Basil Poledouris. Absolutely awesome.