Lets talk Star Trek scores

Trent Hoyt

Favorite Star Trek Score  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Which Star Trek score is your personal favorite?

• The Motion Picture by Jerry Goldsmith
    • The Wrath of Khan by James Horner
    • The Search for Spock by James Horner
    • The Voyage Home by Leonard Rosenman
    • The Final Frontier by Jerry Goldsmith
    • The Undiscovered Country by Cliff Eidelman
    • Generations by Dennis McCarthy
    • First Contact by Jerry Goldsmith
    • Insurrection by Jerry Goldsmith
    • Nemesis by Jerry Goldsmith
    • Star Trek by Michael Giacchino

My first poll, I apologize if its been discussed before.

This poll is not necessarily about picking the best score, if we were doing that I feel everyone would vote for <i>The Motion Picture</i>. Vote for your personal favorite for whatever reason that may be.

Goldsmith's scores had the most impact on the Star Trek world and they have some excellent themes. <i>The Final Frontier</i> was saved because of its score. <i>First Contact</i> has such a bold and noble main title. He gave us a Klingon theme that would stay with the franchise and reinvent itself to represent one of our heroes in The Next Generation films.

Horner took over the reigns briefly from Goldsmith and he gave us two different entries. The two scores work well together especially since the movies are tied so closely together. I like to look at these scores as one effort but not for this poll. Horner gave us a theme for Spock that would be continued by Eidelman in his single effort.

Rosenmann's score is the oddity of the bunch. <i>The Voyage Home</i> was a comedy and required a different kind of score. Although the score is mostly unmemorable it does have a fun main title.

Eidelman's score was a bold departure from the previous films. He gave us a dark score that really sets a different mood. He also gave our heroes a great send off at the end of the film.

McCarthy's score was a glorified episode score, but it does have its moments. The overture is nice and the early action cues are fun.

I voted for <i>The Undiscovered Country</i>. Although the album is a little repetitive, I respect its bold departure. Its the one score that still stands out from the bunch. I also liked how he used Horner's Spock theme.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell I like them all. For me it's tough just to choose a single favorite. However if I really had to choose I'd say Star Trek The Motion Picture, with Nemesis following very closely behind it.

I knew the poll was going to go this way. C'mon people don't be afraid to go against TMP.

I don't think people are afraid to vote against it, I just think it is the most popular Star Trek score.

I only own TMP and ST2, and I love them both. It was a very tough decision, but I finally went with TMP, but it was very close. Horner's effort was almost as amazing.

I voted for TMP without hesitation, and I only just acquired this score within the last couple of months (I'm a late Jerry bloomer).

While the other Goldsmith scores and even the Horner scores have plenty to offer, TMP is just simply a breathtaking masterpiece. It is so thematically rich, so nuanced and completely engaging - and the long, patient scenes in the film with no dialogue allow the score to be so fat and full in a way very few other scores are allowed to be. It is a giant, intricate, rich tapestry.

There is no comparison!

They just don't make movies like that anymore. It takes the shuttlecraft like 5 minutes to get Kirk to the Enterprise, but we get to enjoy the excellent score. The movie also uses an overture. Ilia's Theme is simply beautiful and for me it sums up the entire original series.

-Trent, who still needs the expanded score

Name me a single piece of music out there that sounds like TMP, then I might consider going against it. :)

"The Hunter" from Battle Beyond the Stars by James Horner.

Neil

That TMP is the best Trek score is not even a matter for debate. The only thing worth debating is its place among the greatest scores of all time.

Says who?

My personal favourite to listen to these days is First Contact.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture, followed by Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

Everything else sort of falls into a big jumble of "Star Trek scores." I haven't really familiarized myself enough with the other scores to rank them, really.

TMP

Insurrection

Final Frontier /First Contact/Wrath of Khan

Voyage Home

Generations

Nemesis

*) I don't have Search for Spock on CD, and it's been years since I've seen the film, so I can't reliably place it.

Ok... Who voted for The Voyage Home? :happybday:

BEST to WORST:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

Star Trek: First Contact

Star Trek: Insurrection

Star Trek: Nemesis

Star Trek: Generations

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

As Neil, Mark, and Stefan would say,

Star Trek the Motion Picture.

It is not even an issue. It is by far the greatest of these scores.

Indeed it is greater than virtually all of John Williams scores.

Its holds a high place among the greatest scores of all time.

It is legend

It is beauty.

It is a beast.

to rate the rest of the scores its almost as simple

STTMP

STTWOK

STTSFS, this score is often said to be a retread of Wrath of Khan yet it has the single greated moment in Star Trek music, what I call the Hymn for Captain Kirk. It is in Stealing the Enterprise which is among the greatest Star Trek cues of all time, and one of Horner's greatest pieces. It is that moment when Chekov tells Kirk we're losing precious time. That moment when the entire embodiment of Star Trek is poured into one musical moment, and you understand the friendship and loyalty they have to this man, and their lost comrade. It is the essense of greatness

STTVH, underrated often hated but a whimsical and wonderful score.

STFC, Slightly ahead of

STI

STTFF, far better than the film deserves

STG, passable

STTUC, passable

STNemesis, sadly a disaster, IMHO, unlistenable. I sent my copy to Holland because I couldn't get far enough away from it. It has never connected with me. Its a complete paste job by Goldsmith who missuses themes based on the alien race rather than taking the time to write something new for a particular character. Picard deserved his own theme damnit.

STXI, Giachhino will be hard pressed to even acheive the worst level of Star Trek, he hasn't the talent of Goldsmith or Horner. But I hope he can surprise me and make me purchase my first score by him. My greatest wish is that Parmount hears his works and says replace him.

TMP

Insurrection

Final Frontier /First Contact/Wrath of Khan

Voyage Home

Generations

Nemesis

How could I forget to mention UC... and thinking a bit more about it, I currently would revise the list a bit...

TMP

Insurrection/Final Frontier/Wrath of Khan/Undiscovered Country

First Contact

Voyage Home

Generations/Nemesis

That TMP is the best Trek score is not even a matter for debate. The only thing worth debating is its place among the greatest scores of all time.

Says who?

Says the consensus. If you or anyone else can make an argument why TMP is not the best Trek score, I'd love to hear it. And tear it down. :happybday:

John- who stands by his list

STNemesis, sadly a disaster, IMHO, unlistenable.

Give the complete version a whirl. It doesn't make it an amazing score, far from it, but it pulls it out of U.S. Marshals/Executive Decision territory. The best parts are missing from the official album. Go figure.

All the Star Trek scores are worthy, even Insurrection and Nemesis in their complete forms.

If I were to rank the scores:

Star Trek The Motion Picture

Wrath Of Khan

Undiscovered Country

Final Frontier

Search For Spock

First Contact

Voyage Home

Nemesis

Insurrection

Generations

Star Trek TMP is one of the greatest film scores ever composed. I won't go into a debate about it because Williams has composed scores that are better in my opinion, but it ranks up there with the best of them.

That's only in your opinion

Name me something that has the same atmosphere of TMP then.

It's not about being "the same" as TMP. It's about what's better in our respective opinions. I like Nemesis better. Not because it's "the same" but because it was so vastly different.

Star Trek VI has perhaps my favourite opening title music, but for overall score it has to be... (drumroll, audience gets their hopes up and sits forward in their chairs) "The Motion Picture" (audience groans and relaxes again, waiting for the tall, dark stranger who will arrive and name a different score as his favourite)

Let me put it this way, if I were to be stuck in a space ship for the next 70 years with nothing but one soundtrack and amazing speaker system, I would take ST: TMP with me.

STNemesis, sadly a disaster, IMHO, unlistenable. I sent my copy to Holland because I couldn't get far enough away from it.

Did you send it to Marc or Roald, because I never recieved Nemesis from you?

I sent it to you, I assumed you got it.

For arguments sake I feel its best to stick with the OST.

I think it's perfectly fine to go by the complete score since that what you probably heard in the movie. It's not just about how it measures up on CD.

"Team Work" from Nemesis is by far one of the best action cues Jerry Goldsmith wrote from 1993 on. Though I'd rank the 11 minutes from Timeline higher, just for the sake of the great quality AND length, Team Work is none-the-less equally excellent though shorter.

It harkens back to action cues like "Retreat" from the Blue Max.

"Team Work" from Nemesis is by far one of the best action cues Jerry Goldsmith wrote from 1993 on. Though I'd rank the 11 minutes from Timeline higher, just for the sake of the great quality AND length, Team Work is none-the-less equally excellent though shorter.

It harkens back to action cues like "Retreat" from the Blue Max.

I absolutely love that cue. It's the best development of that "Bum-bum. bum-bum-bum. bum. bum-bum-bum-bum" ostinato in the whole score. But as good as all the other Star Trek scores are they still function strictly as movie scores. Star Trek:TMP, on the other hand, transcends even that purpose and attains work-of art status. I happen to believe that if it weren't for the fact that it originated as a film score it would stand as a legitimate symphonic tone poem.