Is williams a lefty or righty?

pi

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just checked a couple of YouTube clips and he's always holding the baton in his right hand. One could therefore assume he's a righty.

- J Dan, a lefty (and certainly not a Democrat, or Republican for that matter) cursed to live in a world of right-handed computer mice.

my mouse is capable of being a lefty or a righty, its a lefty because Im a lefty, but when I want to feel like its someone else Im a righty, oopp, sorry getting off subject,

JW is probably a righty as are 90% of the people,

A lefty conductor will still learn righty if trained early enough. It is easier for the orchestra

when I studied conducting the proper form is to conduct with your right hand for baton, both hands for choral conducting. I'm left-handed but conduct right. It depends on what hand Williams writes with that determines his dominant hand.

Actually, I'm left-handed but I could never properly use a left-handed mouse. Same with scissors, I can only use my right hand.

Actually same with me as well, now. When I was younger I finally got sick of always moving the mouse to the left of the keyboard. But I still use scissors and write with my left.

It depends on what hand Williams writes with that determines his dominant hand.

I'm sure in the BBC doc about TESB it shows Williams writing with his right hand, I'll have to check again.

Several things for me...

1: I'm a Republican

2: I'm a lefty for writing

3: I'm a righty for eating and using a mouse for a computer

4: I throw things with my right hand

Most of the stuff I do with my right hand but when it comes to writing it my left hand that takes over.

I think Williams is a commie.

Surely those guys who got his autograph in public will know what hand he writes with. Then again, they were probably in suspended animation when he was signing them that they didn't see it happening.

Please before asking bizarre questions, look into your CD collection, get ESB gerhardt re-recording and watch the Williams pic on the back cover :lol:

BTW, i'm left handed, but i use joystick, mouse, scissors with right hand.

Why is always being left handed 'wrong'?

The others are RIGHT, are we not? ;)

Another sinomin in spanish (and in latin) is dexterous (righthanded), and sinister (lefthanded) :(

oh, great ammount of left handeds. I think i'll make one of those useless polls.

I think Williams is a commie.

Surely those guys who got his autograph in public will know what hand he writes with. Then again, they were probably in suspended animation when he was signing them that they didn't see it happening.

Yes, I was in suspended animation. But, I think it was his right hand.

wow - extremely off topic this has gotten. I don't want to know your political affiliations.

It is confirmed. I am just trying to figure out something regarding his hand writing while drawing stems.

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for your nice words on our Superman production. When we had Williams for an hour along with Leslie Bricusse, Pet Clarke and Ian Fraser to sign some Goodbye Mr. Chips CDs, I noticed he was definitively right-handed. I play a lot of baseball so I notice these things.

Elmer Bernstein was left-handed...Jerry Goldsmith was right-handed. Ken Thorne and Ron Jones are right-handed. Jeff Bond, Jon Kaplan and Nick Redman are all left-handed but Jon bats right-handed in baseball and Jeff Bond serves volleyball right-handed. I am right-handed but bat left-handed because before I liked film music, I liked Carl Yastrzemski.

Lukas

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for your nice words on our Superman production. When we had Williams for an hour along with Leslie Bricusse, Pet Clarke and Ian Fraser to sign some Goodbye Mr. Chips CDs, I noticed he was definitively right-handed. I play a lot of baseball so I notice these things.

Elmer Bernstein was left-handed...Jerry Goldsmith was right-handed. Ken Thorne and Ron Jones are right-handed. Jeff Bond, Jon Kaplan and Nick Redman are all left-handed but Jon bats right-handed in baseball and Jeff Bond serves volleyball right-handed. I am right-handed but bat left-handed because before I liked film music, I liked Carl Yastrzemski.

Lukas

Thanks for the input, Lukas. By the way, my friend D-Hob says to stop hating on Jerry.

:P

Welcome to the asylum Lukas.

Didn't he write something for Dukakis? By the way - who IS Dukakis?

An embarrassment for the Democratic party.

I do pretty much everything right handed. But from time to time I practice writing with my left hand.

Yeah, conducting is always done with the right hand. As far as I know, there are no current conductors that conduct with the baton in the left hand. It's just accepted that the right hand is the beat hand, and the left hand is expression.

Williams is a right handed man, as has been established. He seems like a perfect candidate for a left handed person though, as a lot of people tend to think left handed people are dominated by the right brain, therefore much more artistic and creative. Though if you research Williams and his work technique, you can reason that he's very logical and methodical in his process of scoring and writing music. Writing several hundred variations of the close encounters theme before choosing the final one? That's more of a logic based approach than a creative one, which is more typical of a right handed person.

Kind of a neat simple question...

Didn't he write something for Dukakis? By the way - who IS Dukakis?

An embarrassment for the Democratic party.

He and Mondale did put up back to back sad showings. Mondale got trounced more electorally, but Dukakis had more embarassing moments. To fully answer, Dukakis was governor of Massachussets (not sure how many terms, I would think at least two) and was the Dem nominee for president in '88 against Bush 41.

John- right handed and right wing

No you are just really short, and look like a mutant.

And are desperately unfunny.

Left handed people are freaks, abominations against man and God.

You're just jealous because you have to write a hundred versions of so-and-so-theme before you pick the right one!

:lol:

Arne-A lefty but not a leftist.

Elmer Bernstein conducted left-handed and I was pleased to talk to him about it after a concert. I told him I wished I had film of him conducting the LSO for the teacher that tossed me from conducting class for wanting to do it left-handed. He told me that as long as the orchestra gets a clear downbeat, it'll follow the conductor anywhere.

It is possible that Williams was born left-handed, but was forced to learn how to write right-handed. My father is a few years younger than Williams and had that happen to him. Heck, the elemetary school I attended attempted to convert me before my mother called a conference with my teacher and principal and insisted that I entered the school a southpaw and I was sure was going to leave as such.

As far as those of you who have problems with lefties-- I read a survey done in Europe that showed the percentage of the population that is left-handed is on the rise. Those under the age of thirty are showing a rate of left-handedness of nearly 25%. Back in 1980, surveys were showing lefties as being only 10% of the population.

And, yes, we are a little sensitive about the language. Earlier today I was in a restaurant and when the hostess said, "I'll be right with you." I rejoindered with, "Yes, I know, better to be right with me than left with me."

In my country, supposedly by the political connotations the hands have, using the left hand was banned in the dictatorship. (i hope this is not too political)

My father had to learn to write with his right hand, for example

I had no problems since i was born in democracy, but one friend of mine from the university had her left hand knotted to the back as a child, by a 'gentle' nun (showing its political connection...). I was shocked to hear that.

In my country, supposedly by the political connotations the hands have, using the left hand was banned in the dictatorship. (i hope this is not too political)

Fortunately not in this thread, everyone's behaved themselves very well. I'd be interested in hearing the historic context for that, Luke.