The Indy 4 craze is slowly coming to an end, but how do you feel?

Josh500

I remain grateful for the new music. Thanks, Maestro.

I also remain grateful for the new movie :P Thanks, Steven and George (and please make no more of it, ok?) ;)

Thank you for making a worthy Indy movie!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, the Indy 4 craze was more than “ohmygoohmygodohmygod it’s a new Indy film.” While I was intrigued about what the new movie would be like and the score, too, it was more of a stroll through Nostalgiaville. It really was half a lifetime ago—Crusade came out nineteen years ago, when I was nineteen.

In January 1989, I aided a friend of mine in video taping his Shakespeare class presenting an in-class staging of Pericles. When we got done editing it (looping in music and a couple shots of lightning strikes from Ben-Hur), he had the idea of taking the teaser trailer for Crusade and looping in shots of the Pericles production. We even shot some footage of us in a verdant park; he “played” Spielberg, while I got to “play” Lucas and Ford (at least I had the beard for Lucas). When the class reunited at my friend’s place to see the finished product, everybody laughed at the “trailer” we had produced.

So, as far as Indy 4 is concerned, I have been Janus for the last few months, looking forward (with trepidation) to Crystal Skull and looking back fondly at who I was when Crusade came out. So, you young folk out there, I ain’t gonna tell you that these are the best years of your life, but I’ll suggest that these are likely to be your most carefree days. Enjoy them. Get all excited about movies. Go to midnight screenings. Have fun. Your biggest concern should be figuring out how to get that cutie to give you the time of day. The mortgage payments and such will come soon enough, to quote Indy, “Trust me.”

I've watched it twice, once at the cinema. At first I was very disappointed, but one or two days later I began to forget about (block out) the parts I didn't like and I actually started convincing myself that it wasn't really that bad and in fact it was actually quite good, or to be precise, entertaining.

I remember doing the same thing with The Phantom Menace.

Now, nearly two weeks later and it's no good - I just don't like this movie, and believe me, I've really tried to, but I just can't. Indy IV is a broken mess of a movie with a few highlights, but as with the Star Wars movie above, the vast amount of bad FAR outweighs the pitiful amount of good to be found in its runtime.

Well I've already put the score to KOTCS on the shelf and moved on to other soundtracks.

I've pretty much forgotten most of the film, I tried to look at in a positive form based on the comments here but they just don't hold up in my opinion.

The film is boring and a worthless adventure for IJ to go on.

You guys fail to see the positive aspect. I guess for you the glass will always be half empty rather than half full.

There ARE great moments in the movie, and I for one LOVE the new JW soundtrack. It's not the best movie or score produced by Spielberg/Williams, but I'm really happy Indy 4 got made. So it fell a bit short of expectations . . . so what? There are worse things. I don't think this movie is a total disaster like you make out. And the general audience and critics don't think so, either. It's always the diehard fans who think so--sadly.

It's always the diehard fans who think so--sadly.

Yep.

That is because die-hard FILM fans will never enjoy just plain bad movies, no matter whoever they are about, or whoever they're directed by.

You guys fail to see the positive aspect. I guess for you the glass will always be half empty rather than half full.

Unfortunately, way more than half the movie stinks. We don't "fail" to see anything, we just didn't like what was up on screen. That doesn't mean we see things half empty or whatever, we all have our opinions. You act like there is something wrong with someone who doesn't like what you like.

Unfortunately, way more than half the movie stinks. We don't "fail" to see anything, we just didn't like what was up on screen. That doesn't mean we see things half empty or whatever, we all have our opinions. You act like there is something wrong with someone who doesn't like what you like.

Oh boy, don't get started again! I believe you already had that discussion with somebody else! :P

All I'm saying is, you shouldn't focus just on the negative aspects, but see the bright side as well, even if you don't like the movie.

Oh boy, don't get started again! I believe you already had that discussion with somebody else! :P

All I'm saying is, you shouldn't focus just on the negative aspects, but see the bright side as well, even if you don't like the movie.

Why, whatever do you mean? :down:

As far as entertainment goes, I had as much fun watching Indy IV as I have had with The Last Crusade. Once i accepted the 50s scifi B movie trappings (and it took me a few days), I'm very happy with it as an Indiana Jones flick.

Half the reason people don't like this film is because of nostalgia.

I think you're mistaken on that. That's basically saying that someone's negative opinion about the film isn't valid because of "nostalgia".

I've seen it twice now, and I love it. I think I appreciated it even more after the second viewing. It's just a big ol' fun, entertaining adventure movie, just like the others. It's not perfect, no. (Only Raiders is.) It's probably the least great of the four, in my opinion, but I still think it is just as worthy a sequel as the others. I've had a lot of fun watching it, and all I can say is that I wish everyone else could enjoy it as much as I do.

I'm hoping to be able to catch it again this weekend. <_<

I think you're mistaken on that. That's basically saying that someone's negative opinion about the film isn't valid because of "nostalgia".

He said 'half the reason'.

Believe me if this movie was the 1st indiana jones movie (and released today), without any nostalgia factor, people would praise spielberg.

The most negative reviews are from nostalgics anyway.

When a movie has a very passionate fanbase, if you want to hear an objective review, listen to the common-non fan people.

Finally saw them movie yesterday. It was interesting but there's one thing that left me wondering though. I don't remember right now how it is in the other movies, but yesterday I couldn't see Williams' name anywhere in the credits of the movie. I didn't see it at the beginning of the movie, maybe I missed it. I'm sure it must be somewhere but I just found it weird that it wasn't neither at the beginning nor right away at the end.

Is it usually like that in Indy movies?

He gets his own opening credit. I forget the exact timing or the shot, but I do seem to recall it being placed on the right side of the frame.

Exactly.

Nostalgia has nothing to do with clunky dialogue and lame CGI, those are the major reasons I don't like it. The Jungle Chase just looked bad, plain and simple. Hypothetically, if this were the first Indiana Jones movie then I probably would be more open to the

alien

plot. But this is a sequel, and with sequels there needs to be a certain level of consistency. I just don't think the plot of this film is up to par with Last Crusade, let alone Raiders.

I like how people can't defend a movie that they like without insisting that there is something wrong with those that don't like it. You must be cynical, you are biased... etc. etc. Bias works both ways, I could just as easily say that the only reason you like this movie is because it has the name Indiana Jones on it. Take the name Indiana Jones out of the picture and you probably wouldn't like it so much.

Saw it twice, and am very disappointed overall. It's funny though. When people are gushingly positive about it (mostly people on here), I feel very cynical about it. But when people are on the extreme side of hating it, I feel the need to defend it. My stance adapts according to whichever extreme opinion is being taken. It was a terrible letdown of a film. But it was not the WORST film ever made, or whatever other nonsense some people say of it. It was fun, it was entertaining, and it was nice to see Indy on the screen again.

I am more and more disappointed with the score, however, which was a letdown from the beginning. It's a very poor album, and a very insignificant score overall. There are elements about it that make it worth studying and listening to, and some of them are pleasant on the ears. My favorite new theme is the Russian theme, and it gets essentially zilch time on the album save for the spot in the Finale (my favorite part of the whole score probably).

But the tears have dried and I've moved on.

He said 'half the reason'.

Believe me if this movie was the 1st indiana jones movie (and released today), without any nostalgia factor, people would praise spielberg.

The most negative reviews are from nostalgics anyway.

When a movie has a very passionate fanbase, if you want to hear an objective review, listen to the common-non fan people.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Finally saw them movie yesterday. It was interesting but there's one thing that left me wondering though. I don't remember right now how it is in the other movies, but yesterday I couldn't see Williams' name anywhere in the credits of the movie. I didn't see it at the beginning of the movie, maybe I missed it. I'm sure it must be somewhere but I just found it weird that it wasn't neither at the beginning nor right away at the end.

Is it usually like that in Indy movies?

It was the bottom right of the screen, inside the Russian truck.

Nostalgia has nothing to do with clunky dialogue and lame CGI, those are the major reasons I don't like it. The Jungle Chase just looked bad, plain and simple. Hypothetically, if this were the first Indiana Jones movie then I probably would be more open to the

alien

plot. But this is a sequel, and with sequels there needs to be a certain level of consistency. I just don't think the plot of this film is up to par with Last Crusade, let alone Raiders.

I like how people can't defend a movie that they like without insisting that there is something wrong with those that don't like it. You must be cynical, you are biased... etc. etc. Bias works both ways, I could just as easily say that the only reason you like this movie is because it has the name Indiana Jones on it. Take the name Indiana Jones out of the picture and you probably wouldn't like it so much.

You didnt read my post, did you?

You cannot trust dissapointed fans or entusiastic fans opinions.

You have to trust what the rest of the population thinks. And with this movie they are liking it.

Lame CGI. Jesuschrist

I saw the movie yesterday again, and i cannot see bad CGI. There are too many real sets and models, I did not saw a sole Digital stunt, and i'm sure there must be some, and nowadays movie have tons of noticeable ones. The indy in the warehouse seems to be one, but i cant say if it is or not. The ants look realistic, the prairie dogs too, only some of the monkey are a little jumpy.

Neither is saw floating persons in the warehouse. The jumping wheel cutter destruccion is amazing.

The only effects i could critisize are:

Dovchenko when he is completely covered by ants.

The monkeys on the lianas (not the ones in the car with Irina)

Some of the ball-crushing plants

Maybe the shot of irina's car last jump (before falling down to the other car which is great)

There are far worse effects in the trilogy. And here they may had added a little noticeability intentionally.

What with Aliens?....recently the Catholic Church adressed the real possibility of being other inhabited worlds. Enough religious connection for consistency?

As if relating Atlantis, Egypt and Mesoamerican cultures with aliens was something new.

You didnt read my post, did you?

Yes, I wasn't really responding you though. But here goes.

You cannot trust dissapointed fans or entusiastic fans opinions.

All have their opinions, just being passionate doesn't make their opinion invalid. In the minority maybe, but not invalid.

You have to trust what the rest of the population thinks. And with this movie they are liking it.

I "have to trust" the rest of the population? I form my own opinion independent of what anyone else thinks.

Lame CGI. Jesuschrist

;)

That's for blasphemy!

Sorry, couldn't resist. :lol:

I saw the movie yesterday again, and i cannot see bad CGI. There are too many real sets and models, I did not saw a sole Digital stunt, and i'm sure there must be some, and nowadays movie have tons of noticeable ones. The indy in the warehouse seems to be one, but i cant say if it is or not. The ants look realistic, the prairie dogs too, only some of the monkey are a little jumpy.

Neither is saw floating persons in the warehouse. The jumping wheel cutter destruccion is amazing.

The only effects i could critisize are:

Dovchenko when he is completely covered by ants.

The monkeys on the lianas (not the ones in the car with Irina)

Some of the ball-crushing plants

Maybe the shot of irina's car last jump (before falling down to the other car which is great)

There are far worse effects in the trilogy. And here they may had added a little noticeability intentionally.

OK, that's a decent sized list there for someone who enjoyed the movie. I'm mostly talking about the obvious green screen, among other things. The effects of Raiders and ToD were the best of their day. Last Crusade (aside from Donovans death) and Crystal Skull, not so much.

What with Aliens?....recently the Catholic Church adressed the real possibility of being other inhabited worlds. Enough religious connection for consistency?

As if relating Atlantis, Egypt and Mesoamerican cultures with aliens was something new.

I just never thought of Indiana Jones as science fiction, it was all about Earthly mythology and magical items. And no, I don't give a damn what any church has to say, especially when it comes to science or movies or science movies.

I just never thought of Indiana Jones as science fiction, it was all about Earthly mythology and magical items. And no, I don't give a damn what any church has to say, especially when it comes to science or movies or science movies.

Crystal skulls are also real-life, earthly artefacts. What's more there is tangible evidence of their existence, contrary to the Ark and the Grail. The thing is that they are (supposedly) related to extraterrestrial and not divine origin, either of which is equally probable or improbable depending on what you believe in. If one accepts God's fire, deadly angels, magical stones, people living after having their heart ripped off, holy nature of the Grail and so on..., one could also be open to Aliens. I admit I found it hard at the beginning, when I heard the news about the plot first, but I learned to live with that knowledge and eventually I didn't mind grey ones in the picture.

• 2 weeks later...

Young. I feel.....young.

I've finally put all my Indy soundtracks into a crate marked "Top Secret - Do Not Open" to be shipped to an unknown location in the United States.

I haven't listened to the score in a few weeks now, don't miss it and can scarcely remember any of it, beyond the "Academic Festival" quote. So the good thing about this whole thing is that it's all quickly forgotten.

Neil

Young. I feel.....young.

I've finally put all my Indy soundtracks into a crate marked "Top Secret - Do Not Open" to be shipped to an unknown location in the United States.

By that, you mean "Area 61" in the Australian outback.

My favorite new theme is the Russian theme, and it gets essentially zilch time on the album save for the spot in the Finale (my favorite part of the whole score probably).

Have you listened to Ants! :|

When was the last time Neil liked anything? :|

I think that has yet to happen. ;)

Well, there is Star Wars, Raiders and Superman: The Movie.....unraped versions of course...

I haven't listened to the score in a few weeks now, don't miss it and can scarcely remember any of it, beyond the "Academic Festival" quote. So the good thing about this whole thing is that it's all quickly forgotten.

Amazon currently has it now for $8.97, they must really be trying to unload them!

Amazon currently has it now for $8.97, they must really be trying to unload them!

Believe it or not, that score is 15 years old! I think it's normal that older scores are sold at lower prices.

Believe it or not, that score is 15 years old! I think it's normal that older scores are sold at lower prices.

Whoops! I was reading the thread about Jurassic Park and mixed that up. Sorry. :D

Thanks for that. I just asked for a refund.

Idiot.

Neil