The Star Wars Prequels Appreciation Thread

indy4

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might see The Clone Wars in theatres, but when I do see it, I will definetly go in with an open mind. I don't know whether I'll like it or not. I'm hoping to like it, I certainly might. I know that the MB in general will hate it. As well as critics.

I'm glad my catchy title caught on.

:fouetaa: :fouetaa:

I appreciate the Prequels for making possible 3 new JW scores .The movies themselves are all right. I'm definately not a hater.

I'll see Clone Wars in theaters I guess.

I still like TPM very much, I liked AotC at first but then really disliked it (however, I still believe that some scenes are great) and I like something like 60% of RotS.

As for scores, TPM is stellar for me. I also like RotS and I believe AotC its really underrated here (it's by no means great, but it's still good one [its poor use in the movie was not JW's fault].

I like the prequel films and scores quite a lot. They're not all quite as good as the original trilogy and I can understand and even agree with some of the critisism pointed at them, but I still like them. But then a film has to be REALLY horrible for me to really dislike it.

I actually have less of a problem with the prequels than I have with the raped versions of the original trilogy.

At least with the prequels I can simply choose to ignore their existence.

If I want to watch a decent quality transfer (not that the SW transfers are really perfect...) I'm stuck watching that Han-and-Greedo-shoot-at-the-same-time-look-it's-Vader-boarding-his-ship-Hayden-in-Jedi bullcrap.

I actually have less of a problem with the prequels than I have with the raped versions of the original trilogy.

If I want to watch a decent quality transfer (not that the SW transfers are really perfect...) I'm stuck watching that Han-and-Greedo-shoot-at-the-same-time-look-it's-Vader-boarding-his-ship-Hayden-in-Jedi bullcrap.

You speaking as if the 1996 laserdisc transfers were crap... and i higly doubt people complained about its quality at the time of release...

The prequels (to be accurate Episode 1) made me a Star Wars Fan and in that process a JW Fan. So SW Ep1 is a very special movie for me although now that i'm grown up i also see its shortcomings. But it doesn't bother me that much. I saw the original trilogy after episode 1.

I consider AOTC better than Episode 1 and ROTS better than ROTJ and on par with ANH. The best Star Wars Movie still is TESB

AOTC is a very interesting film with some extremely great scenes (The WHOLE Coruscant at Night Blade Runner Feel, Kamino, Geonosis Battle, Space Fight,...) mixed with awful and bad acted poo (love story, nightmare, death of Anakin's mother). Overall still a good film for me.

ROTS was great in every aspect. It successfully filled the gap between the Prequels and the original trilogy making it for me even better than ROTJ and equally god than ANH.

You speaking as if the 1996 laserdisc transfers were crap... and i higly doubt people complained about its quality at the time of release...

LaserDiscs are crap by today's standards.

I like the Phantom Menace ok. The score is a near masterpiece.

AOTC is utter crap, both score and film

ROTS is almost as bad, both score and film.

TPM is the only one that feels like a Star Wars film and there are times I think ROTS is better than ROTJ, although that's not saying much.

The Phantom Menace is the only decent movie of the bunch and definitely has the best score.

AOTC sucks but the soundtrack is pretty good.

ROTS is better than Clones but still beneath Episode I (both movie and score).

In order of quality:

Sith: Entertaining and for once it felt like a proper SW movie, mostly. Don't know the score, but Battle of the Heroes is meh. I only ever saw the movie once, which says a lot.

Menace: Hollow and heartless rubbish, but the lightsabre battle was amazing in the cinema. Outstanding score, written back when Williams still gave a sh*t about SW.

Clones: Deserves to be fired off into space, or at least buried deep in the Antarctic, as a warning for future generations of film makers. Don't know the score, but I like Across The Stars.

All three movies are mildly entertaining disappointments, fun in a MST3K kind of way. A few changes and a re-edit and they could have been good. TPM is the only score that I've grown to appreciate since its release, its a good score. AOTC and ROTS have some nice pieces but overall are pretty dull, mainly because there is no good action writing in them, unlike TPM. Tracks like The Revenge of the Sith and Chase Through Coruscant are just boring. Across The Stars never caught my ear, its ok and works well enough in the movie but its a bit generic and nowhere near as good as other JW love themes. As someone else said, it sounds like JW stopped giving a damn after TPM.

I love Revenge of the Sith, like Attack of the Clones, and can tolerate The Phantom Menace.

Yeah, I'll go with that. And I love all three scores.

I really, really hate to admit it but for sure one of the best moments of my life was when I saw Anakin lose his legs and arm in Episode III. Yes, pathetic, but I cannot deny that my life would be something entirely different without the prequels.

My opinions on the scores echo the films: love III, like I a lot more than I used to, and despise II, a few moments excluded. Echoing earlier comments, they all need serious editing and could all be much better films if they had that (along with some new ADR).

I don't even remember what happend in AOTC.

The summer of 2002 was the last time I saw the film. I've only watched the bonus material on the DVD.

I think I've only seen the prequels twice each. I'll probably watch them all again when blu-ray hits. I'm sure each "trilogy" will be sold separately in blu-ray, so I'll most likely just get the "original trilogy".

Be it the scores or the films, I love the SW prequels. Anybody else?

noooooooo.jpg

Damn you, that makes me laugh every time.

And yet you love the movie that's from. It's supposed to be dramatic, not comedic. It makes me laugh, too.

Neil

Star Wars should never be allowed in conjuction with Attack of the Clones.

Wow I must be a real sissy. I really enjoyed the love story in AOTC. And the moment when they kiss before they face death in the arena -- damn I love that.

God I pray if I have children that they never read this thread.

:D

I love them too.

-Trent who ignored the rest of this thread as it most certainly entered bashing territory.

noooooooo.jpg

Damn you, that makes me laugh every time.

And yet you love the movie that's from. It's supposed to be dramatic, not comedic. It makes me laugh, too.

Neil

Sad but true.

Where did that image come from, anyway? Comic book adaptation?

-Trent who ignored the rest of this thread as it most certainly entered bashing territory.

Actually I think this is the tamest prequel thread we've ever had here.

Actually I think this is the tamest prequel thread we've ever had here.

That's absolutely true.

George Lucas is the devil!!! He raped my childhood!!!!! :D

He never raped my childhood. The memories of what was will always be with me.

All he's done is just disappoint me.

none of the crap that Lucas has put forth lately tarnishes Star Wars anymore than crap like Jaws IV tarnishes Jaws,

or for those who were bothered by KOTCS, it doesn't lessen Raiders one single bit.

I've never understood the "tarnishing" thing. Name a good fourth installment of anything..? Classics hold up, their sequels (with rare exception) don't.

Name a good fourth installment of anything..?

Star Trek IV and Thunderball.

Neil

Exactly, that's two out of how many? And neither of those films are as good as any of the predecessors, and they are not great films just decent sequels. And the originals are not considered all-time classics either. Critical and box office reception for ST:TMP was mixed, Dr. No was the first movie but the true success of Bond and the Bond formula really came From Russia and Goldfinger.