Man Of Steel (2013 Superman reboot directed by Zack Snyder)

Luke Skywalker

Instead there is a deafening - and i mean deafening - 60 minute showdown (the whole movie seems to be) where all that a 1000 computers can manage is blowing up and/or turned on its head. It was there when i really got pissed at the movie.

That bit really worries me.

Is there anything good about it then?

Karol - who's got 22.5 hours left to his showing

Instead there is a deafening - and i mean deafening - 60 minute showdown (the whole movie seems to be) where all that a 1000 computers can manage is blowing up and/or turned on its head. It was there when i really got pissed at the movie.

That bit really worries me.

Is there anything good about it then?

Karol - who's got 22.5 hours left to his showing

Depends on your movie personality. I might say that Snyder created some visual wonders, but these are means to an end. Not the case when you have no balance between story/humans and the visuals and basically get clobbered over the head with a thunderstorm of effects. It's a rather dour and sour movie in which it resembled the Nolan films - again you might ask why. If, on the other hand, you are able to feed on mighty images alone, it will be worth your while, i found the constant wall of noise and destruction just unbearable in the last hour (mind you, i never have seen TRANSFORMERS 2 or 3 or BATTLEFIELD or such) so that i placed MOS second place after G. I. JOE, my last really shitty movie experience.

Nolan demands the solemn, earnest tone (WB couldn't care less), WB demands big explosions every ten minutes (who knows what Nolan thinks of that).

Nolan demands the solemn, earnest tone (WB couldn't care less), WB demands big explosions every ten minutes (who knows what Nolan thinks of that).

All I want is a human, down to Earth tone and good character development with well spaced kick-ass action sequences.

If they expect Dark Knight box office this film will need to pull in more than a $100 million this weekend.

if they expect Dark Knight it will need to do at least 150 million this weekend. I don't think he can pull half a billion dollars from under his cape like the Dark Knight did.

I know I'm wasting my breath (or finger strength) and it's been said thousands of times but... why even bother looking at reviews? I'm going to see this tomorrow with as little knowledge of what other people think of it as possible, and I have no doubt I'll enjoy it thoroughly.

I was surprised by how disappointed I was by reviews for The Hobbit. It didn't affect my experience, and I enjoyed the film. But that was the first time I fully realized just how destructive that kind of thing can be. How many people might enjoy films (and really, everything) more if their opinions weren't colored by... other people's opinions?

Of course, this is a whole other discussion... I have little regard for the idea of professional criticism of anything. But if Spielberg is right and Hollywood does "implode," you can blame me for promoting the mindset of "let's just enjoy things for what they are."

I do have a threshold for genuinely bad movies. Don't want to come across as a sunshine-and-rainbows optimist. I'm just someone who doesn't want to waste time not enjoying things.

I didn't say that. If I couldn't do that then I wouldn't have liked The Hobbit. I just don't see the point in juggling a review if I want to see something.

At any rate, I should have known that trying to be somewhat positive would be met with ridicule.

I've never seen it.

It's an endlessly quotable film. Some of the best 1980's have to offer. Next to Supergirl, of course.

I'm watching Superman Returns now for the first time in a long long time. It's a really bad and dumb film. Nothing makes sense. Man of Steel needs to try really hard to top that.

Karol

At any rate, I should have known that trying to be somewhat positive would be met with ridicule.

You weren't somewhat positive. You said reviews suck because they told you something you didn't really want to hear (you were 'disappointed in them'). One could say you would have been less disappointed were they more in accordance with your own view - but really, what's the point?

Bah. There is a constant battle in my psyche: do I speak my mind on the internet, or not bother? I should not bother from now on. After all I didn't join this forum to argue about semantics or critics or anything like that... but to discuss film music. I will keep it to that from now on.

Variety says: The humorless tone and relentlessly noisy (visually and sonically) aesthetics leave much to be desired.

Currently sitting at 55 on Metacritic.

I'm going on Saturday. Hype dialled down accordingly, hopefully to be pleasantly surprised. If I walk out having watched a failure then I suppose Snyder was always the one-hit-wonder many claimed him to be.

I am keen to see the grosses for this weekend.

I'm going next Wednesday, the opening day in Germany, to get it over with. I don't expect much, but at least I want to know what I'm talking about.

I've never seen it.

It's an endlessly quotable film. Some of the best 1980's have to offer. Next to Supergirl, of course.

I'm watching Superman Returns now for the first time in a long long time. It's a really bad and dumb film. Nothing makes sense. Man of Steel needs to try really hard to top that.

Karol

Really, nothing makes sense. are you on drugs?

Variety says: The humorless tone and relentlessly noisy (visually and sonically) aesthetics leave much to be desired.

I'm going on Saturday. Hype dialled down accordingly, hopefully to be pleasantly surprised. If I walk out having watched a failure then I suppose Snyder was always the one-hit-wonder many claimed him to be.

Snyder has a hit?

What can I say, I'm a 12 year old prissy person. I've learned so much about myself after deciding to post in this thread. :D

But you still have THE HOBBIT, after all. :P

Snyder has a hit?

300 did very well.

I enjoyed the film. It could stand to lose a bit of fat in the editing room, though. And Snyder needs a DP who's willing to use primary colors rather than blue filters, I wanted the colors on Superman's suit to stand out.

Further thoughts are in the "Last film you watched..." thread.

Saw this last night. I liked the Krypton scenes, and the origin story was handled well enough, but it was very point A to point B. It felt like they hit all the usual points of the story without making it flow naturally. I liked the visuals better than I expected, but even so, the last third of the film had some pretty low emotional stakes, with a bunch of invincible people battling each other and getting nowhere. The film could have used a clever Lex Luthor type to at least present Superman with some kind of intellectual challenge.

The script was bland, and in spite of the "serious" tone, there were quite a few cheesy lines, especially from the villains - but without the sense of fun and wit that would have taken it into more enjoyable, campy territory in the vein of the Christopher Reeve films. Superman didn't get too many lines after the origin story finished, leaving him racing around doing what was expected of him without really commenting or reacting as events unfolded. This lent to the point A to point B feel mentioned earlier and made it even harder to stay engaged through the prolonged battle scenes.

I haven't seen Superman Returns since its release, but if memory serves, I'd put this film on par with that one. Not a disaster, but not inspired either.

the boxoffice prediction for the film this weekend is 139 million dollars.

lets see how that plays out.

the boxoffice prediction for the film this weekend is 139 million dollars.

lets see how that plays out.

If it holds or exceeds that number, I'd expect WB to set a release date for the sequel this Monday. They're not wasting any time going into sequel mode.

Got dragged into seeing this midnight in IMAX with work people. Free tickets, why not right? While I don't give a rats ass about the Superman Franchise, I figured with all the praise AlexcremeshispantsatanythingSnyder heaps on Snyder will at least make it a visual feast. And for the most part it's some nice textbook pretty visuals, though nothing remarkable.

I consider myself to be very fair to Zimmer, which on this forum makes me a Zimmer apologist. That said, the score was terrrrrriiibbble. It just added nothing to the picture, completely hollow. And that's something I don't expect from a Zimmer score. I expect his scores to be oozing with unnecessary emotional punch ALL THE TIME. Not here, it's less meaningful than elevator music.

The acting is decent, Zod and Supes have a couple of nice acting moments at the end.

The plot/editing/pacing is about as good as...who am I kidding, it's not good.

I give it a 5/10, mainly because the production team did a wonderful job putting hollow but technically impressive visuals up on screen!

Did anyone else keep getting flashbacks to Transformers movies? The two movies are in one and the same vein.

seeing it tomorrow at the Regal RPX 3D showing at 3:30. sticker shock prices but I figured that.

Well Avengers was well received and it had a huge Transformer's like sequence.

It was fun, something The DC movies aren't.

What's damning to me is comparing MOS to Batman Begins, which is a bland and boring film.

By all accounts though it seems the execs DID NOT allow Snyder to bring a Watchmen-esque hard edginess and wit to Superman, a certain stylistic approach. Which is what some of us were banking on. Or maybe he really has just blown it all by himself.

It's enormous success last year baffles me, but I guess it was enjoyable enough as loud sfx heavy blockbusters go.

I think the success was mainly dependant on the fact it was the first time audience had the opportunity to see a true superheroes team-up movie that would live up to expectations. For better or worse (and as trite as it sounds), it was something like we hadn't seen before. Also, Marvel built up the expectations in a quite clever way (i.e. all the post-credits teases throughout the various movies before), making the audience believe they were doing it with a plan.

In the end, these kind of movies (i.e. franchises/tentpoles) are somehow condemned to use a two-way recipe: 1) repeat exactly what worked before and beef it up on a much grander scale, or 2) do exactly the opposite way of what was done the last time and erase what didn't work.

I haven't seen Man of Steel, but from previews and trailers it seems to me that WB are doing all they can to make people forget Superman Returns, enhancing the fact this time it's different.