Intrada's Sept. 23rd Release, Something Special?

Ollie

Mehh, what a dissapointment. I know the movie and I don't think this music is anything special. qwell nice, some of you are happy with thi8s release though.

I can leave out thise without regrets. If I want it in the future I can still wait for a rerelease or download it.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, The Boys from Brazil is not a score I'm familiar with, but I'd love to have a copy; I've rarely failed to be entertained by Goldsmith. Sadly for me, I need to save my money for trinkets a little closer to my heart: the Indy box set, for example; and a complete series box set of The Sopranos (and another one for The Wire) I'd love to buy; and a new Stephen King book; and a new wave of Walt Disney Treasures on DVD; and a new box set of Hitchcock movies that features special editions of The Lodger, Sabotage, and Young and Innocent (about time!). Between now and the end of the year, that's more money than I need to spend already; prioritizing on a limited budget sucks, but it's an essential part of life, for me anyways, so I suppose I'm kinda glad this wasn't something I'd feel like I couldn't live without. Family Plot, for instance, or an expanded Conan the Barbarian.

With more money, though, I'd gladly shell out for one of these -- always nice to see Goldsmith treated right, even if I myself won't be benefitting from it.

Mehh, what a dissapointment. I know the movie and I don't think this music is anything special. qwell nice, some of you are happy with thi8s release though.

If a thriller score based on a waltz and written only in 3/4 meters isn't 'anything special', i don't know what is. Kids today..... :unsure:

And the Intrada release is........

Boys From Brazil!!!!

Nice, I've ordered it, together with Morricone's Cuore nel pozzo, Parker's Jaws 3-D :unsure: and Edwards's Finding Rin-Tin-Tin. :)

I just seem not to be that fond of Goldsmith. To ME he is highly overrated. I mean, I listened to "King Solomon's Mines" and I despise it. One of the most "wanna-pretend-Iam-good" soundtracks I know.

I don't respect the work of Goldsmith very much. well I like gremlins, and bits and pieces of Star Trek TMP though

I just seem not to be that fond of Goldsmith. To ME he is highly overrated. I mean, I listened to "King Solomon's Mines" and I despise it. One of the most "wanna-pretend-Iam-good" soundtracks I know.

I don't respect the work of Goldsmith very much.

Well, you should listen to more of his work before saying something like that (King Solomon's Mines isn't exacly the best representation of Goldsmith's oeuvre). Of course, taste comes first than any other thing, but putting Jerry's music down in that way is harsh and unjustified to say the least.

I don't respect the work of Goldsmith very much. well I like gremlins, and bits and pieces of Star Trek TMP though

Must be an Austrain thing. Marian disliked Goldsmith at first.

Now that Goldsmith has moved on to greener pastures, his scores are certainly getting the special treatment with complete re-releases.

Will that be the case with Williams? Only time will tell.

I listened to the sample .ram of the main title of The Boys From Brazil, and the only thing I could think of was how similar it sounded to the waltz from the music of the rope bridge sequence in Pirates 2. Complete with the comical sound and lone trumpet that wanders up and down the register. If you're going to borrow, borrow from the best.

So this release now intrigues me because I love the occasional random Goldsmith score, but even though I want to also get Morricone's Once Upon a Time in the West from Intrada, I have bought way too much online recently. I need to save my dinero for the Indy box set, a new computer I want to buy, and also pay for the musical instrument I took to the shop for overhaul.

I just seem not to be that fond of Goldsmith. To ME he is highly overrated.

What do you think of The Omen and Alien?

2 excellent scores by the master of horror music.

I'm sure he would have spend long winter nights chewing over the lack of respect by someone whose words betray such an erudite musical scholar.

Don't forget Poltergeist by Jerry Goldsmith, and the score to the upcoming remake by James Horner.

:o

They never run out of brilliant ideas, do they?

I'm sure he would have spend long winter nights chewing over the lack of respect by someone whose words betray such an erudite musical scholar.

why should he? what do you want to achieve with that sentence? I don't care what anybody thinks about me and my opinion, and in my eyes Goldsmith gets a lot of undeserved praise, and for me that's a fact without any doubt. He was talented but no genius whatsoever in my eyes/ears.

I am happy that overall, everyone seems to like him. To me the concert I attended where they played his music was a giant snoozefest as someof you would call it, as are most of his soundtravcks.

I formyself can sum him up with "Giant Horn-Section Passages" and Synths. Booooring I tells ya!

I don't care what anybody thinks about me and my opinion, and in my eyes Goldsmith gets a lot of undeserved praise, and for me that's a fact without any doubt. He was talented but no genius whatsoever in my eyes/ears.

Maybe FSM is more your thing.

I don't care what anybody thinks about me and my opinion, and in my eyes Goldsmith gets a lot of undeserved praise, and for me that's a fact without any doubt. He was talented but no genius whatsoever in my eyes/ears.

Sad to see posts like this from Miss Padmé. I wonder if she's bothered to check out the complete scores for Star Trek: The Motion Picture and First Contact. As well as the expanded scores for Star Trek Insurrection and Nemesis.

Personally I like Goldsmith a lot more than Williams and I think Goldsmith is better than Williams.

Edit: BTW Miss Padme I found this post of yours here quite insulting towards Goldsmith.

He didn't pretend to be good, he was good if not great. It's sad to see that people like you are too obsessed with Williams that aren't willing to open up to other composers.

Sad to see posts like this from Miss Padmé. I wonder if she's bothered to check out the complete scores for Star Trek: The Motion Picture and First Contact. As well as the expanded scores for Star Trek Insurrection and Nemesis.

Personally I like Goldsmith a lot more than Williams and I think Goldsmith is better than Williams.

Edit: BTW Miss Padme I found this post of yours here quite insulting towards Goldsmith.

He didn't pretend to be good, he was good if not great. It's sad to see that people like you are too obsessed with Williams that aren't willing to open up to other composers.

Ok you REALLY want to tell me, I say this things because I am to obessed by Williams. Uhm how much do you know of me? do you know what CDs I have at home, what Concerts I attend, what music I play, what music I listen to?

Well I guess not, how can you say I am Williams obsessed and obviously BILNDED by this obsession, so that I cannot see what great, grandmaster Goldsmith was? You dare to say that I am not able to have an opinion based on my tastes without taking John Williams as the judgement base to everything??

Well THAT'S really sad!

too obsessed with Williams that aren't willing to open up to other composers.

Its sad that people like you even waste their time writing something that stupid

I for myself can sum him up with "Giant Horn-Section Passages" and Synths. Booooring I tells ya!

One could say the same thing about Williams, picking certain traits he has.

You people don't realize (or won't admit) how close Goldsmith & Williams are to each other.

I for myself can sum him up with "Giant Horn-Section Passages" and Synths. Booooring I tells ya!

You people don't realize (or won't admit) how close Goldsmith & Williams are to each other.

yes ok i admit that was not fair..

yes ok i admit that was not fair..

Goldsmith's later years (1995-2003) did reveal a more linear and stripped down style than his strongest time period (1970-1982) so it's not surprising that you would make that comment earlier. But listening to some of the examples from BfB (Jungle Holocaust) and you will hear some amazingly detailed string writing, as strong as anything Williams has written and, no offense to the maestro, music that fit the scene like a glove. Goldsmith might not be as virtuosic or even as complex as Williams if you take into the entirety of each one's careers, but when Goldsmith was at his peak, he was doing things that were innovative and compelling. If asked in most film score circles, Goldsmith is greater revered than Williams because he did approach his projects with a little more objectivity. Williams music, especially in the '70s, was what some of us would call "over-written" especially in the case where the music was being put to film. Meaning there would be tons of things going on in the orchestra when someone was simply walking down a hallway or whatever. When I watch films he scored from the '70s, I almost chuckle at how the music is running independently from the narrative in some cases. All this makes for terrific soundtrack listening for sure but sometimes I think Williams forgot that he was accompanying the film.

I do maintain that while Williams is the better musician of the two, Goldsmith was the better film composer. And this is coming from a die-hard Williams fan (he's still my favorite composer).

Actually, Padmé is a lot more open to new composers and styles than 99% on this board. Because oh, yes, she thinks there is life beyond film scores. A much richer one, I would say.

Not that I agree with her viewpoint on Goldsmith, but everyone is entitled to his own opinions.

Well, Boys from Brazil is good , but a holy grail only in the minds of the Goldsmithian FSM board ,so the hype was mainly meant for them . For regular Goldsmith fans holy grails are Gremlins and STTMP complete.

Anything from the Goldsmith/Schaffner partnership is great and Boys from Brazil is one of the greatest. Ordered.

Is there anything of significance missing from the two volumes?

I don't know, I have never seen the movie (and I doubt anyone here has). It looks terrible...

The movie is a bit outlandish with a ham fisted performance by Gregory Peck but it's not at all terrible, especially compared to today's numb-minded thrillers. Goldsmith's score is a brilliant combination of menace and humor.

Not that I'm aware of but as Scissorhands mentioned, I haven't seen the film.

I've got 20 tracks listed in iTunes, but two are somewhat identical. "The Future" and King Richard" have identical endings, roughly the last 3 minutes.

Not that I'm aware of but as Scissorhands mentioned, I haven't seen the film.

I've got 20 tracks listed in iTunes, but two are somewhat identical. "The Future" and King Richard" have identical endings, roughly the last 3 minutes.

Whoops. I misread. Sorry. Actually I have the original 2 LP set of Lionheart from which they made the single CD (The Epic Symphonic Score one) and there's quite a bit that was left off the CD. I can't remember now how much because I haven't listened to my LPs in years now. The CD edit is still a good representation of the score though.

And yes... Lionheart the movie IS indeed terrible. In fact, if you enjoy Goldsmith's score I advise you never to see the film because I guarantee you that whatever visuals the music created in your head the movie will in no way live up to those visions. The scale of the film is far far smaller than that of Goldsmith's magnificent score. Once again a case of the composer seeing a far grander movie in his head than the one he was actually presented with.

But The Epic Symphonic score one came later, originally it was two CDs (of which I've only been able to track Volume 2 down).

That's right. I had the LP set of it which I bought back in 87. Then they released the 2 LP version on 2 CDs and after that they edited it down to one CD. Like I mentioned, I can't remember how much much they cut out... seems to me around 10-15 minutes or so.

I agree with Miss Padme

. Meaning there would be tons of things going on in the orchestra when someone was simply walking down a hallway or whatever. When I watch films he scored from the '70s, I almost chuckle at how the music is running independently from the narrative in some cases. All this makes for terrific soundtrack listening for sure but sometimes I think Williams forgot that he was accompanying the film

and you must be a great zimmer RCP fan

But The Epic Symphonic score one came later, originally it was two CDs (of which I've only been able to track Volume 2 down).

That's right. I had the LP set of it which I bought back in 87. Then they released the 2 LP version on 2 CDs and after that they edited it down to one CD. Like I mentioned, I can't remember how much much they cut out... seems to me around 10-15 minutes or so.

Varese left 5 tracks off the Epic Symphonic version, all from Vol II. iTunes has a 19 tack version, Lionheart The Deluxe Edition. The only track it omits is "The Future".

I concur with MissPadme's viewpoint. I share a similar lack of enthusiasm for Goldsmith (not a lack of respect). It's not like I don't listen to him, but I often find greater satisfaction in many other composers - and what's wrong with that?

A few years ago, I would have named two or three Goldsmith scores that I knew/liked. He was, to me, just one of many in a sea of composers.

Today, I bought Boys from Brazil completely impulsively. The man's music has completely taken over my life, to the point of nearly crowding out Williams (it's more of a phase, I believe, rather than a statement of preference). But the point is, I have grown to love Goldsmith on a level I never anticipated.

All hail Jerry!

Uh-oh!

Must be an Austrain thing. Marian disliked Goldsmith at first.

Now, now, that was over 10 years ago! And nowadays Goldsmith is one of my very favourites exactly *because* of his similarities to Bruckner.

Varese left 5 tracks off the Epic Symphonic version, all from Vol II. iTunes has a 19 tack version, Lionheart The Deluxe Edition. The only track it omits is "The Future".

That's the Japanese Varese/Volcano release which I've had on CD for 10 years or something. The only release I've ever heard.

Goldsmith was pigeon-holed into writing generic, campy music for cinematic trainwrecks far too often. (Does anyone actually think Supergirl is a match for Superman?) But when he was good, he was so good. Even the most close minded Williams fan should be able to appreciate the theme from Alien, for example.

When I watch films he scored from the '70s, I almost chuckle at how the music is running independently from the narrative in some cases.

Examples?

The Asteroid Field- there's tons of activity going on during dialogue parts with Han and Leia to the point where the mixer had to dial down the music. You can actually hear the drop in volume audibly.

To King Mark, I guess you want to fight eh, trying to provoke me by making your remark about liking RC but perhaps you should know that guys like Alfred Newman used to accommodate dialogue in his scores- to the point where he would write where dialogue was in his short scores. Not coincidentally, the music would thin out in those parts.

You obviously did not read the part where I said that Williams' '70s writing makes for excellent listening away from the film but in all honesty, not all of his scores married well with their film sources because he treated them like operas.

Listen to Memoirs of a Geisha and you will hear the change in Williams' scoring aesthetic, where he became more sensitive to what is going on in the film. Is it better music than say Empire Strikes Back? Well, not as complex or exciting. Is it better scored? I would maintain YES.