What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Mr. Breathmask

It looks great, but not matter what you say about it recreating Vermeer's painting's, it's still just a gimmick. And there is no plot in this movie.

Karol - who likes the score too.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks great, but not matter what you say about it recreating Vermeer's painting's, it's still just a gimmick. And there is no plot in this movie.

Sure there is plot but the film is not plot-driven. :thumbup:

I saw most of Enchanted the other day. Meh. Only reason to watch it is for Amy Adams.

I was scared to watch it for a while, but when I finally did, I loved every minute of it.

I saw most of Enchanted the other day. Meh. Only reason to watch it is for Amy Adams.

I was scared to watch it for a while, but when I finally did, I loved every minute of it.

I got a kick out of Alan Menken's score.

WALL•E (***1/2)

on Blu-ray

This was the first time I saw the film. It's obvious that the animation is nothing short of spectacular, and on Blu it was even more amazing than what I would expect in the theater. The surround sound was awesome as well. I also loved the cinematography and lighting. I thought the beginning was a little slow, but it had a brilliant second half. 100% guaranteed for the win come Oscar time. I wouldn't be surprised if the score got a nomination as well, Newman did a fantastic job. I thought the story was very touching, and didn't see any problems with the ending (which I recall some people complaining about).

I thought the beginning was a little slow, but it had a brilliant second half.

Most people would say the opposite

Remember, Koray said the same thing about Transformers.

The Descent.

Has to be one of the best horror movies to be released recently, although with the state that the genre is currently in that's not saying an awful lot.

My wife is off at work until the wee hours of the morning (no thanks to the retail world for "Black Friday" preps), the liquor cabinet is stocked, and well let's face it, the last week has us all reeling with multiple...uh, feelings of extreme excitement...over the recent Indiana Jones "expanded" release.

I'm drinking something stronger than me and watching Temple of Doom. Nothing you say can stop me, and I might just be a nerd enough to pay attention to the music. Especially that old classic, "A Tribute to Versimilitude."

:o

Watched Beowulf today, and then Last Crusade (for the gazillionth time); wanted to hear the music in context again, but the movie still keeps entertaining me apart from the music as well...

Yes, it was rather... different from the epic.

Oh, and I watched a documentary film called "Trinity and Beyond: Atomic Bomb Movie" in Chemistry earlier. It had excellent narration from William Shatner, and excellent footage of atomic bomb explosions. However, there was one thing about this film that really stood for me: the score. Usually, documentaries have "sonic wallpaper" soundtracks with generic rock music, but this film... I was amazed. William Stromberg wrote some truly spectacular music that fits in the era that the film took place, and it did an excellent job highlighting the ethereal beauty and destruction of an atomic bomb. I may have to buy the CD....

I thought the beginning was a little slow, but it had a brilliant second half.

Most people would say the opposite

Remember, Koray said the same thing about Transformers.

Not necessarily. I said Transformers has a cringing first half and a highly enjoyable second. But in both cases I did prefer the end to the beginning.

The first half hour of Wall-E bordered on brilliance. A truly unique moment in big budget animation film, I'm sure most critics will agree. After that it became the same old same old.

Alex

I thought the same way the first time around. But upon seeing it again (and again), I realized that the second half was not quite the fall from grace I thought it was. Sure, too many humans, with a lot of cheap shots, but the two main characters are just as wonderful as they were before.

That may be true but I'm not talking about characters. I'm talking about the mood, the silence, the loneliness, the absence of Nemo-esque adventures, the non-verbal communication, etcetera. That's why the first part stands out and borders on brilliance. I wish they had the balls to make the whole movie like that.

Alex

I got a kick out of Alan Menken's score.

As usual with Menken, the score was nice, but the songs were brilliant.

The Descent.

Has to be one of the best horror movies to be released recently, although with the state that the genre is currently in that's not saying an awful lot.

It's probably the most terrifying film I've seen. The great thing about it is that while being a perfectly cliched horror film, it's so incredibly well-crafted that each and every cliche in it feels just right.

Scary Movie and Scary Movie 2

Two hilarious films. I haven't seen either in a long time, especially the first, so I decided to give them a watch. I forgot that the Wayans bros. really stuck with the style of spoof set up by Zucker and co. They really feel like Zucker comedies in their humor, just more vulgar.

The films have some absolutely hilarious moments, but I find that as a whole film experience they fall apart, as the funny moments are seperated by tons of cliche slapstick comedy (especially 4).

Well that's the point, especially with the first two films. At the end Cindy asks why are you doing this, to which Bobby replies "Did Scream have a plot? What about I Know What You Did Last Summer? Was there a point? And what was up with that white Jamaican dude in the sequel?" :) He's talking about Jack Black.

The fourth film is definitely the weakest, but I really like the third one.

Finished watching Tanner '88. Pretty damn good. The series is uneasy in it's blend of documentry/documentry style/pure fiction, something which it acknowledges by excessive reference to "neo-realism". It is quite a funny and involving series, delivering on it's promise to let you inside a campaign. Michael Murphy is likable as always in the lead, however I'm not quite sure if making the character something of a blank slate was the best route to take. The series is quite scary in how it corresponds to all politics since '88. Already rented the 2004 sequel, Tanner on Tanner.

Being as I am in an Altman, also checked out his last film again, A Prairie Home Companion. A very modest film, and a very successful one. It's basically your typical Altman setting, with an aura of melancholy and death hanging over the proceedings. A lively, funny, sweet film, that in retrospect is unbelievably poignant. I teared up at a couple of points. Altman was one of the good ones. One of the best.

Saw Changeling this evening. I got the sense that the movie did not get very good press...not quite sure why. I found it to be solid and involving. Even it's sprawled out ending worked, as all of it enriched the movie. After her performance in A Mighty Heart, which seemed to be crying 'TAKE ME SERIOUSLY!', Angelina Jolie seems quite comfortable here, and does terrific work. It was nice to see John Malkovich in a non-sinister role (Although I'm far more patient with him ever since I met him last July). Nice to see Colm Feore, even though I wish he'd get more meaty roles. Cinematography is nice and contrasty. As usual with Eastwood, score is a serious problem. One theme, which starts off harmlessly enough, but then takes a turn for the maudlin. What is it with this guy that he insists on sugar coating all of his themes? Still, he did get a few people in and orchestrate it up a bit.

I thought it was very solid time spent, despite the word-of-mouth and the misleading marketing (well, at least I was mislead). Eastwood's best since Mystic River, I thought.

P.S. it's scary how one of the villains in this movie looks exactly like Pixar's John Lassiter.

The Scary Movies are the exceptions in my case. I thought I expressed that when I started that thread about it. I love spoofs, their my favorite kind of comedy. I just don't like sh*t spoofs started after Scary Movie, i.e. Date Movie, Epic Movie, Superhero Movie, Disaster Movie.

The Wayans bros. have an upcoming spoof called Dance Flick. It actually looks like it could be funny.

The Descent.

It's probably the most terrifying film I've seen. The great thing about it is that while being a perfectly cliched horror film, it's so incredibly well-crafted that each and every cliche in it feels just right.

I don't know if I'd call it the most terrifying ever, but it is shockingly affective. It really plays on the most simple of fears like claustrophobia and being afraid of the dark.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas: good. Certainly an interesting take on Nazi Germany seen through a child's eyes. Strong performances from all the leads. The execution of the ending was incredible... thank Horner for that. The rest of the score, meh. I cringed when the danger motif was shoehorned in.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas: good. Certainly an interesting take on Nazi Germany seen through a child's eyes. The execution of the ending was incredible... thank Horner for that.

From what I heard (haven't seen it) the ending is kind of a cop-out

It's not a cop-out. It certainly can be seen as immoral, though. I'm grappling with it. Either way, it was powerful. And Horner did something for the sequence I don't think he's done for a long time.

Juno

The Sundance sweetheart from last year.

Lovely performance by Elen page who occasionally looks to old for the role and occasionally looks just right. Augmented by a strong supportive cast and a script that works, even though at times it seems like it's being quirky and alternative, just for the sake of being quirky and alternative.

*** out of ****

Austailia. Pretty good movie that is a bit scatterbrained. It's a bit unfocused but still good. *** out of ****. The three main characters are way lovable. As far as the score goes, I was surpised that the entire score is essentially based upon Bach's "Sheep May Safely Graze" for whatever reason, and the last swelling cue is Elgar's "Nimrod".

The Savages: Loved it! Funnily enough, during the movie I said to myself, "Wow! This kicks Alexander Payne's ass (Sideways, About Schmidt)!" Then, when the movie was over, the first name that gets credited is ... that's right, Alexander Payne!

savagesposterchrisware.jpg

Alex

I admired the movie, but it was a bit too close to home.

Saw The Duchess. Very bland. Why on earth did something think anyone would give a crap about these dull proceedings? For my money, Ralph Fiennes was the only character that was the least bit interesting, and the only one who didn't feel anaccronistic.

Mongol. The screenplay leaves something to be desired, but the visuals make the film a pretty grand experience.

I just finished the Silence of the Lambs quadrilogy. I saw them in the proper sequence, and I preferred the Silence of the Lambs to all of them. It had the appropriate amount of suspense, drama, and dark humor. The other three films seemed lacking compared to it.

Then again, I'm not a big fan of using varying editing effects to spoon feed the viewer on what they should be experiencing. I felt that often this was the case for three out of the four films.

I see Silence of the Lambs as being the ONLY movie in the so-called 'quadrilogy'. The sequels are garbage and don't exist, in my mind.

Manhunter is another entity entirely. A good film albeit devoid of personality. Forget the laughable argument that Brian Cox is the proper Lecktor; he is no match for Hopkins; in the world of grandiose memorable villains. The latter's Lecktor is up there with Darth Vader when it comes to splendidly fun bad guys, which I'll take over any other (serious) movie killer any day of the week.

Lee - Halfway through My Name Is Bruce and really struggling with it - its terrible (I say that as a worshipper of Bruce Campbell and the ED movies). I'll watch the other half out of plain stubbornness.

Austailia. Pretty good movie that is a bit scatterbrained. It's a bit unfocused but still good. *** out of ****. The three main characters are way lovable. As far as the score goes, I was surpised that the entire score is essentially based upon Bach's "Sheep May Safely Graze" for whatever reason, and the last swelling cue is Elgar's "Nimrod".

I was planning on seeing it today, but my brother saw it last night and said it was one of the worst movies he had ever seen. So I'm gonna steer away. I told him it couldn't be as bad as Pearl Harbor, to which he replied, "Pearl Harbor is f*cking The Godfather compared to this piece of sh*t."