Upcoming Films

Quintus

That was... surprisingly good! This trailer alone was better than the awful Bill Murray live-action Garfield movies of the 2000s.

I loved Garfield ever since watching Garfield and Friends on Cartoon Network before going to school, which only made the disappointment of the 2004 movie feel even worse. Anyway, speaking of that animation, I'd love if this new movie contains some references to Orson's Farm (or U.S. Acres, as it is known in the US).

13 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Garfield doesn't work, which makes his hatred of Mondays baffling. 

“Garfield does not have a job, Garfield does not go to school and every day is the same. Nevertheless every Monday is just a reminder that his life is the same old, same old cycling again and for some reason even though his life is pretty much the same every day on Mondays specifically, awful things tend to happen to him physically.”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/jim-davis-explains-why-ga_b_6094892

Japan's love affair with trashy shark movies continues... For your consideration, I give you: "Hot spring Shark"!

On 16/11/2023 at 10:05 PM, Mr. Hooper said:

Japan's love affair with trashy shark movies continues... For your consideration, I give you: "Hot spring Shark"!

Trashy is right, lol ... it's been many years since I last saw model shots that obvious. 

8 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Trashy is right, lol ... it's been many years since I last saw model shots that obvious. 

Mr. Haruo Nakajima would've been proud to stomp on them. :lol:

image.jpeg

5 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I am only interested in the new Ghibli film.

Same. The Boy and the Heron will probably be my last trip to the multiplex this year.

On 12/11/2023 at 12:28 PM, Edmilson said:

Click-bait BS. (Unfortunately, it worked, since I clicked the link.). Guy bases his entire argument on the notion that nothing’s coming up this holiday season that rivals Barbenheimer, then lists a half dozen movies that are collectively more interesting and appealing to audiences than those two pictures were. Unless he equates “exciting” with box office, which is disingenuous to say the least.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Exactly. How many times can an audience watch one man kill, maim, or otherwise inconvenience, other people, all so he can "find himself"?

They're all government workers, so it's justified.

;)

10 hours ago, Edmilson said:

More vomit-inducing camerawork and tense and brutal fight scenes scored by endless string ostinatos and gritty electronics is on its way.

New ‘Jason Bourne’ Movie in the Works at Universal

Oh boy, my dad's gonna be thrilled! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Sandra Bullock was born in 1964. If she was playing a character her own age in Oceans 8, how can that character be a child in 1962?

Clooney was born in 1961 so it's kinda wonky too.

I guess they're rectroactively saying both characters were older than their actors to make this setting work...

On 21/11/2023 at 2:12 PM, Edmilson said:

More vomit-inducing camerawork and tense and brutal fight scenes scored by endless string ostinatos and gritty electronics is on its way.

New ‘Jason Bourne’ Movie in the Works at Universal

The only one I really liked was the first one. And I really loved the first one.

I like the first three of them, even though I admit they're the big responsibles (along with the bad reception of Die Another Day) for making action (and especifically espionage) movies way less fun and entertaining and way darker, more realistic and paranoid.

I wonder what happened in the alternate universe where the big buzzy "this ain't your dad's James Bond" spy movie of 2002 wasn't The Bourne Identity but rather xXx.

On 21/11/2023 at 2:16 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

How many times can an audience watch one man kill, maim, or otherwise inconvenience, other people, all so he can "find himself"?

Anakin Skywalker has entered the room.

I prefer The Bourne Ultimatum - it being the best and purest exhibition of the series's main selling point, which is the virtuosity of its action set-pieces. When I want to see humans doing human stuff there are countless better options.

I didn't much like Jason Bourne, though, so another instalment isn't likely to interest me much. In fact, even though I thought The Bourne Legacy was alright, I'd prefer it if they had just left it as a trilogy.

On 13/11/2023 at 9:53 AM, Edmilson said:

That was... surprisingly good! This trailer alone was better than the awful Bill Murray live-action Garfield movies of the 2000s.

I loved Garfield ever since watching Garfield and Friends on Cartoon Network before going to school, which only made the disappointment of the 2004 movie feel even worse. Anyway, speaking of that animation, I'd love if this new movie contains some references to Orson's Farm (or U.S. Acres, as it is known in the US).

I have always, unironically, loved Garfield. I used to read the collected comic books all the time as a kid, and I also loved G&F. It helps that Jim Davis is from my state, and as far as I know, still lives here. I've known a lot of John Arbuckles. I haven't seen any of the films. Lorenzo Music will always be Garfield to me.

On his new blog, Scott Mendelson kinda summed it up what can we expect from the big studios next year (aka the year after the strike):

Beginning with Wonka this week and continuing into 2024, Warner Bros. Discovery is aiming for a full-throated theatrical comeback, with or without the likes of Aquaman 2 next week and Joker 2 next October. In a year when strike-related delays have created a movie schedule vacuum that could be worse than 2021 – three underperforming MCU movies are better for theaters than just one MCU movie – WBD could be a by-default box office champion even if they don’t have anything resembling a Barbie-sized mega-smash.

They are closing out the year with three big holiday releases and then will offer eight major theatrical titles (Dune 2, Godzilla x Kong, Bong Joon Ho’s Mickey 17, George Miller’s Furiosa, Ishana Shyamalan’s The Watchers, M. Night Shyamalan's Trap and both parts of Kevin Costner’s western epic Horizons: An American Saga) between March 1 and Aug 16. Counting, uh, #AquaWonkaPurple, that’s eleven movies over nine months. They’ll close out the year with Beetlejuice 2 on Sept. 6, the Lady Gaga-starring Joker Folie a Deux on October 4, the David Zaslav-greenlit Robert De Niro-starring mob flick Alto Guys on Nov. 15 and the animated The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim on Dec. 13. 

Comparatively, Disney has – for the entire year -- five Fox flicks (The Auteur, a prequel to The Omen, sequels to Deadpool and Planet of the Apes and an in-between-quel in the Alien series) plus Pixar’s Inside Out 2 in June and the Barry Jenkins-directed Mufasa: The Lion King at Christmas. That’s one reason the Mouse House will release the three Pixar films that went straight to Disney+, Soul, Luca and Turning Red, into theaters early next year. With Elio, Snow White, Captain America: Brave New World and Thunderbolts sent to 2025, Disney proper is almost taking the year off. 

Paramount has just four films between January 12 (Mean Girls) and June 28 (A Quiet Place: Day One), with the original fantasy If and a Bob Marley biopic in between. However, they could end strong with Gladiator 2 in November and Sonic the Hedgehog 3 in December. To be fair, Sony has a decent-sized slate, including three non-MCU Marvel movies (Madame Web, Kraven the Hunter and Venom 3), Bad Boys 4 and Ghostbusters: The Frozen Empire.  

Universal -- this year’s market share champion thanks to The Super Mario Bros. Movie and Oppenheimer, along with breakouts like Five Nights at Freddy’s -- has its usual deluge of movies big (Twisters) and small (Lisa Frankenstein). Comcast – saving theatrical (partially to boost PVOD) since Come Play on Oct. 30, 2020!

https://scottmendelson.substack.com/p/wonka-and-dune-hope-to-launch-a-year

Disney's schedule looks pitiful.

The first film is a classic!  I still haven't seen the others.

Dunno why they don't just call this one Beverly Hills Cop 4