Upcoming Films

Quintus

7 hours ago, Quintus said:

I'm guessing people here have already seen this in some other thread? I couldn't find it.

Weird and quite jarring to see modern trailer sensibilities applied to a film made in a totally different era and with a very different visual aesthetic to what is around today. Anybody actually think this works?

You couldn't find a thread called "Close Encounters of the Third Kind Theatrical Re-release trailer"?

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27524-close-encounters-of-the-third-kind-theatrical-re-release-trailer/

I found it by typing "encounters" in the search box, then clicking "encounters in content titles only".  It was the second result.

It works perfectly fine.  The only reason people thinks it doesn't is they forget to click "in content titles only".  Surely a smart man like yourself can remember to do that?

Jason, can you see if you can find my It Follows review I posted on here using the search engine? While you're at it, see if you can find any mention of that film on this board anywhere, using the search engine.

Cheers.

On 8/1/2015 at 2:13 PM, Quintus said:

I watched it a couple of months back, a good little thriller with a strong and precise subtext. Can't remember whether or not I mentioned I'd watched it here at the time.

On 10/2/2015 at 0:58 PM, Quintus said:

I really enjoyed It Follows, it felt nice and indie. The suspense was effective of course, but it is the precise subtext which makes it. I'd call it the opposite of stupid.

On 10/2/2015 at 1:13 PM, Quintus said:

The climatic swimming pool sequence let it down. Suddenly the vague but dangerous threat became just another stalking monster. But I forgave the film for that little stumble.

On 11/1/2015 at 7:15 PM, Quintus said:

I thought it only really went wrong at the swimming pool part. It was actually a good sequence in itself, but ultimately the mystery was lessened quite a lot by what basically seemed like an invisible monster. An invisible Kevin Bacon could just have easily been in that scene.

For me, the most successful think about It Follows is its expertly treated subtext.

"follows" isn't allowed as a search work due to SQL limitations; Start a thread to ask Andreas if he can get that changed; He probably can!

Thanks for highlighting that, Koray. That's all I see too. There's another film title I've struggled with on this site too, but I forget its name now. The search engine refuses to find it.

Jason was attempting to be smart-arse with his presentation above, but Koray undermined it thank god.

No, in my posts above, I was talking about when you want to search for threads where you know a word in the thread's title.  IE, I just found this month-old CE3K trailer, let me see if there's a thread about it by searching "encounters" in thread titles only.  I wasn't talking about searching for specific posts within threads, that's a slightly different way of using the search engine.

That sounds overly complicated, compared to Google. Did you manage to find my original It Follows review btw? I swear it's been swallowed up by the forum software.

44 minutes ago, Quintus said:

That sounds overly complicated, compared to Google. Did you manage to find my original It Follows review btw? I swear it's been swallowed up by the forum software.

What's funny is that I when I tried using Google, the first result is you complaining that you can't find the review:

IMG_0798.PNG

Quint never wrote a review when he first watched it. I quoted his first mention of the film above. 

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Quint never wrote a review when he first watched it. I quoted his first mention of the film above. 

What? The site swallowed it up. I once spent about 30 mins trying to find that thing, before giving up. The JWFan search engine is horrible.

10 hours ago, Quintus said:

I thought the pool scene was where the film let itself down somewhat. Still a quality film in spite of that misstep, though.

Hellooooo?

Do the words "sexy young woman, in wet Spandex'' mean anything to you?

16 hours ago, Quintus said:

She was on betamax when I met her.

:lol:

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

What? The site swallowed it up. I once spent about 30 mins trying to find that thing, before giving up. The JWFan search engine is horrible.

It's like one of those episodes of a long running sci-fi TV series where one of the main characters wakes up in a mental institution in the real world everyone else insists they never lived the extraordinary life we've seen them live for the last few years.

22 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Wooooooooow.  Wowie wow wow.

Whoa.

They should have just knocked this all out in a green screen studio, imagine the time and effort they could have saved.

Aronofsky has always been a master of ratcheting up the tension. Even with the overt similarities with Black Swan I trust him to cook up something diabolical. 

Jennifer Lawrence is overexposed though... she's just everywhere. Although I doubt it would matter much when actually watching it. 

1 minute ago, Hurmm said:

Jennifer Lawrence is overexposed though... she's just everywhere. Although I doubt it would matter much when actually watching it. 

I'm not sure that I've seen a modern actor less deserving of attention.

I'm wracking my brain, to see what she's actually done...and not having much success.

Credit to her, she was very good in Winter's Bone, but I did not like the film much. The original Hunger Games movie and X-Men are the only other things I've seen Lawrence in. Is she really overrated though? I don't know, she's a movie star.

2 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

It seems that everyone has forgotten about this one ...

What do you mean?  Because we're looking forward to Aronofsky's next one?  I don't drop a favorite director just because they made one non-masterpiece.