Do you want John Williams to score the last Harry Potter movie?

Jessie Lohner

Do you want John Williams to score the last Harry Potter movie?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

• Sure!
    • No way!

I'm sure this has been done at least a dozen times, but I can't find it.

So I hope it's ok, cause I really wanna know what you guys think!

I really hope people will vote for the 1st option. Who knows, maybe JW or one of his representatives will keep a close eye on this poll, and THEN decide whether he'll go ahead with this project or not.

So? :D

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been lurking on the MB from time to time before I started posting, and didn't some here people say, "I hope he'll never score another HP movie?" That's why I made this poll. Maybe I'm wrong...

I would really like to.. He IS the musical father of Harry Potter, I want himn to complete the cycle

It wouldn't be what it is without his music, mainly for Hedwig's theme.

I would really like to.. He IS the musical father of Harry Potter, I want himn to complete the cycle

JW is the musical father of many franchises. That doesn't always amount to consistent quality, as you know.

But you know he would rock Harry Potter 7. The book is filled with amazing scenes that would be right up his alley

I think a lot depends on the director. If it's David Yates, doesn't he usually use someone like Nicholas Hooper?

I like the first three HP scores (but not so much the CDs that represent them).

I think all the HP have good bits of music in them. I really like "Flight Of The Order Of The Pheonix" from HP5, but the rest of that score just sounds like underscore that's going to get really good and then doesn't!

I think a lot depends on the director. If it's David Yates, doesn't he usually use someone like Nicholas Hooper?

WB wanted Yates to use a real composer for Order of the Phoenix, but Yates fought for Hooper until he got him.

WB wanted Yates to use a real composer for Order of the Phoenix, but Yates fought for Hooper until he got him.

He must be a good friend then? Nothing wrong with making movies with your mates I suppose, just look at the Speilberg/Lucas/Williams combo.

I hadn't even heard of Hooper until HP5. Is he any good?

The same guy who directed HP5 is directing 6 and both parts of 7

Yea it'd be weird if one guy scored HP7 part 1 and another guy scored HP7 part 2

It's also weird that after the three JW Scores all great Williams Themes (except the Main Theme) were obmitted by Doyle and Hooper. If they just used ONE other Williams Theme it would have been enough to get a natural progression of Potter Scores.

But as it stands you have the far too triumphant approach of Doyle lacking any magic and the theme lacking Hooper approach. And I know that there are themes in Hoopers scores, but they are so unmemorable that it all seems like athmospheric underscore. At least the atmosphere is a bit more magical than Doyle's approach.

I don't understand the people who claim that the series is darker and therefore the magic in the scores has to dissapear. A great composer can unite that, as Williams has proven especially in PoA.

I'm sure Hoopers Score would be regarded a lot better if he used "A Window through the Past" in the Sirius scenes instead of his non thematic underscore. This small change would have been enough for connectivity but obviously he is too proud to use other composer's music. That's probably why he is a television composer, he doesn't understand composing for cinema and for an ongoing franchise.

Maybe he got some feedback from the Potter fans and does a better Job in the next film...

Yea it'd be weird if one guy scored HP7 part 1 and another guy scored HP7 part 2

No more weird than where two composers collaborate to score a single movie. Edelman and Jones on Last of the Mohicans. Zimmer and JNH on several. Only in this case, it would be two discrete movies that create a larger story arc, and I can't think of too many meaningful movies where that occurs, usually one composer takes the stab at both parts.

The Star Trek franchise did quite well musically for having composers other than Goldsmith write half of the scores, even if the only really constant theme was written by somebody else, Sandy Courage's fanfare. But then again, those other composers were talented and wrote good scores.

It's also weird that after the three JW Scores all great Williams Themes (except the Main Theme) were obmitted by Doyle and Hooper. If they just used ONE other Williams Theme it would have been enough to get a natural progression of Potter Scores.

To be fair, Williams pretty much discarded all his previous themes himself with Azkaban.

Zimmer and JNH on several.

What have they done together other than Batman?

Who the heck voted no??!!!!

Nicholas Hooper.

No.

After the dismal bore that was most of OOtP (IMO) and the fact that the new movie looks rubbish in my eyes, my hopes are not high for the rest of the series and I don't think Williams should try re-entering the world.

Before I started paying attention to who did the scores, I thoroughly enjoyed the music from the first few Harry Potter films. Then I believe on one of the last films I heard the music and was surprised how . . . well, insignificant it was. As such, I would love to see John Williams complete the musical journey with the final Harry Potter film(s).

Umm, they've only done 2.

Gah. It was a simple error! Stop correcting him(you and whoever else did it).

I would love to see Williams, but it seems maybe it would be hard considering how much he's missed. I mean, the wonderful themes progressed through the first 3 films, but as the next 2 came on, that progression faded away. It would seem hard for Williams to regain that command of the themes, to me anyways, and maybe a bit out of place.

Although never out of place compared to these dreadful replacements.

Hey, I was asking an honest question.

I made one post. It's not like I kept bringing up. Calm down. And I didn't even see the other post, and after reading what J Dan said, it seems I answered his honest question while correcting Wojo. Everybody happy!

No.

After the dismal bore that was most of OOtP (IMO) and the fact that the new movie looks rubbish in my eyes, my hopes are not high for the rest of the series and I don't think Williams should try re-entering the world.

Or perhaps Williams' involvement would make them somewhat reedeemable. :D

I just re-read book 7 not that long ago (and enjoyed it more than ever), and it really is begging for Williams more than any of the previous movies. There are some scenes that could have some killer cues, not to mention- at least if he returned mostly to the pallette developed in the first two movies- some wonderful thematic development from the start to finish.

It's still not going to happen, but it's nice to dream.

While it would be nice for Williams to wrap up what he started I doubt he's really interested.

Bruce Broughton should get a chance to do a HP film.

Count me in as one who's looking forward to a Shore's Hobbit score.