Harp Concerto

TownerFan

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow this is wounderful!

Williams keeps surprising me, the chambermusic for Obama, Viola Concerto, Harp Concerto.

Finally he can write for himself and his soul a lot while he doesn't have to score 2-4 pictures a year!

Harp concerto... I'm not sure I've ever heard such a piece... sounds interesting!

There's a great one by Rodrigo.

Not to mention an absolutely fantastic one by Ginastera.

- Alan, who wants Williams to write a marimba concerto

E.T., Angela's Ashes...?

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone...

E.T., Angela's Ashes...?

Would you be mad if I said "No"?

Yes. We are very, very angry with you, Nick Parker. :angry: You'd better watch your back.

The Ginastera (I agree with Alan) and Rautavaara are my favorite harp concertos. John Williams will never write a marimba concerto for the same reason he won't be writing a piano one (in my opinion). Most likely instruments for future works: oboe, piccolo maybe? Double bass would be so cool. Who knows, I didn't see the Harp Concerto coming, it's good to be surprised from time to time.

In an orchestral setting celli are superior in my mind (up until the time of Beethoven the bass usually just doubled the celli anyway). But taken away from a classical setting the D.B. really does shine!

...Most likely instruments for future works: [], piccolo maybe?

That would be awesome. I always get chills on the flute section of Secret of the Castle and the nice Russian reprise on the end credits of Crystal Skull.

Fluffy's Harp part 2. Another concerto to add to my collection for completeness sake only ,if it's released on an easily accessible c.d. i don't have to order from Transylvania

I would be much happier if Williams was scoring a movie now

Actually, if I remember correctly, the horn concerto was recorded by the Boston Symphony not long ago, under the baton of John Williams with Jamie Summerville as soloist, but the release is still in hold for future release, maybe along with any of the new works?

The Ginastera (I agree with Alan) and Rautavaara are my favorite harp concertos. John Williams will never write a marimba concerto for the same reason he won't be writing a piano one (in my opinion). Most likely instruments for future works: oboe, piccolo maybe? Double bass would be so cool. Who knows, I didn't see the Harp Concerto coming, it's good to be surprised from time to time.

What's that reason Peio? I'm going to look for those harp concertos you menioned since I haven't heard them yet! This is exciting news indeed!

Ah, he said when asked by Hector back in 2005 in one Q&A session in Washington (or was it Boston?) that his wife had also asked him the same question, why doesn't he write a piano concerto, considering that it's his main instrument, but he answered he feels that other instruments were more capable of conveying a wider range of emotions (or something like that, but you get the idea).

There's a great one by Rodrigo.

Huh. I did not know that.

Concierto serenata for harp and orchestra.

Haha, I didn't know that either. Funny, coming from:

a) me, who considers himself a fan of his music

b) Elmo Lewis, who made a monographic radio show on Rodrigo for several weeks when he worked in Aranjuez, and even got praised by Rodrigo's late wife.

Haha, I didn't know that either. Funny, coming from:

a) me, who considers himself a fan of his music

b) Elmo Lewis, who made a monographic radio show on Rodrigo for several weeks when he worked in Aranjuez, and even got praised by Rodrigo's late wife.

;)

I have this album, the Concierto serenata being my favourite work on it:

51VUmzbLwPL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I'd love to hear a Trombone Concerto

I love Nyman's.

Incidentally, I just ordered Williams' tuba concerto yesterday (never heard it).

Excellent. I never listened to a solo Harp before....

A concerto is not solo but with orchestral accompaniment.

Russian composer R. Glière also wrote a concerto for harp and orchestra.

I hope CD recordings will follow soon, especially that chamber piece sounds interesting.

Alex

That's a great news indeed. ;) I have always liked his harp writing. I hope, however, this will be a concerto for harp and orchestra, not just solo harp. I am still not a big fan of long solo instrument works.

Harp concerto... I'm not sure I've ever heard such a piece... sounds interesting!

There are some notable ones. Ginastera and Boieldieu come to mind.

Considering JW's extensive harp parts in his orchestral scores, he must have a lot of fun writing this concerto ROTFLMAO

Wow, viola AND harp concerti to which to look forward? Awesome! Now, let's get these, the horn concerto, clarinet concerto and Sounding recorded and released immediately!

Tim

Interesting news. Pity though his concert works aren't released in a amount I would like them to.

Karol - who has only a couple of such CD's (but likes them very much)

Still waiting for his piano concerto (or sonata)... It will be his masterwork.

The Piano Sonata is his first opus.

I want the HORN CONCERTOOOOOO!!!! ...on CD....

And the trumpet concerto too! I started working on it a few years back...wow...just amazing.

Huh?

http://www.amazon.com/Williams-Trumpet-Con...l/dp/B00006F7K4

Looks like bloody expensive :P

You can order it also from the official site, Denouement Records. It hasn't been updated for years, but orders are placed from time to time.