The one cue blows you away each time.

Kevin

Speaking of Goldsmith & Barry, if you ever wanted to hear Goldsmith in a somewhat Bond sounding score you should check out Prometheus's release of Ransom.

While it's pure Goldsmith it sounds like it could fit in a Connery Bond film, and the movie even stars 007.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last 15 minutes of E.T.

As Trent said, it's called "Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye."

It's the best piece of music ever written for motion pictures. Even if you don't know the images it's associated with, the music tells the story perfectly. A fun chase, a dynamic orchestration as the bikes take flight, a setup for a tearful farewell, a tender moment between boy and alien, a triumphant takeoff and a full-on orchestration of the opening notes.

I get choked up every time I listen to it.

I listened to "The Enterprise" oncemore, I love it. But I don't think anyone can get anymore schmaltzy and cliche than Jerry in that cue.

I love it though, but you almost can picture Kirk and Spock dancing across the Ice..

its not schmaltzy or cliched in any sense, and I can't imagine Kirk and Spock ever dancing to this. :(

I listened to "The Enterprise" oncemore, I love it. But I don't think anyone can get anymore schmaltzy and cliche than Jerry in that cue.

I love it though, but you almost can picture Kirk and Spock dancing across the Ice..

its not schmaltzy or cliched in any sense, and I can't imagine Kirk and Spock ever dancing to this. :(

oh what a pity, thats quite an image! Of course it is schmaltzy and clichee joey!! and I tell you why: because it is according to my taste, and that is everything that matters!! it is not to you ok, I don't care.

This sounds so much like Enterprise on Ice :( now that I think of it, (yyeeeah again, and again.. and a bit more ritardando!)Goldsmith is so over the top in that cue it seems partially like a spoof of some Space Love epic :):P

If I had a penny for every time a JWfan member expressed personal opinion as undeniable fact...

Hey I am talking about music here, my feelings is the only thing that matters for me, so FOR ME this is a fect.. it isn't so for the rest of the world? FINE!

I don't say that my opinion is the only truth, you must mistake me with someone else

Star Wars is far from being cliche and over thetop, it is a contempory masterpiece..

If I had a penny for every time a JWfan member expressed personal opinion as undeniable fact...

Hey I am talking about music here, my feelings is the only thing that matters for me, so FOR ME this is a fect.. it isn't so for the rest of the world? FINE!

I don't say that my opinion is the only truth, you must mistake me with someone else

I wasn't talking only about you. You weren't even the main person I was talking about. :( But...while I've got your attention...:)

The point of a message board is to communicate, share, understand others' viewpoints. If the only perspective you find valid is your own...what's the point of entering into subjective conversations?

you'd have under $5000.00 and that is a fact.

I wasn't talking only about you. You weren't even the main person I was talking about. :( But...while I've got your attention...:)

The point of a message board is to communicate, share, understand others' viewpoints. If the only perspective you find valid is your own...what's the point of entering into subjective conversations?

yes you are absolutely right, and thats why I say any discussion is useless.. no thats my real point of view, atleast for me.

yes you are absolutely right, and thats why I say any discussion is useless.. no thats my real point of view, atleast for me.

Then don't participate in the discussions! :( I don't mean to sound rude or uninviting...but if your entire purpose in a discussion is to insist that the discussion is pointless and each person's opinion is the only one that must matter to them, you're really not bringing much to the table!

It's dark out right now. That's undeniable fact. However, someone in Europe might disagree with me. Nobody wins.

In which case one simple expression of the complete truth is sufficient - very close to half of the world is currently sitting in its own shadow. Everybody wins! :(

MissPadme, can you crop you avatar a bit lower?

Is that Miss Padme herself?

Or is that Natalie Portman again? :lol:

It's Natalie Portman, where Esther got that picture is beyond me. Looks like a paparazzi shot.

What is her obsession with Natalie Portman? ;)

Well, she's better looking than Carrie Fisher, at least.

Or we could just say "Star Trek TMP sucks" once in a while...

No,we CAN'T!

I have two choices.

The first is "Waking Up" from "The Towering Inferno". I know it is "damaged", but it is a majestic piece. From the cascading strings, to the slow statement of the main theme, it really moves me.

The second is the first five minutes from "Superman Returns" d.v.d. Like most of us, I had given up hope of ever hearing THAT music at the cinema again, and when I saw John Williams' credit fly through space, as it did in the original, I must confess that I shed a tear. Musically, at least, Bryan Singer did us all proud.

p.s. "The Mutant" is simply FANTASTIC!!!

"Parting Words" from Season 1 of Lost. The scene is completely carried by the music, and between that and visuals it's such an epic and cathartic moment (probably my favorite of the series). Seeing the clip of Giacchino conducting this at the symphony performance on the Season 4 DVD is quite wonderful.

I didn't know this was on the S4 DVD! I'm gonna have to check this out. This is easily not just one of my favorite Giacchino, or Lost cues but one of my favorite score cues as of late.

Ocean's Apart (aka Juliet's theme) is not my favorite musical moment from the show, but a lot of that is simply because that episode is so weird and...bad. =P It's certainly a very good theme.

And I'm wondering about the S4 soundtrack as well, though I suspect it'll be my least favorite of the first four.

Ocean's Apart (aka Juliet's theme) is not my favorite musical moment from the show, but a lot of that is simply because that episode is so weird and...bad. =P It's certainly a very good theme.

Heh, I know what you mean. While the island stuff in most of Season 3 is really great, there are a lot of bizarre flashbacks that don't amount to much (Jack in Thailand, Locke at the commune, Sawyer in jail, etc.) But I do like the moment that "Ocean's Apart" underscores...sort of a new beginning.

And I'm wondering about the S4 soundtrack as well, though I suspect it'll be my least favorite of the first four.

I actually think the Season 4 music is just as good as previous seasons, with some amazing highlights (especially the Oceanic Six music in the two finale episodes). It'd be nice to get word of a release by the end of Season 5 at least.

Heh, I know what you mean. While the island stuff in most of Season 3 is really great, there are a lot of bizarre flashbacks that don't amount to much (Jack in Thailand, Locke at the commune, Sawyer in jail, etc.) But I do like the moment that "Ocean's Apart" underscores...sort of a new beginning.

Yeah, the season had its ups and downs. Perhaps unusually, however, I think it's my favorite season so far overall. The stuff with the Others is just so fascinating, you know? I'm hoping this coming season will provide an equal level of intrigue as far as they go. (No spoilers, please, if you know of any. I'm trying to avoid those. :))

I actually think the Season 4 music is just as good as previous seasons, with some amazing highlights (especially the Oceanic Six music in the two finale episodes). It'd be nice to get word of a release by the end of Season 5 at least.

I don't think there was anything bad about the S4 music, per se, but there were far fewer new themes, and some passages were either tracked from older episodes or basically re-recorded. There definitely were some great moments, though. "Life and Death" meeting the Kwons' theme at Jin's grave...the aforementioned Oceanic 6 theme...some of the new variations on Ben's theme...the freighter theme...and there was some very tense, appropriate, interesting, enjoyable, non-thematic music in the season finale, particularly. Don't get me wrong...I'm eagerly awaiting the soundtrack release. I just don't think it'll fully measure up to the greatness that the first through third soundtracks accomplished. But I remain optimistic for the fifth season, in every sense. :D

strangely, there has just been only one mention of this. One cue that will always move me is 'Remembrances' from Schindler's List, and specifically the version without the solo.

I noticed earlier someone mentioned "Neodämmerung" from The Matrix Revolutions soundtrack and I agree that is also one cue that blows me away each time and I also agree with "Mona Lisa Overdrive". Hell all three scores for The Matrix blow me away each time I hear them. They're by far my favorite Trilogy scores even above Star Wars.

I hate using the term blown away for gentle music but these grab me and won't let go.

Star Of Bethlehem - Ben Hur

Hymn to the Fallen - Saving Private Ryan

Gratitude - Mulan

Rose's Death - Cocoon

The Artist Who Did Not Want to Paint - Jerry Goldsmith from The Agony And The Ecstasy

I could do a list of Delerue's music but here are a few:

Love Theme - Joe Versus The Volcano

Theme from Rich And Famous

The Mailbox / End Credits - The Escape Artist

Theme from Rich And Famous

I'll second that.

I know I mention "Blood Moon" often...but seriously, that cue is one my favorite ever. Blows me away every time. I loved it forever in the crappy LP-transfer boto I had, but I gained a whole new appreciation after Prometheus' release.

Yes, after the film was finished the studio felt the audience might need an introduction to Michelangelo so they produced a 15 minute documentary to be shown before. I believe Alex North had already finished scoring the film and was busy on another project so he recommended Jerry Goldsmith to score it. Now I'm not a 100% sure about that and I don't remember if the liner notes mention that or not.

Alex North scored the actual film and Goldsmith only provided music for the documentary.