Exactly what JW scores are true 5 star scores to you?

JoeinAR

I consider E.T. and Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom to be true, 5-star scores. There are a great number of 4.5-star runners up though, including SW: A New Home and Raiders of the Lost Ark

How can Raiders of the Lost Ark receive anything less than 5 stars? ;)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jaws

Star Wars

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind

Superman

The Empire Strikes Back

Raiders Of The Lost Ark

E.T.

Jurassic Park

Schindler's List

Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone

The 10 best scores of John Williams' career.

every Star Wars score

E.T.

the 3 original Indy scores

Jurassic Park

Jaws

Schindler's List

Home Alone

Memoirs

A.I.

every Harry Potter score

That's it!

Oh yeah, and I should probably mention, with very few exceptions every other JW score gets a 4.5 from me. ROTFLMAO

The weird thing about Merkel's list is not really that is long (I'm sure a lot o people here love all of Williams's scores) but that it's missing some of what many would consider the best (SW, Jaws, Superman, Raiders).

they are too Americana for him

I guess SW is much more American than Amistad or Saving Private Ryan.

It's a very honest list on my part. Star Wars, Jaws, Superman, Raiders are all fantastic scores. no doubt. But they do not represent the pinacle of JW's abilities (specially not Superman, which has fantastic 40 minutes and then drags terribly), in my very humble opinion.

I consider the scores I listed to be truly special and each demonstrate a somewhat unique side to Williams' music. As with any artist, his most well know work is not necesarly his best. Besides, we should welcome diversity on this boards. The whole "John Williams wrote Jaws, Star Wars, Superman, Indy, Harry potter and the rest" gets boring.

I'd say (roughly in order):

Angela's Ashes

Schindler's List

Close Encounters

Hook

Star Wars

Empire Strikes Back

The Fury

Munich

Jane Eyre

War of the Worlds (yes, seriously...)

And all the other great ones I've forgotten...

Funnily enough, the Indy and Harry Potter scores, seeming mainly to consist of 'action' music, don't do it so much for me, although I LOVE (and couldn't live without) "Fawkes the Phoenix" and "Window to the Past"...

I've missed the point of nothing. The music is all awesome. But saying one score is 5 stars and another is 4.5 stars and polling to compare a great score to a crappy score is just:

beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

and that's the point that's being missed here. If all the scores are five star scores, then none of the scores are five star scores.

Jane Eyre

Close Encounters

Empire Strikes Back

E.T

Return of the Jedi

Empire of the Sun

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Hook

Schindler's List

Jurassic Park

Sabrina

Sleepers

Seven Years in Tibet

Amistad

Saving Private Ryan

The Phantom Menace

Angela's Ashes

A.I

Minority Report

Prisoner of Azkaban

Revenge of the Sith

War of the Worlds

Memoirs of a Geisha

Munich

KIngdom of the Crystal Skull

Hold on, that's almost everything he's ever done!

Jane Eyre

Close Encounters

Empire Strikes Back

E.T

Return of the Jedi

Empire of the Sun

Hook

Schindler's List

Jurassic Park

Sabrina

Sleepers

Seven Years in Tibet

Amistad

Saving Private Ryan

The Phantom Menace

Angela's Ashes

A.I

Minority Report

Prisoner of Azkaban

Revenge of the Sith

War of the Worlds

Memoirs of a Geisha

Munich

All except for Star Wars.

For me, the truely 5-star scores are:

"Images",

"C.E.3.K.",

"Superman",

"...Empire...",

"Raiders...",

and "E.T.", however every-EVERY-score that John Williams has composed has, for me, something of interest. Most of his scores I give in-between 3, and 4.5., but the scores mentioned above not only represent a personal best, but are also supreme examples of his art.

Jane Eyre

Close Encounters

Empire Strikes Back

E.T

Return of the Jedi

Empire of the Sun

Hook

Schindler's List

Jurassic Park

Sabrina

Sleepers

Seven Years in Tibet

Amistad

Saving Private Ryan

The Phantom Menace

Angela's Ashes

A.I

Minority Report

Prisoner of Azkaban

Revenge of the Sith

War of the Worlds

Memoirs of a Geisha

Munich

All except for Star Wars.

Oh, yeah. Any particular reason for that, as most people seem to like it?

What exactly are John's 5 star scores in your opinion.
Merkel you might as well have listed the ones you don't consider 5 star, I'm sorry but all those scores are not equal to each other, and it really is an insult to his truly great scores to lump so many avg. ones in with the great ones

:spiny:

The weird thing about Merkel's list is not really that is long (I'm sure a lot o people here love all of Williams's scores) but that it's missing some of what many would consider the best (SW, Jaws, Superman, Raiders).

they are too Americana for him

Of course, it's an anti-American issue! After all, nothing says "Americana" like Star Wars.

Henry Buck you're being a stupid **** ;), Star Wars isn't Americana, nor is Amistad or SPR. Superman is however. My comments had nothing to do with anti american sentiment, but your pea brain didn't know the difference. You're making something out of this that isnt there.

The absolute 5-Star scores for me are:

Star Wars

The Empire Strikes Back

Raiders of the Lost Ark

E.T.

That's it. If I'm really honest those are the 4 scores that I absolutely cannot fault. There are three scores that come very close:

Superman: The Movie

Jaws

Schindler's List

What exactly are John's 5 star scores in your opinion.
Merkel you might as well have listed the ones you don't consider 5 star, I'm sorry but all those scores are not equal to each other, and it really is an insult to his truly great scores to lump so many avg. ones in with the great ones

:spiny:

Don't nitpick Joe, he doesnt like it :P

Anybody need my services? ;)

do you have experience? If so when, where, and most interestingly HOW?

I've always suspected Luke might be one of an estimated dozen serial killers in Spain

I got a degree that entitles me to do that.

I have done it once. Early this year, in a rehabilitation center, with an injection of pentothal. It was heavily injured stork (beyond rehabilitation..) :(

AND I AM NOT A SERIAL KILLER! :lol:

Seriously.

It's a very honest list on my part. Star Wars, Jaws, Superman, Raiders are all fantastic scores. no doubt. But they do not represent the pinacle of JW's abilities (specially not Superman, which has fantastic 40 minutes and then drags terribly), in my very humble opinion.

I consider the scores I listed to be truly special and each demonstrate a somewhat unique side to Williams' music. As with any artist, his most well know work is not necesarly his best. Besides, we should welcome diversity on this boards. The whole "John Williams wrote Jaws, Star Wars, Superman, Indy, Harry potter and the rest" gets boring.

I kinda disagree, I think his best stuff is the most well known, IMO nothing beats Star Wars or Superman for example. Anyway, I welcome diversity, and I could see how someone could like Schindler's List and not Star Wars, but the curious thing about your list is that KOTCS and ROTS are on it but not Raiders and Star Wars, which I think are much, much better scores.

as long as you've posted, I just don't see how you can believe that.

Henry Buck you're being a stupid **** :( , Star Wars isn't Americana, nor is Amistad or SPR. Superman is however. My comments had nothing to do with anti american sentiment, but your pea brain didn't know the difference. You're making something out of this that isnt there.

I'm sorry that I made assumptions based on your habit of turning everything into an issue of patriotism.

Huh?

you're not the brightest star in the universe are you!

I have done it once. Early this year, in a rehabilitation center, with an injection of pentothal. It was heavily injured stork (beyond rehabilitation..) :)

You had me worried for second there until you mentioned it was a stork.

:(

Huh?

He's talking about how long Merkel has been a member. See Joe thinks all the newer members are the idiots while the original 02 members are the greatest posters alive.

not true at all Koray, I do hold you higher than Indy4 believe it or not. As to the original 02 members, most were here before this version of the board. Original doesn't quite seem the right word.

Huh?

He's talking about how long Merkel has been a member. See Joe thinks all the newer members are the idiots while the original 02 members are the greatest posters alive.

Yeah, but can you really blame him? ;)