Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Pieter Boelen

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (John Williams)  

38 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this score?

• 5 stars
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I'm not familiar with this score

Every few days I will post a thread on a random score from my collection that we can discuss and rate. I made a playlist on my computer with one track of each score I've got, so by using the random play option, I'll be able to post a truly random score each time. Hopefully this will allow us to discuss some scores that would otherwise never be discussed. Also we can record the rating so that we can create a full list of the ratings given to scores by JWFan.com.

Today's score is Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by John Williams. Are you familiar with it? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? How do do you think it works in the film? What are your favourite tracks?

Harry_Potter_and_the_Chamber_of_Secrets.JPG

So far JWFan has rated:

See Soundtrack Ratings by JWFan.com.

This web page contains the ratings from all my previous polls as well as those of Blumenkohl's.

Final ratings are converted to a 1-10 rating for both rating systems so that they can be compared.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fawkes The Pheonix may be JWs best composition of the past 15, 20 years. The Chamber of Secrets theme is also great. The rest of the score is mediocre and/or uninspired. 3 stars, all earned by the Fawkes and Chamber themes.

2 stars for its unending ability to rip off the first great score - and occasionally other scores like AOTC. Fawkes' theme is overrated, in my opinion, too, though it's not as if I think it's bad or anything. I just don't like where he takes the melody after the first five wonderful notes.

In all honesty, I think the score corrupted my opinion of the whole film. It's got to be my least favorite Potter film thus far, and I think a big part of that is the way I constantly feel like the music is trying to tie each scene into another one in the first film. I pay too much attention to the music, I know. But it bothers me.

4,5 stars from me. 0,5 star substraction for reusing music from the previous film and also AotC. :(

The rest is absolutely great. Great new themes and a lot of other great music as well.

4.5 Just after the masterpiece Philosopher's Stone. Especially the action cues The Flying Car and The Spiders are among the best Williams has ever written. And the counterpoint in Dobby the House Elf on its own would be worthy of an Oscar.

3.5 stars.

It's Williams in a hurry and you can hear it in some of the music. Fawkes is a nice cue and so is the Chamber Of Secrets theme.

The new themes are great. This one's a very accessible score for me when I'm looking for something to listen to. However there is some poorly adapted music from the first film. I like the re-recording of "The Flying Keys" for the sequence with those little blue creatures, but I don't like the re-use of that piece. The Quidditch scene is a disaster musically.

Between 3.5 and 4. There's some fantastic material (Fawkes, Chamber, Flying Car), and lots of recycled music. I do love those choral passages in "Dueling the Basilisk."

3.5 for me as well. Wonderful highlights in the new themes and certain setpieces, but lots of rehash and uninspired underscore.

And I'll add that The Chamber of Secrets is one of Williams' greatest 21st century themes.

I love this score. I don't know if I could assign a number value to it (4.5 stars would be fair), but it's really well done and enjoyable. Ross did an outstanding job with Williams' music compared to others who have had similar opportunities. He is a very talented musician and his ability to get pre-exisiting music to work as well as it does speaks volumes about his ability.

That he was allowed to used the London Simphony Orchestra and had the help and imput of John Williams is a nice bonus.

j/k

3.5 stars, mostly because of the concert arrengements and a few other pieces like the flying car, I really loved it when it came out but I don't listen to it a lot these days (all of the Potters actually). The reused music is annoying, especially the AOTC bit.

Not as good as the other 2 HP scores, of course, but for me this is still a 5. The new themes, especially FtP and CoS, are mesmerizingly good.

Also, I very much love the new cues, as well, like The Spiders and The Flying Car.

4 Stars

My favorite overall HP score, and Fawkes and the Chamber theme are my favorite in the series. Which tracks contain reused AOTC material?

no tracks,its in the film,a quidditch match portion is copied from Chase Through Coruscant and Lucious theme is the same as the separatist theme from AotC

I didn't think Lucius even had a theme. But the SW copying I think really does indicate how short of time he was at some points of this process.

And I blame Spielrock for making CMIYC at the same time.. grrr.

5 stars:

"Fawkes the Phoenix"

"The Chamber of Secrets"

"Dobby the House Elf"

"The Flying Car"

"The Spiders"

"Fawkes Is Reborn"

"Dueling the Basilisk"

a tiny bit of unreleased music

frisbee:

everything else

Seriously though, it's great given the circumstances in which it was written. I'd say the only problem is that Williams tried to write too much and ended up with some embarrassing results (e.g. the Quidditch match music). Ross should have been the co-composer.

I love this score. I don't know if I could assign a number value to it (4.5 stars would be fair), but it's really well done and enjoyable. Ross did an outstanding job with Williams' music compared to others who have had similar opportunities. He is a very talented musician and his ability to get pre-exisiting music to work as well as it does speaks volumes about his ability.

That he was allowed to used the London Simphony Orchestra and had the help and imput of John Williams is a nice bonus.

;)

I think it's also used near the end of the film, sometime in the scene when Dobby is freed, but I could be mistaken.

you are not mistaken

5 stars:

"Fawkes the Phoenix"

"The Chamber of Secrets"

"Dobby the House Elf"

"The Flying Car"

"The Spiders"

"Fawkes Is Reborn"

"Dueling the Basilisk"

frisbee:

everything else

I still have a soft spot for the Cakes for Crabbe and Goyle/Polyjuice Potion sequence.

Very cute renditions of the Nimbus 2000 theme, yes. I like it, but if Chris Columbus was a better director there would have been no need for it.

5 stars:

"Fawkes the Phoenix"

"The Chamber of Secrets"

"Dobby the House Elf"

"The Flying Car"

"The Spiders"

"Fawkes Is Reborn"

"Dueling the Basilisk"

frisbee:

everything else

No Reunion of Friends?

5 stars:

"Fawkes the Phoenix"

"The Chamber of Secrets"

"Dobby the House Elf"

"The Flying Car"

"The Spiders"

"Fawkes Is Reborn"

"Dueling the Basilisk"

frisbee:

everything else

No Reunion of Friends?

That's nothing but music from Philosopher's Stone with some embellishments by William Ross. Like the ending of the film itself, I feel the bombast of this music is too much. "Leaving Hogwarts" was fine the way it was.

Like the ending of the film itself, I feel the bombast of this music is too much. "Leaving Hogwarts" was fine the way it was.

Never spoke a truer word, mate. I think the expanded ending is interesting and fun in its own way, but totally inappropriate to the ending, which is, in turn, totally inappropriate to the film.

5 stars:

"Fawkes the Phoenix"

"The Chamber of Secrets"

"Dobby the House Elf"

"The Flying Car"

"The Spiders"

"Fawkes Is Reborn"

"Dueling the Basilisk"

frisbee:

everything else

No Reunion of Friends?

That's nothing but music from Philosopher's Stone with some embellishments by William Ross. Like the ending of the film itself, I feel the bombast of this music is too much. "Leaving Hogwarts" was fine the way it was.

I recall Williams commenting specifically on that track on the DVD extras. I always thought it was an original cue.

You don't say. I recall William Ross commenting specifically that he wrote the new music (via member Hellgi during the Third Chamber of Secrets Controversy War).

Yes, Hellgi's said that Ross wrote the new Reunion of Friends extension. But I could have sworn it was at least the Fifth war. ;)

Like the ending of the film itself, I feel the bombast of this music is too much. "Leaving Hogwarts" was fine the way it was.

Never spoke a truer word, mate. I think the expanded ending is interesting and fun in its own way, but totally inappropriate to the ending, which is, in turn, totally inappropriate to the film.

Considering it was scoring the overly schmaltzy and totally out of place return of Hagrid I don't know if anything would have been appropriate.

3.5 stars, mostly because of the concert arrengements and a few other pieces like the flying car, I really loved it when it came out but I don't listen to it a lot these days (all of the Potters actually). The reused music is annoying, especially the AOTC bit.

Of all the wealth of new cues and themes, I don't understand why some people deliberately have to focus on that...

And I blame Spielrock for making CMIYC at the same time.. grrr.

No, Catch Me is a fantastic score on its own. I like it very much, although I don't listen to it as often as to CoS. ;)

Ross should have been the co-composer.

Somehow, I think that would have been even more embarrassing...

I mean, why else wasn't he "allowed" to write anything?

I like the ending. The ending of the PS is greatly expanded here, and I prefer this one over the original, more quiet ending.

I don't think this is inappropriate at all. It's exhilarating. Also, I like the first minnute or so with Ron and Hermione in that awkward moment...

Oh yes much more embarrassing than recycling music from the first film and "copying" music from AOTC.

Of all the wealth of new cues and themes, I don't understand why some people deliberately have to focus on that...

Because recycled music makes up at least half the score, if not more.

What good is a "wealth" of new themes if they are only heard in the concert arrengements?? Dobby's theme and the Chamber's theme don't appear in any other tracks in the OST, and I believe they are only heard two or three times in the film and not very notable.

And I'm sorry but the AOTC bit is just embarrasing and lazy. People here always get defensive when someone says Williams's action cues all sound the same lately and could be interchangeable, yet even Williams seems to think so himself as apparently the music for two futuristic speeders chasing each other though buildings is also good enough to score a game with wizards riding broomsticks. Besides if he was going to use music from Star Wars he might as well have gone to better scores and just score the whole damn scene with "Here they come" or "The Asteroid Field", it would have made just as much sense.

Anyway, HP:COS is just that, pretty concert arrengements and some good cues, the rest is PS and AOTC rehash.

What good is a "wealth" of new themes if they are only heard in the concert arrengements?? Dobby's theme and the Chamber's theme don't appear in any other tracks in the OST, and I believe they are only heard two or three times in the film and not very notable.

And I'm sorry but the AOTC bit is just embarrasing and lazy. People here always get defensive when someone says Williams's action cues all sound the same lately and could be interchangeable, yet even Williams seems to think so himself as apparently the music for two futuristic speeders chasing each other though buildings is also good enough to score a game with wizards riding broomsticks. Besides if he was going to use music from Star Wars he might as well have gone to better scores and just score the whole damn scene with "Here they come" or "The Asteroid Field", it would have made just as much sense.

Anyway, HP:COS is just that, pretty concert arrengements and some good cues, the rest is PS and AOTC rehash.

IMHO; the AOTC part is only the ryrhtm or ostinato hear in that cue.

Nevertheless, maybe Williams gave some AOTC sketches to Ross to work-play with to try to compose that HP chase scene.

And if that is true, Ross composed 100% Williams music (even if its on autopilot) a thing that rarely happens. (I can only think of Superman IV.)

Anyway why is this little snippet so much critisized? Almost every Williams score within a 'multi-scores-year (3 or more scores)' has one or two cues that sound too much like the precious score.

Some nice, if unspectacular, concert pieces. Plus re-recording of many things for previous score. I'm not sure...

3 stars (1 star for Fawkes).

Karol - who thinks some of the cues don't sound like pure Williams.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Williams would not have personally selected Ross as a collaborator if he didn't think he knew what he was doing. Ross is an accomplished composer in his own right.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Williams would not have personally selected Ross as a collaborator if he didn't think he knew what he was doing. Ross is an accomplished composer in his own right.

:) You make me laugh.

So why DID he not compose new music then if he is so accomplished?

Fine, thats your opinion. I disagree. There are many GREAT cues in CoS... and some spectacular concert pieces.

I think the phrase "adaptation of music by John Williams from the previous films" sums it up pretty nicely. He was good enough to do it quickly and do it justice.

Karol

Because recycled music makes up at least half the score, if not more.

With me, the glass s always half full. :)

Oh yes much more embarrassing than recycling music from the first film and "copying" music from AOTC.

Yes, exactly! (sarcasm)

But seriously, whats so embarrassing about that? So JW reused 1 minute of music from AotC! No one is gonna notice that anyway except for the film music fanatics... whats embarrassing is how some make such big deal out of it!