The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

Yes, I like the way the Force theme is harmonised over its submediant (Eb), which then acts as a secondary dominant to Ab, which in turn cadences on a warm Db, the furthest chord away from Gm, but yet sounds totally satisfying. The beginning of the New Republic.

A whaaaat?

A tiger shark!

Sharkey, which part of which score is this? Can you be more specific?

I also have a quick "Star Wars" question: why are there no UEs for episodes II, and III ?

I also have a quick "Star Wars" question: why are there no UEs for episodes II, and III ?

After the backlash that Sony received from TPM UE the producers thought it was too much trouble to release UEs for either of the subsequent scores. They just didn't understand why an isolated score type of release with music as heard in the film didn't sit well with the fans and decided "screw them, they are crazy".

A few years ago, Lukas Kendall spoke in a quite candid manner what happened more or less with the Episode I UE:

that 2CD Phantom Menace was something of a fiasco...Lucasfilm only did it because the tracks had gotten out there somehow (I forget how) and thought they were giving the collectors what they wanted by using the edited stems as conformed to the movie (with a million edits). They were quite taken aback by all the negative cricitism -- "what's the problem, it's exactly every note as heard in the film?" I remember explaining to one of the executives the subtleties involved and by the time I finished the attitude I heard was along the lines of "to hell with these people."

After the backlash that Sony received from TPM UE the producers thought it was too much trouble to release UEs for either of the subsequent scores. They just didn't understand why an isolated score type of release with music as heard in the film didn't sit well with the fans and decided "screw them, they are crazy".

A few years ago, Lukas Kendall spoke in a quite candid manner what happened more or less with the Episode I UE:

that 2CD Phantom Menace was something of a fiasco...Lucasfilm only did it because the tracks had gotten out there somehow (I forget how) and thought they were giving the collectors what they wanted by using the edited stems as conformed to the movie (with a million edits). They were quite taken aback by all the negative cricitism -- "what's the problem, it's exactly every note as heard in the film?" I remember explaining to one of the executives the subtleties involved and by the time I finished the attitude I heard was along the lines of "to hell with these people."

Thanks, Incanus, that's great! Personally, I like the UE, but I know that I am in a minority, here. Still, it's better than no expanded score, at all...

But is it?

We were lied to...LIED TO!

Hell hath no fury like a film score nerd scorned!

But is it?

Were we? We were promised every note, as heard in the film, and that's what we got. I'd rather have the UE, than the single-disc.

I think the wording was a bit more misleading than that. But beggars can't be choosers so we don't have any other option but to settle for a strangely edited UE. Interestingly the feedback made the producers at Sony all sore and hurt instead taking it as constructive criticism and they never wanted to try to cater to the overly complex tastes of film music fans ever again on the subject of SW. :P

But is it?

Were we? We were promised every note, as heard in the film, and that's what we got. I'd rather have the UE, than the single-disc.

We were promised EVERY NOTE John Williams composed for the film.

The production on that album is shocking, the laziest ever. The edits are monstrous!

Apologist filth!

I have a quick(ish) "Return Of The Jedi" question:

In "TESB", Luke evades Darth Vader. This means that DV is still looking for him, right?

Meanwhile, Boba Fett has taken Han to Tattooine, to sell to Jabba The Hut.

So...knowing that Luke would come looking for Han, why didn't DV either take Han from Boba Fett (he is Darth Vader, after all) and wait for Luke to find him, or...wait on Tattooine for Luke to arrive, and ambush him there. That way, no-one would need to go to Endor, and we the audience would never have had those stupid teddy bears in our lives for the next 30-plus years?!

Another "ROTJ" question: why would the empire build another Death Star above a planet with no strategic value (apart from lots of trees) whatsoever? Why not build it nearer Corouscant?

• 3 weeks later...

Just checked - he's now 'guest2.' On the other forum I used to manage, once your account was deleted there was no going back, though I don't know hoe it works with JWFan's sofware. I've always liked Lee, despite our flairups. Hope this isn't permanent.

Night folks. A shark must sleep.

Just checked - he's now 'guest2.' On the other forum I used to manage, once your account was deleted there was no going back, though I don't know hoe it works with JWFan's sofware.

You can't delete accounts here, you can only stop posting and change your username. Or if you're crazy you can go to the length of editing every single one of your posts and replacing them with a period like that one dude did.

Just checked - he's now 'guest2.' On the other forum I used to manage, once your account was deleted there was no going back, though I don't know hoe it works with JWFan's sofware.

You can't delete accounts here, you can only stop posting and change your username. Or if you're crazy you can go to the length of editing every single one of your posts and replacing them with a period like that one dude did.

I came across that the other night. Disturbing and hilarious at once.

You can't delete accounts here, you can only stop posting and change your username.

So Quint requested a mod or admin to change his name to 'guest2'?

Quick Leblanc! Change my username to guest2!!!! Hurry!!!

Quint-Scared2.jpg

I am leaving this forum in style!

jaws-eating-quint-shark-gifs.gif

Oh Lee we barely knew you! Why did you have to go?!!!!

Oh and a quick question: Why did Lee aka Quint decide to pack his bag and head for the open sea aboard the Orca?

Man the things that happen in those threads. I have to tighten my watch!

He hated the moderators!

Figures, they are despicable bunch of tyrants!

Oh wait...

Good riddance all he did was bitch about this place being in the doldrums!

I think he had permanent PMS disorder

Maybe he's just gone to buy a box of tampons and will be back in a week or two?

What is the general consensus on the synth choir in Titanic? I really like the score but find the choir distracting, I'd like it better with a real choir. I can remember hearing Titanic when I was really and (had the OST and Back to Titanic on cassette!) thinking the choir sounded weird. Never warmed to it.

I read once that rather than separately budgeting Horner's fee and the orchestra/choir price, Horner was just paid one giant sum of money, and it was up to him to hire the choir and orchestra himself with that money. So using a fake choir instead of a real one put more money in his own pocket.

Seeing the live performance next year in London would actually be a cool way to hear the score with a real choir. They should record a rehearsal and release it!

I read once that rather than separately budgeting Horner's fee and the orchestra/choir price, Horner was just paid one giant sum of money, and it was up to him to hire the choir and orchestra himself with that money.

Isn't that general practice anyway?

They should've just stuck to the original Enya song. I like parts of Horner's score, but this part is horrible, and a real chor wouldn't improve it by much.