The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

The message boards? I've never seen such a barren wasteland anywhere else on the internet....

IMDB messageboards. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Sorry that I didn't browse hundreds of threads to possibly find out:

Is there a good open source program for editing sound files (e.g., for cutting off a section or combining several files into one)? Or what do you use for this kind of stuff? I normally don't edit (as you can tell), but I'd like to "improve" a few of my playlists now... Thanks.

Was it in an interview that Williams said he convinced Lucas to use a completely original score for Star Wars rather than an original score plus classical pieces? If so, where can I find that interview? Or is it documented somewhere else?

A quick "The Witches Of Eastwick" question:

The film version of "The Destruction Of Darryl" has some extra music in it (when Susan Sarandon falls off of the balcony). Was this actually composed by JW, because, to me, it sounds as though it was edited into the scene by someone "diong" JW, in much the same way that Morton Stevens "did" JG, in "Outland"? it sounds "almost", but not quite right.

I believe it is an alternate, perhaps an insert where the Ballroom Scene "flying" theme is used more prominently (than on the original version found on the album) when Jane falls over the upper floor railing and is saved by laughter induced levitation. Obviously this small thematic quote is used to draw a connection between the two scenes. I doubt it was composed by anyone but good ol' Johnny.

In Amazing Stories: The Mission, the "episode version" of The Landing has this extra bigger fanfare after the plane falls. It's actually not on the Intrada CD. However, McNeely recorded it just like the episode, only without the preceding part that's on the Intrada CD. When you listen to it in the show, it kinda sounds like an insert that was spliced in. That said, why would McNeely have recorded it like the insert but not included the preceding passage except to establish a weird reason to keep listening to a re-recording after the original versions have been released? Can someone ask him on Facebook since I'm too embarrassed to? What is wrong with me?

Anyone know where I'd find Daft Punk's "Giorgio by Moroder" with the music in the beginning intact, but without the vocals?

While I like Moroder's interview, I'd like to hear the music without the voice over--if it even exists.

• 2 weeks later...

I do approve the name you are thinking but alas the power over our names is held by Jason and Jason alone.

Nah, Ricard or Andreas (Root Admins) could do it too, just not Moderatos (like Inky)

• 3 weeks later...

Could anyone recommend any comedy-drama-adventure contemporary scores set mainly in Paris?

One that I thought of, is an animation score, "the Triplettes of Belleville".

But I'm not sure yet if it's along the lines I was looking for. I haven't seen the film for many years.

Is there any something similar in plot/atmosphere, in live action film?

Could anyone recommend any comedy-drama-adventure contemporary scores set mainly in Paris?

One that I thought of, is an animation score, "the Triplettes of Belleville".

But I'm not sure yet if it's along the lines I was looking for. I haven't seen the film for many years.

Is there any something similar in plot/atmosphere, in live action film?

I'd recommend the other films of Silvain Chomet.

THE ILLUSIONIST - Sylvain Chomet

THE OLD LADY AND THE PIDGEONS - Jean Conti

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to streamline my music library. Can someone give me the lowdown on the two disc releases of Rosewood, The Fury, and Jaws? Are the second discs (original albums) vital; that is, is there significant material on them that doesn't appear on the first discs? I know with Rosewood, it's mostly just the choral stuff, but not certain about the other two.

Well first of all for Jaws, there is no 2 disc set, so you might have some sort of fun made creation.

Anyways, for both Jaws and The Fury, Williams actually got a different orchestra together and recorded the entire LP program from scratch. IE, he took the sheet music from the film cues, then added, embellished, changed around, etc whatever he wanted and invented new programs that then got recorded and released as the OST. They're basically essential listens, and many find them superior to the later release of the actual film cues.

You're right, Jaws isn't 2 discs. I just forgot that I combined the original album with the Decca release. Duh.

Ok well looks like that and The Fury should stay, and I'll ditch all but the three choral songs of Rosewood's original album.

The second disc of The Fury (the album recording by the LSO) is essential. In fact it's among the most essential discs of all Williams releases. The soundtrack on disc one has some additional stuff that's worth having.

None of them were recorded at a later date, but some tracks could have been written just for the album, and recorded during the main sessions of the rest of the film cues.

Speaking of re-recorded OSTs...how much of both "The Eiger Sanction", and "Earthquake" are OST, and how much is re-recording?

IMO, "The City Sleeps" on CD sounds OST, but I'm not sure.

Both albums are re-recordings and do not include the versions of the music heard in the movie soundtrack. Although the album and original soundtrack versions of The City Sleeps (actually the end titles) from Earthquake are indeed very similar, they are different recordings - if you compare the vibraphone effect leading into the end titles on both versions, the difference is obvious. All the source music tracks represented on the album (e.g. Something for Rosa, Something for Remy, Miles' Pool Hall) are also clearly different in the film where they appear.

I would suggest however that the earthquake special effects within the Medley track on the album may well be from the film's soundtrack. You can hear the cows mooing when the cattle track swerves off the freeway, for example, as well as the screeching of the tyres. The Aftershock effects track may be too but I have never been able to place it in the movie.

The "Earthquake Effects" is the first 3 or so minutes of the main 'quake (complete with bells ringing, and cows mooing).

"Aftershock" might just be trying to demonstrate how Sensurround works on a 2.0 system (it doesn't!). Actually the "Aftershock" track might come from the bit when Genevive Bujold hangs on to a tree for dear life.

The effects in the "Medly" are all there in the film, but are not as "condensed" as the album suggests.

The effects in the "Medly" are all there in the film, but are not as "condensed" as the album suggests.

Yes. For anyone that doubts whether the album is a rerecording, compare the album version of the main title...

...and the film version:

Thanks for that, Jay. Was this the case for "Jaws"?

The Jaws album is an entirely different recording from the OST. And (I haven't listened to it in a long time) at least several cues are considerably extended compared to the original versions, notably the fugue and Promenade.