The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

It gives the score a rather specific New Age quality it would have lacked if it had used a regular choir. Which is something Horner used in many of his other scores.

Yeah, I read that he went with the snyth because a real choir would have sounded too "churchy" or something. I dunno, personally I feel it detracts from the score but whatever.

The synth choir recalls the engineering of Titanic in a way that a real choir just couldn't have.

Listen to Southampton. You can hear the ship's steam engine in the mechanical choir. The instrument sounds like a steam-driven invention from that time period, and it works effortlessly.

Horner astutely exploits the mechanical nature nature of the sound for the purposes of the ideas the music is conveying. There is nothing cheap or low-budget about it, it's a great artistic decision.

The synth choir recalls the engineering of Titanic in a way that a real choir just couldn't have.

Listen to Southampton. You can hear the ship's steam engine in the mechanical choir. The instrument sounds like a steam-driven invention from that time period, and it works effortlessly.

Horner astutely exploits the mechanical nature nature of the sound for the purposes of the ideas the music is conveying. There is nothing cheap or low-budget about it, it's a great artistic decision.

futuramafry.jpg

Nothing wrong with the ideas behind it, but the choir patch itself is like something from 1987, not '97. Intellectualise it all you want, but it just sounds like a cheap synth preset. Nothing befitting the industrial age or a top of the line Olympic-class liner.

Nothing wrong with the ideas behind it, but the choir patch itself is like something from 1987, not '97. Intellectualise it all you want, but it just sounds like a cheap synth preset. Nothing befitting the industrial age or a top of the line Olympic-class liner.

Yes, I should have stated that my problem isn't really with the idea of a synth (there's some good sounding stuff out there these days) it's just that whatever he used sounds like a General MIDI choir or something.

Your perspective validates Jerry Bruckheimer's opinion on woodwinds.

Romanticize them all you want, but they just sound like primitive tubes of wood with holes through them. Nothing befitting the incredible sophistication of the British Empire's fleet and the badass Jack Sparrow.

The Enya song is the main reason for the synth choir.

Not at all. The synth choir is a sly nod to the supreme vainglory of man and his aquatic Tower of Babel. It rings hollow because it's purposefully adumbrative.

ROTFLMAO

futuramafry.jpg

My exact reaction to Blume's post.

Anyone remember that John Williams in polo neck (or was it Jerry Goldsmith) Kenner-style action figure in a box that guy here made? Saw it once in some thread but I haven't been able to find it since.

Whatever happened to John Powell?

He gave a really frank interview to some sampler site, and since then he's vanished.

Did you completely miss the fact that he's scoring Rio 2 (OST was released yesterday, and is already on Spotify) and How To Train Your Dragon 2 (film opens June 13) this year?

Or are you asking where he's been since scoring The Lorax and Ice Age 4 until now?

Does this help?

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16073&p=917146

Link?

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16073&page=11entry894600

He did a Q&A recently with Sergio Mendez for Rio 2. Said he was on shrooms during part of the scoring process for the first film. Guess his answer for what is his inspiration in that interview wasn't a joke ;)

Now that he's back I'm hoping Junkie XL will get rejected on Fury Road. Really don't think he'll ever do a live action film again. His last one was 4 years ago.

I see there was a Horner instruments discussion some posts earlier. I have another one.

What is this wind instrument at 5.50''?

I always confuse these.

Is it a celtic/irish flute? irish low whistle?