The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

The Jaws LP is a 100% rerecording made after the main sessions of the actual film cues. The 2000 release of the original film cues on Decca was a 100% previously unreleased CD, even though for some reason Decca used the */** system in the back cover.

Also, I heard that some cues in the film recordings had some podium changes (dropped instruments etc).

I got in to Mothersbaugh through his work with Wes Anderson, but I'll never forget discovering his Rugrats work. It must have been sometime in high school, I was half-awake in a daze at like 3am, surfing for something on TV, and I landed on Rugrats. I hadn't watched it since I was a kid and when the Music by Mark Mothersbaugh card popped up I was like "uuhhhhhwhaaaaa."

That's pretty much what's happening to me now. I used to watch it when it was first on in the early 90s (yeah, I know, I was a bit older than their target audience), but I've just started again due to the younglings and I'm amazed at how good it is - not just the music, but the whole show - and how much of it I remember.

I was the target age in the mid 90s but I never liked the show, just didn't click for me. That said, I got into Mothersbaugh many years later through Devo (Devo > Oingo Boingo) and Wes Anderson, but now I can appreciate the quality of his Rugrats underscore. Not quite up there with what Alf Clausen did for The Simpsons, but still, fun stuff.

BTW, thought I'd post this.

Has Mark Mothersbaugh's work for Rugrats ever seen any kind of release? Because holy shit it needs to.

Looks like the movie had a score release (with an arrangement of the Raiders March, funnily enough): http://www.allmusic.com/album/rugrats-original-score-mw0000671707

Couldn't find anything from the TV show, but here's a lengthy article about his work: http://splitsider.com/2012/03/mark-mothersbaugh-on-rugrats/

Is there any music which is not on each of the three "LOTR" box-sets?

Yes, lots. How have you missed all that discussion over the last 9 years?

Start here:

Yep. Here are Jim Ware's breakdowns of each LOTR OST/CR :

On 7/16/2014 at 5:51 PM, Richard said:

Hmm. Thanks. I guess my next question is...why are they called "complete"..?

Apropros of nothing in particular, is there a version of JB's score for "Boy And Bicycle" available on CD?

It's just a marketing thing.

The LOTR Complete Recordings are - ESSENTIALLY - the complete score AS HEARD IN THE FILM, with exceptions (ie, Shore trims a few bars here or there, or Shore restores music that was dropped from the film, or Shore replaces a film version of something with a preferred alternate, etc). So what they DON'T include is all of the many many alternates cues that were recorded. Of those alternate versions, many are available on the original OSTs that came out at the time of the films' releases, many are available in the free "Rarities Archive" CD that came with Doug's book, and many other remain unreleased to this day.

Does that answer your questions?

I haven't listened to the OST albums in ages, but I really should throw them on soon. I always forget that there's quite a difference in some cues/performances.

And of course,the Mordor music during the "But he was destroyed" bit, and a bit of Ent music in the EE scene right before Shadowfax's appearance is not on the CR.

My answer is "no, and if there is, it's incredibly unnecessary".

If by unnecessary, you mean, "I can live with film edit loops, whole chunks of score being edited out/replaced by music from other cues, instruments and choir dialed out, and themes having cues start halfway through the first phrase of a statement of a theme." then you are absolutely right.

More info here: http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23818

I only meant that the CR's represent such a monumentally complete and satisfying musical journey that it's likely one could, in general, be content to leave all the miscellany/discrepancies in the scores as heard in the films.

The Complete Recordings are the versions of the complete scores Shore wanted to release and they are quite brilliant. Some people quibble about the name of the set but complete recordings or score, makes little difference to me at this point. A couple of odd mixing moments aside I have no problems with them. That said there is a good deal (a couple of hours at least) of alternate material to be found on the OST albums and the Rarities Archive and other sources, among them some truly excellent stuff. But it requires some time and patience to compile everything from these diverse sources.

Oh and according to Doug Adams all the 3 LotR score sessions together yielded over a month of continuous audio (every take of every cue) and I am sure some fans would be only satisfied with that but I am quite happy with the materials I have got at the moment (from all the diverse sources). CRs are by far the most listened to version of this music I have.

Both are worth owning, like The Fury, Jaws, Capricorn One, etc.

But given the choice, most people will say the FSM AINEC.

Does the Indiana Jones blu-ray boxset (predominately) feature the CGI untouched original version, or is the CG truck going over the cliff still in Raiders?

That shot you are talking about aired once on a single HD broadcast and was never seen again. Never been released on any form of home video.

There is a small cue from the melody of the main title of Jack Brooks Monster Slayer is SO familiar. (track one, 1:03-1:25)

Anyone else notice?

Is this melody used in others film?

The melody just keep repeating in my mind and driving me mad......

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...