The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

Is Enders Game any good? It looks like a kids film, is it? It's on Netflix.

No it is not that good. I wasted nearly 2 perfectly good hours on it.

Any good Hitchcock film albums/scores on Spotify?

I don't have Spotify, but I was wondering in a similar vein, what would be considered the "essential" Bernard Herrmann scores?

The Hitchocks (Vertigo + Psycho being the standouts)

FAHRENHEIT 451

CAPE FEAR

DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL

JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF EARTH

7TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD

BENEATH THE 12 MILE REEF

• 1 month later...

Any good Hitchcock film albums/scores on Spotify?

I don't have Spotify, but I was wondering in a similar vein, what would be considered the "essential" Bernard Herrmann scores?

The Hitchocks (Vertigo + Psycho being the standouts)

FAHRENHEIT 451

CAPE FEAR

DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL

JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF EARTH

7TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD

BENEATH THE 12 MILE REEF

Thanks! Just listened to Vertigo - damn!

Anyway, does anybody know of a reference chart for cor anglais multiphonic fingerings?

• 2 weeks later...

Aren't those just a bit distorted woodwinds, oboe and clarinet perhaps?

If it helps, it seems to be part of Goodbye Old Friend (not in any of the games or anything)

If it helps, it seems to be part of Goodbye Old Friend (not in any of the games or anything)

2 oboes, cor anglais and three clarinets, and someone trying to sing along in their register.

• 1 month later...

Same thing as in Dennis Steals The Embryo which Williams notates as "synth boo bams." It's one of those classic 80s keyboard synth sounds no doubt, but which, I'm not sure. It's a little bit like the low register of the DX7 marimba. Maybe an Akai thing.

Hmm... That Nixon sample sounds like an African pitched percussion instrument.

Possibly a large kalimba (I can distinctly hear a slight "twanging" after the attack and during the sustain of each note).

You can't. The board automatically combines posts from the same user made twice in a row, if they are less than two hours apart.

You can't. The board automatically combines posts from the same user made twice in a row, if they are less than two hours apart.

Alright, thanks!

Anyone else think Zimmer's theme for Jack Sparrow bears an uncannily similarity to the opening measures of Mozart's Requiem in d-moll?

The orchestration is very much alike and the first three chords appear to be identical to me.

Both are in d minor and have that bum-BUM quality. There, the similarity ends. Jack's theme ain't plodding and funereal, and there's a hell of a lot more low brass there than Mozart would have dreamt of. And I hear no parallels in harmony past the first tonic.

I suggest you try listening in a higher bitrate then.

I suggest you come up with better arguments, which "a hell of a lot more low brass" isn't - Zimmer could have impossibly retained Mozart's refined and elegant orchestration for a film like Pirates of the Caribbbean.

;)

64 kbps ought to be enough for anybody.

I have amazing, incredible, uncanny hearing abilities, and I say you are wrong.

I suggest you come up with better arguments, which "a hell of a lot more low brass" isn't - Zimmer could have impossibly retained Mozart's refined and elegant orchestration for a film like Pirates of the Caribbbean.

;)

But... but you said "the orchestration is very much alike." You're sending mixed signals here. Please, try to come up with better arguments.

64 kbps ought to be enough for anybody.

I have amazing, incredible, uncanny hearing abilities, and I say you are wrong.

It was a throwaway reference, never mind.

Oh I know, so was what I said....

:(

Ah, my bad, you might have to catch me up on that one.

I was just poking fun at the number of people in another thread who felt the need to remark on how excellent their hearing abilities are. It was risky to go for such a current reference, I know. Can't win them all.

Very much alike might have been an overstatement, but it's quite clear, as in, the low strings play on the downbeat and higher strings on the upbeat. It's interesting to note as well that not all statements of this phrase of Jack's theme feature the brass section - e.g. the first statement in the series, near the end of Curse of the Black Pearl's 1M6 Captain Jack Sparrow, does not.

Very much alike might have been an overstatement, but it's quite clear, as in, the low strings play on the downbeat and higher strings on the upbeat. It's interesting to note as well that not all statements of this phrase of Jack's theme feature the brass section - e.g. the first statement in the series, near the end of Curse of the Black Pearl's 1M6 Captain Jack Sparrow, does not.

Shall we compile an exhaustive catalogue of every instance of low strings playing on a downbeat followed by higher strings on the upbeat?

Shall we compile an exhaustive catalogue of every instance of low strings playing on a downbeat followed by higher strings on the upbeat?

Sure, but that would be rather an exhilirating task. I propose we compile an exhaustive catalogue of every instance that happens within the tonality of D-minor with the very same set of chords.

Sure, but that would be rather an exhilirating task. I propose we compile an exhaustive catalogue of every instance that happens within the tonality of D-minor with the very same set of chords.

The same chords that appear in the Mozart? So, Jack's theme wouldn't be featured in that catalogue?

The same chords that appear in the Mozart? So, Jack's theme wouldn't be featured in that catalogue?

I referenced the first three chords earlier, which are clearly similar, if not exactly the same. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

A phrase of Jack's theme? I don't think so. Just a transition or piece of underscore.

It's used quite a lot, actually, so I do think it's part of Jack's thematic material..

I don't know the scores in their complete film versions.

Christ I wish I realized you were talking about that specific moment so I could have just not even commented and spared this thread all of these posts.

Well, I assumed it would be quite clear, anyway, because of the downright resemblance.

This could keep going on forever, and whilst discussing things endlessly is a great form of occupational therapy, I'm sure you've better things to do :lol: .

I smell blatant plagiarism.

Wouldn't be the first time, there's plenty of Ave Verum in The Lion King.

I'd think that Zimmer is a Mozart fan... but then he raped Don Giovanni for his second Sherlock Holmes score...