The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

He mentioned rather cheekily changing the chords for Hedwig's Theme from the original Williams arrangements when he did Goblet Of Fire when he was asked about it in Ubeda years ago. Thats all I ever heard.

But was the story of Williams muscling out Doyle nothing but a rumor? As I understand it Doyle was undergoing treatment for cancer at that time and was unable to score that film.

But was the story of Williams muscling out Doyle nothing but a rumor? As I understand it Doyle was undergoing treatment for cancer at that time and was unable to score that film.

"Doyle was recovering from leukemia when he scored this film about a woman dying of cancer and they still threw out his music, claiming he wasn't available to make changes. Isn't that what music editors are for?"

(http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/articles/2002/25_Apr---Missing_Rejected.asp)

"Doyle was recovering from leukemia when he scored this film about a woman dying of cancer and they still threw out his music, claiming he wasn't available to make changes. Isn't that what music editors are for?"

(http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/articles/2002/25_Apr---Missing_Rejected.asp)

Doesn't mean Williams actively pushed him out though.

Yeah. If Williams agreed to score the film when Columbus (or studio) approached him, it doesn't mean he elbowed Doyle out of the project. Sounds like the usual studio politics to me.

What was that picture that (I think) Michael used to have as his avatar of John and Jerry against the Looney Tunes background? And what was it from? That was hilarious.

• 3 weeks later...

Is this the only footage we have of Williams playing a bit of underscore he might have wrote some minutes earlier at the piano and writing it down?

11:00

One of the rare instances surely. I remember he previewed some of his music for The Patriot (the piccolo flute bridge material in the Patriot end credits suite) some TV channel in 2000 as they wanted to hear a snippet of the new music (the writer described it as claxon of panicked geese if I remember correctly).

Also there is the wonderful BBC 1980 ESB documentary where JW goes through the sketches with Herb Spencer.

Erm, you can read up through the posts discussing the most recent episode you saw, and not read past that....

Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't that obvious?

Yea, you don't want to read any posts in that thread about episodes you haven't seen yet.

But we begin discussing Season 2 towards the bottom of page 8, and you could simply stop reading when you see the first post about the first episode you haven't seen (IE don't read my Jul 22nd post on page 10 and beyond in your case).

Or just binge watch the last 4 then join us! :P

Why didn't John Williams write something "bigger" for Obama's inauguration? It was a pretty historic occasion and probably warranted more than a (to be fair, really good) arrangement of Appalachian Spring. Was he crunched for time? Was an arrangement of that piece requested specifically?

All of this while Dookakas gets his own fanfare. Speaking of that, is there anywhere I can listen to that fanfare?

If I remember correctly the choice of Simple Gifts was because Williams knew Obama to be a big fan of Appalachian Spring (the tune of Simple Gifts itself is a 19th century folk tune) and Copland but I don't think the reasons behind the intimate quartet setting of the piece were ever discussed. I would surmise that Williams wanted to create something more unexpected than the usual fanfaric material he is called upon to provide at these national events.

If I remember correctly the choice of Simple Gifts was because Williams knew Obama to be a big fan of Appalachian Spring (the tune of Simple Gifts itself is a 19th century folk tune) and Copland but I don't think the reasons behind the intimate quartet setting of the piece were ever discussed. I would surmise that Williams wanted to create something more unexpected than the usual fanfaric material he is called upon to provide at these national events.

Worth to mention that this pieces required four players.

An asian, a jew, a latino and a black... all playing togheter! :)

For the symbolic, it was hard to make better!

John Williams, the Genius.

It is but for some reason people keep using it to prove "the folly of Williams!!!!!!1".

But who are these people you're referring to? Film music fans, or random people on the Internet who don't know shit about film music and just mention Poledouris' Conan because it's one of the few scores they've heard about?

I shouldn't let it bother me but it just does.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anybody here link to the thread that explains the process of username changing? There's no period after the "Mr" in my name and it's been bothering me for years.

I don't know for english, but in french, if the abbreviation actually ends with the last letter of the complete word... well it don't need a period.

Ex. "N°" or "No" in french doesn't need a period at the end, because the "o" is the last letter of "Numéro".

EDIT : "Mr" is the correct way to write the abbreviation in the UK, that's perfectly logical and correct.

For the history buffs in this forum, what was the real story about Stravinsky's estate suing JW for Star Wars? Is this a rumor or was it true and what was the outcome? Also, what was the cause of the issue? Was this a matter of being asked to "follow" the temp too much?

The early Tatooine music is very obviously Stravinskian, probably because of Lucas/the temp, yeah. I've never heard of the lawsuit or whatever being more than an urban legend. But if it's true it's just as silly as the Holst/Zimmer business.

• 3 weeks later...

what instruments are playing across the stars at 0:28?

Horns and clarinets are playing the Across the stars theme.

I hear a horn and a clarinet an octave above. The sound effects are mucking it up a bit so it might be horn + a clarinet doubling it and another clarinet an octave above. It doesn't sound like a bass clarinet. A high bass clarinet is a pretty noticeable sound.