The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

I'll be more specific. For example, who arranged "Sleigh Ride" from 'Special Days: A Christmas Festival' or "In the Mood" from 'Swing Swing Swing'? Who actually put those score together?

I guess the real question is, where can I find more information about who arranged which pieces. ;)

I'll be more specific. For example, who arranged "Sleigh Ride" from 'Special Days: A Christmas Festival' or "In the Mood" from 'Swing Swing Swing'? Who actually put those score together?

I guess the real question is, where can I find more information about who arranged which pieces. ;)

Buy the albums and read the liner notes?

I buy albums digitally or I stream on Qobuz. And none of those options give a straightforward description of who arranged which piece.

Thankfully though I've just discovered that jw-collection.de have a listing of many of John's Boston Pops albums which include details of the arranger for each track.

And I've just discovered that Sleigh Ride is in fact an original composition by Leroy Anderson. I thought it was an arrangement of the vocal version, which I thought came first. :blink:

As I said, noobish question! :)

• 2 weeks later...

If I listen to an uncompressed audio file with headphones on my mac and then the exact same file on an iphone with the same headphones, technically, should it sound exactly the same? Or does the quality change simply because the electronics of the two devices are not exactly the same? This is very picky stuff because I am mastering and I am trying to determine if an offensive frequency while listening is more of a placebo because they actually are identical.

Maintaining things in lossless or uncompressed only keeps the original digital file from being altered. Once you "switch" from digital to analog - IE, play through speakers or headphones, every single device on the planet will sound different from one another. That's just the way it is.

Maintaining things in lossless or uncompressed only keeps the original digital file from being altered. Once you "switch" from digital to analog - IE, play through speakers or headphones, every single device on the planet will sound different from one another. That's just the way it is.

Cheers

I recently watched one of my favorite movies, Fire in the Sky. The end titles credit one piece of music to Franz Waxman, "A Message of Murder". Google search doesn't turn up anything. Does anyone know what this is from?

What is the sound at the end of this clip when Yoda and Samuel L. Jackson look at each other? Is that a part of the score or a sound effect? I don't hear it on the OST. It almost sounds like some kind of flute or maybe a synthesizer or something? Am I full of shit?

(on a side note, the CGI Yoda looks horribly out of place and Frank Oz voiced him like Grover)

There's only one version.

I mean, there's the children's suite version (which was used on the OST), and then the film version (which we finally got in the sessions leak).

Of course, in the actual film, the cue was replaced by the great hall entry music instead of using the intended film version.

I'd love to hear a mockup! It looks like the quartal/suspended fun in bars 1-3 lasts a little longer in the insert, with lots of whirling woodwind and string writing.

There's only one version.

I mean, there's the children's suite version (which was used on the OST), and then the film version (which we finally got in the sessions leak).

Of course, in the actual film, the cue was replaced by the great hall entry music instead of using the intended film version.

Johnny spliced the opening of the concert suite version together with the ending of the actual film cue for the OST. The film version is a bit more up-tempo with the recorder part.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes! Great little cue. I'd say it's probably written by Haab. Sounds like an older recording than the rest of the score, though - wasn't there quite a bit of music recycled from some sort of fanfic short film?