The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

How much unreleased music is there from The Prisoner of Azkaban? Are there any major highlights besides the Buckbeak Finale and Peter Pattigrew's theme? Does it form a more cohesive narrative like the A.I complete score does?

Including alternates, about an hour I think

Yes

Yes

Interesting. I honestly wish they would just skip 1 & 2, going straight to PoA.

The round up scene where they are catching all the dinosaurs

It was replaced by bits of the theme concert arrangement tracked in

Thanks. I haven't seen the film in many, many, many years. I don't remember much except for the trailer of the cliff scene, the T-Rex in the city and the little girl who should have made the team.

Anybody here know of a good FLAC ripper? I've been using Windows Media Player up until now but it only does WAV and MP3s.

I use Exact Audio Copy to rip WAV files, and then use iTunes to convert them to Apple Lossless.

Anybody here know of a good FLAC ripper? I've been using Windows Media Player up until now but it only does WAV and MP3s.

I use Exact Audio Copy to rip WAV files, and then use iTunes to convert them to Apple Lossless.

After encoding with EAC, you can use Pazera to turn WAV into FLAC, or into whatever you want.

Me too I use iTunes, but to make 256 VBR mp3.

What is your favorite performance/recording of Gustav Holst's masterpiece, "The Planets"? I differentiate performance and recording because maybe you heard a live performance that was not recorded.

What is your favorite performance/recording of Gustav Holst's masterpiece, "The Planets"? I differentiate performance and recording because maybe you heard a live performance that was not recorded.

I Just discovered this work with John Williams (his version is recommended by arkivmusic.com and Gramophone, not that bad!), but if I had other versions to try next, it would be the one by Charles Dutoit and the one by Karajan (1961) :

12073.jpg

985837.jpg

Previn with the RPO, Rattle with the BPO. Groves with the RPO is *particularly* exceptional. That's probably my favorite.

There's also an interesting organ arrangement by Peter Sykes. And of course the original two piano version has had some neat recordings.

I Just discovered this work with John Williams (his version is recommended by arkivmusic.com and Gramophone, not that bad!), but if I had other versions to buy next, it would be the one by Seiji Ozawa and the one by Charles Dutoit:

146669.jpg

12073.jpg

Well played sir. You know your planets. These two recordings are arguably the finest around. I would choose Dutoit/Montreal as my desert island version though it isn't perfect.

Well played sir. You know your planets. These two recordings are arguably the finest around. I would choose Dutoit/Montreal as my desert island version though it isn't perfect.

Oops, sorry, just changed Ozawa by Karajan in my last edit ;)

Well, if I can pick three choices ;-)

Oops, sorry, just changed Ozawa by Karajan in my last edit ;)

Well, if I can pick three choices ;-)

AHAHAHAHAH - that was a mistake! Change it back! lol. Ok, you get 3.

Dutoit and Karajan's second version (with the Berlin Philharmonic; the VPO plays really dirty in some parts of his first recording).

I was hesitating between the two versions, by thinking it twice, maybe 1961 is too "aged" for my tastes. Will try to find the 1981 recording.

Here in Québec, a great music lover named Edgar Fruitier recommends the version by Stokowski/LA Philh. O.

1956 that's not very recent ;)

12100.jpg

Dutoit and Karajan's second version (with the Berlin Philharmonic; the VPO plays really dirty in some parts of his first recording).

Today I listened to Dutoit and Karajan 1981 versions... and I have a preference for the Karajan sound :)

12073.jpg

That one. Dutiot/Montréal.

Today I listened to Dutoit and Karajan 1981 versions... and I have a preference for the Karajan sound :)

They're both different enough that I don't feel like having to choose one above the other.

Herrmann's recording is also really good.

Like I said, Groves/RPO is my favorite, and although it has its weaknesses and others have their merits, I've never heard a better Neptune and doubt I ever will.

How about this one by what's his name?

1452247.jpg

:up:

Will try to get the hand on the Paavo Jarvi and Yoel Levi versions this week-end, it seems they are the "new" thing ;-)

front.jpg

MI0001000381.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Just download the 1080p rip floating around and save your cash for the eventual blu. Support physical media not lossy downloads!

Gerhardt, Mehta, Kunzel, Kojian and Williams/Boston Pops

The best in my opinion by other dudes, off the top of my head:

Charles Gerhardt - Classic Film Scores: Star Wars/Close Encounters

Zubin Mehta - Cinema Gala: Star Wars/Close Encounters
Charles Gerhardt - The Empire Strikes Back
Charles Gerhardt -Return of the Jedi

Varujan Kojian - Star Wars Trilogy

Erich Kunzel - Star Tracks/Star Tracks II

These have been classic staples of my collection since I was a kid with competent and occasionally superior versions of classic Williams music. It's difficult to nail the Williams sound, but these do it.

What Williams re-recordings and compilations are the must haves?

Talking about John Williams conducting himself, these re-recordings are must have:

- Williams: The Music of America (Compilation)

- Williams: By Request (BPO) (Compilation)

- Williams: The Hollywood Sound (LSO)

- Williams: The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration (BPO)

Then, there are the JW interprets.

I think the three Gerhardt are a good start. Each JW's fan must have these CD in their collection:

- Gerhardt: John Williams - Classic Film Scores

- Gerhardt:The Empire Strikes Back

- Gerhardt: Return of The Jedi

If you don't have a Star Wars overdose yet, these two are also a must:

- Kojian: The Star Wars Trilogy

- Mehta: Star Wars - Cinema Gala

Kunzel is also a great John Williams interpret, these are perhaps the two ones to begin with:

- Kunzel: Star Tracks

- Kunzel: Great Film Fantasies

Then, I recently came across this very interresting compilation, mixing tracks conducted by John Williams an others, it's a kind of "Varèse Sarabande" sampler, if like me, you are a newcomer with their JW catalog:

- Various: Great Composers (1999, Varèse Sarabande) (Compilation)

4104HK3TXHL.jpg

Well, you have to get Star Tracks II. So many great versions on there, including Star Trek TMP, Wrath of Khan, Voyage Home, SpaceCamp (these last two are superior to the film versions), Cocoon and Back to the Future. That was one of my introductory film score CDs.

The versions of The Bicycle Chase and The Departure from E.T. on Star Tracks are amazing. The oboe (or clarinet?) playing E.T.'s theme in the underrated original version of The Departure around 2:45 is one of my favorite Williams moments on the Kunzel version.

Is the film version of "Yub Nub" with the ROTJ suite (not the ESB one, which inexplicably shows up on the only good recording of it on the anthology set) available on any of the albums?

Also, does Patrick Doyle have a grudge against Williams for the '98 Stepmom debacle?