The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

The bootlegs contain a concert arrangement of the memory theme, and that's the only one we know was recorded with the rest of the orchestra at the Hook sessions. Beyond that, there is only the ones on this CD:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000002C0F/

Quick question regarding FLAC. FLAC Frontend does not seem to work at all in Windows 7. Does anyone have a recommendation to get it to work? I have installed foobar 2000 but have not used it. I found it easier to just reboot into XP and use FLAC Frontend there. I have not used the FLAC processing in FormatFactory much to know if I trust it as much as FLAC Frontend.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

The bootlegs contain a concert arrangement of the memory theme, and that's the only one we know was recorded with the rest of the orchestra at the Hook sessions. Beyond that, there is only the ones on this CD:

Ooh. I've got get this CD. I imagine the Flight to Neverland track is the same as the one in Greatest Hits?

And thanks!

Ooh. I've got get this CD. I imagine the Flight to Neverland track is the same as the one in Greatest Hits?

And thanks!

Yes it is the same as on the Greatest Hits. Most of that compilation is a collection of music taken from other JW/Boston Pop compilations recorded for Sony Classical label.

Quick question regarding FLAC. FLAC Frontend does not seem to work at all in Windows 7. Does anyone have a recommendation to get it to work? I have installed foobar 2000 but have not used it. I found it easier to just reboot into XP and use FLAC Frontend there. I have not used the FLAC processing in FormatFactory much to know if I trust it as much as FLAC Frontend.

It took me a while to figure out how to get it to work on Windows 7 as well. Turns out all you have to do is uncheck "tag files" and "replaygain" and voila! It works!

It took me a while to figure out how to get it to work on Windows 7 as well. Turns out all you have to do is uncheck "tag files" and "replaygain" and voila! It works!

I left out one piece of information. Are you running 32 or 64 bit Windows 7?

I am running 64 bit 7, and it does not work. I just tried it, and got an error message box:

Run-time error '75':

Path/File access error

Hitting 'OK' closes both the error and FLAC Frontend itself.

I give up. It is not a terrible inconvenience to reboot into 32-bit XP. I have kept that operating system installed for a few reasons. It wasn't long ago that I bought XP in the first place to replace my long-outdated college copy, so discarding it now wouldn't make sense. Its search function seems to make better sense than that of 7. It only takes up 100 GB of a 3.128 TB hard drive system (with 2.75 additional TB external storage), and the selection screen will default to 7 anyways if I let it boot.

The most important reason is that the hacked drivers for my long-out-of-support 3dfx gamepad will not support a 64 bit OS, so I need to keep XP to be able to play games like Super Meat Boy and the Arkham games using it. It is a matter of principle and pride that I not discard it in favor of a X360 controller until it actually breaks.

Thanks anyways. I might have to learn foobar. Fubar.

I am running 64 bit WIndows 7. Dunno why FLAC Frontend isn't working for you - works great for me! It frustrated me to no end at first, but once I unchecked those boxes and it worked like normal, everything's been great.

I'll try it again when I fire up my desktop, with 64x 7 Pro. I'm on my laptop, which has 64x 7 Home, where it doesn't work. Thanks. Give yourself a gold star for the effort.

I am running 64 bit 7, and it does not work. I just tried it, and got an error message box:

Run-time error '75':

Path/File access error

I'm on Windows 7 (32 bit) and got the same error when trying to encode.

I found this, which fixed it: http://flac.sourcefo...ools__runtime75

Depending on how FLAC Frontend is installed, it could be one of two things: 1) you are trying to encode to file to a directory where you do not have write permission; 2) the FLAC Frontend program must be set to run as Administrator by opening Windows Explorer, navigating to C:\Program Files\FLAC (or wherever FLAC was installed), then right-clicking on FLAC Frontend.exe and checking "Run this program as an administrator".

It's bizarre. Both Jacob and Jay's (earliest) advice helped, but it's still not a good solution.

I had to right click on that executable to force it to always run as an administrator, and then by unclicking Verify, Add Tags, and Replay Gain, it will convert wav to flac.

However, for some reason, it loses its ability to receive a file via drag drop. I had to click "add file" to add a single file, which did convert to flac. But I tend to search across an entire folder structure to convert hundreds of WAV files to FLAC all at once, just like LameDrop. The other night, I converted 3000 WAV files, which was a rather small amount. I would not use "add file" to manually load each individual subfolder. Fortunately, it keeps the FLAC in the folder of the original WAV files, where the MP3 files are, or it would be chaos.

XP is still the best way for me.

Yesterday, I attended a film music concert performed by Slovenian RTV Symphony Orchestra. In the first part of the concert they played a selection of classical compositions used in the movies. One of those was Massenet's Meditation (from opera Thais) for solo violin and orchestra, which they claimed to have been used in Titanic. However, although I know both Meditation and Titanic very well, I don't remember hearing this music in the movie, so can please anybody help me, where (if at all?) in the film does it appear? :blink: I checked the soundtracks section of Titanic's IMDb entry and it doesn't appear there, nor is it featured on e.g. Back to Titanic sountrack.

Hi, anyone know a good "editing guide" for a complete Fellowship of the Ring? I know it must be posted here somewhere but I don't know where. I'm particularly interested in all the different alternates/album versions. I've been relly enjoying doing this stuff lately.

Hi, anyone know a good "editing guide" for a complete Fellowship of the Ring? I know it must be posted here somewhere but I don't know where. I'm particularly interested in all the different alternates/album versions. I've been relly enjoying doing this stuff lately.

Look in the official LOTR thread.

So where should I place my cuts?

1941 March (No Cannons)

Disc 2 Track 1 - The March From "1941" (:00-:27)

Disc 1 Track 29 - End Credits (2:32-End)

Look in the official LOTR thread.

:lol2: I'm sure that helped Chaac a lot, Faleel.

Well the last few posts have mine and Incanus's musings on what OST tracks to keep as Alternates.

Well the last few posts have mine and Incanus's musings on what OST tracks to keep as Alternates.

You lie!

*Laughs and dies*.

Thanks for the breakdown. I've skimmed a bit through the thread and there's useful stuff as well.

And there are also the music from the EE DVDs menus (but I don't think anyone listed the alternates included in those. I know someone (LeBlanc, I think) mentioned that there is the short fanfare from the theatrical version of The Tower Of Cirith Ungol in ROTK DVD menus, when Sam kicks the Uruks' asses and goes to the top of the tower.)

There also is some short snippets that could be ripped in monostereo from the Music featurettes or ripped from Battle for Middle Earth.

• 3 weeks later...

Memoirs of a Geisha related.

Is all the music from the performance scenes are composed by Williams? Or is it some kind of source music. I know he composed Brush on Silk so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for him to do those as well.

Karol

Thanks for the breakdown. I've skimmed a bit through the thread and there's useful stuff as well.

And there are also the music from the EE DVDs menus (but I don't think anyone listed the alternates included in those. I know someone (LeBlanc, I think) mentioned that there is the short fanfare from the theatrical version of The Tower Of Cirith Ungol in ROTK DVD menus, when Sam kicks the Uruks' asses and goes to the top of the tower.)

There also is some short snippets that could be ripped in monostereo from the Music featurettes and Battle for Middle Earth.

What the hell is monostereo?

And any ideas where the cirith ungol fanfare is on the RotK DVD - is it the EE? I'd love to rip that in better quality than BFME.

*goes off to have a look at the chapter menu*

There also is some short snippets that could be ripped in monostereo from the Music featurettes and Battle for Middle Earth.

What the hell is monostereo?

What do you think it is.

Anyone know where to get the 2008 Indiana Jones jewel case versions online (the billionth time this has been brought up)? I found Skull in one of those oddly sexy super jewel cases.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine made a strange claim, he said that WAV was not truly lossless!

Him: "The only way to get it to work on media players is to convert it to something other than Flac. Converting to mp3/wav whatever you want except flac works without a problem. Thing is...its no longer lossless"

Me: "

Converting to Wav...works without a problem. Thing is...its no longer lossless

I thought WAV was lossless..... just without the advanced compression of FLAC...."

Him: "Unless you use Audiophile gear you wont likely hear much of a difference between Mp3 320kbps, Wav and Flac with low compression. Unfortunately, 320kb and Wav sound like crap through my gear. I've had this issue before with bad flac files but once converted back to flac again with another converter they always work. This time the all the files retain their errors and don't play and freezes up my Cowan J3 mp3 player.

I have no idea what to do, I am very sad that I cant get lossless working right. Works fine on my PC, doesn't work on any portable media players."

Is Harry Gregson-Williams filed alphabetically under G or W?

Is James Newton Howard file alphabetically under N or H?