The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

I think that in the case of classical music, I may have to use the Artist, Album Artist, and Composer fields backwards by intentional design.

For instance, Disney's Fantasia, by all rights a film score, but also a decent cross-section sampler of classical music. Leopold Stokowski conducted the Philadelphia Orchestra, sure, but I wouldn't make him the artist. I'm more interested to see who wrote each particular piece, Beethoven, Bach, Stravinksy, et al, since the rest of my classical music collection is sorted with the composer as the artist, since it's way too much work to add all that info, if I can even determine it, to the tags, and I rarely have more than one or two clip of each piece (except the common ones, like LVB #5 or PYT 1812). So in this case, the "Artist" tag would be the composer, and the "Composer" tag would be the conductor. Maybe the Album Artist would be Stokowski, but I have no other Stokowski that I know of.

Now I can see it being relevant for albums like soundtrack re-recordings, of which I have many. Gerhardt's Star Wars Trilogy, Gerhardt's Casablanca, the Utah Symphony's Star Wars, Tadlow's El Cid and Exodus, and Morgan Stromberg's King Kong, Sea Hawk/Deception, Robin Hood, and Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Even Alien (which I don't own yet) was not conducted by Goldsmith. I believe that I've been setting the original composer the Artist, and the re-recording team as the Composer. I think it all boils down to what do I think is most interesting when I press play.

For re-recordings I just put the original composer's name in the artist field.

As I mentioned before, one of these days I might sit down and redo it by fixing the album artist field.

Now I can see it being relevant for albums like soundtrack re-recordings, of which I have many. Gerhardt's Star Wars Trilogy, Gerhardt's Casablanca, the Utah Symphony's Star Wars, Tadlow's El Cid and Exodus, and Morgan Stromberg's King Kong, Sea Hawk/Deception, Robin Hood, and Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Even Alien (which I don't own yet) was not conducted by Goldsmith. I believe that I've been setting the original composer the Artist, and the re-recording team as the Composer. I think it all boils down to what do I think is most interesting when I press play.

for rerecordings I put the rerecording conductor in parentheses in the Album field, e.g. Superman: The Movie (John Debney Re-recording), original composer in the Artist field and conductor and orchestra in the Lyrics field (so I can see the info on my iPod, because the album text doesn't scroll in the Now Playing screen.)

Now Lyrics is a tag I never thought to use. I have been adding info like this to a blend of Composer and Comments tag, like the date a specific concert occurred on, though I don't think Comments show up on an iPod.

Now I just need to find a way to transfer information from one tag value to another, say from Comments to Lyrics. MP3tag works much like an Excel spreadsheet, but I don't know how to do mass changes without going out to the filename and back into the tag, or export to a text file, adjust the columns, and re-import.

I use Tagscanner (freeware) to do just about everything I need to do with ID3 tags. the Comments field does not show up in the iPod, but the Lyrics does (press center button in the Now Playing screen a few times, it will appear after the Shuffle Options tab)

...Morgan Stromberg's King Kong, Sea Hawk/Deception, Robin Hood, and Treasure of the Sierra Madre...

No, Charlie, I'm the...how would you English put it...idiot.

I subconsciously combined John Morgan and William Stromberg into one person.

I do as well. I'm a big fan of Kunzel in particular, since his recordings introduced me to a lot of great non-Williams scores.

I have Gerhardt and Kunzel as artist.

I can see value in this, because when you have so many versions of Star Wars music on an iPod, this would make it quicker to identify which performance you were listening to. If you have to ask yourself "is this John Williams" at this point...

I have Gerhardt and Kunzel as artist.

I can see value in this, because when you have so many versions of Star Wars music on an iPod, this would make it quicker to identify which performance you were listening to. If you have to ask yourself "is this John Williams" at this point...

Especially when the majority of Gerhardt's albums are called "The Classic Film Scores of..."

How come Princess and the Frog gets a CD release when all the other recent Disney soundtracks have been MP3 only?

I wonder if it has something to do with how well the albums sell, when songs are included.

That's probably a good guess. Incidentally, Randy Newman's site says Disney are streaming the full soundtrack.

On another note, the broken up tracks on BATMAN RETURNS are really, really annoying.

On another note, the broken up tracks on BATMAN RETURNS are really, really annoying.

Why do they do that on CDs?

Ice Age 3 is horrendously split up, with many crescendos falling exactly between two tracks. I know they want to make it easy to find bits, but 13 second tracks are completely unnecessary.

Quick Question: Does anyone know of a complete cue/score analysis for John Williams' Minority Report (either on this forum or another site?) It's one of my favorite scores, and I want to put it in film order, etc. Thanks!

Except Minority Report is not in that list. Those are nice big words, though, it should be easy to run a search for dedicated threads. It's not looking for threads devoted to E.T. or A.I. or even El Cid.

I made that Minority Report Thread over the summer, and I think the chronological order was discussed...

EDIT: Yes, it was, and eventually came a link to this website.

I'm glad that it contains the classical stuff, but it is atill not complete. It does not contain the Pre-crime advert(cue lots of kids: "Pre-crime: IT WORKS!"), or the ad mall music, but since that is by Paul Haslinger...

Quick Question:

For the iPod owners out there, can anybody recommend a good car mount and charger? I'd like to buy a case before I actually remove the plastic, to not get fingerprints on the screen, and I want to make sure the case and mount are compatible.

I already have an FM transmitter that works perfectly. My car does not have a cassette deck or direct line-in port, though I may ask the dealership how much the latter would cost.

The head unit has a button for Aux input, so I either need to get it to the dealer or an auto audio shop to install the cable harness. Having a six-MP3-disc changer put such an investment onto the back burner, and there is absolutely no documentation online as to how to do it myself or what I need.

What's a cue by Haslinger doing in Minority Report?

What's a cue by John Barry doing in "Catch Me If You Can"?

Anyone have the Williams Pops Around the World CD? Is the Cowboys overture more or less the same as the By Request recording or is it worth seeking out the World CD?

I believe that Mark Olivarez is right: it is the same recording.

What's a cue by Haslinger doing in Minority Report?

What's a cue by John Barry doing in "Catch Me If You Can"?

I meant that as a genuine question - did Haslinger write source or some sort of additional music for MR? Seems a bit weird.

I meant that as a genuine question - did Haslinger write source or some sort of additional music for MR? Seems a bit weird.

Yes. IMDB.com has "Soundtrack Listings" for every movie, which details songs and pieces in a movie (source music), but not the score pieces written by the score's normal artist. For Minority Report, it lists:

"The Ad-Mall" and "The Neuroflex"

(2002)

Written, Produced and Performed by Paul Haslinger

The Soundtrack Listing does not list every piece or cue written by JW, but it offers a link to the soundtrack album at Amazon.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone shop at/order from Movie Boulevard, in Leeds? If so, do you know if it is still trading? The website has been down for about 6 weeks, and both telephone numbers that I have are unobtainable. What's going on?

I believe they closed shop and went out of business.

It was posted over FSM somewhere on the message board.

Has there ever been a thread collecting all of the releases for the year? Like one that can be updated with release date info etc (would also be handy for picking the end of year awards too). Also, speculation.

Anyone think this is a good idea?

Two quick questions:

1. I'm curious about Danny Elfman's Standard Operating Procedure, I'm a big fan of Serenada Schizophrana and I'm considering getting it but I've listened to some samples and some sound identical to Serenada. How much of the score is a rehash from Serenada Schizophrana?

2. I'm also interested on the re-recording of Superman from Varesse, Superman is one of my top 5 scores, is the re-recording worthy?

How much of the score is a rehash from Serenada Schizophrana?

If I recall correctly, two Tracks utilize material from Serenada Schizophrana, and the rest is original material. Danny Elfman did comment in an interview that he felt the score to be a sort of "spiritual successor" (not his exact words) to Serenada Schizophrana, though.

Does anyone shop at/order from Movie Boulevard, in Leeds? If so, do you know if it is still trading? The website has been down for about 6 weeks, and both telephone numbers that I have are unobtainable. What's going on?

I believe they closed shop and went out of business.

It was posted over FSM somewhere on the message board.

Thank you for that, Mark. Can anyone recommend me a decent soundtrack mail order shop (preferably in the U.K.) which J.W.fan members buy from?