The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

I agree. I really prefer it to the Shore version (well they are very different movies, created in very diferent times - needless to say)

but roseman just offers such a richness in orchestral colours I think - wasn't eh a pupil of Schönberg?

I agree. I really prefer it to the Shore version (well they are very different movies, created in very diferent times - needless to say)

but roseman just offers such a richness in orchestral colours I think - wasn't eh a pupil of Schönberg?

I believe he studied composition with him.

Is there any difference in sound quality between This Lord of the Rings CD and This one?

Here's a link that shows the various releases:

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/catalog/soundtrackdetail.php?movieid=6520

Intrada release an 18 track version, which was reissued. I have the reissue so I can't compare the sound. I will say "Riders of Rohan" is somewhat similar to his Star Trek IV theme.

Roseman's music can be difficult for some. I would suggest his score to The Hellfighters (Intrada), it's more listener friendly.

Yes, the bridge is pretty much the same. Also it's (perhaps accidentally) more or less lifted from Wagner's Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg. :)

I love both. Shore's score represents Tolkien's world much better. But as pure music, Rosenman's is the clear winner.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you think it's possible that in Misery (several times in Buster's Last Stand, at e.g. 0:32, 1:46 and 1:55), Marc Shaiman quotes Donnagio's cello motif from Carrie (heard at the beginning of And God Made Eve), seen as how both movies are based on Stephen King's book? ;)

Anyone know where I can find a chronological track listing for TRON?

It is pretty much as the same as the c.d, except one track combines two cues, but are reversed (rather like "Trapped Lovers", from "The Towering Inferno"). "1990's Theme" comes after the Main Title, and "Only Solutions" is the last track. I'll listen to it over the week-end (I really don't need an excuse to listen to "Tron"!), and get back to you.

I'm looking forward to Daft Punk doing the "Tron: Legacy" score.

Hi All,

I was watching the Oscars this year, and the brief music cue that plays as Pedro Almodovar and Quentin Tarantino walk onto the stage to present best foreign film is so familiar, but I can't think of it's name.

If someone here knows it, or has a recording of the awards, please check and let me know.

It's driving me crazy :D

Thanks

Hi, Hedji,

Getting back to you with that TRON listing.

The Creation of TRON

1990'S Theme

We've Got Company pt.2 (00:41-end)

We've Got Company pt.1 (00:00-00:40)

Break-In

Wormhole

Ring Game and Escape

Water, Music and TRONaction

Miracle and Magican

Magic Landings

Tower Music-Let Us Pray

The Light Sailor

TRON Scherzo

Sea of Simulation

A New TRON and the MCP

Anthem

Ending Titles pt.1 (00:00-02:55)

Only Solutions

Theme From TRON and Love Theme are extras, although Love Theme could have been

underscore to a deleted "love" scene.

There is also some music that underscores Alan Bradley's visit to the lab. near

the begining of the film, but this is not on the c.d.

HAPPY LISTENING!

I am giving a talk on Saturday at an archaeology center. Should I sneak in a photo of Indiana Jones in to my talk?

This is to the "Complete edit-VGmusic-snippet-extract-freaks" on jwfan.net! :rolleyes:

I just heard about (and watched some footage of it) the 1997 PC Game

Jurassic Park: Trespasser

I heard some original music from the Film "JP2: The Lost World" in there, does anybody own this game, or know if there are some unreleased gems included?

John Barry was originally attached, his name appears on an early poster, but nothing was ever recorded as far as I know of.

I think John Williams was also considered but he recommended Laurence Rosenthal instead.

John Barry was originally attached, his name appears on an early poster, but nothing was ever recorded as far as I know of.

I think John Williams was also considered but he recommended Laurence Rosenthal instead.

Thanks for that, Mark. Speaking of names appearing on posters; I will go to my grave swearing that I saw the name Jerry Goldsmith on an early poster for "Lost In Space".

Jerry Goldsmith was originally attached to score Lost In Space but had to back out. He also suggested Broughton for Tombstone when he had to back out of that one.

I was considering picking up the Superman box set, mainly for the original film music. I already own the 2 disc from 2000 (Rhino). Is the sound quality in the blue box significantly superior to the rhino?

I'll say this about the TBB. There's one edit in Superman I that's different from the Rhino set. I'm listening to it now to nail down the track and time. I'm not saying it's wrong or bad or anything, but it's different from what I "learned."

It's at 7:09 in The Destruction of Krypton. I don't like that edit. The first passage is not given time to fade out before the second passage starts abruptly. Smells like a film edit. I also never read the book to figure out why it's like that (*ducks).

I think I'll go ahead and pick it up. Superman is too good to let it go, I know I would regret it otherwise. How good is the Superman IV score? I've never heard a note of it.

Well it's much better than Superman Returns, in fact it's the best Superman sequel score.

But Ken Thorne's adaptions for Superman II are outstanding as he makes use of some of Williams' unused alternate material from the first film. And his score for Superman III is a fun, whimsical score at times with the occasional use of Williams music.

Does anyone know exactly what all these executive producers, co-executive producers, co-producers, and associate producers, actually do on a film? Today I saw a poster for a new film that 13 "producers". That can't be right, can it? Any thoughts, folks, 'cause I haven't got a clucking foo!

I think that's an overlay... like from Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom, "9m1x Sanskrit Continued" is the choral chanting that overlays "9m1 Short Round Escapes" (at least it does in the film, it wasn't included in the Concord set)

Is there any equalizer program that could somewhat fix the sound quality of the RCA Return of the Jedi album? I made an edit using tracks from the Anthology set, but it makes the double cd album even more jarring.

Anyone catch the Monday April 5 episode of "Castle"? The one with the mummy stuff. Anyway, at one point, Castle spies a fedora hanging on a wall, grabs it and puts it on, then starts examining a sarcophagus. And then the music becomes VERY similar to the Ark Theme from "Raiders". Uncannily similar, it had to have been a deliberate homage. :banghead:

They control the money.

To put it simply, yes.

Are you guys saying that Patrick Stewart, on "S.T:Insurection", and Sigourney Weaver on "Alien 3" had a hand in how the money was spent? No wonder David Fincher was stressed...

Question for somebody with the Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Score album (paging Dr. Crichton!): when I play the alternate version of "Sacrifice" from "The Gift" (which in actuality is from the "Bargaining" two-parter, I hear), there's just a tiny bit of music missing at the beginning, and it causes track to start with a "pop". It's fixable by using the first note of the actual cue that appeared on the OMWF album (and amplifying it a bit). But I was just wondering if there was a problem with my disc, or if they're all like that.

Question for somebody with the Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Score album (paging Dr. Crichton!): when I play the alternate version of "Sacrifice" from "The Gift" (which in actuality is from the "Bargaining" two-parter, I hear), there's just a tiny bit of music missing at the beginning, and it causes track to start with a "pop". It's fixable by using the first note of the actual cue that appeared on the OMWF album (and amplifying it a bit). But I was just wondering if there was a problem with my disc, or if they're all like that.

Sorry, just saw this. I think it's just your disc, I just checked and mine doesn't have that. I hardly ever listen to the alternate though, just the final version from the musical OST. I made a playlist that includes everything from the official score album, the non-musical score cues from OMWF, and the season 3 promo, in episode order. A very long and nice listen. ;)

Was this Universal Logo music written by JW or JG or JH?

Anybody know? Also, besides the Dreamworks Logo music and possibly this one, which other Logo music did JW write?