What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

I would put The Godfather into the same short list as Jaws and The Princess Bride: movies that are better than the books on which they are based.

I'm not sure the list is exactly short. In fact, I'm convinced the list is quite long, but I don't feel like reading all the book counterparts to compare.

I found both No Country For Old Men and The Road to be better than their novel counterparts. Shutter Island would have been better if it had the film's ending; Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas is tremendous writing. With these last two though the films more or less complement the novels. I couldn't say which is better.

But if it wasn't cliched at the time then... whatever, man.

Shhhh, don't spoil Alex's superiority.

Wait, so it's ok for Alexcremers to compare one movie to another, but the minute one of us lesser apes starts comparing movies to books, it's all of a sudden wrong and means that we're clearly incapable of enjoying the movies? I mean, seriously, where the fuck do you get off, man?

~*~

Nobody should ever read The Princess Bride. If you own it, keep your house warm with it. It is so full of self-aware pretentious bullshit that I wonder how any movie studio had the balls to greenlight the movie, which was and still is tremendous. I haven't honestly read Jaws...I read Jaws 2 and wondered when the movie stuff was going to start...but the entire second act of Jaws (the book) ignores the shark and has Brody chase after the Mafia presence on Amity Island. And then Hooper dies at the end, probably punished by the Leviathan for sleeping with Brody's wife, since the police chief and his old lady's marriage was on the rocks. Now. Imagine your happy little classic Jaws movie with those elements. Still like it? (Oh lesser ape, we wouldn't know any better...) Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Don't worry, you and Chaac just gave it another boost. ;) If you don't recognize that the film's caricatural representation of the mafia has become a cliché of how we perceive the mafia then maybe you don't recognize it at all.

Wait, so it's ok for Alexcremers to compare one movie to another, but the minute one of us lesser apes starts comparing movies to books, it's all of a sudden wrong and means that we're clearly incapable of enjoying the movies? I mean, seriously, where the fuck do you get off, man?

The painting was better than the book!

Don't worry, you and Chaac just gave it another boost. ;) If you don't recognize that the film's caricatural representation of the mafia has become a cliché of how we perceive the mafia then maybe you don't recognize it at all.

I've barely seen anything about the mafia other than the first Godfather. Which I thought I wouldn't like but I found to be extremely well made and told.

What surprises me is that you're saying whatever became a cliché afterwards... as when you hail something for being extremely influential.

If anything The Soprano's pander to the cliche, not The Godfather.

Ales can be very weak in defending his opinions sometimes.

Yeah right, portraying mafia gangsters as ordinary people going to the shrink is a cliché. You can be so ignorant sometimes, Steef. But it does enhance my feeling of superiority, no doubt. It's movies like Goodfellas and series like The Sopranos that broke with the false, caricatural and mythical, romanticized image of the mafia presented in The Godfather. You think it's all very authentic but it's a dated Hollywood representation. It's as real as the Russian Roulette in The Deer Hunter.

Yeah right, portraying mafia gangsters as ordinary people going to the shrink is a cliché. You can be so ignorant sometimes, Steef. But it does enhance my feeling of superiority, no doubt. It's movies like Goodfellas and series like The Sopranos that broke with the false, caricatural and mythical, romanticized image of the mafia presented in The Godfather. You think it's all very authentic but it's a dated Hollywood representation.

The Godfather set the norm, and Goodfellas and The Soprano's showed us the norm from different angles.

As for the main conceit of The Soprano's, a mob boss going to the shrink. It's a nice idea for exactly one movie.

l_12938_0122933_c00958f0.jpg

Then fuck TV and their boring writers.

Not going to happen in movies either, I'm afraid. I'm already glad we've gotten a few "hard comic book" movies, like 300 or Watchmen. :yes:

TV is great place if we're talking character development and writers (dialogue). TV series (the new quality elite series) give me things that I don't have in the cinema. Cinema focusses on the spectacle, 3D, SFX, explosions, selling popcorn and so on but it can and should also be a medium for artistic cinematic statements.

Yeah ROTFLMAO

Cinema focusses on the spectacle, 3D, SFX, explosions, selling popcorn and so on but it can and should also be a medium for artistic cinematic statements.

Spectacle = good.

Special effects = good

Explosions = I don't care much. I think sometimes destruction looks more spectacular without explosions.

Popcorn = I don't buy popcorn.

Artistic statements = meaningless phrase, from someone who doesn't even have a clear idea of what art is.

of course television is superior to the movies when it comes to character development, Jeez if a show runs 22 to 26 times a year over 7 years a character can go through much development and many arcs. then again there are 635 episodes of Gunsmoke and I don't know that Matt Dillon ever grew or changed other than getting older.

He's even referring to himself as the elite, now.

Thanks for yet another boost, Koray (and Chaac).

of course television is superior to the movies when it comes to character development, Jeez if a show runs 22 to 26 times a year over 7 years a character can go through much development and many arcs. then again there are 635 episodes of Gunsmoke and I don't know that Matt Dillon ever grew or changed other than getting older.

Gunsmoke, no. Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Wire or all the shows that you hate, yes. Perhaps you forgot, I was talking about the new wave of cable shows TV is currently undergoing. You know, the elite shows. The TV series that bring a new level of depth and quality.

Wasn't there some long discussion I sparked about the definition of art not too long ago?

Don't remember. I don't think I saw it. What was the definition?

really Alex show me where I said hate. Please show me. I don't remember using that word, so if I did show me.

It's fine that you're okay with morally bankrupt anti-hero's who are nothing more than glorified meth heads.

thanksfully Walt is headed for death in a few weeks.

Wasn't there some long discussion I sparked about the definition of art not too long ago?

Don't remember. I don't think I saw it. What was the definition?

Could have sworn you were in there. It was me, Chaac, Steef, Quint, and a few others with you. Art is simply creative thought applied to a medium for other people to sense.

That's a pretty solid definition, Koray, but most artists would disagree with it for it assumes that any level of creativity is art. There are two often used meanings and usages of the word "art". 1) The one you described. 2) A creative work that for some reason distinguishes itself from the ordinary.

Of course, these are all extremely simplified definitions for the meaning of art is something philosophers have been pondering about for ages.

Who's Quint?

Where's Quint, BTW? I can't believe he didn't jump in already.

I started rewatching Star Trek. There is a new podcast called Mission Log. They plan on watching all Star Trek in chronological order and doing an episode about everything they watch. They are 7 episodes in so far. I believe at this pace it will take them over 10 years to cover everything. I'm enjoying the podcast so far and it has got me interested in more 'rewatch' podcasts. Does anybody listen to any?

I'm into episode 8 of Mad Men season 4. I love the first three seasons, but it's getting too soap opera-ish now. There's hardly anything about the advertising world, and you have to sit through two or three make out/sex scenes per episode now. And in ep 8 they even introduce Don having voiceovers while writing a damn diary. I hope this isn't the point where it all goes downhill.

I can't be the only one who sees Michael Corleone in Don Draper, but now it seems The Godfather Part I and II are done and we are moving into Part III territory.

I saw the episode of Cosmos titled The Harmony of the Worlds and I was completely moved at the end.

Cosmos is a fantastic series. It's a documentary series that makes me cry at the end. That's saying something.

The Walking Dead season 2 > season 1.

Brilliant.

Its better than season 1. But a lot of painful soap opera stuff going on. And Andrew Lincoln's awful acting continues to be hard to watch. Also some poor pacing issues.

Definitely has its high points though.

The Walking Dead season 2 > season 1.

Brilliant.

I've actually just finished up Episodes 1 and 2 of the Telltale video game series based off the comics. Horrendous exposition writing, one-dimensional characters, and graphics, but I have a feeling it's because of it being a Telltale game. I can sense a great story underneath this mess of a game, which gives me some hope for the show. I'll have to check it out sooner rather than later.

I only own their BTTF games. They hearken back to the classic Sierra and LucasArts point and click adventure games of old. The voice acting is top notch -- ok, it's a nerd's dream to play a game with Christopher Lloyd voicing Doc Brown. But I only invested 50 minutes into the first episode, last on May 9.

However, I never played the Sam and Max games or cared enough about the characters to get into the new games. I prefer my zombies in shooters, not story-driven games like The Walking Dead. And I would rather watch JP3 again than play their Jurassic Park game. I think that's it.

Yes, the voice acting is great, but it's really hindered by the terrible dialogue. I suffered through all five parts of their Back To The Future. Damn my trophy whoring.

There's even less interaction in The Walking Dead. You use the left joystick to walk, the right to aim, and any of the other buttons to interact with the stuff you aim at.

Getting into a lot of American stuff lately: "Franklin And Bash", and "Lillyhammer" are good, and I'm catching up on "Boston Legal" and "Star Trek: TOS", both on CBS TV.

"2 Broke Girl$" is funny as f**k, and "The Big Bang Theory" is qiute the cleverest thing on TV, right now. Of course, I'm watching a little something called "Doctor Who", and "Shameless" is as good as it has always been.

There's a very bad side of me that just loves to watch "Come Dine With Me".

So I've decided I'd like to comment on all the new episodes of shows from the current tv season I watch this season. So it'll take me little bit to catch up then hopefully I'll be writing about shows the day after I see them

Downton Abbey 3x01 [untitled]

OK, Downton Abbey is a show I never would have watched at all, but my girlfriend wanted to watch it so we watch it together. While it's clearly aimed for a different market than I fall into, I must admit I occasionally get wrapped up in the drama and want to see things work out for the likable characters and not work out for the unlikable ones. And of course, every single second Maggie Smith is on-screen is worth watching, she is great in everything she does but completely rocks it on this show. So glad she won the Emmy! Anyways, the first episode of Season 3 seems not terribly different from what has come before, except there was something.... "off" about the cinematography, I'm not sure how to explain it. Seemed like everything had a weird sheen over it somehow. Other than that it was more of the same for the Abbey gang, there was drama between Mary and Mathew, bickering between the staff, and Mr Bates is still in jail. A new storyline about Robert having investing the money into the wrong company has promise, and Shirley Maclaine as Cora's American mother is pretty inspired casting as well.

Boardwalk Empire 3x01 Resolution

Ah, so glad this show is back! After watching the pilot around when it premiered, I never had time to return to the show again. But my girlfriend had watched the first season and loved it, so we quickly caught up on both that and Season 2 earlier this year and I just loved it all, the second season even more than the first. And what a cliffhanger it ended on! The new season picks up a year and a half after the season 2 finale and immediately introduces us to a new character, Rosetti, who is clearly being set up to be a big antagonist for the second season. I enjoy all his scenes including the two big blow-ups that bookended the episode. The new status of Nucky and Margaret's relationship was unexpected and interesting, and all scenes with Van Alden were terrific as usual. Such a unique character! Jimmy's mother was sketchy as always, and Rothstein steals many of his scenes as usual as well.

I was wondering how the show would be with out Jimmy and man, the loss of his presence is felt immediately. There is no character like him and his wife and they added an interesting dynamic to the show's otherwise mostly mobster characters. I also was anxious to see how Nucky would react to Margaret having given away his land, but sadly we skip over that and instead see the aftermath, with him basically only being nice to her in public and loathing her - and seeing girls on the side - otherwise. Didn't expect that. The ending scene where Richard shoots Horvitz in the face was shocking, but makes perfect sense when you think about it. The only thing to question is why he waited a year and a half!

Big Bang season premiere is tonight.

can't wait for new tbbt episodes tho!

Meh.

Way more excited for the Modern Family season premiere.

Big Bang season premiere is tonight.

can't wait for new tbbt episodes tho!

Meh.

Way more excited for the Modern Family season premiere.

we watched it, it's awful, one funny scene in the whole show. The single camera format holds the shows potential way down imho, I know no one else will agree,

Big Bang was very good, Loved Howards last line, I'm not going back to earth. Don't blame him.

I know a lot of you have given up on The Office a long time ago, but I'm still sticking through with it.

Glad they've finally decided to end the show with this new season. I just watched the season premiere and the second episode. I like the direction Pam and Jim seem to be taking, and this new season looks like it might be an improvement in comparison to the last one. I just don't understand the need for 2 completely new characters when you're so close to the end. Its stupid.

Anyone watch Warehouse 13?

A kinda mix between indiana Jones and X files, with stories that are often a bit too ambitious for the show's budget.

But the cast is great Eddie McClintock at Pete is fun and dashing, Joanne Kelly as Myka is actually stunningly sweet and beautiful.

What i like best is the tone, despite some drama, the shows always managed to keep a good mix of comedy in there. It feels a bit 90's in a way...in a good way.