What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

A Bergerac episode, one of the first going off into the occult. The joy is in Charles Gray. Around the same time he was playing Mycroft Holmes on ITV but here with the faint menace of...well maybe the devil himself. Found it a chilling performance when I saw it years ago. I guess watching it late at night didn't help, ha. From Blofeld to devil worshipper in less than twenty years.

House Of Cards

The original 1990 BBC miniseries starring the fantastic Ian Richardson as the man you love to hate Francis Urqueheart, who after decades of loyal service to his party is denied a ministerial posts and starts a subtle Game Of Thrones as a war of succession heats up within the Tory party.

An excellent, gripping mixture of political drama and satire. Constantly bouncing back and forth between the two without missing a beat.

Ian Richardson, with his effortless charm and stern authority wins you over, even though what he does becomes more and more horrifying.

He frequently breaks the fourth wall in this series, making the viewer feel like they are part of his scheming, which makes it all the more potent that for his final scene, on his way to the Queen as the new PM, he fobs the loyal viewer of with the still famous catchphrase.

You might well think that. I couldn't possibly comment.

A spiritual older brother of The Thick Of It!

On to the second series!

Believe it or not, I watched Enterprise for the first time today. Boring stories that make no sense, bland cast, stupid acting, and a horrid opening song. No wonder this thing bombed.

That episode, where the Asian girl (Hoshi?) gets depleted by the transporter for example was a ridiculous episode.

I finished the first series of Downton Abbey today. I was against the idea of even starting the show but I was eventually pressured into it by friends once I ran out of weekend TV to watch. It's certainly not art with all it's soapy melodrama heightened to ridiculous proportions at times, but Maggie Smith with her fellow fine actors and the well-shot nature of the whole thing makes it somewhat entertaining. If I'm bored, I might give the second season a go. It's easy to get a kick out of it if you're in the right mood.

Enterprise is best explained as Dr. Sam Beckett losing track of time for four really lousy years of his life in a fan fictionalized Star Trek universe.

Oh boy!

I finally got around to watching Firefly. I'm really getting into the story but some of the quirks such as the use of no sound in space, the Chinese muttering, and the country themed score are pretty cringe worthy and I don't really like Nathan Fillion's performance.

So far I'd give it an 8/10.

The silent space thing and the other quirks just feel pretentious to me. It makes sense in something more serious like 2001 or Moon but here it feels like the silent space cutaways are there only to remind you that there's no sound in space.

"Pretentious" is the last word I would use to describe Firefly. To me no sound in space is natural. I didn't even notice it. I like the idea of using country music since Firefly is like a western with fantasy elements.

Capt_Mal_Nathan_Fillian_Han-Solo_Harriso

Anyway,

JJ Abrams and Jonah Nolan invite Anthony Hopkins to new their new HBO show called Westworld.

And since Hopkins is more positive about TV than film these days, he might bite ...

westworld-poster_zpsf6b2ee1a.jpg

http://www.filmdivider.com/3911/jj-abrams-and-jonah-nolan-invite-anthony-hopkins-evan-rachel-wood-and-more-to-westworld/

Alex

"Pretentious" is the last word I would use to describe Firefly. To me no sound in space is natural. I didn't even notice it. I like the idea of using country music since Firefly is like a western with fantasy elements.

It all comes down to personal taste I guess.

No sound is space is sooooo boring!

What's the fun of spaceships and stuff if you cant have big whooosh sounds when they fly past.

OMG I'm sure star Wars would have flopped if they didnt have sound in space. I mean Ben Burrt would have have invented all those cool sound effects.

More and more big screen actors (and directors) are starting be notice that TV is the place to be now. And it is. Really, while I think cinema should be a director's medium, TV is perfect for character development, acting and writing.

Wouldn't be surprised if Hopkins has asked his agent to send some upcoming (TV) scripts his way.

Confirmed: Anthony Hopkins will star in HBO's Westworld! Nolan will direct from a script he wrote with Lisa Joy.

Alex

BROADCHURCH unfortunately turned out to be another mediocre crime programmer. The denouement was lame and the oh-so precious characterizations of the various townfolk turned out to be frighteningly by-the-numbers (though the actors struggle recommendably).

Next!

The Boondocks

For a long while, I always thought Aaron McGruder's creation worked better as a comic strip than the Adult Swim cartoon but I've changed my mind. I'm amazed at how it manages to weave in biting social commentary, gleefully un-PC humor and beautiful animation in a fun little package.

New Halo tv series as executively produced by Messrs Sir Ridley of Riddleton, and his fellow artisan in arms Lord Scott of Scottisburg:

Check out them low production values! It looks like Doctor Who with space marines (Steef might like it).

This one is basically just marketing for the game compilation release later this year. There's a big budget Spielberg series in production at the moment which is coming next year. Which will probably be crap too, but at least it won't look like BBC sci-fi.

Alias Smith & Jones again, an episode with Monte Markham. One of these actors I like to see and I guess it all came from Baywatch as a kid in the early 90s.

As for CSI, seeing Danson and Ratzenberger in a scene together early in Season 14 was a real kicker.

It's LOST's 10 year anniversary, so I thought it was appropriate to start it anew.

Lost premiered in September, not in the middle of July.