What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Saturday Night Live 40x05 Chris Rock / Prince

Absolutely terrible. There was a sketch at the end that must have never been rehearsed or something, the actors literally stood there with clueless looks on their faces trying to find the cue cards on more than one occasion. This was bad.

David Chase hints at a Sopranos prequel:

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/sopranos-prequel

First Twin Peaks and now maybe this, will Quintus finally admit we're living a Golden Age of television?

Alex

My dear Alex, I've been seen it for about 3 years, because we are. It's Steef who has yet to accept the truth - blinded by low rent BBC drama that he is.

That's settled then. While they rightfully gave more time to Nucky's early corruptions and poetically enhanced these episodes, the real stuff was almost comically cut short. There are so many loose ends it feels almost like a betrayal of the last 4 seasons.

The offscreen, between seasons death of Rothstein is the biggest offender in Season 5. Maybe they shouldn't have stuck to what happened to the real guy

It's a pity since the rest of it easily outshone 90% of other television series since DEADWOOD. Since Buscemi's character was only very loosely based on a historical figure i don't figure out the end either - he gets punished twice (by fate?) while people much worse than him come off smelling like roses. It just felt rushed and incomplete which is unusual with a successful HBO series.

So I've been watching How to Get Away With Murder.

What the show depicts (and what it says about its writers):

- Law students are arrogant, narcissistic, and irredeemable.

- Law professors premise their classes with showing students how to practice law by focusing on how to acquit a murderer.

- They attended the Quintin Tarantino school of flashback narrative technique.

- All the characters (save perhaps the adult characters) are one-dimensional with a sole, dominant personality type.

- If you're homosexual, you don't have any emotions that originate from some place other than your genitals.

And those are just my observations so far.

Don't get your hopes up too high, iIt's from the same people who brought us Xena The Warrior Princess.

Anyway, this sounds pretty good (even though it's Nolan :P )

Jonathan 'Interstellar' Nolan is developing and producing Isaac Asimov's Foundation series for HBO:

ASIMOV-NOLAN-618-618x400_zps9aa43e0b.jpg

http://www.thewrap.com/interstellars-jonah-nolan-developing-foundation-series-for-hbo-wbtv-exclusive/

A serious sci-fi show on HBO?! Long live the golden age for TV!

Alex

Downton Abbey Season 5

I ended up neglecting to write about this each week after the first 3 episodes, so here's a season wrapup instead.

Overall, it may be the best season of Downton yet, if not that then it's at least the best season since the first 2. Seasons 3 and 4 had such a cloud of death and sorrow hanging over them the whole time, it ended up being more a bummer than anything else. This season was easily the funniest season. The first episode set the tone right away for the comedy to come, and it did continue throughout. The many subplots all got nice advancements bit by bit each week, and mostly concluded nicely in the season finale. Though there are enough dangling threads to make you want to watch the Christmas special and the next season, namely the Mrs. Bates twist and Tom and Daisy's goodbyes to everyone. I wonder how long this show will keep going, because right now I could see it running for 10 years.

10 more years? Oh boy...no thank you.

Maybe for Maggie Smith, but there are still too many dull subplots for that...

Definitely an improvement from the last season.

I was think they'd go up to the Second World War, then wrap things up as that war ends. So that might have given us 3 more seasons.

But apparently that's not on the horizon:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/08/07/downton-abbey-world-war-ii_n_3718130.html

So I guess they'll draw out what remains of the 20s/30s in 2-3 seasons?

The first season remains the best. I liked season 3 to some degree (with it's ups and downs), season 4 was a chore to sit through, and season 5 got the show somewhat back on its feet, even nothing remarkable really happens. If they can keep the momentum as consistent as they did this season, they should be good for the next. Speaking of which, have they renewed the show for a 6th season? I assume they did?

Well they've already covered 1912 to 1924 on the show (13 years) in 5 seasons.

Most seasons begin 2 years after the previous.

Homeland 4x07 Redux

Homeland Homeland Homeland, why do I let you do this to me? I should have known as soon as last week's episode ending so greatly and had me feeling like the show had finally found it's footing and a new hook on par with it's earlier brushes with greatness that it would follow it up with a subpar episode. I guess it's not like anything particular bad or cringeworthy happened in this episode, it was more that not a whole lot really happened. It was kind of cool seeing Lockhart show up and throw some weight around, and basically let the ISI know that he knows they're in league with Haqqani... but that's about all that happened besides Carrie's breakdown. I did appreciate the cinematic way in which that was filmed, though. I just can't stand that the ambassador's husband has become the smartest and most adept character on the show, and they've turned Quinn into someone who can't even notice another person being in the same apartment as him. Bah.

Brooklyn 99 2x06 Jake and Sophia

Another hilarious episode. Enjoyed Jake and Eva Longoria, enjoyed Amy vs Scully for the union rep, and Gina and Boyle's fight over the hotel room. That storyline still ended kinda weirdly I feel, but I suppose it might not be over just yet. I liked the continuity nod to showing how Jake's date went with Rosa's friend from a few episodes ago.

The underscore is great as well isn't it. Dated eerieness!

The whole thing is almost indescribable. Most of these elements shouldn't work, but they do. You have the realism of the opening sequence, and other great scenes scattered throughout that are very much grounded, but then you have classic Lynch moments like when her classmates find out about Laura's death (I don't consider this a spoiler as it's the crux of the entire show, discovered in the first 5 mins) through mostly non-verbal communication, they cut to a girl running and screaming across the school lawn, then cut right back to the classmates. It's a deliberate mood setter, but so off-putting that you barely have time to register it. Another Lynchian touch are the wild mood swings, like when Bobby is initially presented as a traditional "jock/bully" type, but there's that strange scene where he and his friend start barking at James in the prison cells, looking crazy. Weird stuff. Or the woman with the eye-patch yelling at her husband about drapes. You have comedy like the crying deputy, and tons of jokey material like one of my favorite exchanges so far:

Cooper: Can you leave us, please?

Morgue Attendant: Jeff

(pause)

Cooper: Can you leave us alone, please?

And the music is just off the wall. The lounge-jazz music that follows Audrey around, or the same music (or similar) that turns on when Bobby snaps his fingers while being interrogated and then it just turns off. The eerie synth that crops up from time to time, the main theme music. All great.

I can't wait to see all of these great characters breathe a little and stretch their legs.

Modern Family 6x07 Queer Eyes, Full Hearts

Good stuff. Finally enjoying the direction they're taking Haley's character. Still not sure what to think of Andy.

The underscore is great as well isn't it. Dated eerieness!

The whole thing is almost indescribable. Most of these elements shouldn't work, but they do. You have the realism of the opening sequence, and other great scenes scattered throughout that are very much grounded, but then you have classic Lynch moments like when her classmates find out about Laura's death (I don't consider this a spoiler as it's the crux of the entire show, discovered in the first 5 mins) through mostly non-verbal communication, they cut to a girl running and screaming across the school lawn, then cut right back to the classmates. It's a deliberate mood setter, but so off-putting that you barely have time to register it. Another Lynchian touch are the wild mood swings, like when Bobby is initially presented as a traditional "jock/bully" type, but there's that strange scene where he and his friend start barking at James in the prison cells, looking crazy. Weird stuff. Or the woman with the eye-patch yelling at her husband about drapes. You have comedy like the crying deputy, and tons of jokey material like one of my favorite exchanges so far:

Cooper: Can you leave us, please?

Morgue Attendant: Jeff

(pause)

Cooper: Can you leave us alone, please?

And the music is just off the wall. The lounge-jazz music that follows Audrey around, or the same music (or similar) that turns on when Bobby snaps his fingers while being interrogated and then it just turns off. The eerie synth that crops up from time to time, the main theme music. All great.

I can't wait to see all of these great characters breathe a little and stretch their legs.

Yes YESSSSS, you get it! :thumbup: