What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

I waited untill I was happy with the price (I still had other shows to watch so I was in no hurry). Boardwalk Empire and True Detective costed me 35 Euro ... together! Now what kinda fan of the golden age can refuse that, huh?

Eventually, I will watch Interstellar too but only much later when everybody is talking about Interstellar 2.

Alex

Stacks of the Rockford Files. The latest episode with Jim's blind psychiatrist girlfriend, the delectable Kathryn Harrold. Something about the chemistry between the actors perhaps but the relationship felt the most 'realistic' (as realistic as these shows could be). And the theme, nothing can top this show iin all avenues.

Anyone else hear that Kim Matula is leaving The Bold and the Beautiful? She's been pretty much the central character for the last five years, so it will be interesting to see what direction they take.

I bet she's leaving hoping to be cast as Supergirl in the new TV series they're developing. She sure has the look, even if she's might be a tad old for the part.

Eventually, I will watch Interstellar too but only much later when everybody is talking about Interstellar 2.

I'll wait for Apple Store version so that I can watch it on iPod Touch.

Should be more than adequate for a Nolan flick. ;)

Anyone else hear that Kim Matula is leaving The Bold and the Beautiful? She's been pretty much the central character for the last five years, so it will be interesting to see what direction they take.

I bet she's leaving hoping to be cast as Supergirl in the new TV series they're developing. She sure has the look, even if she's might be a tad old for the part.

A new Ridge and Hope leaving? The show should just finish.

Yeah that was the initial connection between the Logans and the Forresters. Beth Logan went to college with Eric Forrester and had a relationship. She reminisces about it when her daughters start reading the tabloids about Caroline Spencer's upcoming marriage to Ridge.

Modern Family 6x08 Three Turkeys

Funny stuff all around. Loved Manny's look to the camera and Hayley's confession at the end

Saturday Night Live 40x06 Woody Harrelson / Kendrick Lamar

Better than average, still nothing special. The new writer who appears in like all the sketches now is pretty good though.

Homeland 4x08 Halfway To A Donut

Arg. Another frustrating Homeland episode. They just can't keep the ship righted for any length of time. They've really turned the CIA into the most inept agency in the entire world now. Why would Carrie not being the pills with her when she left Khan's to analyze the contents, dust for prints, look for DNA, etc? Why did they have such a god awful extraction plan for Saul? The writing was just terrible in this episode. And why would Khan tell Carrie who the mole is anyway? Are they just making every male character on this show get the hots of Carrie eventually? Meh meh meh.

That show really is on and off. When it's bad, it can be really bad, but when it's good, it's pretty entertaining.

Haven't started the 4th season. Should I bother?

I wouldn't bother. Season 4 has yet to hit the heights that the first two seasons, and eventually the third, got to. The writing is just way too bad this year. Disappointing.

Homeland 4x09 There's Something Else Going On

Another disappointing episode. A lot of good happened actually, with the CIA finally getting Dennis Boyd behind bars, Carrie realizing the taliban had other plans beyond the prisoner exchange, the twist with the kid that's with Saul, etc. But then the writers ruined it again with a ridiculous ending!!! It was so lame Carrie didn't act on her suspicion and let the exchange happen as planned; Lame that RPGs could take out CIA trucks on their way back to the embassy; Lame that all the main characters happened to be in the same car so they can kill all the red shirts and have them be fine; Lame that Lockhart would send all the marines out to the explosion site and only Dennis freaking Boyd realizes that's what the taliban wants; Lame that you can break into the American embassy with a simple bolt cutter, lame that it would even be the Taliban's plan to break into their instead of causing havoc somewhere else. Who of real importance is in the embassy anyway? Why risk going in there himself instead of going back to the shadows? Just lame all around. And we have to wait an extra week before the final 3 episodes wrap this all up. Bah.

Brooklyn 99 2x07 Lockdown

Funny stuff. Wish more detective stuff was shown in regards to Boyle figuring out who left the package, but whatever. Terry with his brother in law was funny, and Holt had a lot of really great lines this week. Hitchcock and Scully's reunion was great, as was the fact he got hit with a frozen soda can. Boyle wanting to be Jake's #2 so bad was a bit too "The Office"-esque. But his Single Ladies dance was gloriously funny.

Okay, so I finished watching Twin Peaks. None of this is really spoilery (okay, maybe a little), but if you don't want to know anything, and I mean absolutely anything, about the show then just skip the post.

I have no idea how this concept and its execution got on television. Something this quirky and surreal is an extremely rare feat on US network TV, especially at the time. I read an interview with Lynch who said they were given surprising freedom. After watching it, I can see how it paved the way for shows like The X-Files (they even has a lot of shared actors, complete with an insane Duchovny cameo), among others. It is unknown to me how it managed to balance out realism, humor (with some serious yucks), idiosyncratic behavior, and terror. There are moments in the season 2 opener that just don't seem compatible on paper, like when Andy steps on a loose porch plank and hits himself in the head. It's a Stooge moment. But then toward the end of the same episode they cut to an empty hospital hallway with the camera pushing in slowly, causing unease. Then it gets crazy.

tumblr_l7bm14Rklq1qa47p7.jpg

The main thrust of the Laura Palmer story was extremely engaging, had me on the edge of my seat, and the show was a marvel during the first season and a half. Despite the oddity of it all, the characters came off as real for the most part, with the exception of a deliberate few. But even someone like Log Lady fit nicely into the Twin Peaks universe. The creators, writers, and actors were all still able to pull this off, which is an amazing feat; to keep your interest in characters alive while strangeness oozes out of every opening. Ray Wise deserves special notice.

Not everything was perfect. There are some warts on this beautiful face. The show started getting a bit off track and unfocused about midway through the second season. There were threads that just didn't work, such as those involving Shelly, Bobby and Leo, or Deputy Andy, Lucy and Dick, or Nadine's inexplicable story line. Some things worked better than others, some parts were mildly entertaining, but not enough to carry a show. It's almost like they didn't know what to do after a certain point. This show was built for today's format, maybe 10-13 episodes per season. It would have been much tighter.

The last handful of episodes started to right the ship, but I was not a fan of the sudden introduction of Annie (Heather Graham). Seemed like a forced love interest and made the finale lack an emotional punch. They should have kept up and developed the Audrey story line. Wasted opportunity.

It's clear that the season 2 finale was never intended as a series finale, although it more or less works on that level. As interesting as it would be to leave it alone just the way it is, there is an extremely fascinating season 3 that never happened. The new season coming out in 2016 will resolve some of these points, but I would have liked to see it continue.

Cosmos Episode 2

I'm pretty sure that I hate Neil Degrassie Tyson. His narration has all the smugness and artsy-fartsy wordiness of a 15 year old atheist's Tumblr page. It's not particularly well scored either. Silvestri scored it like a Saturday-morning space-serial and the result is often cringe-worthy. The show would have benefitted from a more etheral, otherworldly approach.

Cool visuals though...

4.5/10

Okay, so I finished watching Twin Peaks. None of this is really spoilery (okay, maybe a little), but if you don't want to know anything, and I mean absolutely anything, about the show then just skip the post.

I have no idea how this concept and its execution got on television. Something this quirky and surreal is an extremely rare feat on US network TV, especially at the time. I read an interview with Lynch who said they were given surprising freedom. After watching it, I can see how it paved the way for shows like The X-Files (they even has a lot of shared actors, complete with an insane Duchovny cameo), among others. It is unknown to me how it managed to balance out realism, humor (with some serious yucks), idiosyncratic behavior, and terror. There are moments in the season 2 opener that just don't seem compatible on paper, like when Andy steps on a loose porch plank and hits himself in the head. It's a Stooge moment. But then toward the end of the same episode they cut to an empty hospital hallway with the camera pushing in slowly, causing unease. Then it gets crazy.

tumblr_l7bm14Rklq1qa47p7.jpg

The main thrust of the Laura Palmer story was extremely engaging, had me on the edge of my seat, and the show was a marvel during the first season and a half. Despite the oddity of it all, the characters came off as real for the most part, with the exception of a deliberate few. But even someone like Log Lady fit nicely into the Twin Peaks universe. The creators, writers, and actors were all still able to pull this off, which is an amazing feat; to keep your interest in characters alive while strangeness oozes out of every opening. Ray Wise deserves special notice.

Not everything was perfect. There are some warts on this beautiful face. The show started getting a bit off track and unfocused about midway through the second season. There were threads that just didn't work, such as those involving Shelly, Bobby and Leo, or Deputy Andy, Lucy and Dick, or Nadine's inexplicable story line. Some things worked better than others, some parts were mildly entertaining, but not enough to carry a show. It's almost like they didn't know what to do after a certain point. This show was built for today's format, maybe 10-13 episodes per season. It would have been much tighter.

The last handful of episodes started to right the ship, but I was not a fan of the sudden introduction of Annie (Heather Graham). Seemed like a forced love interest and made the finale lack an emotional punch. They should have kept up and developed the Audrey story line. Wasted opportunity.

It's clear that the season 2 finale was never intended as a series finale, although it more or less works on that level. As interesting as it would be to leave it alone just the way it is, there is an extremely fascinating season 3 that never happened. The new season coming out in 2016 will resolve some of these points, but I would have liked to see it continue.

I think it's widely accepted that season 2 takes a total nose-dive after the climatic and thrilling reveal, with a succession of rubbish episodes and boring/pointless subplots, but it does indeed get itself back on track again in roughly the final 3, especially when Lynch returns to helm the legendary finale. In the end you forgive it for losing its focus, because it still leaves a powerful impression overall.

Wait I think Julie was missing, but the kid was there,

Captain,Isaak,Gopher, the kid,the doctor and a 6th one...did I miss Julie? I only caught the last part

Brooklyn 99 2x07 Lockdown

Funny stuff. Wish more detective stuff was shown in regards to Boyle figuring out who left the package, but whatever. Terry with his brother in law was funny, and Holt had a lot of really great lines this week. Hitchcock and Scully's reunion was great, as was the fact he got hit with a frozen soda can. Boyle wanting to be Jake's #2 so bad was a bit too "The Office"-esque. But his Single Ladies dance was gloriously funny.

looking forward to season 2 hitting the UK, anytime soon would be a bonus.