Favorite film music homages

ChuckM

I'm not talking about those cues which may or may not be stolen from somewhere else, but the ones that are clearly intended as a tribute to an earlier score. What are your favorite examples?

Some of mine include:

"The Flag Parade" by John Williams from The Phantom Menace, which is an homage to "Parade of the Charioteers" by Miklos Rozsa from Ben Hur.

"Parlay" by Hans Zimmer from At World's End, which is an homage to Ennio Morricone's Once upon a Time in the West.

The unreleased cue from Hancock by John Powell, which is an homage to John Williams' Superman.

There are plenty more I'm not thinking of at the moment.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having trouble thinking of some examples I particularly like, but in a slightly different vein, I've always gotten a huge kick out of the statement of Yoda's theme in E.T.

Ah, there's one - "Kate's Motel" from season 1 of Lost. Brilliant Hermann homage, both in the title and the music itself.

"The Flag Parade" by John Williams from The Phantom Menace, which is an homage to "Parade of the Charioteers" by Miklos Rozsa from Ben Hur.

And Jabba's theme.

Once they are aboard the Death Star while hiding in the Millenium Falcon's hidden cargo Williams quotes a few notes from Psycho.

Goldsmith does a short homage to Psycho in Looney Tunes as well as Night Crossing, althought I don't know if the latter was intentional.

The Psycho cue has been used way more times than I care to count. It's become the standard to represent a sudden shocking moment, just as two low repeating notes (Jaws) has become the standard to represent some creepy mysterious creature.

I'm sure it was, I'm just saying that quite a few composers have tipped their hats to him in that manner.

Disc 2 Track 4: The Death Star / Stormtroopers at 1:39

Ah. Yeah, I never realized that was a Psycho reference - guess I don't know that score well enough. Certainly sounds Hermann-esque enough to my ear, though!

Actually, in the FSM Vol. 8, No.1 interview with Williams, he says that the musical quote in question wasn't an intentional reference to Psycho.

Horner's homage to America's first black regiment in Braveheart is a good one.

I cannot comment on that, but we could probably fill a number of pages of this Thread with the "homages" James Horner has made....

Pops on the March: written for Arthur Fiedler but clearly an hommage to John Philip Sousa.

There's an unreleased bit from The Lion King that I could swear is Zimmer paying homage to...Zimmer. It's an intentionally cheesy moment as Pumbaa comes to the rescue during the battle at the end, IIRC - totally sounds like a spoof of Backdraft.

I cannot comment on that, but we could probably fill a number of pages of this Thread with the "homages" James Horner has made....

I will mention that one of my favorites by Horner is his non-subtle use of music from The Battle on the Ice from "Alexander Nevsky" in the Star Trek II cue "Battle in the Mutara Nebula."

Kind of appropriate as the scene in "Alexander Nevsky" is fairly similar in design....two groups engaged in combat and nearly blinded by snow and ice.

Like Horner's homage to Bicentennial Man in A Beautiful Mind...

Nevermind. :angry:

There's an unreleased bit from The Lion King that I could swear is Zimmer paying homage to...Zimmer. It's an intentionally cheesy moment as Pumbaa comes to the rescue during the battle at the end, IIRC - totally sounds like a spoof of Backdraft.

I'd have to watch The Lion King again to comment. I haven't watched it in ages. Composers do pay homages to themselves though. Morricone makes comic use of his Harmonica Theme from Once Upon A Time In The West in My Name Is Nobody.

Disc 2 Track 4: The Death Star / Stormtroopers at 1:39

You mean that timpani-low brass "ta da da" is a Psycho reference? To me, it's always just been a timpani-low brass "ta da da."

Summon the Heroes is a hommage to Copland's Fanfare to the Common Man[i/]. Duel of the fates to Orff's O Fortuna. Monsignor to Nino Rota. The Planet Krypton to Strauss' Introduction from Also Sprach Zarathustra.

I will mention that one of my favorites by Horner is his non-subtle use of music from The Battle on the Ice from "Alexander Nevsky" in the Star Trek II cue "Battle in the Mutara Nebula."

Kind of appropriate as the scene in "Alexander Nevsky" is fairly similar in design....two groups engaged in combat and nearly blinded by snow and ice.

He used part of Battle on the Ice in Braveheart too. That ol' good James :blink:

Basil Poledouris - Under Siege 2 main titles - Fanfare for The Common Man.

Whether or not it's intentional is up for debate.

Star Trek VI's use of the inversion of the opening of Firebird.

As to Horner-- think of him as being a green composer. With all that he's reused and recycled, I think it's an apt title.

There's a great homage in Silvestri's "Night at the Museum 2" to John Williams' "Across the Stars". To be precise, it is featured in the track 18 "On Your Toes" right at the beggining.

Great to hear Silvestri making a homage to Williams :D

The opening music to "Reanimator" is a really cheesy homage to the main title from Psycho. It has a drum machine!!!

Williams wrote a lovely homage to Korngold's "Sea Hawk" for the first scene with Tinkerbell in "Hook".

Just like his reference to Aliens when he reused--errr--referenced the action music from Aliens as the Klingon theme.

Williams wrote a lovely homage to Korngold's "Sea Hawk" for the first scene with Tinkerbell in "Hook".

I've never picked up on that. I'll have to watch the movie again and see if I catch that. But I feel like much of that scene was an homage to Stravinsky's music from The Firebird.

Wasn't Catch Me If You Can sort of an homage by Williams to the 60's-style impressionist jazz that he remembered from the era? The finger snaps in the opening title could have also perhaps been a nod to West Side Story.

• 2 months later...

I haven't noticed this before, but in the Simpsons episode from Treehouse of Horror "Time and Punishment", when Homer goes back in time and sees the dinosaurs for the first time, the music is very similar to the Jurassic Park Theme. A great homage in my opinion.

Here's the video:

http://bossman72.smartvideochannel.com/media/playvideo.aspx?f=flash7&cid=3A1D43351AD148C188D69D6C8DBE4B33&v=mostviewed

(Aprox at 1:20)

If that episode had been used today, the would have used the real JP theme :P

Wasn't Catch Me If You Can sort of an homage by Williams to the 60's-style impressionist jazz that he remembered from the era? The finger snaps in the opening title could have also perhaps been a nod to West Side Story.

CMIYC was definitely a JW jazz homage, I think he himself pointed out how much he loved "returning to his roots" in writing such score. And it's an interesting point about a nod to WSS, I never thought of it myself but it definitely makes sense! :)

Seems fitting to mention Ponyo since it just came out in America. Track 12 "Flight of Ponyo" is a fantastic homage to "Ride of the Valkyries" by Wagner.

Family Guy has done some wonderful film score / TV theme homages with the Family Guy theme during the end credits of the show.