What Is The Last Film You Watched?

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coppola's Dracula. Tits, sex, a ridiculously cast Keanu (rather pathetic to the point that you like him, so good job I guess), beastiality, Anthony Hopkins and Gary Oldman hamming it up, Winona, Cary Elwes only in a bit role for no apparent reason, tits, giant man-bat thing, guys with boxes on their heads, uhh...the hell did I just watch? I think I want to see it again.

Death Proof: I loved the first part but I fairly quickly lost my interest during the slightly repetitive second part. Perhaps it's too much something of a persiflage. A real hommage would've taken itself a little more seriously.

18759772.jpg

But ... damn!

Alex

Coppola's Dracula. Tits, sex, a ridiculously cast Keanu (rather pathetic to the point that you like him, so good job I guess), beastiality, Anthony Hopkins and Gary Oldman hamming it up, Winona, Cary Elwes only in a bit role for no apparent reason, tits, giant man-bat thing, guys with boxes on their heads, uhh...the hell did I just watch? I think I want to see it again.

I like it a lot, and it's one of the most stylish movies I've seen.

And Keanu Reeves is ridiculously cast in most movies where he actually has to act.

The Men who Stare at Goats. Terrible! What the hell is going on with this movie?! No narrative of any sort, it has no ideas, and is not nearly as funny as it promised ot be. Terrible, terrible film.

Yeah, Spielberg has made some pretty striking comments on CE3K. It's really when he's disappointed with things that he seems most genuine. He basically flat-out admitted to not really liking TOD on the Indy DVD set, and that was one of the few times the whole thing didn't feel like one of those promotional press kits. He admitted in the CE interviews that Spielberg of '97 would never have made the film the same way as the Spielberg of '77. He's also apparently become more of a skeptic of the UFO phenomenon, sadly. I really hope he does new interviews on TLW and Hook if/when they're released on Blu-ray.

The Men who Stare at Goats. Terrible! What the hell is going on with this movie?! No narrative of any sort, it has no ideas, and is not nearly as funny as it promised ot be. Terrible, terrible film.

The trailer made it seem a bit funnier than it turned out to be, but for the most part I found it very entertaining. Although I agree that at points there didn't seem to be any sort of story going on, rather a 'let's explore this idea randomly' film.

Not as much as the other films from 70's, I think. Mostly because of the music, which is timeless.

I love the music but today I think its effect is too domineering in the film. When I listen to the music on the CD, I never have the movie in mind. The music is too powerful for that.

Alex

CE3K is my favourite kind of dated. It's a gorgeous looking movie, especially the non-special effects parts. The colourful suberbs, the strikingly realistic domestic indoor scenes, the blackness of the night time sequences, the lush browns and reds of Wyoming, all photographed just beautifully.

Not as much as the other films from 70's, I think. Mostly because of the music, which is timeless.

I love the music but today I think its effect is too domineering in the film. When I listen to the music on the CD, I never have the movie in mind. The music is too powerful for that.

Alex

I too was watching the film a few days ago, and I felt similarly (particularly the "Barnstorming" scene). However, Steven Spielberg said in the liner notes for the album that he shot a lot of the scenes to the music, as Williams wrote much of it based on the script and dinner-time discussions, so I think it is understandable.

The trailer made it seem a bit funnier than it turned out to be, but for the most part I found it very entertaining. Although I agree that at points there didn't seem to be any sort of story going on, rather a 'let's explore this idea randomly' film.

I didn't think it was terrible. It was alright at best, like Rich said, entertaining. A few funny moments, and a nice score by Rolfe Kent.

It had absolutely no idea what it was doing tonally. The only person in the film who really seemed to have a firm grasp on the material was Stephen Lang. The score was rather bland.

STAR TREK: INSURRECTION. Flick gets a lot of flack, some of it deserved, but I enjoy it, mostly for the camaradarie between the cast and the relationship between Picard and Anij. The Ba'ku/Son'a stuff is interesting, but I wish it was far more developed, much like Picard's rape after-effects in FIRST CONTACT. Zerbe and Abraham are terribly underwhelming villains, too. Lovely score, I never used to like it that much aside from the main film, but watching it with the film it really comes together. Yeah, not amazing objectively, but I enjoy it.

started watching Hellboy 2 but it got boring so I turned it off. I'll watch it all the way through for the commentary, but... it's just not as good as the original for me (the original wasn't perfect but it was enjoyable).

Proceeded to watch Speed Racer all the way through, and enjoyed it again. I am amazed at how many reviewers didn't get this movie.

I found the second one far mroe compelling than the first one. It was too rushed, but at least it didn't get bogged down in the boring and endless action scenes the first one did. I enjoyed Speed Racer when I saw it...I don't know if 'get' is the right word, but I also thought it would have made a more positive impression with the general public. It's really pretty fun.

started watching Hellboy 2 but it got boring so I turned it off. I'll watch it all the way through for the commentary, but... it's just not as good as the original for me (the original wasn't perfect but it was enjoyable).

Yes, Hellboy 2 feels terribly labored. It's a series of events with no glue sticking in between them. Gone is the spontaneity and the organic flow of the first one. The fights were extremely unexciting too. It turned me into a non-Guillermo Del Toro fan.

Proceeded to watch Speed Racer all the way through, and enjoyed it again. I am amazed at how many reviewers didn't get this movie.

I'm sure many say that about The Matrix Revolutions and Reloaded too.

Alex

Yeah the score was pretty decent, but I couldn't personally listen to it as a standalone.

Lee - who believes Del Toro is the most promising director out there despite the fact Hellboy 2 wasn't as good as the first one.

I don't get this love for the first one. It sets up the world, yes, but so much of it is boring, drawn out action and suspense scenes. It's got a marvelous pulpy, gothic opening, but goes downhill from there. The second one is so much more del Toro-ish. He himself considers it one of his personal film, unlike the first one. Honestly, it being rushed is the only major problem I had with it.

I really liked the score to Moon in the film, but I too was quickly bored with it. I did like how it wasn't all cold and paranoid sounding, there was warmth in the score.

I was bored silly by them. I saw the film again after seeing the second one, and the only thing that really got me going was the opening. The rest all felt kind of vanilla.

Saw To be or Not to Be (1942) Starts off slow, but once it gets into the stolen identities, it's a great farce. The film almost feels subversice in its tone shifts- all of a sudden pure madcap slapstick turns into really sharp satire, which turns into a sincere speech...I feel like this film would be fascinating to watch for tis timing and figuring out how it pulls these shifts off.

Yeah, Spielberg has made some pretty striking comments on CE3K. It's really when he's disappointed with things that he seems most genuine. He basically flat-out admitted to not really liking TOD on the Indy DVD set, and that was one of the few times the whole thing didn't feel like one of those promotional press kits. He admitted in the CE interviews that Spielberg of '97 would never have made the film the same way as the Spielberg of '77. He's also apparently become more of a skeptic of the UFO phenomenon, sadly. I really hope he does new interviews on TLW and Hook if/when they're released on Blu-ray.

His comments reflect just how far he's fallen from his once high status as a director. He's lost whatever edge he once had.

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus and Sherlock Holmes. They are both lukewarm at best. The best thing about the second one is Downey Jr., as expected. Neither of them is terrible, they are so uninteresting.

Karol - who has warmed up to both scores though.

I don't get this love for the first one. It sets up the world, yes, but so much of it is boring, drawn out action and suspense scenes. It's got a marvelous pulpy, gothic opening, but goes downhill from there. The second one is so much more del Toro-ish. He himself considers it one of his personal film, unlike the first one. Honestly, it being rushed is the only major problem I had with it.

I agree. It just felt like an attempt at a weirder X-Men, and I was really bored. Whereas I think HB2 is infinitely better in every way. Especially the music.

I agree. It just felt like an attempt at a weirder X-Men, and I was really bored.

Charlie, Charlie, Charlie. :thumbup:

Tootsie: It's a classic! But you can see Dustin's eyebrow epilation from the start of the movie.

Alex

I found the second one far mroe compelling than the first one. It was too rushed, but at least it didn't get bogged down in the boring and endless action scenes the first one did.

It's rushed, the characters are retreading ground from the first movie, and Perlman's acting is awkwardly different in many of the scenes. The first one's got problems, too and I can't really say why I like it more. Also, while Doug Jones IS Abe Sapien, I still vastly prefer David Hyde Pierce.

I enjoyed Speed Racer when I saw it...I don't know if 'get' is the right word, but I also thought it would have made a more positive impression with the general public. It's really pretty fun.

Yeah, you've got it.

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus and Sherlock Holmes. They are both lukewarm at best. The best thing about the second one is Downey Jr., as expected. Neither of them is terrible, they are so uninteresting.

Karol - who has warmed up to both scores though.

Parnassus was great!

Paranormal Activity.

It's the 2009 version of the Blair Witch Project.

It's so incredibly stupid.

Worse than that it's boring as hell. Nothing happens.

It's like watching Ghost Hunters, one of tv's nothing happens tv shows.

How anyone was scared, I'm not sure.

Dave and I are so glad we didn't waste a movie ticket. One dollar at RedBox was enough.

Age Of Innocence: As always, I like it but I'm never fully satisfied. The last half hour feels not okay to me. Great performances by all.

Alex

One of my favorites. I was thinking of seeing it again, actually, a double-feature with Terence Davies House of Mirth.

One of my favorites. I was thinking of seeing it again,

This time The Age Of Innocence strongly reminded me of Orson Welles (The Magnificent Ambersons). I've never noticed that before. It's almost a deliberate tribute.