What Is The Last Film You Watched?

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, alright, alright...

Apart from Roy Scheider, Robert Shaw, Richard Dreyfuss, Liam Neeson, Ralph Fiennes, Christopher Walken and Henry bloody Thomas... WHAT HAS SPIELBERG EVER DONE FOR US?

harrison ford as indiana jones.

Though its not the kind of performance that wins oscars....there a have been worse nominatons and wins over the years...

Actually I think Karen Allen would have been a good choice for supporting actress. For Raiders, not KOTCS.

Edge Of Darkness

The first great film of 2010. Loved it. I don't know how it ended up being released in January. For those of you who are skeptical, it's not even close to the action movie it's portrayed as in the trailers.

You should check out the BBC miniseries it's based on, it's very good.

Redbelt: First half was rather good. The second half is a turkey. David Mamet is overrated. Sometimes I think he shouldn't be a director (Spartan!!!!!!) even though I like House Of Games and The Winslow Boy.

redbelt-poster-0.jpg

Alex

Weird movie...I really liked the first half. I thought iniitially it was an A-movie disguised as a B-movie, but in the end, all there was was the B-movie. Ejiofor was terrific. I'm not a big fan of any Mammet film aside from The Winslow Boy (State & Main was cute). I couldn't stand House of Games.

Edge of Darkness

Great. A really nice throwback to the old conspiracy thrillers, and probably my favorite script to come out of Monahan (who is quickly becoming my favorite screenwriter). Gibson's still got it and Winstone's role is very compelling. No major complaints aside from

the shock moment of the girl getting hit by the car. Seemed out of place with the rest of the movie.

harrison ford as indiana jones.

Though its not the kind of performance that wins oscars....there a have been worse nominatons and wins over the years...

Actually I think Karen Allen would have been a good choice for supporting actress. For Raiders, not KOTCS.

those two both deserved nominations, not that there was ever a chance in hell of either of them winning. The nomination itself would have been a victory.

I am looking forward to Edge of Darkness. Campbell has made a couple of films I really like, I love Monahan, love Winstone. And while I am not unconflicted about Gibson, I love him as an actor. He's probably my favorite movie-star of the past few decades- he is almost always compelling in a movie-star kind of role (As opposed to Cruise and Pitt, who I often like, but not in their classic leading man roles).

@QMM: How was the score? I haven't heard anything about it yet.

Saw the 3 LoTR EE's over a few days. A lot of nits to pick (more than in previous viewings), but still, pretty damn good. Sean Bean's performance is still my favorite in the films, though Serkis saves TTT- I am totally bored by everything Wood and Astin do in their scenes. I was also struck by how the heights of the hobbits are never convincingly pulled off, but are completely convincing with Gimli. The Lothlorien theme for Haldir in TTT is my least favorite use of music in the films, the only one that has always struck me as painfully wrong for the scene. On the other hand, I think I might finally be ready to delve into the complete recordings.

@QMM: How was the score? I haven't heard anything about it yet.

It's subdued and brooding with maybe two themes at the most(?). It made me think of Panic Room and A History of Violence, but I liked it and it fits the film.

And while I am not unconflicted about Gibson, I love him as an actor. He's probably my favorite movie-star of the past few decades- he is almost always compelling in a movie-star kind of role ...

Really? Oh, I see, "movie star". For a second there, I thought you meant 'actor'. I think Mel Gibson is one of the most overacting actors around.

On Blu-ray:

Raging Bull

I got that one too. Great film but still have to watch the Blu-ray.

Alex

El Orfanato (The Orphanage), directed by Juan Antonio Bayona. What an excellent film. The thrills are pretty conventional, but they all unfold naturally from the film's narrative, and are paced to pay off big time. It's a good mix of random horror and emotional torment. At the heart of the film is Belén Rueda's performance as a grief-stricken mother who just wants to be with her son. All the cast deliver solid performances, but Rueda's is the most understated and sincere. The score by Fernando Velázquez is quite good; a strong, orchestral accompaniment to the characters' feelings that never becomes insipid or overbearing. I can honestly say that this film captured my interest and delivered completely, something that doesn't happen for me very much anymore.

Pandorum, bizzare but entertaining horror/scifi film.

The Hurt Locker, very good movie, though not Best Picture material in anyway.

Enemy at the Gate, another very good movie, love the different take on WWII. Still the russians are not the most sympathetic good guys as they seemed to kill as many of their own citizens as the germans do.

Snow White on Blu-ray, along with a few of the very exhaustive supplemental materials (most of which I'll never get around to viewing). Michael Giagchichchcino actually shows up multiple times in the special features, for all you lovers of Giahchchcihino.

But what is Best Picture material nowadays? For my money, its one of the best movies of the year (though there 2-3 probably nominees I prefer). Yes, the year hasn't been a strong one, but it was better than 2008.

Enemy at the Gate, another very good movie, love the different take on WWII. Still the russians are not the most sympathetic good guys as they seemed to kill as many of their own citizens as the germans do.

Shouldn't that make the plight of the average Russian soldier more sympathetic? He's as likely to be killed by his own commanders as he is by the Germans. I remember that being one of the more interesting aspects of the film. Everyone's good in the film, IIRC, though Ed Harris' accent was distracting...I wasn't clear on what he was going for.

The Man Who Wasn't There: Somewhat boring now that I've watched it again. Everything feels very 'staged'. It never comes to life, which could be the intention of the Coen brothers, of course.

Alex

Enemy at the Gates is a bit melodramtic, but it is a good little war movie, the sniper sequences in particular are excellent. I always thought the awkward sex scene in the tunnel was very well done and actually quite damn erotic.

But what is Best Picture material nowadays? For my money, its one of the best movies of the year (though there 2-3 probably nominees I prefer). Yes, the year hasn't been a strong one, but it was better than 2008.

Shouldn't that make the plight of the average Russian soldier more sympathetic? He's as likely to be killed by his own commanders as he is by the Germans. I remember that being one of the more interesting aspects of the film. Everyone's good in the film, IIRC, though Ed Harris' accent was distracting...I wasn't clear on what he was going for.

Its easier to answer what isn't best Picture material and Hurt Locker isn't. Its a good movie but best movies of 2009, no. Certainly not one of the most enjoyable pictures. Up in the Air is being touted, and its just a damned boring movie. One of those self important films that isn't. Star Trek will be nominated I'd bet, but it's not worthy. I hope Up is nominated because it's probably my favorite film of the year.

As for Enemy of the Gate, no it doesn't make the russians sympathetic. Just because they are as likely to die by their own people doesn't make me sympathize more with them. Interestingly the two least Russian like characters in the film are the most sympathetic. As for the accents, I just ignore them these days, as its often a creative decision to speak Brit like, its the universal foreign accent.

This was one of those infamous Berlinale films which was actually laughed off the screen in 2001. While i agree that the sniper scenes are well done, all the rest is just so cringeworthy. Joseph Fiennes is the quintessential weak intellectual, complete with glasses and of course he becomes a traitor, Jude Law the simple hero who just does what he has to do (=shooting germans) and the love story is shoehorned in with the sensibility of a sledgehammer. On top you have Ed Harris and Bob Hoskins playing broad caricatures. The battle of Stalingrad certainly deserves a better filmic memory than this overproduced western cartoon offered here.

Jamie Horner is grandiosizing everything with his calvacade of chorus and orchestra, and still, i'm one of the select few who really like Horners music for it's sheer audacity. Also, his russian thieveries never were as á propos as it is the case here. It even makes sense in that context.

I thought Daybreakers looked rubbish but apparently it's actually quite good fun, so I'll probably download sometime. Love a good vampire flick.

I'd say Book of Eli > Daybreakers >>> Legion.

There's religion topics in Book of Eli and I guess some people will be turned off by it who might see it as preaching but I'm not religious and I think it works in the context of the film. (you know like the religious artifacts in Indiana Jones kind of way)

Shaun Of The Dead

This movie should not really work.

A film that switches between very broad comedy and horror is usually neither one or the other.

Plus the script is full of not only references to other movies, but frequently references itself, doubling back on situations or dialogue from a previous scene. Usually this weakens a film because it's just an example of the scriptwriter showing us how clever he is.

So again, this movie should not really work.

But it absolutely does.

The many references to other films, TV etc... are done in such a way that the initiated will pick up on them, but to the casual viewer they do not disrupt the flow of the movie.

The comedy, is really, reeally funny, and the horror genuinly works.

Edgar Wright has a snappy, fastpaced style, but managed to keep his narrative completely clear thoughout, and I enjoy his visual flair. (love the long tracking shots)

Simon Pegg is dead right as Shaun, a nice, if somewhat unambitious man who convincingly becomes a hero, even though he only wants to get back with his girlfriend.

Nick Frost is ABSOLUTELY side-splitting as his best mate Ed, a overweight boorish man who's bad manners should make the character unsymphatetic. But I absolutely understand why Shaun keeps his friendship with him. Pegg and Frost's chemistry is the film's highlight.

Kate Ashfield is also spot on as Shaun (ex)girlfriend.

Bill Nighy and Penelope Wilton, as Shaun's middle-class parents gives the film some thespian class.

One of my fav comedies/horror flicks. :sadwavey:

**** out of ****

This was one of those infamous Berlinale films which was actually laughed off the screen in 2001. While i agree that the sniper scenes are well done, all the rest is just so cringeworthy.

And even these didn't captivate me during the second viewing. Average story, average storytelling.

Warriors of Virtue

Decent, cheesy kids' movie enlivened by Don Davis' Horner-esque score. It's a shame Davis doesn't get more fantasy gigs rather than the Matrix movies or action movies. It's amazing how much a good score can elevate subpar material.

I thought HOT FUZZ was better than SHAUN. I liked SPACED a lot, although thought it was a bit smug at times. But I appreciate a great cameo by Bill Bailey ('I once punched a man in the face for saying Hawk the Slayer was rubbish').

This was one of those infamous Berlinale films which was actually laughed off the screen in 2001. While i agree that the sniper scenes are well done, all the rest is just so cringeworthy.

Enemy at the Gates is like Cleopatra - awful, yet really quite good. It's about being able to make the distinction. I'm quite happy to watch cheesy movies which try to be taken seriously, its part of the fun. There are FAR worse movies than Enemy at the Gates.

I thought Daybreakers looked rubbish but apparently it's actually quite good fun, so I'll probably download sometime. Love a good vampire flick.

thats why I paid 4 bucks to see it in case it was bad, but it turned out quite good. Saw it a 2nd time later that week when I was asked to attend with some friends, at their expense. Its not great but Sam Neil is fun and his early scenes in the movie are inspired by Legosi.

Which 10 films would you personally nominate for Best Picture, Joey?

Star Trek won't get nominated, btw.

sorry that it's after the Oscar announcement but I would pick Avatar, UP, Precious. Those would be mine. I would struggle picking the other 7. Hurt Locker is good but its not Best Picture stuff but it got the nomination. I would not pick Up in the Air, but I knew it would be nominated. I think nominating the Hangover would have made more sense than crap like Up in the Air. I'm surprised by District 9, a film of some of the most unlikable characters ever, getting nominated. The only character I liked was the baby prawn. But like Slum Dog Millionaire, District 9 showed me that I would never want to put a foot in the hell hole called South Africa. But I'd choose it over Star Trek. It only deserved nominations for technical but doesn't deserve to win a damned thing.

Edge of Darkness.

It's the kind of film I can't decide if I liked it or not. I liked seeing Mel Gibson on screen again but the plot of this film is convoluted and after a while you stop caring

k.M.Who loves the prawns in District 9 . They are gross ,pathetic and hilarious at the same time.

The Hurt Locker

I was most impressed with the cinematography. Some really superb shots with the explosions. Acting was good, but not outstanding. I don't see why Jeremy Renner was nominated. Marco Beltrami and Buck Sander's score doesn't deserve a nomination. It's serviceable, but that's pretty much it. The film does a great job at keeping the suspense up during the defusing scenes, and the sniper battle was an excellent scene. Overall it's good, possibly great, but far from perfect.