What Is The Last Film You Watched?

I don't see why this would get such a nice release. All people really need is a list of pieces that were used, they've all been recorded and probably released.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I think the approach Scorsese and Robertson took was extremely effective. The music helps to create an atmosphere of tension, paranoia, and madness, and somehow, the fact that it's all music which already existed enchances that for me. I can't quite put into words why that is, but maybe some contemplation will shed some light on things.

Off, then, to the contemplatarium. Put another way, time for a shower before going to work.

I don't see why this would get such a nice release. All people really need is a list of pieces that were used, they've all been recorded and probably released.

Who's going to pay $14.99/$10.99 download for a list of music? If a viewer wants to buy a substantial amount of the music used in the film, he may have to spend quite a lot on albums to cobble it all together (I suspect many of these pieces were either unavailable digitally or "album only" downloads).

I can't give the same praise for Shutter Island. It's a film that is less than the sum of it's parts.

The big revelation is telegraphed and really it's given away in the commercials.

I really liked DiCaprio, he was great. As for De'Niro, was he ever really a great actor or is he a sham? Its a poor cameo. Mark Ruffalo is getting better and better as an actor. The music was very loud and noisy. There is true brilliance in the Nazi scenes, I only wish the whole film could have been as strong.

One thing was very jarring was the almost B quality of the driving scenes. For an A movie, they got that all wrong.

Who's going to pay $14.99/$10.99 download for a list of music? If a viewer wants to buy a substantial amount of the music used in the film, he may have to spend quite a lot on albums to cobble it all together (I suspect many of these pieces were either unavailable digitally or "album only" downloads).

I understand the appeal of it. I just think it's frustrating that a majority of original scores aren't made available in their entirety on first release, and when a soundtrack is finally given extensive treatment on its original release, all the music was already available, however inconvenient.

He was the firebug that Leo confronts in the beautiful sitting room, the guy with the massive scar and white eye.

I have to read the book now. I'm sure it's much better but it won't take anything from the beautiful art direction.

The scar dude was Elias Koteas, aka Casey Jones from the first and third live action Ninja Turtle movies.

Yes, De Niro is an amazing actor. Is it just me or did he really give Brando a run for his money as the young Don Corleone?

...just watched Godfather Part II on BD.

Definitely was Elias Koteas. I dunno what Joey is smoking.

I saw the film today and liked it, but didn't come to the same conclusion that Bryant did about the ending. I thought

he really was just regressing, and not "pretending" to get lobotomized on purpose. I thought the whole point of the movie was that there was nothing crazy going on at Shutter Island, and that Kingley was using old-fashion talking and group therapy to help the patients. Of course, now that I am thinking about it, they did show the orderly with the long needle in that last scene, didn't they. Hmm.

Interesting trivia: They filmed the big climactic flashback scene right near where I live. In fact, I am there every few weeks all summer long - it was filmed at Borderland State Park in Easton MA. They have walking trails, fields, an old mansion, and an 18hole disc golf course. Nice park. Anyway, the house where he and his wife lived in said flashback scene is this old cabin by this lake there in between holes 1 and 2 of the course (and also along one of the walking trails). I was there playing once and we were talking to some other people and they were talking about the filming set up, and were pointing out "over here is where Leonardo's hot tub was"... and at the time I was like "Really? Hoity toity Hollywood actor needs a hot tub on location?" Now that I've seen the movie I totally get it. He had to go INTO that lake - and let me tell you that lake is DISGUSTING. I can't believe he was willing to go in there lol. And the water was probably WICKED cold which explains why he would need a hot tub in between takes. Yikes. Hope he didn't catch anything in there, its filthy. Was cool to get a place I am very familiar with get such extended screen time!

That's awesome!

Definitely was Elias Koteas. I dunno what Joey is smoking.

I saw the film today and liked it, but didn't come to the same conclusion that Bryant did about the ending. I thought

he really was just regressing, and not "pretending" to get lobotomized on purpose. I thought the whole point of the movie was that there was nothing crazy going on at Shutter Island, and that Kingley was using old-fashion talking and group therapy to help the patients. Of course, now that I am thinking about it, they did show the orderly with the long needle in that last scene, didn't they. Hmm.

The more I thought about Bryant comment, the more it made sense. Especially when you take into consideration the last line--"I wonder if it's better to live as a monster or die as a good man." Living as a monster is being released into society and being free, but having to live with the horrible guilt of knowing you killed your wife and indirectly killed your children. Dying as a good man is being lobotomized, and basically becoming dysfunctional, but loosing memories of your murderous past. I don't think there was anything crazy going on at Shutter Island either--the movie seemed to think that lobotomies were morally justified if there was truly no other hope (I'm not saying I disagree, but I know some people who would). The "great evil" seemed to be experimenting on people that weren't afflicted, or people that had some hope of recovering through other methods.

Another curiosity about the film: Leo seems to be strictly against hurting others as a means of revenge, after the whole incident with the SS officers (regardless of whether that happened or not). So why did he tell the head psychologist that he thought all the mental patients didn't deserve "a sense of calm?" He seemed disgusted that Shutter Island had evolved to more humanitarian ways of treating its patients.

At first I thought he was regressing, but then he said "Which would be better, to live as a monster or to die as a hero?" This clearly shows he was brought back to reality, perhaps not permanently but at that point he was. Instead of living with the things he had done he decided to play it as if he was regressing and get the lobotomy. And you're right, nothing crazy is going on at Shutter Island. They did lobotomies, but the whole conspiracy was about conducting experiments on the patients for who knows what reason.

This is a film I think will really expand and deliver upon second viewing. I'll probably see it again later this week.

On the subject of the extremely poorly-done process driving shots: I think it was on purpose. Hitchcock was (pardon the pun) notorious for throwing in utterly unconvincing process shots, so much so that several of his better-known critics attribute them not to poor effects, but to an attempt on Hitchcock's part to heighten the unreality and dreamlike quality of the scenes involved.

Dunno if Hitchcock was doing it on purpose or not, but I am positive that Scorsese was.

On the subject of Elias DeNiro Koteas: dude has always looked like DeNiro to me, and in this one he reminded me srongly of DeNiro's Frankenstein. Since that one is about a mad scientist, and so -- to some extent -- is Shutter Island, I'm tempted to say Scorsese did this little bit of casting on purpose, too.

I loved most of the smaller roles in the movie. Jackie Earle Haley was great, Patricia Clarkson was great, Emily Mortimer was great, Michelle Williams was great, Von Sydow ... duh, great. Creepy ole Ted Levine did a fine job in his one scene. And of course, DiCaprio and Kingsley nailed their roles. I even really liked Mark Ruffalo, who has never interested me at all before.

Man, I really, really loved this movie. It makes me want to go on a Scorsese binge for a few weeks.

The Red Riding Trilogy. A series of 3 made for UK tv films, released theatrically in the US. I caught them on DVD (unsubtitled, to my great chagrin). All written by Tony Grisoni (an occaisional writing partner of Terry Gilliam), based on David Peace's fictionalized version of the Yorkshire ripper mystery. The first film, 1974, didn't really grab me. The second one was better, with a striking ending. The third one I was totally engaged in. It's a bleak, bleak world presented here, the three films combine to make a real epic of corruption and violence in northern England (It didn't exacatly make me exicted to visit west Yorkshire, I can tells you that). Not all of it works...but it is really a gripping series, in the tradition of the classy BBC crime dramas, but with bigger budgets and extremely focused. I only wish whodunit wasn't given away by the DVD case...(though not in an obvious way). Some good music in the second one (1980), and a bit in the third one (1983).

On the subject of the extremely poorly-done process driving shots: I think it was on purpose. Hitchcock was (pardon the pun) notorious for throwing in utterly unconvincing process shots, so much so that several of his better-known critics attribute them not to poor effects, but to an attempt on Hitchcock's part to heighten the unreality and dreamlike quality of the scenes involved.

Dunno if Hitchcock was doing it on purpose or not, but I am positive that Scorsese was.

On the subject of Elias DeNiro Koteas: dude has always looked like DeNiro to me, and in this one he reminded me srongly of DeNiro's Frankenstein. Since that one is about a mad scientist, and so -- to some extent -- is Shutter Island, I'm tempted to say Scorsese did this little bit of casting on purpose, too.I loved most of the smaller roles in the movie. Jackie Earle Haley was great, Patricia Clarkson was great, Emily Mortimer was great, Michelle Williams was great, Von Sydow ... duh, great. Creepy ole Ted Levine did a fine job in his one scene. And of course, DiCaprio and Kingsley nailed their roles. I even really liked Mark Ruffalo, who has never interested me at all before.

Man, I really, really loved this movie. It makes me want to go on a Scorsese binge for a few weeks.

I think that was clearly intentional. lots of people including myself were convinced it was De'Niro. Jackie Early Haley is unrecognisable, but his 3 or 4 min of screen time was hardly great. Kinglsey's performance was mailed in. It's another of his creepy I've got a secret roles that ultimately comes up flat.

The more I think of this movie the more I realise it's a minor film in Scorsese's catalog and is forgetable. At best it's a 2 and a 1/2 stars out of 4.

You guys had me set up for something great and it wasn't there.

Of the two movies I saw yesterday Black Dynamite was easily the more satisfying work, granted by lesser actors and director, but it was so much more enjoyable. Maybe it's all about expectations.

The more I think of this movie the more I realise it's a minor film in Scorsese's catalog and is forgetable. At best it's a 2 and a 1/2 stars out of 4.

Well, that's what almost every critic says at Tomatoes. The film hardly has any avid defenders.

Glenn Kenny likes it, and I often find myself agreeing with him. But I'm not excited by the thought of this movie.

It's strange about the Koteas/DeNiro thing. DeNiro repairing with Scorsese would be big news, yet a lot of people are sure he's in it based on the similarity. I love Koteas, but I also used to think he was DeNiro (Much younger...when I was 6 I was sure DeNiro was in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)

There's a similarity, but I think I could tell the difference unless it was a very quick cameo, say a single shot of less than 10 seconds without speaking. The volume of face, nose shape, and hairline give it away. You could probably throw Christopher Meloni of Law & Order: SVU into the lookalike mix, too, though he's much younger.

128915877729160815.jpg

There's a similarity, but I think I could tell the difference unless it was a very quick cameo, say a single shot of less than 10 seconds without speaking. The volume of face, nose shape, and hairline give it away. You could probably throw Christopher Meloni of Law & Order: SVU into the lookalike mix, too, though he's much younger.

128915877729160815.jpg

I would never mistake Christopher Meloni for either of these men, Chris is very handsome, neither of these men are.

The character was under heavy makeup, shot mostly from right profile and the eyes were two different colors. BB said it best when he mentioned Frankenstein.

Alex, because this movie leaves you with the impression there is a twist, I avoided reading the reviews since some critics don't care if they spoil things or not. cough cough Rex Reed cough cough.

I would never mistake Christopher Meloni for either of these men, Chris is very handsome, neither of these men are.

The character was under heavy makeup, shot mostly from right profile and the eyes were two different colors. BB said it best when he mentioned Frankenstein.

Neither would I. I saw it online at the spot where I found that pic, and see a slight similarity -- two eyes, a mouth, a nose -- but other than that, the hairline, face shape, and youthfulness are all different.

If the filmmakers are trying to make it less obvious, then I can see getting the two guys mixed up.

This movie interests me, but I haven't felt like seeing any movies lately. Rental.

Until recently I thought SNL's Jason Sudeikis was in The Hangover but it's actually Ed Helms.

Mistaken identity can happen within films.

I saw 1979's Dracula. It was great! Beautiful visuals, incredibly entertaining, and the score was absolutely stunning. This is a near masterpiece, I'd love to get an expanded version.

Hurrah! Someone who likes "Dracula"! I can only guess that you saw it on R1 d.v.d., which was "fully scoped", instead of the 1.85 (or whatever) travesty of the R2 release. To fully appreciate the film as originally presented, you will have to turn the saturation on your T.V. up as far as you can, as Badham had the d.v.d. de-saturised to his original vision, which was to shoot the film in black and white.

No, unfortunately I saw the version that was de-saturized. I would've much preferred the original, but the almost-black-and-white was affective in certain scenes (particularly Lucy's abduction, seeing Dracula walking through the mist).

This is a shame, as Gil Taylor's photography (he moved on to "Dracula" after being released form "Damien: Omen II", along with Mike Hodges) is sumptous. I was fortunate enough to see this film in London, in 1979, and I too, love every frame of it. Langella is brilliant, as is Kate Nelligan (sigh). Looked at now, the whole thing does come over as a bit "cheesy", but, for me, this is part of its appeal. BTW, did you spot the 7th Doctor in the film?

The seventh doctor? No.

I agree that it's a bit cheesy, but also that that is part of its charm. I wanted to see a theatrical, romantic, exaggerated portrayal of Dracula, and that's exactly what I got.

I hope Dracula gets a complete release someday...all I've heard is the main title, I think, but it's enough to make me want the rest of the score. I suppose I could end up being disappointed...I'd listen to samples first.

Heck, with the kinds of releases we've been getting, I wouldn't be surprised if it did show up sometime in the next few years...

I'm with Indy IV; if you can get hold of it, you won't be dissapointed! The score is, basically, one theme, but it is effective. IMO, standout tracks are "Main Title/Storm Sequence" (although I prefer the film version of "Main Title"), "For Mina", "The Love Scene", and the brilliant "To Scarborough". I'm sure that a kindly jwfan could run you off a copy.

"Lucy's Abduction" is another wonderful highlight. I love the part when the trombones come in, mimicking that horn motif...brilliance.

I wonder if anyone will ever do a faithful adaptation of Dracula. You know, without the whole romance bit.

Did you see Nosferatu?

1/ Sylvester McCoy introduces Dracula at the dinner party scene- "Count Dracula". He is also with Olivier and Pleasance at the graveyard, when Olivier exhumes Mina's body. I believe he is billed as Sylveste McCoy.

2/ I always thought that the romance was central to Dracula (all that stuff about Dracula searching for his long-lost bride). Even if it was not in the book, I guess that it's too late to NOT include it, now.

3/ I assume that you are talking about the F.W. Mournau original "Nosferatu", and not the rather dissapointing Klaus Kinski remake..?

Watched The Road, which was a grim but worthy story of a family torn apart by an apocalyptic event. Two excellent performances carried the slow but engrossing proceedings and by the end I was rather moved by the plight of the young boy and his bittersweet story arc. As for the score, I didn't even notice it till halfway through and didn't find it at all intrusive, Henry. I thought it was a perfectly serviceable score and I'd give the movie 4/5 stars.

3/ I assume that you are talking about the F.W. Mournau original "Nosferatu", and not the rather dissapointing Klaus Kinski remake..?

I was, though the Herzog film is certainly interesting.

It is a fascinating movie to look at. I was specially struck by how white the castle was.

The Lovely Bones

Very heartfelt and some tense scenes, but I'm told the book has far more material on the breakdown of the family, and doesn't deal much with the heaven scenes. The CG was amazing, but at times felt a bit unnecessary, and the family breakdown/recovery seemed to be told more in brief scenes, rather than a gradual process.

From a directorial and editing POV, it was very well executed, but I felt I wanted to get to know the Salmons more.

If you like that, then watch "Shadow Of The Vampire"; it's rather good.

The Lovely Bones

Very heartfelt and some tense scenes, but I'm told the book has far more material on the breakdown of the family, and doesn't deal much with the heaven scenes. The CG was amazing, but at times felt a bit unnecessary, and the family breakdown/recovery seemed to be told more in brief scenes, rather than a gradual process.

From a directorial and editing POV, it was very well executed, but I felt I wanted to get to know the Salmons more.

I just wanted to see more Stanley Tucci. Whalberg and even the lovely Weisz were awful. I didn't even like the purgatory scenes that much, because the film was overwrought with narration. Great cinematography, like you said, and Tucci made the whole thing worthwhile to me.

Saw the Crazies, loved it. Terrific, great film of the genre.

I had every intention of watching that last night, but I found out at the last minute that I had to be at work first thing this morning ... and on my day off, no less! (Grr!) So no late-night movies for me last night.

I've been hearing great things about The Crazies, though, and I'm all of a sudden a lot more interested in seeing Breck Eisner's take on Flash Gordon when that gets made.

The reason I had to be at work early was to receive and assemble a print of The Young Victoria, which I then had to screen to do a qc on it. It was ... not particularly good.

It was a fine treat for my eyes to look at Emily Blunt in a wide variety of stunning costumes for a couple of hours, but apart from that, the screenplay never really gave me any reason to give much of a crap about the travails of Victoria, or Albert, or anyone else, either. The acting is mostly good, and I wasn't overly bored, but my final thoughts on this one are that it smells a bit like BAFTA-bait gone stale.

I'd've much rather seen The Crazies instead.

BB I really think that it's a very good film in its own right but as a horror film it's even better. I think it's up there with 28 Days Later. It's less of a zombie movie and more of a madness film. Timothy Olaphant has never been better

BB I really think that it's a very good film in its own right but as a horror film it's even better. I think it's up there with 28 Days Later. It's less of a zombie movie and more of a madness film. Timothy Olaphant has never been better

Well, I loved 28 Days Later, so if it's in that league, I'm definitely gonna want to see it.

I'm an Olyphant fan, too, mostly from Deadwood, so it's nice to hear he's finally got a good film role.

Blood Diamond:

I thought it was a pretty good film, although it suffered from, at times, trying to be too much of an action-adventure film. It's one of those films that makes me both incredibly grateful for what I have, and also incredibly guilty for not doing more to counter this type of evil. I think this is probably the best acting I've seen Dicaprio do, he was fantastic. I thought the film could've also done more to end on a less "happily-ever-after" note. Sure, there were disclaimers at the end that mentioned how there were still tons of child soldiers in Africa, but really that's not what an audience is going to remember. I thought JNH's score was pretty good, I'll look into getting it. As for the rap song that played over the end credits....what the Hell?!!!!

I've tried a second partial (looong day, I'll fall asleep if I try watching any more) viewing of The Hurt Locker in oscar prep.

Am I the only person who doesn't find this film very interesting beyond a few tense moments? It's like a movie version of Generation Kill, and I stopped watching that before the end of the series.

And what's with Beltrami being nominated? Anyone could've written the sound-design stuff I heard.

I thought The Hurt Locker was overpraised this year. It's got a great performance by Jeremy Renner, but apart from that, I didn't find anything about it to be exceptional. Not a bad movie, just not one I care about in the slightest. And the score nomination is a Santoallala-sized joke, which, of course, means it's bound to win. Remember, you heard it here first.

Now, Generation Kill, on the other hand, engrossed me from start to finish, and the second time I watched it, I was even more engrossed. That's great stuff.

And the score nomination is a Santoallala-sized joke, which, of course, means it's bound to win. Remember, you heard it here first.

:eek: I'll be sure to remember that when Up wins.

Shutter Island:

Great, great film. Incredibly effective, that was the best film I saw in theatres in a long time. The more I think about it, the more I love it. I do have one question.

My friend who I saw it with seemed to think that the ending made it so the viewer did not know whether Leo was crazy or not. My interpretation of the ending was that Leo would never have said "I gotta get off this rock" to his "partner" unless he was crazy, because he would be giving an incentive to the "experimentors" to think that he was still onto their schemes and thus they wouldn't call a ferry. I think he was crazy in the end, and he just forgot about all the progress he made (the repeating tape simile), which would make him still trust his "partner" and still think everybody else was conspiring against him.

He was crazy the entire movie, until the very end, at which point in time he continues acting crazy so that he can be lobotomized and therefore not have to remember the targedies of his wife and children. That final scene chilled me right to the bone.

Alright, thanks!

The more I think about this film, the more I like it. It's better than any film in 2009, and I can't remember the last time I saw such a good film in theatres.

Bryan already answered your question, but just to add

I think the line "Is it better to live as a monster or die a good man?" is the key to understanding whether Leo was crazy or not at the end