What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Yeah, it's not for everyone. But personally, Eyes Wide Shut taught me a lot about the way I watch movies. It made me look for the reason why it went from mediocre to incredible. Now I know. For instance, I now know that I will never like Shutter Island. I knew that after 5 minutes. It does not do what I want movies to do.

The Duellists! Another movie that went from 'just okay' to 'absolutely brilliant', and a perfect example of what it is that I want movies to do.

Alex

Eyes Wide Shut, or, as one critic called it; Legs Wide Open.

Alex, my friend, The Duellists has always been brilliant. Ridley Scott's most mature movie to date.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eyes Wide Shut, or, as one critic called it; Legs Wide Open.

Alex, my friend, The Duellists has always been brilliant. Ridley Scott's most mature movie to date.

I don't understand that comment. I love both films for exactly the same reason.

Because of the nudity in the film, one critic called Eyes Wide Shut "Legs Wide Open". It's a pun, you see.

As for my comment about The Duellists, there's not much to understand: it is a damn fine film, and I think that it is Scott's most mature movie, to date. Simple.

Because of the nudity in the film, one critic called Eyes Wide Shut "Legs Wide Open". It's a pun, you see.

But do you share his 'opinion' or do you just happen to like the quote?

But do you share his 'opinion' or do you just happen to like the quote?

In all honesty, Alex, I neither share, nor not share, his opinion. I simply remember it as a witty comment on the film. I have only seen the film once, in 1999, and I do remember an "orgy/sacrifice" sequence, but I spent most of the film looking for "English" mistakes, thinking what Harvey Keitel would have been like, had he not walked. I have no issuse with nudity in film, if is relevant to said film (case in point Basic Instinct, where "that shot" is not only crucial to the plot, it is the most important shot in the film). I have nothing against EWS, nor the nudity it contains.

I have no issuse with nudity in film ... I have nothing against EWS, nor the nudity it contains.

Good, because for a moment I thought you were one of them peeps who call Watchmen that movie about a blue dong.

Alex

I have no issuse with nudity in film ... I have nothing against EWS, nor the nudity it contains.

Good, because for a moment I thought you were one of them peeps who call Watchmen that movie about a blue dong.

Alex

I might think that...if I had the slighest clue what a dong is!

There's a film festival going on here, saw a few new films:

Winter's Bone: Very good.

Please Give: Almost very good.

Carlos: Pretty good.

A Woman, A Gun and a Noodle Shop (aka Zhang Yimou's remake of Blood Simple): Not good.

And it isn't blue, unless you're getting an insane amount of action.

"Action"? Chance would be a fine thing! When I signed on to this site, I never thought I'd find myself discussing dongs - mine, Roman Polanski's or otherwise.

P.s., I quite like "Pirates".

When I signed on to this site, I never thought I'd find myself discussing dongs - mine, Roman Polanski's or otherwise.

You have only yourself to blame. We were all being our little innocent selves and then you had to start with "legs wide open"!

The Last Winter

Ron Perlman stars in a horror movie on the Alaskan tundra about oil drillers who may have "unearthed something" or whatever. The trailer had initially interested me but apart from a few scenes it is pretty ho-hum and has serious problems with its ending.

The Marc Pease Experience

This is really bad, the film doesn't know what it wants to be at all. Comedy, teenage drama, musical, spoof? Ben Stiller & Jason Schwartzman are totally wasted and come across unlikeable, which is a shame as they're both the opposite.

It's based around Jason's character Marc, who has stage fright as a kid but a few years later he combats this by forming a wedding band. Ben Stiller plays the drama teacher who contributed to Marc's stage fright and is having an affair with one of his pupils, the same girl that Marc is in love with.

It deserves no more exposure so i'll stop there, an utter mess of a movie! Anybody seen it?

- Tim

The Duellists! Another movie that went from 'just okay' to 'absolutely brilliant', and a perfect example of what it is that I want movies to do.

Alex

If I could somehow print and frame that final shot, it would be placed on the living room wall with pride - masterful cinematography.

- Tim

If I could somehow print and frame that final shot, it would be placed on the living room wall with pride - masterful cinematography.

A great ending and not only for its cinematography.

Predator

Luckily netflix sent me the original blu ray, and not the DNRd new version. I hadn't seen this movie in years, was quite happy to watch it again. I quite enjoy everything about this movie, except for the Predator's invisibility effects, which weren't that great. The characters are all fun. Silvestri's score was better than I remembered. Some parts are very similar to BTTF but that's OK.

I can't wait to watch Predator 2 again now, I haven't seen that one in even longer. Sadly I won't get to see it until after I see Predators tomorrow.

The Last Airbender. Not as bad as the critics say. I've seen worse films this summer.

Twilight Eclipse. The last 30 minutes are ok but the middle of the film really drags. I like Dakota Fanning the evil vampire queen

I never understood why Predator 2 was so shat upon. Yea it's not as good as the first but I always enjoyed it. Maybe it helped that I was a tweener when I first saw the 2 Predator movies but I dunno, just always enjoyed both. I suppose we'll see if my opinion changes after the netflix disc arrives and I watch it for the first time as an adult

It has machine guns, explosions, foul language and Gary Busey. What more do you want? It sure ain't no classic, but it's sure as hell a lot better than the 18 Certificate rubbish they churn out nowadays.

Didn't it demystify the Predator, like Cameron did with the Alien in Aliens and what Scott is going to do with the Jockey in the new Alien movie?

Didn't it demistify the Predator, like Cameron did with the Alien in Aliens and what Scott is going to do with the Jockey the new Alien movie?

Not at all, it opened up the world a little bit and told you a little bit more about them without demystifying them at all.

The AvP movies on the other hand... did.

Demystify? Isn't that what sequels do?

No, prequels do that.

Not necessarily. A prequel would "demystify" the story by explicitly showing you what happens before the first movie, even though it's made after the first movie, but a sequel can achieve the same result by either telling you what happened before the first movie or by showing you a wider view of the characters and situations presented in the first movie. I'm sure that one could argue that TESB and ROTJ "demystify" SW (the Skywalker family tree and Kenobi's "lies"), though not to the extent that the prequel trilogy does with its midichlorians and Ani's droid hobbies. Ok, enough about SW.

Case in point. Predator shows a single alien life form arriving on Earth to hunt humans. Even though it's not of this earth, we have to call this alien a "Predator" to distinguish from the acid-dripping "Aliens." This predator acts alone. We assume it's male, but we don't know his name, if he's the last of his kind, if it was not intended to be a one-way suicidal trip, or any kind of culture aside from his actions as a warrior presented onscreen.

Along comes Predator 2. The title character comes to Earth to hunt humans in an urban setting, just like how the first predator came to the jungle to hunt humans. But this movie has some differences. It can scan its prey's insides, and if they are pregnant, the would-be victim is spared, showing a desire to not score an easy double-kill on unarmed, unborn opponents.

You could argue that the first predator showed Arnold some respect by engaging in hand-to-hand combat once it became clear that Arnold knew it was there, Arnold had only melee weapons, and that Arnold had proven himself a worthy adversary by being the last man standing. But the predator's ultimate goal was still to kill Arnold, not sit and exchange stories.

More "predators" arrive at the end of P2 to claim their fallen comrade, but they do not hunt the people or even avenge him by killing Danny Glover. They give Glover a token of respect and then leave. This "demystifies" the predators as showing them not as cold-hearted killers all the time, but as logical, emotional beings who actually can give a damn about their quarry.

Yes, midichlorians. That sorta says it all, I think.

A lot of the first original movies are better than their sequels (and now prequels) because they didn't try to explain everything.

Alex

Yes, midichlorians. That sorta says it all, I think.

A lot of the first original movies are better than their sequels (and now prequels) because they didn't try to explain everything.

Alex

Hey! The original argument was about Predator, not Star Wars.

A History of Violence, once again. Still one of the most amazing final scenes I've seen in a film. Brilliant.

I can't wait for Viggo and David to give us the final part of their gangster trilogy. Excellent movies.

Just watched Let the Right One In again. This is an astonishingly beautiful movie.

It was the kid's choice. Now he wants me to take him to Predators. OMG, what is to become of me! I think I'm going to take him to Inception instead.

Transamerica. It's a great movie anyways, but I love Felicity Huffman's performance. It's far better than Reese Whitherspoon in Walk The Line and definitely deserved the oscar for best actress. It's just a shame because this movie seems rather obscure and unheard of. I wish it had won best actress as it deserved so that it would be seen by a wider audience.

Well, considering the small amount of people who really care about the oscars anyways, I don't think it helps any film that much, but I have never heard mentionings of Transamerica, even from my friends who are bigger film buffs than me. I just think having an oscar attached to it would give it some resonance as it does for any movie to varying levels.

Blues Brothers 2000. Yes, John Belushi is definitely missed, and it is a complete and inferior rehash of the original. However it still packs enough feel good-ness to be an enjoyable romp.