Elfman / Burton Box Set Coming.

Ollie

There is stuff from the OST's with each score but there is also additional previously unreleased music with each score.

In fact Richard Kraft said they used the same masters La-La Land used for their Batman and upcoming Batman Return releases for this set.

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I correct in thinking that there is nothing on the OSTs of these soundtracks that won't be included on this set except "What's This" without the singing elves and some of the rerecordings for Pee-Wee?

"What's This?" (without elves) is on the set - see disc 16, track 4

http://jwfan.com/for...ndpost&p=664124

There does appear to be some other OST tracks not in this release though:

Beetlejuice:

-Main Titles (album version)

The two Harry Belafonte songs

Batman:

-Original version of "Attack Of The BatWing"

Edward Scissorhands:

-The Tom Jones song

Batman Returns

-The Siouxsie and the Banshees song

Nightmare Before Christmas

-Christmas Eve Montage (Album version)

Mars Attacks!

-The Slim Whitman song

-The Tom Jones song

Big Fish

-The 8 source songs

Corpse Bride

-Victor's Piano Solo (with Dialogue)

-The Piano Duet (with Dialogue)

Hey Koray, did you say they charged you for it already? Or was it just an authorization. I don't want any checks to bounce...

It's just an authorization, but in my account it still appears as a pending transaction. So instead of having $600 in my checking, it shows I have $50. This usually happens with SAE. I'll pre-ordered an Italian score, and the $40 charge or whatever it is shows up in my account, but a day or two later it disappears until they actually ship it. This so far has not disappeared.

Am I correct in thinking that there is nothing on the OSTs of these soundtracks that won't be included on this set except "What's This" without the singing elves and some of the rerecordings for Pee-Wee?

Just by skimming through the track lists, I think there are some cues on the OSTs that are absent. Like I know there are some cues on here for Batman that are not on the LLL release. It's a good question, because I'm thinking of selling all of the Burton-Elfman scores I already own.

Can't get this thing out of my head, I want it so bad. It's just not feasible: for me in Europe, the total amounts to 690 USD! That's even more insane than the selling price.

Now, if the soundtracks would have been truly complete, I probably would have sprung for it. The fact is there seem to be a LOT of demos/worktapes (with Danny singing in the car?) on it. I like the occasional demo, but I think it might be a bit too much. Plus, my favourites - except for Nightmare before Christmas - could have been more expanded: Planet of the Apes only has a few extra cues, and Mars Attacks only one (the best one though!). (And yeah I know, I'm looking for flaws.)

Can't get this thing out of my head, I want it so bad. It's just not feasible: for me in Europe, the total amounts to 690 USD! That's even more insane than the selling price.

Most of us can't really afford this set. Those who have ordered it have A: A lot of money or B: are totally insane to spend that much on a set like this.

I watched Nightmare Before Christmas today with my daughter. It reminded me how much I would enjoy this set, especially the orchestra only versions. Then the reality that I'll never afford it crashed in.

I think the comment about Elfman singing in his car was a joke.

Probably, but I'm not entirely sure; Elfman sings his ideas to his cassette recorder. What could a 'worktape' be?

Wow lonzoe1 is making a big stink about this set regarding the Batman material on FSM. It's apparently the last straw for MV and he is only going to be making press release posts from now on and no longer do any more regular posting. I hope he reconsiders though.

Why is it 690$?

At the current conversion rate, 500 $ is 360 Euro. Add maybe approximately 40 Euro for shipping, and you still pay 100 bucks less.

I think the comment about Elfman singing in his car was a joke.

Probably, but I'm not entirely sure; Elfman sings his ideas to his cassette recorder. What could a 'worktape' be?

In the Music Behind the Magic set there are several worktapes which are basically a recording of Menken's brainstorming process. Like he'll say "Oh what if we did this..." and then play a tune on a piano and somebody else will say "oh let's change this..." I'd imagine that's what it'd be.

I watched Nightmare Before Christmas today with my daughter. It reminded me how much I would enjoy this set, especially the orchestra only versions. Then the reality that I'll never afford it crashed in.

Those orchestra only versions are a complete dream com true.

BTW your zombie graphic is unbelievably awesome.

Wow lonzoe1 is making a big stink about this set regarding the Batman material on FSM. It's apparently the last straw for MV and he is only going to be making press release posts from now on and no longer do any more regular posting. I hope he reconsiders though.

That guy is a horse's ass. Case in point in why I NEVER post on FSM. Worthless.

That guy is a horse's ass. Case in point in why I NEVER post on FSM. Worthless.

Actually the big stink he was making about was the fact that LLL didn't include synth mock ups for I think like 5 cues that are present on the Elfman / Burton set actually I think those mock ups he was talking about weren't even recorded.

No, the stink he was making because he read in a book about 5 cues that were recorded but dialed out in the film, but in actuality they were never even recorded at all and the book was wrong. And he kept claiming MV and LLL dropped the ball - total asshat.

That Batman set LLL put out is 100% complete and accurate, the only "new" things the Elfman / Burton box set offers are worktape versions of cues from Elfman's personal collection that MV & LLL wouldn't have even have had access to.

No, the stink he was making because he read in a book about 5 cues that were recorded but dialed out in the film, but in actuality they were never even recorded at all and the book was wrong. And he kept claiming MV and LLL dropped the ball - total asshat.

I was a bit close but ya that's basically what happened and he is an ass hat for being childish and acting that way towards MV.

That Batman set LLL put out is 100% complete and accurate, the only "new" things the Elfman / Burton box set offers are worktape versions of cues from Elfman's personal collection that MV & LLL wouldn't have even have had access to.

Yup LLL's set is definitely 100% complete.

The only part I'm confused about is the * next to "Attack Of The Batwing", It sounds like they just took some of the expanded material and mixed it into the old album, but we probably won't know for sure till the set comes out

Hey Koray, did you say they charged you for it already? Or was it just an authorization. I don't want any checks to bounce...

It's just an authorization, but in my account it still appears as a pending transaction. So instead of having $600 in my checking, it shows I have $50. This usually happens with SAE. I'll pre-ordered an Italian score, and the $40 charge or whatever it is shows up in my account, but a day or two later it disappears until they actually ship it. This so far has not disappeared.

Or maybe it's an actual charge. Nobody's required to wait until shipping to charge you. Most major vendors seem to have a charge when shipping policy, but that's their courtesy.

Most of us can't really afford this set. Those who have ordered it have A: A lot of money or B: are totally insane to spend that much on a set like this.

I definitely belong in the B category.

Or maybe it's an actual charge. Nobody's required to wait until shipping to charge you. Most major vendors seem to have a charge when shipping policy, but that's their courtesy.

I'm thinking it is, despite them saying they don't charge until it ships in their customer service policy. The transaction is still in my account. Please go away.

Why is it 690$?

At the current conversion rate, 500 $ is 360 Euro. Add maybe approximately 40 Euro for shipping, and you still pay 100 bucks less.

Customs, 20%, and small charges for the paperwork. And it's absolutely guaranteed that customs would pick a box of this size out.

Why don't we invite MV to start posting here instead of FSM? heh. I'm sure he'd like the atmosphere better. ;)

That's actually not a bad idea.

Perhaps a PM or e-mail then? His hints and clues and other postings and updates to me are quite wanted and desired by all of us here, am I right? It's always been so nice of him to do so. That's one of the things I liked about LaLaLand was to hear some kind of updates before things come out. Even if things get delayed, we know why. I hope we don't lose this.

I might get Pee-Wee, but not a $500 box.

For that price, it better come with the X1 with secret compartment containing the microfilm. The future of the free world is riding on this one.

Well....I've ordered it. I combined the purchase with someone from FSM. He payed $125, and for that he'll get the USP and I'll get the rest of the box. It's a pretty good deal I think, and it made this possible for me. I'm really excited for December. I'm going to be a little upset if Kraft releases cheaper versions of the scores once this pressing is sold out.

Oh yeah! I can't imagine it cost $125 to add the USB, so if they sold the sets without it they'd probably cost around 475. So I'm definitely glad they included a feature that allowed me to significantly reduce the price.

Well, I'm glad you were able to order it. I know you love The Nightmare Before Christmas as much as I do! I like the whole ava-signature thing you got going on, but the Johnny part kinda interferes with the autumn theme lol.

Well, I'm glad you were able to order it. I know you love The Nightmare Before Christmas as much as I do! I like the whole ava-signature thing you got going on, but the Johnny part kinda interferes with the autumn theme lol.

Yup, Nightmare, Pee Wee, and the music written for the box set are what I'm most excited for. Haha, yeah, I thought he might interfere a bit but I think it's worth establishing myself as someone who has faith in the modern Williams...that's important to me.

I'm not so much surprised that they included a USB drive, as that the executives allowed it to happen. Since when has a record label so openly encouraged customers to copy mp3s?

If they're properly encoded at 320k, it's a pretty useful feature; avoids all the ripping.

I betcha including that USB stick added a significant cost to the box set, not for the actual cost of the stick, but for the licensing fees the studios probably charged to allow their content to be on it.

Hopefully since they were open to the content being on the stick, the discs might show up on itunes and amazon mp3 store as well?

yeah....much too expensive for me. If something like this happened for Williams I would have to sell all my belongings.