Alan Silvestri's Predator

Jay

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This proves even more that Clemmensen is a complete damn idiot. So he's blaming Intrada for missing out on the Predator CD because he was with his wife while she was in labor?

Here's to a good beating of the pesky wife for this terrible calamity.

:lol:

Isn't the kid his fault because he resorted to his wife nine months ago instead of just a good beating?

Apparently, and much to the chagrin of my eyes, Filmtracks took your beating comments seriously.

And apparently every site is juvenille, except for them. I had to leave, my eyes were begging for mercy, so I may have misread some of the comments.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Well yesterday I redid my edit for Predator for my soon to be iPhone. There were a couple of things I noticed, two things were all ready mentioned but the third I don't think ever was.

1: We all know that "Girl's Escape" the last note was completely edited out.

2: The opening measure for "Blaine's Death" was also edited out and the edit for joining this cue with "Girl's Escape" is horrible.

3: The first 1:10 or so of "The Rescue and End Credits" from the Varèse set is completely absent from the Intrada set. I'm still curious as to why this was left off and I am also curious as to why they chose to edit out important notes from two cues.

While I am glad to have a better sounding version of Predator's score I'm a bit disappointed that it's not "complete" as they claim it is.

How much stuff do you re-edit Trent?

I generally only touch scores when there's a significant amount of wiggle between what's on album and what's in the film. I'd have thought an Intrada release wouldn't have many issues. To take an example, I haven't edited a thing in BTTF - just resequenced a few things.

Or by edit, do you just mean how you've arranged the tracks?

Well by re-edit, I had artificially boosted the sound on the score and since I had gotten proper earbuds that produced music naturally I went back and just redid edited it so it didn't have the artificial boost. I also used the "Alien Records" boot of the score to edit back in the missing notes from those two cues and separated cues properly that were meant to be separated.

3: The first 1:10 or so of "The Rescue and End Credits" from the Varèse set is completely absent from the Intrada set. I'm still curious as to why this was left off and I am also curious as to why they chose to edit out important notes from two cues.

Interesting, I wonder if it's because they stretched out the End Titles? I know some don't like to press CDs over 75 minutes.

Interesting, I wonder if it's because they stretched out the End Titles? I know some don't like to press CDs over 75 minutes.

That's possible. I can see why Varèse truncated the "End Credits" as it just loops itself. I would rather have the rest of the score accounted for if it meant truncating the "End Credits".

By the way thanks for moving my posts to the proper thread. I forgot there was an actual thread for this.

After reading Trent's post I went and looked at the track times for each disc and aside from the end titles the rest seem to match each other.

I would ask over at Intrada but lately they have gotten more agitated by certain nincompoops who speak before asking when it comes to CD problems.

Other than that one cue that's missing and the truncated notes for those two cues the rest of the score does practically match Varèse set.

Maybe whoever is friends with Roger on Facebook you guys can send him a private message inquiring about the editing decisions of those particular cues, rather than posting it on the forum.

I don't blame them for getting irritated lately about the idiots who post before they think.

Trent's right. The unused, original finale cue is COMPLETELY missing from the Intrada set!

Here's how the Varese and Intrade compare in the last track:

Varese:

0:00-1:06 (1:06) = The unused, original finale track

1:06-2:12 (1:06) = "The Pick-Up"

2:12-end (2:32) = "End Credits", full length

Intrada:

0:00-1:09 (1:09) = "The Pick-Up"

1:09-end (4:49) = "End Credits", looped to match the film.

By the way I always thought the "End Credits" on Intrada's set was looped and Jim Ware posted on FSM thinking the same thing. I opened up the track in Cool Edit and it definitely looks like a section was looped. It's wave form matches perfectly with a previous passage from earlier in the cue.

The section that appears to be looped is from 3:36-5:37. All though from 4:52 to the end is how it would have originally ended.

Ah that makes sense. I wish they had left the "End Credits" unedited. That way they could have presented "Girl's Escape" and "Blaine's Death" in their full form and also include that one cue they actually left out.

Part of me wonders if this is a situation where the missing music was even present on the new sources Intrada used.

I know Doug Fake had mentioned he made certain edits within the cues that are combined so that answers part of Trent's question.

Part of me wonders if this is a situation where the missing music was even present on the new sources Intrada used.

I don't see why it would be missing. They used the original session master elements as clearly stated in the beginning of the paragraph here:

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6708/.f

So it should have been there. I mean I could understand if they wanted to join "Girl's Escape" and "Blaine's Death" but they could have done it without truncating those two cues.

I don't see why it would be missing. They used the original session master elements as clearly stated in the beginning of the paragraphs here:

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6708/.f

So it should have been there. I mean I could understand if they wanted to join "Girl's Escape" and "Blaine's Death" but they could have done it without truncating those two cues.

No I mean the missing 1:30 of the pick up / end credits.

The other edits are just Doug's preference as a producer.

Something tells me we may not get an answer as to why the music is missing.

Okay the trumpet fanfare in "The Pick-Up" is actually tracked. This is what it says about that cue on the Varèse set which is actually called "The Rescue and End Credits".

"In the film Dutch's final appearance is tracked with Mac's trumpet theme (an effective reminder that Dutch has lost all his men) before segueing into the Main Title march for End Credits".

So the first 1:13 or so of "The Rescue and End Credits" is supposed to play out with a clean ending as evident on the Alien Records boot. Then the "End Credits" was to be a separate cue. The "End Credits" presented on the Varèse set (as well as the Alien Records boot) is how it was originally recorded but as stated by Mark O, Intrada looped a passage to match the film version.

I'm still curious as to why they left off that one important cue for the score.

By the way the only reference to the 3rd Alien film was the 20th Century Fox Fanfare which is actually never used in the movie at all. The version of the 20th Century Fox Fanfare on the Alien Records boot is the correct version.

The Alien Records boot does not have a 20th Century Fox Fanfare on it

Also, the Alien Records boots has a wrong, incomplete version of the End Credits

The inclusion of the Fox Fanfare (arr. E. Goldenthal) is and has always been a reference to the aborted Fox release of Die Hard and Predator which was due to open with it.

The Alien Records boot does not have a 20th Century Fox Fanfare on it

Also, the Alien Records boots has a wrong, incomplete version of the End Credits

Oh oops ya you're right. There was a deal I downloaded last night that had Predator 1 and 2 on it which was called "Alien Records". It included the correct version of the Fox Fanfare. Surprisingly enough though the "End Credits" was the length on the Intrada set but it could have been ripped from the DVD.

I think Intrada should explain to us why they didn't include Silvestri's original finale cue, and instead gave us a repeat of "He's Our Friend" in its place.

Well your post at Intrada has been viewed 111 times the last time I checked. Roger has posted in other threads during that time but no one has responded to your thread. I once asked a simple question about Jaws 3 that wasn't related to any music, but about one of the images used on the packaging. I never got a response.

Perhaps an email might get better results. I dunno.

It hasn't even been 24 hours yet, I am hopeful they will answer when they find time / get their notes together /etc

I imagine you mean that weird shark-eating-a-sandwich picture?

Maybe a member from California could walk into their Oakland store.

Yeah that's the picture.

I'd be careful, Doug is ex military and I believe he was a boxer during his stint as well. ;)

Yeah, I think a more "realistic" version would have been more appropriate. I know it's similar to the poster version but it looks like a goof. PC prevents me from using a better choice of words.

I figured it was either that or an aborted model for the original version of Jaws 3, which would have been the comedy spoof.

Back to Predator: I finished my spreadsheet

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?hl=en&hl=en&key=0AjiRtgP4_o4TdGdqalUxem0wZXZyZDQtUElxXzd1S1E&output=html

Couple of things I noticed:

1. 2m1 "What's He Got" has an additional 15 seconds of music on the end of the bootleg (where the cue is called "The Chopper") that doesn't exist on either the Varese or the Intrada!

2. It's not just "Girl's Escape / Blaine's Death" and "Billy and Predator" that have missing notes on the Intrada.... check out 5:29 of "Something Else / Cut 'Em Down / Payback Time", 0:56 of "We're Gonna Die", and 4:13 of "Predator Injured / Hand To Hand Combat"

3. There's a mysterious 12 second drum pattern that is placed in between 9m2 A. Builds Trap and 9m3/10m0 Off To Battle on both official releases! Check out 6:50-7:02 of the Varese track "Battle Plans" and 6:52-7:06 of the Intrada track "Dutch Builds Trap"

4. There's actually one spot on the Intrada where the segue was better than the Varese... check out 1:42 of Predator's Death on the Intrada compared to 1:42 of Predator's Big Finish on the Varese. However, both are incorrect and you still need the bootleg for a truly clean ending and opening.

Back to Predator: I finished my spreadsheet

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?hl=en&hl=en&key=0AjiRtgP4_o4TdGdqalUxem0wZXZyZDQtUElxXzd1S1E&output=html

Couple of things I noticed:

1. 2m1 "What's He Got" has an additional 15 seconds of music on the end of the bootleg (where the cue is called "The Chopper") that doesn't exist on either the Varese or the Intrada!

2. It's not just "Girl's Escape / Blaine's Death" and "Billy and Predator" that have missing notes on the Intrada.... check out 5:29 of "Something Else / Cut 'Em Down / Payback Time", 0:56 of "We're Gonna Die", and 4:13 of "Predator Injured / Hand To Hand Combat"

3. There's a mysterious 12 second drum pattern that is placed in between 9m2 A. Builds Trap and 9m3/10m0 Off To Battle on both official releases! Check out 6:50-7:02 of the Varese track "Battle Plans" and 6:52-7:06 of the Intrada track "Dutch Builds Trap"

4. There's actually one spot on the Intrada where the segue was better than the Varese... check out 1:42 of Predator's Death on the Intrada compared to 1:42 of Predator's Big Finish on the Varese. However, both are incorrect and you still need the bootleg for a truly clean ending and opening.

Ah at first I thought that #1 there wasn't anything missing then I heard the two passages and they're clearly different.

I think that "Grim Discovery" on the boot the title is correct for that.

#2: "Predator Injured / Hand To Hand Combat" actually the edit is at 5:54 the part at 4:13 is right.

#3: I think those drums are just unused bits that for some reason was never on the Alien Records boot.

#4: I had knew there was another spot that I knew the segue didn't sound right. Thanks for helping me remember! Thanks too for the spreadsheet.

Edit: You would think Doug Fake would have left these cues in tact. I know he said they were personal choices on his part but these just baffle me. Considering they released Back To The Future prior to this in full 100% form.