Alan Silvestri's Predator

Jay

Any_book always seems to have the highest price on Amazon. I believe I heard that when you buy from them, they don't actually have the item, but rather they buy one and resell it to you for the ridiculous price. So they aren't really to be taken seriously as a seller.

That sounds like BuySoundtrax.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any_book always seems to have the highest price on Amazon. I believe I heard that when you buy from them, they don't actually have the item, but rather they buy one and resell it to you for the ridiculous price. So they aren't really to be taken seriously as a seller.

How funny would it be if they couldn't get a copy themselves for under that ridiculous price.

Mark, they are talking about buying a CD from a individual with an Amazon Marketplace listing, not about buying books from Amazon straight up.

Just a misunderstanding of a deliberate misunderstanding here guys :) Mark was playing on the double meaning of the seller's name (Any book).

Yea I was just asking an honest question because I was confused. I don't know why Mark lashed out at me

Oops sorry, misread your post. Didn't see the "_" between Any & Book.

The only CD seller I mess with on Amazon is Gerry from Soundtrackers.

Mine arrived in today's mail!

The liner notes are very short... basically talking about the film for the first 2/3rds of the booklet, only getting to the score at the end, and then still not doing a full cue by cue analysis when they do.

Some interesting thing in the liner notes: "Girl's Escape / Blaine's Death" and "Billy and Predator" feature Dies Irae, and "He Was My Friend" was temp-tracked with Aaron Copland's "Fanefare For The Common Man". Silvestri "parodied" that, and McTiernan was pleased with the results.

Still no mention of where music where the Predator picks up the scorpion comes from.

I'll post more when I'm finished listening. I'm currently up to Girl's Death.

got mine today.

Although the liner notes are short, they are good.

Man, does it sound clear !!!!

The dynamic range is amazing. Sounds like it was recorded yesyerday.

Bravo Intrada. This is why I like these guys.

Still "pending fulfillment".... Hope they send it soon...

"Pending fulfillment." Never heard that before from any store I buy from. I love it. There's every man's life in two words.

What a great score! I had never listened to it outside the film before. Never bothered to get a footwarmer... It's a mental thing with me. If there's a score I really respect, I will often times hold out for an official copy. Glad I held out for this one.

The sound quality is wonderful, although I hear some significant hiss. If the Varese had more hiss, I think that would've bothered me.

The music is admittedly a lot to digest in one sitting, but I'm glad it's all there. With a few exceptions, Predator is more of a score of texture rather than individual setpieces. I guess I never realized how similar this score is to Back to the Future, but it's still it's own thing. I really love the Jungle Trek cue - it reminds me a lot of JW's Lost World. The jagged rhythms and brass in that track are unpredictably amazing.

One last thing I maybe would've like to have on a Predator CD, and this may be controversial... a few sound effects as easter eggs at the end would've been cool. Not a lot of them like on ST: Generations, but just a few signatures. The film had such amazing sound design. The "Predator-eye-cam" view always had a throbbing rhythm to it, which I always considered having a musical quality, almost part of the score itself. I can hear the disc ending with the Predator's gutteral rattling.

One last thing I maybe would've like to have on a Predator CD, and this may be controversial... a few sound effects as easter eggs at the end would've been cool. Not a lot of them like on ST: Generations, but just a few signatures. The film had such amazing sound design. The "Predator-eye-cam" view always had a throbbing rhythm to it, which I always considered having a musical quality, almost part of the score itself. I can hear the disc ending with the Predator's gutteral rattling.

That's a pretty cool idea. I was watching Predator 2 on BD and I love how they include those sound effects on the Java menus. The music and the sound effects have a cohesive harmony that's particularly memorable.

So it's gone already? :)

Karol

Yep :(

I'd love to know the specifics about this, and why Intrada thought 3000 was enough, or if that was what they were restricted to.

You're not going to get a straight up answer, none of the labels really like to go into the actual details.

Doug Fake does address some of the issues but does not pinpoint any specific points over at the Predator release thread at Intrada.

Yeah they've underestimated it. (So did I; didn't think this would sell out in a year.) If it had been in the contract, Doug would have said that.

Doug actually stated on the forums that he underestimated the demand, partially based on the 3000 CDs already released by Varese.

I'd love it if Intrada made a second run on this, so that more people can get ahold of it. The sound quality is fantastic.

Count me in for a second run as well, it'd definitely sell. Then afterwards you'd get a shit storm of bitching at FSM about how limited doesn't mean limited anymore and those who bought 20 copies are now screwed.

I too am in for second runs if that means people who missed out on the first pressing can get a copy if they want. I hate those that bitch and moan when a second run of a limited pressing is made because there was such a demand for it.

Count me in for a second run as well, it'd definitely sell. Then afterwards you'd get a shit storm of bitching at FSM about how limited doesn't mean limited anymore and those who bought 20 copies are now screwed.

I reckon it'd sell out just as fast. The speculators seem desperate to hoard this particular title and hold it to ransom.

Screwed temporarily. A second run would just encourage more speculators to buy them up, and the first-run Intrada hoarders would just have to hold onto them longer, until next year or so, before they put them onto the market. It'll take them longer than they expected to make an ROI, but they'll make it, and how.

As much as I'd wish they'd made more, I'm not sure laying the blame at Intrada's feet is the right thing to do. I think it should be directed more at the "fans" who buy multiples. I'm undecided on whether or not there should be a limit per customer. It'd be nice if Intrada did do a second run, but I don't think they will.

I have a strong suggestion for Bart Simpsons blackboard writing: MY LIFE WILL NOT BE HARMED BY NOT OWNING OUTSOLD FILMSCORE CD'S!

If not for the hilarious video with the Britney fan crying her brains out, i'd say i seldom seen human beings as pathetic as filmscore nerds, who for whatever reason act as if they just lost a close relative because they were not able to acquire a physical cd. Download it, man! Buy it for outrageous prices on eBay if you desperately need it sealed, but really....

:lol:

Download it, man! Buy it for outrageous prices on eBay if you desperately need it sealed, but really....

So based on that logic, we should all just wait for every limited soundtrack to go OOP, and then download it like mad from the internets? Hmmm...

What a thoroughly immature response from Thaxton.

To be fair to Intrada, they did put a 1 per customer limit on Predator when it got low. Perhaps they should've put that into effect at a higher quantity when they realised it was going fast.

But I can't think of a recent title that sold out so fast. a few days to a week maybe, but not 24 hours across the board. It sounds like this was a simple underestimation of demand, and the current marketing tactic made things a bit worse.

Download it, man! Buy it for outrageous prices on eBay if you desperately need it sealed, but really....

So based on that logic, we should all just wait for every limited soundtrack to go OOP, and then download it like mad from the internets? Hmmm...

No, you can also download it when it's still in print, but that's besides the point. If a person for whatever reason cannot buy or afford a soundtrack release, it's not the end of the world. That was the message, in plain and rather understandable english.

If it's gets sold out, i dont see how this can damage the label's sales...

In this case, it would be a hard blow in the face to speculators if nobody bought them any Predator CD. They would think twice next time...

No need to become aggravated. I use the idea of OOP as excuse to have a few albums that I didn't want to pay an independent speculator an outrageous sum for, but was quite pleased to give Intrada $23.49 for this latest round of Predator.

The idea that a soundtrack label would restrict the number you could buy to 1 is dangerous. I want to buy a second copy as a gift, to archive it unopened, or to be "legal" about having one copy at home and one copy at work or for my classroom, if I'm a teacher. Do I have to use a second credit card? What if I have a roommate or spouse with the same soundtrack collecting obsession, and they notice we have the same mailing address because I placed one order to combine shipping?

Besides, even if the labels limit our purchases to 1 apiece, I can buy anything from SAE, Intrada, Varese, LaLaLand, MovieMusic, and Buysoundtrax, among others. Six vendors at one apiece means that a limited release of 3000 units could still be restricted to as few as 500 persons. Will these vendors pool their information together as a giant collective to bar people from buying another copy from a different vendor, based on username, credit card, or shipping address?

In reading that you would think Clemmensen was the baby his wife gave birth to.

Sounds like he's got more of a personal beef with Intrada for other reasons.

And I don't think that's really Ford replying.

I would suggest if anyone doesn't like what the labels do and put their money where there mouth is. Open their own label and see how "easy" it would be to press 5000 copies of every release and then find themselves out of business a year later like some of the other labels who felt they could release a ton of film scores without limiting their quantities (I believe Chapter III comes to mind).

For every Predator there are 7-10 releases that are just as good from a musical perspective, that still sit on the shelf.

Besides there was plenty of "warning" it would be Predator, everyone knows Intrada's release date and frankly if life interferes with your soundtrack collecting then maybe your priorities are mixed up or you need to make other arrangements.

Anyone with good business sense would tell you it's ridiculous to limit quantities right off the bat.

This proves even more that Clemmensen is a complete damn idiot. So he's blaming Intrada for missing out on the Predator CD because he was with his wife while she was in labor? That's the most absurd thing I've read from him.

He definitely should have at least a friend order him a copy then he could have paid him back. This is another reason why I dislike Clemmensen.

This proves even more that Clemmensen is a complete damn idiot. So he's blaming Intrada for missing out on the Predator CD because he was with his wife while she was in labor?

Here's to a good beating of the pesky wife for this terrible calamity.

:lol: