What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

The Boxtrolls by Dario Marianelli. Again, I know. But then it's probably the closest thing to a John Williams score this year. Not necessarily in his classic era but parallels with The Adventures of Tintin can be made, surely. Same sort of classical symphonic style with some quirky instrumental touches and great thematic development. Surprised nobody talks about this.

Karol

The Boxtrolls by Dario Marianelli. Again, I know. But then it's probably the closest thing to a John Williams score this year. Not necessarily in his classic era but parallels with The Adventures of Tintin can be made, surely. Same sort of classical symphonic style with some quirky instrumental touches and great thematic development. Surprised nobody talks about this.

Karol

I bought it based on all the positive talk here and was underwhelmed. Only gave it a passing listen though. Need to spin it again.

Karol

I bought it based on all the positive talk here and was underwhelmed. Only gave it a passing listen though. Need to spin it again.

But then, you didn't like The Adventures of Tintin either, did you? I guess this is a matter of preference, really. From a technical standpoint of traditional composition and orchestration, this score is absolutely ahead of most competition. Easily. Brilliant in the film as well.

Karol

I've been listening to that score lately. It's excellent from a technical standpoint. Marianelli's finest action writing, colourfully done with some fine-tuned orchestration. But underwhelming is still the feeling I get as well. I feel this score may have benefitted from a stronger melodic presence for its themes, than his usual subtler motivic writing. And this score is missing the big set-pieces that tied Tintin together so nicely.

Regardless, it's missing something to make me love it entirely. But it may be too early to tell, as you so aptly put it, his scores are growers.

It might be all true. But the main theme is absolutely gorgeous. And a perfect choice for this time of a year. In the long run, I might prefer this work to some of more acclaimed drama works of maestro (some of them).

:music:Stepmom

Karol

George and the Dragon - Gast Waltzing

At its best, Waltzing is channeling Patrick Doyle but with his own flair (especially in "Battle of the Pics" and "George and the King"), with a bit of John Barry woven in. The love theme for the princess is glorious, with the female soprano -- especially in "Search Loona" and "Meet Princess". When Waltzing keeps up the orchestral adventure ruckus, it remains very enjoyable. The modern percussion in cues like "Intro" do a disservice to this very fine score otherwise.

I really have to commend the Luxembourg Philharmonic Orchestra, the players are put through their paces and the quality of the performances rival that of London and Los Angeles. Magnificent.

1404122413_drakula.jpg

DRACULA UNTOLD - Ramin Djawadi

Depressing hackwork that seems to wear its lack of any musical finesse or indeed just of any engaging idea, however small, like a badge of honour.

1404122413_drakula.jpg

DRACULA UNTOLD - Ramin Djawadi

Depressing hackwork that seems to wear its lack of any musical finesse or indeed just of any engaging idea, however small, like a badge of honour.

That is Djawadi for you. Or possibly Djawadi and the makers of the film.

It might be still a tad too early... but I'm now listening to Alan Silvestri's A Christmas Carol. It might not be exactly very fresh in its approach but makes for an excellent disc. It has everything - some terror, comedy, air of wonder and mystery, some action even. And main theme is absolutely fantastic, one of the more memorable themes this composer has ever written. On top of that, well balanced album listening experience contains pretty much everything one might need from this score and still not outstay its welcome. Will be listened to a lot in the coming months.

Next up... E.T. (superior original album)

Karol

Are you using it on the kiddo's?

:lol:

Lovely parenting and conditioning if he does. They'll thank him later!

Star Trek - Giacchino

OK, this is a fine score (speaking for the 45 minute album here), however I have some issues with the mixing, certain parts are too soft, like lacking in power. Don't know if this was a conscious decision but it's certainly noticeable.

I prefer this to the sequel score by a mile and I have no need for the expandeds of either Trek. Sometimes it goes to show that short albums such as this one is what Giacchino should put together and not his usual longer presentations. Not everything works better expanded or on two discs.

Lethal Weapon 3 - Kamen & Clapton & Sanborn

Musically it's absolutely the most fun and exciting of all 4 for me, and this one nicely spreads out all the good stuff over the entire runtime of the disc, not like LW2 at all.

What makes this score, and the 4th one too, so much fun is the intricate interplay between the themes (and solo instruments) that follow their characters on screen.

There is no clear musical progression, it's really writing to what the situation of the scene demands and how the characters act. The old style of scoring so to speak, only done in true Kamen style.

Sometimes it's a stroke of genius the way he crafts his cues around the character themes. It's exactly by listening the scores away from the film I can hear how much thought has gone into it.

LW3 has a nice mix of comedy, action and drama, true to the style and atmosphere of the film, just wanting the audience / listener to have a super duper time.

Like with Die Hard, Kamen was able to give these films a musical identity. Who can imagine any other kind of score in these flicks? Anything other than this would simply be not as good or memorable.

So I give this one a 4 out of 5, it has so much good ideas going for it, I couldn't give it any less.

Karol

I still haven't heard the original album. I'm fine with the 2002 expansion.

The original album is a completely different experience. To me it's richer and more rounded. And there's loads of material on the OST that the expansions don't have.

Karol

The original album is a completely different experience. To me it's richer and more rounded. And there's loads of material on the OST that the expansions don't have.

It seems most of the original album is made up of nearly what sounds like concert versions of the material heard in the actual film score but it is indeed a fantastic album. Entirely different experience but a highly focused concept album.

Medal of Honor: European Assault by Christopher Lennertz: While broadly in the same style as Giacchino's preceding scores this music tries very hard and has some excellent moments but on the whole is rather middle of the road work despite the rather big orchestra and choir employed. It shows Lennertz grasp of the orchestra and he does do some nice allusions to different ethnic sounds like the emblematic male chorus for the Soviets and even quotes Giacchino's Nazi theme from the previous scores but some emotional spark is missing while as I said the music tries hard, perhaps too hard, to achieve it. Still a very solid effort and an entertaining listen just the same.

It's perfect, apart from the fact that I'd rather have Over the Moon be the final track (instead of penultimate). The expanded release is good for its inclusion of darker stuff (which is good) but the short album flows much better.

Karol

It's perfect, apart from the fact that I'd rather have Over the Moon be the final track (instead of penultimate). The expanded release is good for its inclusion of darker stuff (which is good) but the short album flows much better.

Karol

I am very glad to have both. Some kind of complete release containing the complete score (which we still don't have grrrr) and the OST album would be more than welcome.

Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend - Goldsmith

I love its charmingly playful nature and Rambo-esque action music.

One would need a heart of stone to not fall in love with the theme for the baby dino.

Jerry's creativity knew no bounds during that fertile period.

4 out of 5

Listened to some of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy and then Raise the Titanic. The latter one of those scores that elevates far beyond the movie which I suppose wasn't too hard. Shame, Richard Jordan was a favourite of mine. Still would like some proper effort of the book. Never happen for many reasons. Anyway...Memories of Titanic is fantastic and though the main theme gets a couple of airings, the way it comes along in "Russian Threat/Titanic Enters New York Harbour" is something else in this reporters book.

King of Kings.

Karol

Knowing you, I think you would end up mostly preferring the OST.

Star Trek - Giacchino

OK, this is a fine score (speaking for the 45 minute album here), however I have some issues with the mixing, certain parts are too soft, like lacking in power. Don't know if this was a conscious decision but it's certainly noticeable.

I prefer this to the sequel score by a mile and I have no need for the expandeds of either Trek. Sometimes it goes to show that short albums such as this one is what Giacchino should put together and not his usual longer presentations. Not everything works better expanded or on two discs.

I prefer the "expandeds".

and I prefer Into Darkness, much more "intelligent" and better mixing.

It's not an action score, but what action music there is is on a solid third place behind Rambo II and Total Recall.

And it has the Braveheart theme.

There's still Rambo III to consider, which is excellent in the action department (or all departments if I'm being honest)

Can't say I've ever heard the Braveheart theme in Baby though... :mellow:

Lethal Weapon 4 - Kamen & Clapton & Sanborn

First off, the action music is great, the Butters theme (a harmonica) is a nice touch, especially when combined with those of the other characters.

However, there seem to be less moments of that aspect or humour in the music in the fourth.

The problem with LW4 it has its moments, but as the film was so densely scored, almost the entire runtime, it's not all as interesting or fun.

Also a lot of the exciting stuff is mostly recycled from the earlier scores. But it's most welcome as the rest isn't nearly as good.

The film remains a lot of fun and contains many of my favourite character moments of the series.

But the score while good and appropriate is just a tad too long, a bit dull and recyled at moments.

All in all it's still a worthwhile 3.5 out of 5 stars.

There's still Rambo III to consider, which is excellent in the action department (or all departments if I'm being honest)

Rambo III is a great score that's seriously harmed by the lousy orchestra performance. A Tadlow rerecording would be great.

Can't say I've ever heard the Braveheart theme in Baby though... :mellow:

Listen to the string counterpoint at 2:42 in The Rescue. ;)

Of course, Mars also shows up in The Jump.