What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

krullsoundtrack.jpg

A score for which the following emoticon was created : :rock:

I had never heard a single second of Krull before buying the SuperTracks release which was in 1998.

It has been a love affair ever since, 90 minutes of Horner excellence.

I don't think I have to convince anyone of that fact. :D

Spider-Man 3 - Christopher Young

It's still a damn shame Sony won't give this a proper release. When you remove the temp-tracking and re-recordings of Elfman's themes by John Debney and Deborah Lurie -- and focus on Young's score that remains -- it's a strong effort. And some of his rejected themes were beautiful, especially the Peter and MJ one.

I love the near complete score that was leaked. I agree it's a shame that Sony won't give it a proper release. I know Christopher Young wants it released but he refuses to trim out the Elfman material. That's the main back bone of his score and personally I like Young's score the best of the bunch.

I'm glad he doesn't, some of his best cues in SM-3 cleverly incorporate fragments of Elfman's themes. You have other studios willing to pay licensing fees to use pre-establishing material in movies and subsequent soundtrack releases, i.e. Elfman's theme in The Simpsons Movie, John Williams' themes in Superman Returns, et al. Why Sony doesn't want to do it for Young's SM-3 score smacks of pettiness and spite.

Maybe we'll get an official 2-CD release from Intrada somewhere down the line, like with The Core.

QV2.jpg

To hear such a score from time to time is a delight. It's a bit long to take it all in one sitting though, because it's no El Cid.

The explosive tracks are simply superb, yet in between those there's an underscore which is interesting, but not always grabbing my attention.

The 'songs' and bombastic fanfares are what jumps out in this stellar sounding set.

And I love the concert suite at the end which is a totally excellent bonus !

Another example of The Prague Philharmonic sounding spectacular when it comes to re-recordings.

Quo Vadis has my favourite Rozsa prelude. The majesty is just sublime!

But yes, the real highlights of the score lie in its more intimate approach.

Quo Vadis was worth buying it a third time (Prometheus) as it seemed like the definitive version.

I already had the shorter Vocalion release, coupled with Ben Hur.

And before that an even shorter portion on 'Three Choral Suites' (Kunzel).

I tend to prefer the Vocalion, for a short but satisfying listen.

Meaning you don't really get a sense of the scope and breath of the score by the original album alone?

Meaning if you think the album is nice but don't understand all the fuzz everyone makes about it, you don't need the full score?

Or is it more of a Die Hard 2 situation?

QV2.jpg

To hear such a score from time to time is a delight. It's a bit long to take it all in one sitting though, because it's no El Cid.

The explosive tracks are simply superb, yet in between those there's an underscore which is interesting, but not always grabbing my attention.

The 'songs' and bombastic fanfares are what jumps out in this stellar sounding set.

Another example of The Prague Philharmonic sounding spectacular when it comes to re-recordings.

I couldn't work it out at first but he looks like he has a big sausage sticking out of his pants.

QV2.jpg

I couldn't work it out at first but he looks like he has a big sausage sticking out of his pants.

It's quite obvious when seen in thumbnail size :) I had enver noticed it

QV2.jpg

Now I can't unsee it.

QV2.jpg

That's Ancient Rome for you!

Great score despite the lewd front cover. Some of Rózsa's best music. And the re-recording is beautifully done. I really like how the composer basically invented what Roman world of the time should sound like and it has been more or less the mold of these sword and sandal epics. Until 2000s that is. After that it has been all duduk and wailing women and historical authenticity in instrumentation. Look how badly Jeff Beal's score for e.g. television series Rome turned out. Can people even remember it?

QV2.jpg

Now I can't unsee it.

Blame me for posting that pic !!! :blush:

Of course. He has a wife, you know. You know what she's called? She's called... 'Incontinentia'... Incontinentia Buttocks.

I've been listening to the first hour of DESTINY, the new score by Marty O'Donnell and Mike Salvatori. It's pretty good. Some heroic moments, some exciting action music, some electronic ambience, some vocal interludes, and not a Halo reference in sight. Which is also good. After I've listened to it the whole way through, the album will surely need some trimming but having this much music available that isn't your generic background video game score is a good thing.

Did I mention it's good? :)

Kundun by Philip Glass

Yup. Always hits the right spot.

One of the very best scores on the 90's. I specially fond of the second track. It takes you places

I listened to Elfman's Batman scores back to back numerous times today. It'd been a while. I do love them both. I was surprised as I listened to Returns and realized I knew every note from beginning to end.

As some people may remember, I said a few weeks ago that I was planning on watching all first 10 Star Trek films as well as listening to their scores (I am completely unfamiliar with all of them). And so it begins with Star Trek - The Motion Picture...

r72NroG.png

Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Jerry Goldsmith (1979)

All three releases (might as well do this properly!).

Is it the best film score even written? Far from it, I say. Is it a good score? Of course! I like all three sides of it (the adventurous music led by the Enterprise theme, the more atmospheric cues for V’Ger and the romantic material for Ilia and Decker). The Enterprise theme is of course fantastic (even though in many cues, the statements are all quite similar) and probably Goldsmith's best. I especially love the statement in the The Meld. The V’Ger music was another favourite of mine (but the blaster beam didn’t win me over). It’s deliciously creepy and pitch perfect when combined with the visuals. Then there’s Ilia’s theme, which possibly offers the most interesting aspect of that score. Indeed, one thing I particularly liked is how Ilia’s theme gradually morphs into V’Ger theme, and how the two themes basically “meld” at the end of the score. It’s really a great example of a theme evolving and being developed to its full potential. The cameos of the TV series' theme are another highlight, along with the Klingons' theme (which, if I understand correctly, Goldsmith reused later in the series), even if this one is a bit basic.

The score does feel a bit samey-samey in its middle section, and the blaster beam is a bit too present to my liking in the final cues, but the quality of the music remains consistent throughout the entire score, and there is some gorgeous music in there.

Yeah, I liked that one very much.

8/10

About the various releases: I thought the original release was a pretty good representation of the score. It featured most of the major cues from it, and presented all the three sides of the score I mentioned above. A problem this release had though is that the Enterprise theme covered a lot of the running time, and all of its statements were quite similar (Main Title, The Enterprise, Leaving Drydock, End Title) so as a result, it felt a bit (a lot?) repetitive. The Sony expanded release fixed that, by offering some nice new material and by giving the score room to breathe. Ilia’s theme was better represented too, thanks to cues like Games and Inner Workings. Overall, it was a better release than the previous one (and I think it’s the one I preferred of the three, too). The La-La-Land release, while absolutely fantastic if seen as an archival release or if you’re an absolutely fan of the score, feels like an overkill to me. I mean, the Main Theme appears about 10 times, all quite similar. Most of the alternate cues aren’t quite different from the versions that appeared in the film (at least, as far as I could tell), and I didn’t care much about the Blaster Beams tracks or the songs. The only really interesting thing about that set was the unused early score, which offered some nice “rough draft” of the final cues, and is great way to see how a film score evolves.

How many times did you listen to these various releases?