What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

ab67616d0000b2735ef496e830bd73cd87c65991

Excellent bleak, chamber orchestra-style thriller score from 2011 with bits of Herrmann and 70s "moods". As I've said before, Mark is one of our most talented composers (I believe he used to post here once?), but sadly underused. No doubt due to the fact that he's stationed in Kristiansand in the South with limited film production. This is on Spotify, for anyone interested.

20 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Bad Girls.jpg

A really nice Goldsmith's score, don't know if the movie is any good though

Take a guess.

175421-max-richter-la-prima-linea.jpg

Pretty standard Richter right in the wake of his film breakthrough with WALTZ WITH BASHIR, with lots of static and circular movements, but standard Richter is better than most other things, so I'm not complainin'. 

R-7007567-1431632365-2357.jpeg.jpg

Leave it to Morricone to sound absolutely nothing like his Japanese colleagues (Takemitsu, Hayasaka, Sato etc.) when writing the music for this 2003 samurai series. But absolutely like himself and some Italian drama. Still, great score.

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow 

The Core

The Matrix Reloaded

The Matrix Revolutions

Early to mid 00s - last time in Hollywood history film scores in big blockbusters were allowed to be music. 

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Early to mid 00s - last time in Hollywood history film scores in big blockbusters were allowed to be music.

It's a big generality here. What about the recent SW scores, Endgame, HTTYD, Ant-Man, Coco and so many other? There's still plenty of great composer who succeed to make "real music" in blockbusters.

50 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

It's a big generality here. What about the recent SW scores, Endgame, HTTYD, Ant-Man, Coco and so many other? There's still plenty of great composer who succeed to make "real music" in blockbusters.

Perhaps. But once you compare it to that period where you had more adventurous SW prequels scores, LOTR, first 3 Harry Potters, The Matrix trilogy, Elfman's Spider-Man, JNH's Disney and early Shyamalan scores... and some other standalone works...plus having Horner and late Goldsmith still wth us... There's no competition, dude. This was the last burst of personality in big movie scoring. 

And yes, John Williams still delivers solid work. But he stopped being inventive by the time 2005 ended thus ending one of his nost interesting decades (1995-2005). His SW sequels are very enjoyable but tad too safe. 

It might be a matter of age but for me Hollywood film music mostly died around 2005. There are smaller things here and there but nothing major. 

Karol

4 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Perhaps. But once you compare it to that period where you had more adventurous SW prequels scores, LOTR, first 3 Harry Potters, Elfman's Spider-Man, JNH's Disney and early Shyamalan scores... and some other standalone works...plus having Horner and late Goldsmith still wth us... There's no competition, dude. This was the last burst of personality in big movie scoring. 

Karol

I agree that there's no competition between the 00' and now but that doesn't mean that there ain't a thing left anymore. Williams, Powell, Silvestri, Beck and even Giacchino for exemple are the proof that there is still personality in big movie scoring even though they've became more rare

You sure picked 8 great scores from 1989 to listen to! 

My favorites from that year you didn't listen to include Star Trek 5, The Burbs, License To Kill, Honey I Shrunk The Kids... And Tango and Cash! 

I picked Glory!

Geez, I passed from 1987 to 1989!!! What's wrong with me?

1988 was a so forgettable year!  :lol:

From 1988 I like Die Hard, Willow, Beetlejuice, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Midnight Run, The Accidental Tourist, Scrooged... and The Naked Gun! 

R-9977467-1489554874-2795.jpeg.jpg

One of the great, unheralded film composers of France (of his generation) - although doing only very sporadic things in the last 15 years. I first encountered his name in JEAN DE FLORETTE and CYRANO DE BERGERAC on television in the early 90s, like many others, but this is a great overview disc of his other great work as well.

Bridge of Spies.jpg

A really good score from Newman which doesn't make me regret too much the absence of JW. I find Newman really succeed to capture Spielberg's style without trying to be a pale imitation of the Maestro. It's really make me wonder how he would deal with a SW movie or show, some very good things would certainly pop up.

17 minutes ago, Bespin said:

My own "1988" Part I & II

Peut être une image de 5 personnes et texte

Peut être une image de texte

(My copy of Midnight Run was purchased in FLACs!)

I've never really listen to Cocoon: The Return. How is it compare to the first one?

Great selection though

Horner was going through his most inspired era of his career in the late 1980s. The Land Before Time and Willow* are two of his very best scores, and Coccoon II is pretty good too (though the first one is better).

*Where's the expansion?

11 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

I've never really listen to Cocoon: The Return. How is it compare to the first one?

Great selection though

I don't know, I don't listen to them, I just take pictures of the covers!

7 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I don't know, I don't listen to them, I just take pictures of the covers!

All those disc just to take a picture of four covers on your sumptuous tile! That's a really expensive hobby you have! :P

Ford v Ferrari.jpg

A really nice score from on of my favourite 2019 movie. It was a damn good surprise

Watched The Most Dangerous Game from 1932. I love the story and the film. Its scrumptious black and white and the art decorations is excellent. 

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

Watched The Most Dangerous Game from 1932. I love the story and the film. Its scrumptious black and white and the art decorations is excellent. 

The original Battle Royale/The Hunger Games/The Hunt.

R-1447168-1220401672.jpeg.jpg

Perfect for a Sunday morning. The earliest Preisner I have (in terms of his film music, anyway). Aching, spacey melancholy with shimmering flutes....nobody does it better.

10 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Enjoyable in a “not quite as good as James Horner” kind of way. 

8BE19292-5B62-445E-8E7A-21A69F0AE2FD.jpeg

Ps. Does anyone know where the bonus tracks fit into the main body of the score (not that the bonus tracks are super exciting…).

Hercules (FYC Album).jpg

A really different score from what I'm used to with Velazquez. I don't really find that the RCP style suit him well but it's stay enjoyable enough so I won't complain too much about it.

However the edit in the FYC is really awful, there are large blanks in the middle of the music sometimes for no reason other than keeping the film continuity.

Legends of the Fall (James Horner) - perhaps the only generally considered top Horner score that I’ve never loved quite as much as everyone else. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great score, but I’d probably take Braveheart in preference, all that misty Scottish atmosphere and more anguished tone make it a much more interesting listen for me. But hey, Legends is great too and full of terrific themes. It’s the kind of film made for Horner.

Enemy at the Gates (James Horner) - full on James Horner does Shostakovich meets Schindler’s List epic score. Not sure if this counts as underrated but it’s a really great score. The recent Movie Wave review suggests that it has some Mahler references in there too but I have that admit I can’t hear them (and I’m massive Mahler fan). Anyone know what they might be?

In the Army Now (Robert Folk) - fun, typically exciting military score from Folk. How did he never get m/any decent assignments?! Ok so the main theme sounds like the B section from the Raiders March but so does the theme from The Last Starfighter… great fun.

2 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

The recent Movie Wave review suggests that it has some Mahler references in there too but I have that admit I can’t hear them (and I’m massive Mahler fan). Anyone know what they might be?

I've never heard it, aside from a clip or two, but supposedly it also quotes Bruckner's 4th. Not sure if it's the same bit he quotes in Perfect Storm.

10 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Enemy at the Gates (James Horner) - full on James Horner does Shostakovich meets Schindler’s List epic score. Not sure if this counts as underrated but it’s a really great score. The recent Movie Wave review suggests that it has some Mahler references in there too but I have that admit I can’t hear them (and I’m massive Mahler fan). Anyone know what they might be?

Probably the Schindler/Mahler connection, which is Enemy's main theme (though stylistically, the uber-dramatics of Betrayal also reek of Mahler):

10 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I've never heard it, aside from a clip or two, but supposedly it also quotes Bruckner's 4th. Not sure if it's the same bit he quotes in Perfect Storm.

I’ll have to dig out Bruckner 4 then. Not as familiar with his symphonies as Mahler.

2 hours ago, publicist said:

Probably the Schindler/Mahler connection, which is Enemy's main theme (though stylistically, the uber-dramatics of Betrayal also reek of Mahler):

That kinda makes sense. Although feels a bit more tenuous to be fair. I have to admit that i never much cared for Mahler 8 hence why I may not have spotted it. Never would imagined a John Williams theme inspired by another work and made more subtle by JW! Thank you both!

Now playing…. Poltergeist. A Jerry classic. What can you say?! Oddly one I didn’t enjoy that much originally but definitely grown on me. Super stuff.

I spent my weekend with:

High Road to China by John Barry - Another epic, sweeping score from him, with a great main theme.

The Package by James Newton Howard - Surprisingly effective action/suspense score from a pre-Prince of the Tides JNH.

Romancing the Stone by Alan Silvestri - Interesting mix of Horner's 48 Hours with Silvestri's own brand of action music.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

The Package by James Newton Howard - Surprisingly effective action/suspense score from a pre-Prince of the Tides JNH.

It has its moments, but there are other pre-PRETTY WOMAN (which is where I draw the line) scores that I prefer more. Especially FLATLINERS and PROMISED LAND.

24 minutes ago, Thor said:

It has its moments, but there are other pre-PRETTY WOMAN (which is where I draw the line) scores that I prefer more. Especially FLATLINERS and PROMISED LAND.

Never heard those, although to be honest I'm not much of a fan of JNH's early years. It's on my to do list to explore his pre-Pretty Woman scores.

16 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Never heard those, although to be honest I'm not much of a fan of JNH's early years. It's on my to do list to explore his pre-Pretty Woman scores.

Tbh, of the 3-5 scores JNH did per year between 1985 and 1995, very few are of much interest. Falling Down is his best *mature* work of these years, Alive, Wyatt Earp, Intersection and Waterworld are good to very good. The Fugitive i never did connect to, but it's rated highly, so be it. He came into his own with the mid to late 90's only.