What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

You can do that yourself to any score, regardless of how many or few tracks the creator makes.

Yup but I am lazy and would also love to name tracks something other than track 3 Part IV. Since I have no great affection for the film itself I can't be bothered to watch the movie to find out where the separate cues go and where should I divide the longer tracks.

To your left, a rock, and on your right, a hard place. Enjoy the view. :whistle:

Yes a prison of my own making if there ever was one.

Um... no. But I think it is the strongest Giacchino album. Has a certain dramatic depth, which is far to come by in video game scores. Did you ever give it a try?

Karol

Only when I played the game about ten years ago. I remember all of Gia's various WWII game music pretty well; in that I remember thinking it was novel at the time - "hey, they're using stirring orchestral music in a video game, cool!"

It went no further than that, because even then it felt rather shallow and by-the-numbers. Yeah, I much prefer Jeremy Soule's Company of Heroes music.

Never played any of the games, but the album is surprisingly coherent and well constructed. Feels more like a film score in this sense. If there is one Giacchino CD which I would recommend to someone who generally doesn't like him, then it would be this one. While the first two scores felt like a light-hearted pastiche of Williams (in a way), this one elevates the series into more dramatic heights.

Karol

Oh BTW Frankenstein is amazing. It's almost like a concert piece. There is this operatic and grand feel to it. I can now see why modern Doyle doesn't excite as many people. It was a well spent 1 penny (that's how much I paid for it).

Karol

When I hear all these scherzos and Nazi theme, I immediately think Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. It's not like I don't enjoy them, but the real Michael Giacchino for me starts to emerge in Frontline, and then is fully formed by Airborne. You can then hear his very specific harsh orchestrations and all that. I can then say: that's him and no one else.

Karol

Not quite...

That was like Hans Zimmer meets Danny Elfman meets James Horner. It was chaos, but I might be in agreement with it. Needs more time...

That's more like the Doyle I know - lush strings and nice enough, but never quite tickling my fancy. Again though, it could be a grower.

EPCOT Center's 1982 entrance medley. Musically inspiring all to be forward-thinking and optimistic like EPCOT Center itself. To believe in the promise of tomorrow. There is, after all, a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day.

Ghost Protocol - Michael Giacchino

The Kremlin with anticipation theme sounds a bit like the Romulan theme from Balance of Terror....

Listening to Christopher Young's awesome score for Bless the Child. A haunting score that is truly impressive. Lux Aterna is freakin awesome!!!

It is a terrific score but I would have personally liked for Young to divide the music into more tracks so that navigating to your favourite part of the score would be a bit easier.

I personally really enjoy the symphony like arrangement of the score. But if you're just stopping by for a short visit for highlights, then I can see the problem.

Giacchino's MOH scores are just that, Giacchino's. None of it sounds like Williams honestly, and I never understood the "pastiche" comparisons. All four of the scores are brilliant.

The first score has some very clear Williams' inspirations, but the rest of the scores are clearly Giacchino. But as you said, the first three (the fourth one was good but didn't quite live up to its predecessors) scores are brilliant :D

How did you find Christopher Lennertz's scores?

I didn't really appreciate Airborne the first time I heard it, but coming back to it with the LLL box set and listening to all his scores in order - it was like hearing a completely different score. The level of development and orchestration from older themes blew me away.

Lennertz did probably the best job that could have been expected. I really love Rising Sun, but the other scores seem a bit too short for any real development. Regardless, there are some great cues amongst the whole.

Listening to Christopher Young's awesome score for Bless the Child. A haunting score that is truly impressive. Lux Aterna is freakin awesome!!!

It is a terrific score but I would have personally liked for Young to divide the music into more tracks so that navigating to your favourite part of the score would be a bit easier.

I personally really enjoy the symphony like arrangement of the score. But if you're just stopping by for a short visit for highlights, then I can see the problem.

Yes when you are in the mood the longer presentation works very well. But if you would like to get to that single wonderful choral or horror track (there are obviously individual cues put together into long suites on this one) then you have to fast forward or edit the suites down into individual cues. Young is one of the composers who can go very dissonant and harsh without the listening experience suffering from it. He without a doubt is also one of the most innovative and creative composers working in Hollywood, his music often using avant garde or unusual techniques both orchestral and choral. This is often lost under the label of "horror scoring" which he has done so long so effectively but he uses them in other material as well. Bless the Child is a good example of his great blend of very unsettling tones and harmonious choral majesty.

I see Michael Giacchino's Medal of Honor scores as a gradual progression from the shadow of his favourite composers into finding and utilizing his own voice. His music for the games shares a spirit similar to Williams' adventure scores and should I say homages them or alludes to them very effectively while the composer spins his own ideas and personality into the scores. Medal of Honor Frontline is a wonderful score that simply struck a chord with me, even more than the previous scores or Airborne. He blends operatic and serious tones with his adventure scoring with entertaining and moving results.

Spitfire Grill by James Horner: A charming smaller Horner score with lovely themes and unique atmosphere. This is to Horner what Fried Green Tomatoes was to Thomas Newman, a heart warming tale with a dash of local American colour and good old fashioned orchestral writing. There is a delicate rather magical feeling to half of the score dealing with the mystical forest aspect of the story, which would later pop up in other Horner's nature related scores, jaunty Americana quality to describe to locale and classic sweeping dramatics from this master of melodrama. Together they form an engaging and memorable 60 minute listening experience that is lyrical and soothing. I wish Horner would do more small and independent films since it seems to bring unique things out of him.

It's the kind of score where its composer is still looking for his own voice, but his enthusiasm and energy make up for any shortcomings.

Can't agree. Back then, Doyle had a very clear voice of his own. Much Ado About Nothing and Frankenstein are absolute classic Doyle. If anything, his then-established voice was limited in range, with minor projects often sounding rather a lot like his big hits. I've always felt that he lost something of his personal touch when he toned down his typical eccentricities in later years.

And of course, I hardly have to repeat this yet again: Frankenstein's love theme is one of the best. There are some fabulous variations on it missing on the album, too.

Ringing in my birthday early by opening Krull and putting it on. It's nice to get a new copy for a decent price, and the sound quality is amazing. The score sounds like it was recorded and mixed yesterday, rather than close to three decades ago. "Quest for Glaive", "Ride of the Firemares", and "Epilogue and End Title" deserve to be turned way up.

It's the kind of score where its composer is still looking for his own voice, but his enthusiasm and energy make up for any shortcomings.

Can't agree. Back then, Doyle had a very clear voice of his own. Much Ado About Nothing and Frankenstein are absolute classic Doyle. If anything, his then-established voice was limited in range, with minor projects often sounding rather a lot like his big hits. I've always felt that he lost something of his personal touch when he toned down his typical eccentricities in later years.

And of course, I hardly have to repeat this yet again: Frankenstein's love theme is one of the best. There are some fabulous variations on it missing on the album, too.

Spot on, Marian, I agree 100%

EPCOT Center's 1982 entrance medley. Musically inspiring all to be forward-thinking and optimistic like EPCOT Center itself. To believe in the promise of tomorrow. There is, after all, a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day.

Yes, I am a total sucker for Disney theme park music. Good choice!

Listened to 1941 today. That is a great score right there, let me tell ya.

EDIT: Just found Clemmenson's review. I don't care for the JWFan vs. Filmtracks sentiment (except as something Mark Twain might have appreciated), but he's wrong on this one. Or maybe he's right, and we've all been driven mad by the score. :P

Spot on, Marian, I agree 100%

I can't hear that voice. sadly. But then again, I'm not that familiar with his older works. Now I think he's got a very distinct, somewhat streamlined style, which I can identify.

Anyway, I didn't intend that remark to sound negative, for I enjoy Frankenstein quite a bit. It's a classy music.

Karol

In all honesty a lot of Doyle's early stuff sounds rather clunky in places and I have a feeling Lawrence Ashmore did a lot for his orchestration and sound in the beginning of his career. And on the other hand Henry V is not a bad first score to break into film scoring scene either. ;)

Because it sucks!

And does it well!

Karol

I say go for that sucker Bloodboal!

The Edge by Jerry Goldsmith: I think all that is good in Goldsmith is found in this gem from the mid-90's. A great main theme, a plethora of killer (pun intended) smaller motifs, vibrant and innovative orchestration and awesome trek music, furious and driving action and suspence music, plus surprising moments of sheer expressionistic beauty. It also works wonders in the film, adding immensely to the whole experience.

The Edge by Jerry Goldsmith: I think all that is good in Goldsmith is found in this gem from the mid-90's. A great main theme, a plethora of killer (pun intended) smaller motifs, vibrant and innovative orchestration and awesome trek music, furious and driving action and suspence music, plus surprising moments of sheer expressionistic beauty. It also works wonders in the film, adding immensely to the whole experience.

Agree with every word, apart from this one: 'adding'.

It just really got on my nerves.

I think most of the score serves the film extremely well. The only miss-step is the over use of the main theme for every travelling montage shot but I put blame of that on Tamahori's door. It feels like whenever there is even a hint of mountains in the film the theme pops up. :P

Because it sucks!

oh but how wrong you are...

Indeed. The Terminal is one awesome score! One of Williams' more unheralded gems!

I think most of the score serves the film extremely well. The only miss-step is the over use of the main theme for every travelling montage shot but I put blame of that on Tamahori's door. It feels like whenever there is even a hint of mountains in the film the theme pops up. :P

I really loved the score for the Edge. It has a fantastic main theme and the brass work is great in this score. I really appreciated how he takes his usually synth accents and writes them up for the orchestra, it really added to the beauty of the score. Loved it.

I haven't watched the film though.

Yep! This and Under Fire are my favorite Goldsmiths.

Krull - James Horner

I'm listening to it again. After some repeated listens, this is one of my favorite Horner scores. There are some cursory Wrath of Khan stylistic writing in the film, but the score is very much a creature of its own. It's gloriously overblown, especially the gorgeous love theme and heroic fanfare. The highlights are so irresistible... I can't imagine anyone considering themselves a Horner fan not liking it, or at least not liking some of the cues.

Next up is Doyle's Man to Man.

Man to Man - Patrick Doyle

Simply gorgeous. I like how the album is arranged for a listening experience, and at 39 minutes it never wears out its welcome. The theme is gorgeous and very tuneful, with more than a hint of John Barry chord progressions. And the mastering is great. I do hear shades of what Doyle would use in Thor and Rise of the Apes, so he hadn't lost that classical edge.

I walked into a produce store and at first I thought they were paying Bicentennial Man. As I listened I decided it was just different enough to the piece of music that James Horner must've stolen from. ":lol: