What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Spider-Man 2 - Danny Elfman

Even detached from the film, the score tells a complete story from beginning to end. The main title and finale music is better arranged here too, which I appreciate (the main titles for the first film sound inconsistent or spliced from different takes). "Armageddon/A Really Big Web" and "At Long Last, Love" shows how well Elfman can pull off grand finale music. No one does it better than him.

Rachmaninoff: Symphonies 1-3, Symphonic Dances, Scherzo in D Minor, Vocalise, and Isle of the Dead:

I've finally finished listening to this mammoth 3 CD set. It was great. The performance by the St. Petersburg Philharmonic Orchestra is top notch, and the pieces are very interesting. Rachmaninoff does some really cool stuff with Dies Irae, especially in Symphonic Dances and Isle of the Dead. The Scherzo is also really fun. I still can't believe this only cost me $7. If anybody else is interested, here's the link.

Rachmaninoff: Symphonies 1-3, Symphonic Dances, Scherzo in D Minor, Vocalise, and Isle of the Dead:

I've finally finished listening to this mammoth 3 CD set. It was great. The performance by the St. Petersburg Philharmonic Orchestra is top notch, and the pieces are very interesting. Rachmaninoff does some really cool stuff with Dies Irae, especially in Symphonic Dances and Isle of the Dead. The Scherzo is also really fun. I still can't believe this only cost me $7. If anybody else is interested, here's the link.

I might actually buy. Love his symphonies.

Karol

Rach Symphony No. 2 is a personal favorite of mine. Every movement has such wonderful individualistic character. The Eugene Ormandy recording with the Philadelphia Orchestra is classic.

Tim

1941 by John Williams: Rollercoaster ride of comedy and action. Puts a smile on my face every time. The trick is that Williams takes all the nonsense happening on the screen seriously most of the time although there is a good natured wink in his music throughout. :)

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, in honor of the late Richard Sherman.

Richard Sherman is still alive, it's Robert, the older one, who's passed.

Ran, by Toru Takemitsu. This is one of my all time favorites and I still consider it one of the greatest scores ever written. It is also one of the most excruciatingly sad musical pieces I have ever heard. Just listen to this excerpt, it is stunning stuff:

Ran, by Toru Takemitsu. This is one of my all time favorites and I still consider it one of the greatest scores ever written. It is also one of the most excruciatingly sad musical pieces I have ever heard. Just listen to this excerpt, it is stunning stuff:

:up:

It's the soul of the film.

Taras Bulba by Franz Waxman

Just got the Tadlow release. What can I say? Wow! A powerhouse score by any standards, great performance and recording. And probably the most authentic sounding Slavic sounding score ever.

Karol

John Carter by Michael Giacchino: I have listened to this several times and it sounds better after each listen. Giacchino obviously had fun exploring this scif-fi space opera styled scoring of his musical heroes and he does it with style. The score has a great collection of prerequisite themes for the hero (which is surprisingly thoughtful and romantic), a love theme, the villain theme and then some, the varied inhabitants of Mars receiving ethnically tinged music of their own that is both exotic and percussive. Some of these themes are subtler than others and required multiple listen to spot fully but it is a joy to hear the composer interweaving this material throughout the soundtrack with regularity and ease. Highlights are many but the John Carter of Mars suite at the end of the album is probably my favourite.

Definitely one of the composer's best efforts.

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home by Leonard Rosenman

A curious little score. While I'm not so sure if it holds up as well as some other Star Trek entries (I refer mostly to the Yellowjackets stuff), musically it is really good indeed. Apart from some more comical passages (which I like btw), I don't think it feels as out of place as some people say. Some really great otherworldly old school s-f writing in there. And I really like alternate take on titles/end titles with Alexander Courage theme appearing in full glory. Pity the whole work is so brief. All in all, I'll be revisiting this one shortly. Admirable.

Now onto Eidelman's entry!

Karol

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country by Cliff Eidelman

Now this is the score that doesn't exactly a free-flowing listening experience, but rather takes us on a suspensful and slow journey through betrayal and conspiracy. All the space opera elements, while present, have been considerably toned down. The music is quiet for the most part and I can see how a casual listener might be a bit bored with it. "Slow burn" would be a perfect description for both the film and its music. It is, however, a rewarding listen in the long run and Intrada's mix definitely helps to flesh out all the percussive/ethnic detail. I'm happy I bought this.

It's interesting to note that both of the Intrada releases (this and IV), in terms of design look exactly the same as FSM's II and III. A nice touch indeed.

Karol

Works for String Orchestra by Ralph Vaughan Williams: A compilation featuring Vaughan Williams' Oboe Concerto, Fantasia on the Theme by Thomas Tallis, Fantasia on Greensleeves, Concerto Grosso and Five Variants of Dives and Lazarus and performed by English String Orchestra conducted by William Boughton. The performances are very good and the music itself is pure Vaughan Williams in his most lyrical and melodic mode, rather exquisite.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Jerry Goldsmith

The fanfare is utterly magnificent, as is the end credits suite. Michael Giacchino should've used this theme for the reboot (and the subsequent sequel) instead of the crappy Alexander Courage one.

Jerry's Star Trek theme will always be the best trek theme for me. I can't help but get pumped up hearing that music.

Lady in the Water - James Newton Howard

beautiful score, lousy movie.

True. JNH's scores for Shyamalan movies usually transcend the films themselves. Some of his strongest works.

Michael Giacchino should've used this theme for the reboot (and the subsequent sequel) instead of the crappy Alexander Courage one.

Goldsmith's music is too spectaculr and serious for that movie. Courage's and Giacchino's own goofy themes fit more considering the tone of the movie with all the silly throwbacks and parodies of the show. Courage came up with a great fanfare, but that theme was overall campy and certainly dated. Goldsmith's score is one for all time.

Purists may disagree, but Goldsmith's theme IS Star Trek, musically.

The Spitfire Grill by James Horner

Perfume by Thomas Tykwer et al.

Super 8 by Michael Giacchino

The Mummy by Jerry Goldsmith

Stanley and Iris by John Williams

The Eiger Sanction by John Williams

:lol: Demanding crowd.

I'll write longer essays on them all later. OK BloodBoal?

Agora (Dario Marianelli)

This score never fails to touch me. Its so brilliantly executed. Marianelli utilizes powerful textures with intelligent thematic structures to represent the rise and fall of the civilizations. There is true power to this score. The way the composer captures the raw sound of the orchestra and ethnic elements really rattle the grounds when played out on the speakers. And that finale...wow, it never gets old. There are moments in this score where I break down, and then there are moments of sheer awe. This is just such an amazing score....love it to bits. Definitely the best score of 2009!

- KK

Agora (Dario Marianelli)

This score never fails to touch me. Its so brilliantly executed. Marianelli utilizes powerful textures with intelligent thematic structures to represent the rise and fall of the civilizations. There is true power to this score. The way the composer captures the raw sound of the orchestra and ethnic elements really rattle the grounds when played out on the speakers. And that finale...wow, it never gets old. There are moments in this score where I break down, and then there are moments of sheer awe. This is just such an amazing score....love it to bits. Definitely the best score of 2009!

- KK

I dislike the use of the voice sometimes. I think the final track would sound better without the voice, for example.

Journey 2 by Andrew Lockington

What a fun score :) I've had the themes going through my head all day, and while there are some synths, the orchestra always gets back to the front.

Also listened to some of John Carter. Starts out great, although it tailed off a little bit around track 8.

Agora (Dario Marianelli) This score never fails to touch me. Its so brilliantly executed. Marianelli utilizes powerful textures with intelligent thematic structures to represent the rise and fall of the civilizations. There is true power to this score. The way the composer captures the raw sound of the orchestra and ethnic elements really rattle the grounds when played out on the speakers. And that finale...wow, it never gets old. There are moments in this score where I break down, and then there are moments of sheer awe. This is just such an amazing score....love it to bits. Definitely the best score of 2009! - KK
I dislike the use of the voice sometimes. I think the final track would sound better without the voice, for example.

Really? Thats a shame. I thought the voice was an integral part of the score and I thought it added to the score brilliantly. Its use in the finale was intoxicating to me. Oh well, different strokes for different folks I guess...

John Williams and Yo Yo Ma Play Music from Memoirs of a Giesha (iTunes Exclusive):

The music is fantastic. I wish all JW scores got this treatment--generous OSTs, concert suites of even minor themes, duets featuring the maestro himself, and an interview with JW and a key soloist.

And I love that the interview was included - some cool information, etc. But I can't help but cringe when I listen to it. Hearing somebody praise JW in isolation is quite enjoyable. But hearing it when the feelings are mutual and the other person is in the room...it's just so awkward. Maybe it's because the sound quality is pretty good for an interview and it's in stereo, so it feels like you're in the room third wheeling it up. Neither of the interviewees are great at articulating an idea--Williams is always understandable, although usually he bombards each sentence with large, often redundant words and phrases. But Yo Yo Ma sometimes sounds a little...crazy. Like when he says JW is a great composer because you can "literally hear the spaces between the notes." WTF?! Fantastic player, and from what I understand a really nice guy, but he's not helping this interview. Then there's JW's stomach grumblings (on the plus side, it's definitely not a fart)...just a really awkward interview.

Black Gold - James Horner

I don't think this score has gotten much attention, probably because it's not a big film, but it's certainly big music! It's really gorgeous, I'm loving it to death. It's probably my favorite 2012 score thus far. Really rich writing that evokes that old desert sound, expansiveness, beauty. People can knock on Horner, but his music really is powerful. I highly recommend this score to anyone who enjoys Horner's work!

I like it quite a bit too. It's all you describe and yet doesn't go overboard (as it often happens with Horner). Tastefully done.

Karol

Exactly, it's very tastefully done. Even the vocal solos in the score aren't really over the top, in fact they're quite musical.

They're not over the top at all. The vocals are masterfully blended with the orchestra that it creates an intoxicating musical effect. Brilliant stuff. Loved it!

it was to have been Titanic but my mp3 player died but not before it began to randomly delete sections of music.

Now I get to start all over again. This time I will put the indy scores on there.

The Ghost Writer by Alexandre Desplat

I think that this, apart from The Golden Compass might be Despalt's best work. Works wonderfully both on album and in the film.

Lost: The Last Episodes by Michael Giacchino

Karol

I don't think this score has gotten much attention, probably because it's not a big film, but it's certainly big music! It's really gorgeous, I'm loving it to death. It's probably my favorite 2012 score thus far. Really rich writing that evokes that old desert sound, expansiveness, beauty. People can knock on Horner, but his music really is powerful. I highly recommend this score to anyone who enjoys Horner's work!

We discussed it a fair amount, there's an entire thread about it here: http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21059

The Ghost Writer by Alexandre Desplat

I think that this, apart from The Golden Compass might be Despalt's best work. Works wonderfully both on album and in the film.

Lost: The Last Episodes by Michael Giacchino

Karol

Ghost Writer is an excellent score indeed. I would say it works very well in the film and equally if not better on the album.

Lost the Last Episodes is definitely my favourite Lost album, containing the brilliant music from Across the Sea and the series finale. Giacchino's music just shines throughout.

We discussed it a fair amount, there's an entire thread about it here: http://www.jwfan.com...showtopic=21059

The score has gotten fairly positive reception and it is a very sweeping and entertaining one from Horner. He handles the ethnic and symphonic aspects in great balance and does it with his customary dramatic sweep and skill. You certainly can't deny the power of his music.