What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

I forgot about Shore completely for some reason. It'd be interesting to hear what Shore would have to do for a more traditional summer blockbuster assignment, although he doesn't get those because he's Shore.

I forgot about Shore completely for some reason. It'd be interesting to hear what Shore would have to do for a more traditional summer blockbuster assignment, although he doesn't get those because he's Shore.

We may yet have hope of Shore scoring Transformers 59 - Still going on, Though Not so Strong or some such in the near future.

The RCP recepy for a film score is sadly deeply ingrained now into the film making business model. Play it safe, play RCP. RCP has its finger on the slowly fading pulse of the movie going audiences.

Play it safe, play RCP.

Sounds like the slogan for an ad campaign against HIV.

Do you have statistics on how the music of RCP affects the HIV?

spiel_empire1_zps0333bc1b.jpg

Empire Of The Sun: Rarely talked about at JWfan but this score probably represents the height of Willams' career. A completely interesting musical journey from A to Z. 10/10

Alex

It is a very varied journey, one of the most eclectic among Spielberg/Williams collaborations and it still works. Williams can't of course abandon themes, which are so ingrained in his writing but this score has more of a setpiece nature, with these larger individual moments of varying moods and development of a central idea. And still it all plays out brilliantly. One of his most haunting scores as well with strong sense of spiritual depth, the music becoming the main character's very essence. I only wish for a complete release of this (I assume Jason meant this by remastering) as for me there can't be enough of this music. A few highlights still remain unreleased from this one.

I still remember when I first heard The Cadillac of the Skies (Concert Version), the first piece of music I listened from this score. A soul stirring moment. Such exultation of spirit in that piece. The film version is as tragic as it is uplifting.

:up:

There's an almost perfect and varying (hardly any alternate versions on this album) balance between melody/harmony/structure ... and discordant mood pieces. At the end of the album, one almost has the feeling of having traveled a certain distance. It's not just listening to notes, you are actually experiencing the music. Indeed, it affects the soul.

Alex

I'm listening to The Cape again. Just a fine "old fashioned" superhero score filtered through McCreary's sensibilities, like the delightful "Carnival of Crime" motif spun off into several different iterations. And the main theme gets moments of progression, snippets here and there, and its full glorious concert arrangement at the beginning of the album.

I don't hear much of that Williams sound McCreary mentioned was an influence, but the Elfman and Walker influences are clear as day. Especially the action cues like "Out the Window" and "Kitchen Battle." (Except that annoying electric guitar beat for Scales.)

I think it's McCreary's finest work to date. It's an accessible and melodic work, and it holds up well to repeated listens.

Is it a sequel to 1941???

No Stefan. Not even close. First of all it is not nearly as funny.

The Hobbit films and Indiana Jones 4 are the only Hollywood Blockbusters that come to mind from the past 5 years or so.... but it depends on what you mean by MV/RCP elements, because I would say Star Trek and Mission Impossible 4, as well as Super 8 (if that counts as a blockbuster) qualify as well

I haven't seen / heard Voyage of the Dawn Treader, does that have synth beats?

How about Avatar?

Alice in Wonderland?

Do Pixar films count?

Even Skyfall, Amazing Spider-man, and I think Men In Black III (I haven't heard that one yet either) have rcp elements....

Oz? Tintin?

Karol

A sequel is never as good as the original.

Yeah they even replaced Wild Bill Kelson with a 11 year old Christian Bale. That was a sure sign of a failure.

Oz? Tintin?

Karol

Yeah those are pretty much RCP free material. Although Tintin doesn't strike me as a blockbuster somehow. It doesn't have that kind of halo around it as say Transformers or Clash of the Titans or even Avatar.

Star Trek Into Darkness.

The dry knock of an idiotic hammer penetrates the utter stillness. One, two, three, ten, twenty strikes, and afterwards, a wild whistling and squeaking, as if a ball of mud was falling into clear water. Then follows a rattling, howling and screaming, like the clamour of a metal pig, the cry of a donkey, or the amorous croaking of a monstrous frog. The offensive chaos of this insanity combines into a compulsive pulsing rhythm. Listening to this screaming for only a few minutes, and one involuntarily pictures an orchestra of sexually wound-up man men, conducted by a stallion-like creature who is swinging his giant genitals.

Poltergeist 2 by Jerry Goldsmith: A very interesting and different sequel score with much more prominent use of synthesizers and almost completely new thematic ideas. Goldsmith creates another rather ethereal, alien and at time fiercely creepy horror/fantasy score that is full of unique sounds and experimentations both in synths and in voices.

Is it a sequel to 1941???

You haven't seen or heard The Empire of the Sun?

What kind of jwfan are you? :)

He's a Goldsmith fan first but I guess JGfan.com isn't as cozy a place as JWfan.com.

The Wolfman - Danny Elfman

I just took a listen to this score too.It really rises above most of Elfman's recent output in my ears. It is a great homage to the horror movie music of the yesteryear and yet Elfman's own voice shines through in execution and style. Kilar is subliminal influence on the main motivic idea but the rest is almost sepia toned gothic orchestral mayhem and darkly dramatic and romantic scoring that simply sweeps me away. The album is also a very well arranged experience of this score, where the composer had a chance to present his music in a cohesive manner after the way it was so ill-treated in the film.

Jane Eyre by Dario Marianelli: This score keeps getting better and better.

:music:Journey by Austin Wintory

I just took a listen to this score too.It really rises above most of Elfman's recent output in my ears. It is a great homage to the horror movie music of the yesteryear and yet Elfman's own voice shines through in execution and style. Kilar is subliminal influence on the main motivic idea but the rest is almost sepia toned gothic orchestral mayhem and darkly dramatic and romantic scoring that simply sweeps me away. The album is also a very well arranged experience of this score, where the composer had a chance to present his music in a cohesive manner after the way it was so ill-treated in the film.

The album was sadly missing that terrific climax and finale music in the film.... Conrad Pope wrote it in Elfman's style (and he did a good job!). Would've loved to hear that and the end title arrangement in the album.

Up - by Michael Giacchino

I haven't listened to it in a year or so and I adore it. The film and score seemed an homage to a different era, much like Super 8, though to very different times. A friend once critiqued the score to Up as being to repetitive in that the main theme is used so often throughout. That's actually part of what I like about it. When I love a theme as I do this one, I love hearing it and variations of it peppered throughout the score. One of my criticisms of Giacchino's Info Dadkness score is that there are not many ( if any ) really effective variations of his main theme. Oddly enough, Chad Seiter's game score presents much better variations on the theme than does the actual film score.

Now playing / The X-Files, Vol. 2. I finally got it ripped and imported. I love what I'm hearing so far.

The Wolfman is one of the very best scores from Danny Elfman and it shows a more mature side from him.

Karol

Close Encounters of the Third Kind by John Williams: Challenging, avant garde, scary, romantic, majestic, lyrical, a magical journey through apprehension and fear to a beautiful uplifting resolution of pure wonderment and peace. Such a unique score in Williams' ouvre and it is not hard to hear why he himself considers it so special.

Until September - John Barry

I revisit it sparingly, but it's one of Barry's lesser-known gems. That simple but long-lined theme is gorgeous, and while the electronics do date it, it's quite a lovely romantic score. Barry does vary the different guises of his themes with some nice guitar and saxophone solos.

Twilight Saga: New Moon - Alexandre Desplat

Exquisite. Forget the silly movie, the score has all the romance and soul here. "Edward Leaves" and "Marry Me Bella" is both overblown in its romantic longing, but it's wonderful. The orchestration is clear and beautiful, and as a Desplat fan, I love him in this mode.