What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

I have to check out that album sometime.

I know Doug has ranted about that album, calling it a poor transcription now and then.

Enlighten me, what's a transcription?

The music has been transcribed by someone in part or entirely by ear and thus it is not the actual "official" printed sheet music. Or this is what I take it to be also in this case.

E.g. Nino Rota's Romeo and Juliet was transcribed by ear (with the help of later concert suites and film) by Mike Townend for the Silva Screen re-recording. John Williams had to transcribe his Jane Eyre suite based on the score album when he wanted to create a concert suite from the score in 1980's for Boston Pops as the actual written scores had been destroyed when studio emptied their warehouses and threw out many classic scores as they were said to be a fire hazard by the insurance companies.

Basically this album wasn't recorded from Howard Shore's sketches, but was instead reconstructed by hear. In other words, it's not strictly official.

Karol

Exactly.

If you want to hear an job amazingly done on James Fitzpatrick you need to check out, again, their Goldsmith releases - QBVII and The Salamander. Now, that is an stunning by-ear job. And Romeo and Juliet, that Incanus mentioned.

Karol

Funnily enough I'm right now listening to The Salamander. Excellent recording, though it'll never become a top Goldsmith for me.

QB VII. That one's even harder to get through. Great themes but there's too much filler to hold my interest for 100 minutes.

I would say I love to have the original recordings for the film for any score but I am always open to hearing new re-recordings and interpretations, especially considering how big leaps the recording techonology has made. No it won't be exactly like the original but it will be a new look at the old score. Just like Conan, just like Hour of the Gun, just like Romeo and Juliet.

Meet Joe Black by Thomas Newman: The very soul of romance, yearning, letting go and acceptance in musical form.

Which album were you listening to?

The old standard Varese release (the only version I have). I played it again yesterday. Still doesn't do much for me.

QB VII. That one's even harder to get through. Great themes but there's too much filler to hold my interest for 100 minutes.

I was a bit underwhelmed by it after reading so many great things about it for years. There must be more to it than I've discovered so far. But for now, Salamander had more of an impact on me.

Sure it's fine, but imagine what a new performance in the style of Conan could do.

I'd still like them to do The Blue Max.

Marian, that old album is absolutely awful. Not only does it represent just a third of music, but it also fails to contain most of the climactic action setpieces. Or any setpieces, for that matter. Not to mention the film version of Finlandia which weaves Kamen's themes in and out. It's worse than some Goldsmith albums and almost as bad as the third scores' album. Completely useless and in no way a basis to judge this phenomenal score. It's largely an expansion of the material of first film but more bulky and muscular.

Karol

I've just picked up a copy of Cliff Eidelman's The Alien Trilogy compilation. It's really good performance, actually. Definitely a good sampler of three scores in one neat suite album. Good to hear Horner's material in better sound. And I see Botnick was involved in it as well.

Karol

I've begun the long process of listening to the Star Trek TOS Soundtrack Collection. Very rewarding - I'm glad I finally made the purchase, despite the cost. It's great to be able to break down who wrote what, and for what episode, and when.

I had that set for a year and a half before I sat down to tag it and get it onto my iPod. I love the LP style cover art that a poster at FSM created for each disc. I listened to a few discs while driving.

I have actually a big desire to get this set. No idea, perhaps because of all the amazing feedback it got. But, at the same time, I've not watched the show, except for a few episodes. Perhaps, seeing it will help me decide. :)

Karol

I've begun the long process of listening to the Star Trek TOS Soundtrack Collection. Very rewarding - I'm glad I finally made the purchase, despite the cost. It's great to be able to break down who wrote what, and for what episode, and when.

(Y)

I have actually a big desire to get this set. No idea, perhaps because of all the amazing feedback it got. But, at the same time, I've not watched the show, except for a few episodes. Perhaps, seeing it will help me decide. :)

I would definitely watch at least a few more episodes. Frankly, a lot of the music sounds exactly like what it is: dated 60s television scoring recorded in mono with small ensembles. Which is perfectly fine with me, but it may not be everyone's cup of tea.

But yeah, there's still some really good stuff in there, and for fans of the show, it's incredibly evocative. (Some of the music was tracked and reused over and over again in multiple episodes, so it really gets ingrained into your memory!) And the quality of the release itself is just fantastic - I mean, I basically justified the purchase by reminding myself that I will quite literally never have to buy another TOS album for my entire life. :P

I love the Fried scores the best.

Selections from Hyrule Warriors - Various.

Kind of dissapointing, though I hear that each track has various versions including some that sound more orchestral.

Moby Dick by Christopher Gordon: A fantastic score of seafaring magnificence combined with a deft musical psychological portrait.

Moby Dick by Christopher Gordon: A fantastic score of seafaring magnificence combined with a deft musical psychological portrait.

It's still my favourite Gordon score. But he doesn't do enough film work. Anyone familiar with his concert music?

Indeed, fantastic album.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles by Brian Tyler. I'd say this is by far the best big action score he's done so far.

Kaorl

The movie was so noisy, I didn't even notice the music. Does the score meet Tyler's usual brickwall M.O.?

Aegis, an aggressive actioner written by Trevor Jones with a vitality that has otherwise largely eluded his post-From Hell efforts. The Dark City elements are there, but not photocopied in the manner of Merlin or The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

The Towering Inferno, E.T., Hook, Charles Gerhardt The Empire Strikes Back, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Star Wars (Anthology). Dear God, it was great.

"TTI". You started with the best, dude! I haven't heard the Gerhardt "ESB" in years! The Anthology sounds great; nothing wrong with "ROTJ" at all!

Nah, the themes is just similar in its first three notes. I was only joking.

:music: The Boxtrolls

Karol

Lol so was I, but 3 notes is all you need. ;)

Is the Boxtrolls up on Spotify too?